Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 13:49

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
My MSG symptom is an excruciating headache. Enough to make me extremely wary on top of the other problems with run-of-the-mill Chinese.

Yes that's the most obvious reaction most people have but I think there's a lot more that we just ignore and pass it off as something else.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:07

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

There is a "traditional" Chinese restaurant where I live. It's pretty high-end and popular. But it's all "traditional" cooking, meaning MSG and loads of sugar. Who is cooking without that stuff when the trendy, hip Chinese place is all circa-1950? It's SO good, though, and you can ask for no MSG (but not no sugar - that they won't do).
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
There is a "traditional" Chinese restaurant where I live. It's pretty high-end and popular. But it's all "traditional" cooking, meaning MSG and loads of sugar. Who is cooking without that stuff when the trendy, hip Chinese place is all circa-1950? It's SO good, though, and you can ask for no MSG (but not no sugar - that they won't do).

That's because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Yes, they have two sauces that any untrained person in the kitchens can do, a white corn starch sauce and a red bottled corn syrup sauce...that's it. Then consider the crappy oil that's used and it's nothing but a hot mess.....talk about ruining good food!!

They don't have chefs in the kitchens, they have untrained cooks (qualified to work at McDonalds) who know nothing But using the Red or White stuff...
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

So-called Chinese food is an entirely American invention, which is where we get the sugary sauces and breaded meats.

Mr WereBear, when he's feeling up to it, learned to cook from the show Yan Can Cook, and the real Chinese stuff tends toward bite-sized pieces of meat and veg, stir fried, and with very piquant (in Hunan and Szechuan, quite hot) sauces. Most of the real Chinese cooking has no wheat flour at all, except the regions who grow wheat, and have noodles.
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I had a doctor tell me once I was really lucky to get signals from my food (sensitivities). She said a lot of people don't get that feedback to they just keep eating junk. I think it's probably more that they are not attuned to it, though. It's true that it's a skill some people have no idea how to work on.

One of the reasons people don't get attuned to it is because they're eating so many unhealthy things. For years I would get horrible muscle & joint aches - drove me crazy. Assuming it was something I was eating, I would not eat something for a while, but nothing happened. It wasn't until I had restricted my diet enough with lc that I was able to pinpoint it to cheese - the one dairy food I would binge on (and still do at times ). Turns out that allergies to dairy protein are a thing.

As long as I don't binge, I'm OK, but I do better when I don't eat any cheese at all. Butter & cream don't seem to do anything, but I don't eat either in large amounts.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:54

BF:

The hot and sour soup, I think they buy it pre-made by the gallon can full and warm it up and throw in a few pieces of tofu. It's exactly the same every where you go. Then if you refrigerate it, you realize that it's chuck full of thickener (corn starch) because it solidifies into a jelly like blob.

I do stir fry too. Very high heat stirring constantly and that's when I use sesame oil because all of the bottled stir-fry sauces on the grocery shelf are sugar laden, every single one.
Fresh sliced ginger, garlic and sesame oil go a long way to create flavor without the sugar.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:58

BF:

Har! I just googled "low carb hot and sour soup" and the one I got back was 20 net carbs a serving.

Don't think so.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 15:04

BF:

Egg drop is good if you make it yourself. Chicken broth (homemade is best but canned can do in a pinch) warmed really hot and just drizzle and stir in some scrambled egg.
Probably pretty close to 0 carbs this way. Or 1/2g carb for the egg.
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 15:07

BF:

Quote:
So-called Chinese food is an entirely American invention, which is where we get the sugary sauces and breaded meats.

Mr WereBear, when he's feeling up to it, learned to cook from the show Yan Can Cook, and the real Chinese stuff tends toward bite-sized pieces of meat and veg, stir fried, and with very piquant (in Hunan and Szechuan, quite hot) sauces. Most of the real Chinese cooking has no wheat flour at all, except the regions who grow wheat, and have noodles.

