Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 05:34

Plan: basic low carb, no plan
Stats: 278/274/125 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Can i post my daily food?

What I would very much like to do is post what I'm eating each day and have folks let me know if I'm doing right or wrong.

Yesterday I did have one misstep that I know about, but that is not something I'm going to stress over because it was small and something that is rare.

Otherwise here is yesterday. Now one thing I'm going to ask is about my portions cause I think that is what is hurting me.

BREAKFAST
4 steps of bacon
2 fried eggs

LUNCH
about 4 catfish nuggets (this was my misstep. They were breaded).

SUPPER
14 ounce ribeye
Garlic butter to top the steak
About 5 ounces of cauliflower fried in butter.

The plan says eat till full but not stuffed. That's what I did.

Today? Up 2 pounds.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 12:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Absolutely, dunroven.

Most folks post their food intake in their journals, and then they have it all in one place.

The scale lies. It could have been hotter and more humid yesterday where you are. You could be a little constipated. You could have done more physically than you are used to, and the inflammation in your muscles leads to water retention.

The only thing that matters, on a day to day basis, is staying on plan. Do that, and the weight WILL go.

Also, aside from the breaded food, that was a mighty tasty and on plan looking day you had!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 12:32

BF:
Default Thanks

You don't think that's too much steak though? I felt guilty for eating that much figuring it would cause an uptick in the scale and it did for both my husband and I, 2 pounds each, so that kind of bothered both of us. Plus, we were super hungry when we got up this morning. I have heard that if you eat a big meal at night you WILL be hungry in the morning and it seems to be that way for us.

We'll see what happens in the morning. I know most folks do post their menus in their journals, but I want feedback from folks and most folks don't read the journal entries on a daily basis, I'm thinking, so when I want a question answered I thought maybe this was the best place. Is there a better place to ask about these things?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 12:47

If you're hungry, EAT. Stop when you aren't.

If you just say upfront in your journal: I'm not 100% confident in what I'm eating, just yet. Please tell me if what I'm posting is good, OK, or needs help.

Look at your stats for your journal. You'll see the number of views, as well as the number of total posts in there.

A lot of times, people just don't have anything to say, you know?

But if you ask for feedback, specifically, you will get it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 12:55

BF:
Default Okay

MickiSue, you are being wonderful help to me. Thanks for that! Where do I find my journal stats? I have never seen that before?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 13:16

Look at the top of the page.

At the far left is a field called User CP. It stands for User Control Panel.

Click on it, and you see all the threads that you have posted in, that have a new post.

Notice that the two far right columns show total posts, and total views.

For my journal, over a year old, there are a couple thousand posts, and over 14K views. IOW: for every time somebody has posted in my journal, someone has LOOKED at it 7 times.

LOL. We're just not always inspired, you know?

If you have already opened your journal to look, you won't see it in the CP until somebody posts there again.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 17:23

Plan: LC HF MP IF
Stats: 565/386/282.5 Male 73
BF:no/thank/you
Progress: 63%

I used to eat as much protein as I wanted, but I found it caused my weight loss to slow or stall. Excess protein can be turned into glucose in your body and nobody wants that. Now I stick to a maximum of 80 grams per day and rarely eat a piece of meat larger than 6-7 oz. I recommend a food log like MyFitnessPal where you can keep track of your daily consumption of fat, carbs, and protein.

I would also recommend that you try and get in some leafy green veggies every day. Lots of vitamins in those leafy greens!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 06:19

BF:
Default Thanks

I think the protein is an issue. Unfortunately, I don't have time for that My fitness pal thing. That takes forever if something isn't in there that you are eating and I find there are a LOT of things that I'm eating that are not in their list the way I have it, so not working there.

We eat a few leafy greens, which I absolutely hate, and I don't want to try to stuff something down me that I don't like, so I avoid most of that. I have been on diets since the age of 12, and lettuce and tuna are my 2 worst enemies.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 08:17

If you don't want to record what you eat in MFP, don't. I don't. I pay attention to my carbs, and ignore the rest. So long as I stay within my carb limit, I'm good.

