Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 07:23

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Something similar, although with less dramatic numbers, happened to my partner. He had been on low-carb for just a couple of months when he had his blood sugar and A-1 C taken. His fasting blood sugar was normal, and his after meal reading was good.... 120-ish, so the first doctor who looked at his numbers said, oh you don't have a blood sugar problem. But then they measured his A1 C and it was 7.2, because it is a rolling three-month average, and it included the time before he went on a low-carb diet. So his current blood sugar reading and his A1C were out of sync like yours.

He was diagnosed as being diabetic and the doctors wanted to put him on drugs immediately. But we insisted on lifestyle change... And chose a new doctor. In the next three months, he got his A1 C down to 5.0, which is solidly in the normal range, not even prediabetic. His diagnosis has been reversed. His insulin sensitivity test also was in the normal range at that time.

But this does not mean that he can go back to eating normally, because if he goes back to what he was doing before, he will have the same results that he had before. So we are both firmly in the low-carb camp, with no medication at all.

I will say however that once we chose a doctor, I insisted that it be somebody who accepted the low-carb way of eating.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 07:28

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I just wanted to add that since your A-1 C is a lot higher than my partner's was, you may need to take a slightly different path. I know it's important to get blood sugar down.

But until you've been on a low-carb diet for three solid months, you can't have an accurate A1 C reading that measures how your body is responding to the new way of eating. You will, however, have your daily fasting glucose numbers, and those will give you a more accurate picture than the outdated A-1 C, which is still measuring the results of how you were eating before. I think you should talk to your doctor about what that target should be.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 10:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

While I am a huge proponent of using lifestyle changes, I am sorry but with an A1C of 12.4, insulin is appropriate. You can easily slip into diabetic keto acidosis at that level, which kills within days if you don't make it to ICU.
However, I agree strongly Dr should have called you directly. You need a lot of help getting started with all these changes. Shame on him.

So glad you have already been able to get your blood sugar down so quickly- that's great! Just remember, most people don't change overnight like you did- that is why your dr said to use insulin. As high as you were, it is imminent life or death situation.....
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 13:37

Plan: Keto Diet (LCHF)
Stats: 267/220/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I think what I am hearing is the best thing is to carefully monitor my glucose and as long as it looks good keep doing what I am doing. I also should get with my doctor make sure that we are seeing this the same way. It is also probably a good idea to find a doctor that is versed in nutrition as it will be more in line with what I think is always the first defense.

Thanks for the great comments.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 14:36

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

jcm13, are you recording all of your BG numbers? Having 3 months of data to show your doctor would be helpful. The young doctor might not be a complete write off. S/he is just doing what was taught in med school. With little patient interaction they often assume that fat people are lazy and don't want to change and just want a pill or shot. When you show them that you want to and can change, they sometimes come around and will deal with the data and the person.

Insulin doses (or none) should be based on today's BG#s, not A1C.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-17, 08:54

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

See, I guess I am more of a rebel. My doctor can write a prescription, but once I leave the office, he cannot make me take it. I don't make that decision lightly. If I do my homework, and I feel I can correct the situation with lifestyle changes, I try that first, and then see if there's an improvement with my next lab work. My cardiologist does not know that I eat low carb. He doesn't ask, I don't say. But as long as my lab work is good, he's happy. My PCP is accepting of a low carb diet.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-17, 09:48

BF:

deirdra - Yep, I am tracking all my numbers in an app on my phone. I have at least 2 measures a day of glucose. Always when I first wake, always before bed. Then some other random times. I will take him the data and see what he thinks.

Looking at the test results he had to go on, I understand his approach of trying to medicate then solve. All said, I believe I have it under control without starting the medication, but he cannot really know that for another 2 months (A1c was 1 month ago) when I retest.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-17, 14:13

BF:

PaCarolSue - I am looking forward to seeing my numbers in a couple of months. I am sure it will be shocking for the doc. A couple of years ago I did an all plant based (vegan) diet for 6 months between doctor visits and it shocked my doc at the time. I think this LCHF diet is the right thing for diabetes and will get me great results.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-17, 15:05
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm13
... I think this LCHF diet is the right thing for diabetes and will get me great results.