I always thought that, too, but I don't think it's true after talking to a friend who is a Chinese food expert. Chinese cooking has been a highly developed cuisine linked to wealth. Everything about it is unhealthy from the sugar and grains to the fact that everything is cut up small (leads to jaw issues). And it is like that in China, too, except for the poor (my friend grew up in a very poor village) It is a cuisine of civilization (ie. chronic disease) that Americans have somehow been able to market as "healthy" via transforming it into just stir fry meat and vegetables which is not really the authentic high cuisine. Szechuan cooking almost always has sugar, as far as I know - traditionally. A lot of China bases its cuisine on wheat. It is the staple in the north.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 15:31

BF:

Quote:
I always thought that, too, but I don't think it's true after talking to a friend who is a Chinese food expert. Chinese cooking has been a highly developed cuisine linked to wealth. Everything about it is unhealthy from the sugar and grains to the fact that everything is cut up small (leads to jaw issues). And it is like that in China, too, except for the poor (my friend grew up in a very poor village) It is a cuisine of civilization (ie. chronic disease) that Americans have somehow been able to market as "healthy" via transforming it into just stir fry meat and vegetables which is not really the authentic high cuisine. Szechuan cooking almost always has sugar, as far as I know - traditionally. A lot of China bases its cuisine on wheat. It is the staple in the north.

Ah, this must be what Mr WereBear is basing that on. Thanks!
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 17:41

BF:

Quote:
Ah, this must be what Mr WereBear is basing that on. Thanks!

It's another way that Ancel Keyes stuff got shoved down our throats! My friend is really interested in healthful eating. Totally different approach than low carb but at least no sugar, etc. But she grew up with nothing.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 22:20
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I'm from mid southern coastal California, where there is an immense amount of food from around the world, and the people making it are generally from that part of the world.

I now live on the flat edge of the Ozarks, where the palate is completely different. If you took the blandest food you know, and then removed most the salt and pepper even, that's about the midzone here. It boggles my mind.

As a result, what little 'foreign' food (?! as if anything is foreign in today's age) there is, is completely tasteless, because they cannot offend locals by infusing it with something frightening like real flavor.

So all the chinese places operate just like the one you mentioned meme. I have one right across the street from me. By this I mean literally right across the street... 10 steps from my driveway is the back driveway of that place. The smell is so incredibly good. But I know what it's like in ingredients.

One thing I recently did was buy some legit ingredients for more Thai food (galangal, lime leaves, Tamarind (Imli) paste, lemon grass, etc.) so I could have more food that is wonderfully spicy and yummy in my own way. That way when "the smell of black pepper pork I love so much" is wafting in my front window (gaaaahhhhh!) I can at least make my own food!

PJ

PS and I'm pretty sure there is no Thai food within hours of me
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-19, 03:59

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
In the past six years, I have explained LC to hundreds of people and the only one successfully living it is a woman who had to take care of her diabetic Mom for years. When she got her own diagnosis...that finally made her take her health seriously. So many others have multiple health issues and take meds rather than do anything about their eating. For some, eating and drinking IS their social life. It is hard not to snap when they get excited about the newest micro-brewery, giant portion eatery or buffet. With family, it is much harder to ignore their self-destruction, because you may see yourself tending to diabetic wound care or a stroke patient in the future. But agree with Jams...You Do You. Keep up the great work, know that you will continue to value your health for your lifetime.

Interesting new post by the LC RN. When she was a nurse in training, T2 was called non-insulin dependent diabetes. What a twisted road since then. The suggestion is to call T2 a Lifestyle Disease, make it clear there is a choice. The article covers more about genetic tendency but to think this all happened in our lifetime is scary.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...ring-the-lines/

heart breaking, none of my family members also change their diet. Especially my brother and sister (both obese ) Eating good high carb junk food is a part of their social life.
some friends tried it after 3-4 days they just turn back to normal eating .
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-19, 06:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfat
heart breaking, none of my family members also change their diet. Especially my brother and sister (both obese ) Eating good high carb junk food is a part of their social life.
some friends tried it after 3-4 days they just turn back to normal eating .

Yes, I have family members with diabetes diagnoses who believe their doctors instead of me. And okay, that’s fair: but what about when doing what their doctor tells them doesn’t work?
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-19, 23:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I like Janet's observation that eating and drinking are socially driven. It's very obvious to me that along with the social dynamic, some, like myself, become carb addicted along the way to make this dynamic even more powerful and difficult to change. When one starts a low carb journey, the change in eating is very dramatic, and unless one realizes that this change is powerful enough to save one's life, improve health, and extend one's lifespan, the journey will be very short. Not for the faint of heart, so, again, no disdain from me at all.