Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 06:49

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default risks of a wheat free diet

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...60513083127.htm

Quote:
The gluten-free diet in children: Do the risks outweigh the benefits?

The prevalence of celiac disease (CD), an autoimmune disease, is increasing. The only treatment for CD is a gluten-free diet. However, the increasing prevalence of CD does not account for the disproportionate increase in growth of the gluten-free food industry (136% from 2013 to 2015). A Commentary scheduled for publication in The Journal of Pediatrics discusses several of the most common inaccuracies regarding the gluten-free diet.

Little is known about the motives of individuals who adopt a gluten-free lifestyle. In a study conducted in 2015 of 1,500 Americans, "no reason" was the most common explanation for choosing gluten-free foods. According to the author of this Commentary, Dr. Norelle R. Reilly, from New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, "Out of concern for their children's health, parents sometimes place their children on a gluten-free diet in the belief that it relieves symptoms, can prevent CD, or is a healthy alternative without prior testing for CD or consultation with a dietitian." Given the frequent misunderstanding about gluten, available data regarding the gluten-free diet warrant clarification.

One misconception is that the gluten-free diet is a healthy lifestyle choice with no disadvantages. In fact, in individuals without CD or wheat allergy, there are no proven health benefits. It could increase fat and calorie intake, contribute to nutritional deficiencies, and obscure an actual diagnosis of CD. Another misconception is that gluten is toxic; there are no data to support this theory. A gluten-free diet also is not necessary for healthy first-degree relatives of individuals with CD or for healthy infants at risk of developing CD.

For a small subset of patients who are guided by an experienced registered dietitian, a gluten-free diet can lead to better health and an improved quality of life. However, there is no scientific evidence that a gluten-free diet is beneficial for children without a verified diagnosis of CD or wheat allergy. Due to potential nutritional deficiencies and quality of life issues, it could actually pose more risk than benefit. Dr. Reilly notes that "parents should be counseled as to the possible financial, social, and nutritional consequences of unnecessary implementation of a gluten-free diet." Healthcare providers may not be able to stop the move to a gluten-free diet, but they can play a larger role in educating patients and parents.

They sort of buried the punchline, so I highlighted it in red. Think of the millions of people who never had the benefit of being diagnosed celiac because they never tried wheat.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 07:43

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmm - had I not eaten a lot of carbs over the years, I might not have had the "benefit" of being diagnosed as diabetic.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 08:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Part of the "gluten free phenomenon" is the action that food manufacturers have taken to satisfy the demand. Now, when I buy meat, it's advertised as gluten-free. No kidding! With whole sections of supermarkets and "health food" stores dedicated to gluten-free products, there is the siren call to eat this carbage which, in many cases, is as damaging as the foods being replaced.

I'm curious as to whether many of those who select gluten-free products know what gluten is and can identify the source of gluten.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 08:28

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

With processed meats at least, the gluten-free label still means something. I have spent way too much time looking for preformed beef patties with no wheat, so my sister could eat them.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 09:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I've read similar nonsensical articles.

Don't take care of your own health! We can't give you a diagnosis unless you are sick!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 11:48

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Nutritional issues

What nutritional deficiencies are there if you don't eat wheat? I assume those of us not eating processed foods such as wheat, pasta, rice, etc. may also have these issues.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 11:55
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I feel fortunate to have been Dx w/ celiac in the 90s when all the GF junk food was unavailable, gross, and/or very expensive. By the time the suppliers realized there was a market, I was very content with my bread-, pasta-, etc. free life.

As data emerge that folate-fortification of flour may not have been the best idea, pregnant women and kids at a minimum may be better off without wheat!

I think standard dieticians are worried we'll be missing all the vitamins they've added back to the processed and stripped flour products.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 12:40

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
With processed meats at least, the gluten-free label still means something. I have spent way too much time looking for preformed beef patties with no wheat, so my sister could eat them.

Good point, and for the deli meats I buy, I like to see a label before purchasing. Many of the Boar's Head meats at a couple local places are very low carb. Never realized that they added wheat to beef patties. Is nothing sacred????
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 13:15

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
After Safeway Canada discontinued its pure beef burgers, virtually the only wheat-free burgers I could find, I finally broke down and got a Starfrit Hamburger Stacker and pre-form and freeze ground beef when I get it on sale.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwloser
What nutritional deficiencies are there if you don't eat wheat? I assume those of us not eating processed foods such as wheat, pasta, rice, etc. may also have these issues.

None.

Zero.

Zip.

The issues are not issues, unless you are trying to sell wheat products. There is no need for the human body to consume any foods that don't come from animals.

Now, grant you, if you eat only the steak, and none of the organ meat, you may have issues. But we evolved, so far as anyone can see, eating grains only as an outlier, because, without processing them, we can't digest them.

I haven't eaten grains on purpose for close to three years now, and I'm significantly more healthy than the bulk of people my age. There are a lot of people here who have been grain free for much, much longer.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-16-16, 16:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
After Safeway Canada discontinued its pure beef burgers, virtually the only wheat-free burgers I could find, I finally broke down and got a Starfrit Hamburger Stacker and pre-form and freeze ground beef when I get it on sale.

I've got a cheap Norpro burger smasher - I like it. I do 1/4 lb. burgers so if I get an itch to get creative, I can pull out a pound or whatever and thaw it quickly. Every time ground beef is on sale I buy as much as I can afford. Thank God for deep freezers!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 10:42

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I've been mostly grain-free for almost 15 years. The lack of vitamin Wheat hasn't killed me yet.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 10:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I've been mostly grain-free for almost 15 years. The lack of vitamin Wheat hasn't killed me yet.

I have for 13 years and I think I'm still alive and kicking lol!!!

Jo xxx
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 11:38

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

No grains in my diet and still alive after over 10 years. It's a miracle!

Jean
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 15:54

But JEAN! You don't know if you have celiac disorder, because you can't have the antibodies, if you aren't eating it.

You people are ALL doing it the wrong way. We need to follow the rules, People.

1) Be miserable.

2) Go to the clinic, be told that it's probably the flu.

3) Do some reading on your own, go back, ask if you could be sensitive to wheat, be told there's no such thing: it's celiac, or nothing.

4) Repeat for a year of misery.

5) Stop eating grains, feel better.

6) Go back for something unrelated, mention that your symptoms went away when you stopped eating grains.

7) Be scolded for bypassing the medical model.