Nothing works overnight. If you have been dieting since you were 12, your body doesn't know WHAT you want it to do. Sometimes, when first on LCHF, people lose slowly, because they have so abused their metabolisms by cycling between overeating and under eating. But within a few months, the consistency of good healthy whole foods leads to consistent weight loss.

For me, I only had 39 pounds to lose. And, three years later, I still have close to 6. Because it takes as long as it takes. But being 6 lbs above my goal is way better than being 39 lbs above it.

And I feel better, I look better and I think better.

Maybe, make the time to write down what you want to accomplish by eating LCHF. Give yourself the time to read, even if it's three pages a day, Dr. Atkins' book. Surround yourself with positiveness about this WOE, by reading here for a couple minutes, here and there.

Give yourself time to heal.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 10:50

BF:

Right now I don't even have time to fix husband's lunch. Today I threw some slices of deli ham in a bag and shoved it at him as I went out the door for my second round of chores. Stopping for a drink of water on my way to a third round of chores and then will grab a slice of that deli meat for my lunch before my 4th round of chores and then head into the house to do a load of laundry before I head to my full time job, which I have 14 hours to do to make up from yesterday. Don't have a clue when I could sit down to reread Dr. Atkins book for like the 40th time in the last 10 years and restarting this diet about the same number of times, each time hopeful I will see something besides a slight dip only to rocket up to higher numbers. I need weight loss.

You asked me to write my goals. Here they are:

Lose weight

That's it. I don't have all these other goals that other people talk about. I just want to lose weight.

I thought if I posted what we were eating maybe someone could see where we are going wrong. By all accounts we're not going wrong. So why no weight loss?????

My total loss over just over a week? 2 pounds. NOT goid8enough. My joints won't stand it that much longer.

Sorry, I'm just angry. Get all hopeful and then the same thing all over again
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 16:24

You don't want to feel better? You don't want to have more energy?

Be angry. It's good to get angry. But what are you angry at? You've lost 2 lbs. GOOD JOB!!!

You have, according to yourself, been on and off this WOE for years. What would happen if you stuck to the rules for induction for two full weeks? That means no pork rinds. They're not on induction. Go for the fried cauliflower, all you want.

I realize you don't like greens, so don't eat them. Eat ONLY meat, eggs, butter at mealtime. You have read Dr Atkins, but you haven't followed him, at this point.

I KNOW you are tired, and hurt from all the extra physical labor. Who wouldn't be? But that isn't the fault of your WOE. It's entirely possible that the slow losses are d/t both going on and off and on and off as well as the inflammation from your extra chores.

You know that. Can you work with it? Can you let go your disappointment at not losing as fast as you'd like, and really, really, no cheats, stick to this WOE long enough for it to be effective for you?

This is your life, not anyone else's. But there are people here who do want to see you succeed. Not to quit, in anger and frustration, one more time.

If it takes you 4 years to lose the weight, isn't that better than gaining another 50 in the next 4 years?

One more thing. I know you are overworked right now. But once your husband can take back his chores, do some reading on intermittent fasting. It can help people with stubborn insulin levels, that lead to it being harder to lose fat, to get the insulin levels down enough for LC HF to be effective.

There are threads here about it, or you can just read Dr. Jason Fung's information about it. He has a website.

Be nice to yourself. Anger can cleanse, or it can destroy. Let it cleanse you, and then let it go.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 17:45

BF:
Default Yes

Of course I want those other things, but I want less pain, and that's what the weight loss will bring. So that's why I want to lose weight. The other things are just side benefits that will happen so I'm not "seeking" those things. And really, I could care less how my health and all the rest are, if I am not a thinner, less heavy person. Yes, I'm angry and MickiSue it was because of this forum that I have added pork rinds, not this time, but from before, because everyone said, oh you can have those anytime, up to about 2 ounces a day. So hey, why not, right? They are meat, and they are fried, so why would they NOT be on induction? That's something I agreed with, but heck yes, if that would cause me to lose weight, I'd do that. However, I don't believe it will make one whit's difference.