It sure did the trick for me. The year before I started LCHF I was diabetic and did not know it. I later learned that I had all the symptoms - including diabetic nerve pain, constant thirst, bouts of blurry vision, and total lack of energy. I was 5 weeks into the diet when I had my first A1c. It was 6.7 at the time, but I'm sure it would have been much higher had it been done prior to starting the diet. My doctor was puzzled why my A1c showed I was diabetic but my fasting blood glucose reading was normal. I told her I was on a low carb diet. Rather than prescribe medication, she told me to keep doing what I am doing and come pack in 3 months for another A1c. I did just that and my A1c was down to 6.0 (pre-diabetic). At my next annual checkup 9 months after that my A1c was 5.1 - totally normal. My doctor said "It looks like you cured your diabetes." Those are her words, not mine. That was 3 years ago. I've since had two more annual checkups and both of my A1c scores were in the normal range. I still eat low carb. That is what fixed my diabetes. That is how I need to eat.

I look forward to seeing your next A1c results as well. Stay low carb and I know the score will be much improved.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-17, 19:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can get your A1c tested on your own. Walmart sells the tests and I'm sure if you google you can find online labs and such that will sell it to you.

Labs do make mistakes, so it would be good to get a confirmation.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-08-17, 07:18

BF:

khrussva - That is inspiring. I hope I am able to have the kind of success you have seen. I would certainly prefer a life of LCHF to a life of injecting myself with needles and popping pills. Not to mention getting rid of this belly is just icing on the cake.

Nancy LC - I just got one of those A1c tests from Walmart. I will do it in the next couple of days. I will take it with a grain of salt since it has not been a full 90 days since the test the doc had me take, but at least it should give me some idea if the test I took for the doctor was within reason.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-08-17, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm13
PaCarolSue - I am looking forward to seeing my numbers in a couple of months. I am sure it will be shocking for the doc. A couple of years ago I did an all plant based (vegan) diet for 6 months between doctor visits and it shocked my doc at the time. I think this LCHF diet is the right thing for diabetes and will get me great results.

I am curious to know what the plant based diet did for you, that shocked your doctor.

There are some that recommend a plant based diet for diabetes control, such as Dr Joel Fuhrman.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Apr-08-17, 11:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
I am curious to know what the plant based diet did for you, that shocked your doctor.

This was about 3 or 4 years ago, but my doctor (at the time) told me my cholesterol was too high, I was over weight and that I was pre-diabetic (I do not remember the A1C then but it must have been around 6). He suggested to use portion control and to follow a Mediterranean diet like South Beach. He was very focused on glycemic index. I had seen the movie Forks over Kinves and it made sense except the part about not eating fish. So I held to the Vegan diet for a number of months and the next time I went back to see him, my numbers were much better, I had lost 20 lbs of weight and taken up jogging because of the extra energy I had from the diet.

He was shocked that I changed so fast and was still eating whole wheat pasta, white potatoes and whole wheat bread as much as I wanted. But, no meat, no dairy (no milk, cheese, butter...). No eggs either. Nothing that came from an animal. I became and expert at making tofu scramble and using nutritional yeast. He said he did not believe I could keep eating white potatoes and get those results, but that was what I did. I did also have to avoid oils, so almost every thing was boiled/steamed/baked with no oil.

In retrospect, it may be that humans can go either way, (low carb or vegan) to achieve the same result, but I am focusing on the low carb now because I can understand the direct relationship to diabetes. So far, so good.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-17, 15:38

That's interesting. Thanks. I understand that vegan can be healthy, but although I could cut back on animal products, I think I would have a hard time giving them up altogether.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 15:18

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I just wanted to chime in here since I started my final low carb journey with an a1c of 12. My fasting blood sugar on that day was 238, so definitely no mistake! I got a phone call to come in within the next day or two at the latest. At that follow-up, I was told that normally with an a1c that high, they would start me on insulin, but since I seemed motivated, the doc said, she was trusting I would be compliant. All that to say, starting you on insulin with that a1c is probably the standard of care, though not bringing you in to discuss insulin dosing and teaching you to use the meter seems a bit odd.

I was indeed compliant, though not with her dietary recommendations. I was compliant with the prescribed meds (metformin) and started my own dietary intervention - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. My BG's remained over 150 for a week or two, but then dropped down to numbers similar to yours. My a1c was 9 in 1 month and 6.5 at 3 months.

2.5 years later, my a1c has been below 5.3 for a year and a half. And I lost 50lbs. None of the various doctors nor the diabetic counselor I have seen since that first day have recommended or really even supported low carb, though they don't argue with me since you can't argue with my numbers.

So like the others here have said, just keep on doing what you are doing, repeat the test in 3 months and go to the doc armed with your data. I would recommend checking your BG after your meals though, especially your carbiest or highest protein one, to see how high it goes at the 1,2 or 3 hour mark. That is an excellent interim test for how your body is responding.