Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 13:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Insulin lowering
Stats: 144/134/122 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Exhaustion - what does my body need?

OK, I know I need a little more sleep, but you could almost set a clock to my afternoon slump. By 2:00, I could lay down and be asleep within 1-2 minutes, quite literally. It's not that my body is exhausted, but I am overcome with the need to sleep. It is so hard driving home at 3:00. I've been tired before, but it's usually an all-day sleepy, not this sudden onset.

I haven't changed my diet. I'm NOT pregnant. Any clue what my body is asking for, BESIDES sleep itself? Or is this normal for a body learning to use its fat stores - does my body need more sleep than it did before?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 17:59

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
what does my body need?

I'd put my money on salt. This sounds like one of the symptoms of LC flu.

Did I read somewhere that your BP had risen due to the extra salt you are eating? Have you taken it lately? It is very common for BP to drop when eating LC. It might be worth checking again. Also, do you take diuretics?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 20:26

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I agree. It's likely salt and water. I have found my high blood pressure has normalized with this WOE and I no longer worry about being generous with the salt shaker. But if it's an issue for you, definitely check your blood pressure first and consult your doctor.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/youre-fa...hungry-low-carb
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 21:03
Registered Member

BF:

I do not take diuretics and my BP was 112/68 (four weeks after starting Atkins). Would a bouillon cube with lunch do it? Or do I have to salt my food? I'm not worried about salt, it's just that I have never used it because I don't like the taste, so I don't know what a good amount would be.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 21:36

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Bouillon is mainly salt, so that is fine. Start with 1 or 2 cubes of bouillon per day - one will probably improve how you feel, 2 might make you feel even better. Experiment a bit till you feel *right*.

112/68 is excellent, definitely not high - I must have been thinking of someone else.

I never used to salt my food, also did not like the taste , but probably ate enough processed foods that I got all my body needed. I no longer eat any processed foods and find I have to supplement. And, guess what? Salt now tastes delicious!

Last edited by Liz53 : Thu, Oct-27-16 at 22:18.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 08:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Also, a low carb program is a great time to evaluate all your vital minerals. I use sea salt and kelp tablets, plus chelated magnesium.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 08:31

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Does that slump correlate with meal times, or is it completely disconnected from your eating schedule? About 2-3 hours after eating may be when the insulin from the meal drops and you can really hit the fat burning. If your fat energy mechanism is not 100% yet there can be an energy drop.

Are you a lark or an owl? (most alert first thing in the morning is a lark, later in the day for an owl) I'm a lark and my energy slump is around 3 independent of meals.

What is your overnight sleep like? mildly not enough or a lot not enough?

Might you have sleep apnea and not know it? I did.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 18:15
Registered Member

BF:

Seejay,
The slump is 2-3 hours after lunch. I would say I'm definitely a lark; I'm a morning person, work best in the morning. I try to get 9 hours of sleep on the weekend and 7-8 hours during the week. I've been getting 6 hours during the week. But again, that's not really abnormal. A good nap on the weekend will suffice, but I'm coming home and falling into a dead sleep. I have to avoid sitting down if I want to stay awake. If I don't nap, the feeling WILL pass. I am able to re-energize by 5:00. Have no idea if food is reenergizing me or not. I am certainly eating a snack before 5, but I've tried eating at 2 or 3:00 and that doesn't make the slump go away either.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-16, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: www.dietdoctor.com
Stats: 285/243/185 Male 69"
BF:43/37/24
Progress: 42%

Have you done a sleep study? People with sleep apnea experience this as well. I know cuz I am one! Of course my sleep apnea is directly related to my weight and I'm looking forward to ditching the mask soon!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 08:53

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hm, could it be that the 6 hours you're getting is not that restful? You are not that fat for sleep apnea but I hear it's not always about the weight.

Can you look at your electrolytes with something like fitday? you can see how many grams of sodium and potassium you get. If you are not eating processed food, and not using salt because you don't really like the taste, maybe it is electrolytes.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 16:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks everyone! I'm going to look into these suggestions.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 23:56

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Yes, I get this way and also get heart palpitations with it, when I get to feeling this way it's usually my body screaming for salt, electrolytes and water. Once I replenish those things, I feel so much better. I force myself to use more salt and make my own electrolyte drink. That is one challenge I have found on this woe, I have had a hard time just realizing and following through with how much salt and water we really need and how crummy I can feel if I don't get enough of both.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 06:12
Registered Member

BF:

Oh my gosh, mten2015, I've been having heart palpitations too! I didn't make a connection though. May I ask what your electrolyte drink is that you make?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-16, 06:59
Registered Member

Plan: www.dietdoctor.com
Stats: 285/243/185 Male 69"
BF:43/37/24
Progress: 42%

Could be a potassium deficiency as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2vPQYP0dpI
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-16, 00:45

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnM0305
Oh my gosh, mten2015, I've been having heart palpitations too! I didn't make a connection though. May I ask what your electrolyte drink is that you make?

Hi Lynn, I currently use Lyteshow- believe I got it on Amazon. I mix mine with lemon and water. I think since I've been doing this woe, I really underestimate how much salt, electrolytes and potassium I really need because I have dealt with low energy and heart palpitations all the way through. So I started using this electrolyte mix in my lemon water, adding a bit more salt (nusalt) and also having a serving of winter squash which has lots of potassium each day which all seem to helping a lot! Otherwise I was having crazy palpitations every day, all day. Very hard though to find a balance, I just know for me personally if the palpitations start in and I am feeling just blah, it's time to supplement with something. I also do quite a bit of home made bone broth. Hope this helps.