I'm willing at this point to try anything including not eating for 3 days, which is what I used to do as a teenager to jump start all the diets that everyone had me on and that I also tried myself. I figured I could shrink my stomach by not eating for 3 days. Well, it worked.....to a point. By the time I could eat again, I was so starved I was ravenous and would anything that ran in front of me.

I HAVE stuck to Dr. Atkins diet. I started this WOE the first time about 15 years ago. It didn't work then either. I'll give it one more shot, starting tomorrow. I'll come here and I'll log absolutely everything that goes in my mouth, sans pork rinds. We'll see in 2 weeks, what happens. I would lay odds that I will have lost almost nothing, if anything at all.

I have even just done meat and eggs. Nothing. No weight loss whatsoever, and yet, my thyroid and metabolism, according to the doctors is running normal and straight as a pin. Nothing seems to be keeping me from losing, except it does. I have been on every diet known to mankind and nothing melts the lard from this body.

I am angry, because I keep being told I'm going to lose weight. I keep trying to have hope and I keep being disappointed and I keep getting older and nothing changes. I am off a diet, for the most part, about a month and then its right back on the old, let's restrict what we eat, either because of a diet or lack of money to buy food, so at some point, I believe, I don't know, that's just me, that something should have worked somewhere. My main goal, is one that usually makes people horrified, and I'll share it, not for shock value, but we'll probably get that.

I don't want to be so heavy that the pallbearers can't carry my casket. That's my ultimate goal.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 18:00

IF (Intermittent fasting) isn't about not eating for three days, dunroven.

It's choosing, either on alternate days, or daily, or whatever, to restrict your eating to a certain window of time.

For me, it's 10-11 hours during which I can eat my breakfast and dinner, and nothing outside that.

For some like Jo, it's one meal a day. She eats whatever she wants to, on induction, year round.

Ken does occasionally fast days, where he doesn't eat for a day. Kat, who was struggling to lose until she included IF, is losing slowly, but losing. She was at about your weight, and height, and not able to lose more than a tiny bit on traditional Atkins. Adding the IF worked.

It's NOT about starving yourself. It's about teaching your pancreas to stop pumping out so much insulin, so that your fat cells can actually release the fat.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 19:11

BF:
Default Plan

Okay, starting tomorrow, I'm doing 2 straight weeks on induction. Nothing off of it. If at the end of that 2 weeks, I haven't started (and I do say, started) to lose weight, I'm done with trying. I think though I'm going to be eating less protein. I think that's a major factor. I can't, "eat till satisfied" with protein. My 14 ounce steaks, in this situation? Not enough. I could eat 2 of those without being stuffed. I know because, as piggish as it sounds, I have done it before and not been stuffed at all. Its kind of crazy actually, how much protein I can eat and still would be able to eat more and have my belly rumbling and aching for more food. I will invite everyone to take a look at my menus and we'll see what comments I get about how I'm doing. Night time, when I'm working is the hardest part for me. I need something I can munch while working. Any thoughts for this? Please don't say greens. UGGHHH I'm going to start a new thread for this and call it my personal 2 week challenge.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 19:23

Plan: LC HF MP IF
Stats: 565/386/282.5 Male 73
BF:no/thank/you
Progress: 63%

The best way to satiate yourself is with fat not protein. I start many meals with a glass of water followed by a cucumber salad (cucumbers, heavy cream, and vinegar), Greek salad (cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese, Greek seasoning, and olive oil), brussel sprouts soaking in butter, or some kind of leafy veggies coated in olive oil with some type of low carb salad dressing. My wife also makes an amazing LCHF spinach dip and I will use radishes, cauliflower, or raw broccoli to dip into it. Then after I have some fat and veggies in my belly I start eating whatever protein source I prepared.

Portion control is always my problem so I journal my food before I prepared or eat it. I make just what I am going to eat and no more. Then I don't make mistakes and I don't have to face any regrets. I have been LCHF before several times without journaling my food only to find out later that my program was so wrought with mistakes I essentially had no chance of losing weight consistently. I don't want to yo-yo back up ever again, so this time I am covering every possible angle.

I also do IF and just finished a 72 hour fast. It has been very beneficial.