Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 14:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
When I gave up gluten I went through a 3-4 month healing process I could feel. This kind of glowy/happy feeling through my entire digestive tract.

Once my gut was healed, any of the items listed here would create a bad reaction. I became very fiber sensitive; a normal portion of cooked vegetables, okay, but raw ones except lettuce would be troublesome. One flax cracker, likewise.

And yes, NSAIDS increase permeability all on their own.

As I understand it, once you have healed, you could tolerate foods which give you trouble now, so it's probably a short-term, intense, thing.

Also, I do collagen tea: I like this one because it dissolves so well:

http://www.iherb.com/Great-Lakes-Ge...-oz-454-g/52774

which is a complete protein which is very healing. Add some fat (I like coconut oil) to that tea and you have a healthy small meal which should not disturb your system much.

Warebear ~Thank you so much for posting the link for the Great Lakes Collagen. When I read about it I put in an order right away.
I can't wait to try it.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 14:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
If you were celiac, how would that change things for you?

It probably wouldn't change much of anything. I had been eating out but ordering gluten free things, but I'm wary of that now.

I think my gut healing diet is going to focus on fish, duck and lamb.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 17:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Duck!

There are worse fates

Good luck!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-16, 08:09
Experimenter

BF:

Thanks! I think I've got some steelhead trout in the freezer. Maybe I'll pretend it is salmon and do it like I do salmon nicoise.

I made a batch of cauli-pad thai and put tilapia and shrimp in it. I should probably switch to coconut aminos rather than use GF soy sauce.

I also want to try my hand at fermenting veggies. I got some cool ball jars with air-locks in the caps.

I'm feeling less ouch-y today. Dairy is now totally gone, only had a bit of h&h yesterday.

I've got sardines for breakfast. I'm halfway between yum and yuck on these. Hopefully I will learn to love them.

I'm taking my L-glutamine on an empty stomach. 5-6 grams about 3x daily. Although I'll probably run out before my next batch gets here. I'm also doing the aloe vera, fish oil, krill oil, curcumin... LOL! I am taking a lot of supplements at the moment.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-16, 08:23
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hiya Nancy!

Sorry to hear about your illness, I hope and pray you find relief and good results by changing your foods!

I have a nephew that was born allergic to everything it seems... he could only eat lamb and rice and drink goat's milk... Yeah that wasn't easy for the family! He ate like that for probably the first 10 years of his life.

He's in his mid 30s now and he can tolerate a wider variety of foods but still nothing with wings at all including eggs and no wheat.

He rarely eats out because he doesn't want to have an adverse reaction since the way food is handled and cross-contamination can occur (i.e., deli counters where one orders sliced meats/cheese and they USUALLY don't clean the slicers between orders). He can't eat fish that's been fried in the same oil as chicken...

Sorry probably TMI!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-16, 10:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I should probably switch to coconut aminos rather than use GF soy sauce.

You might want to check out Bragg's aminos for a GF soy sauce experience. I tried it on some sushi a few weeks ago and was favorably impressed.

Quote:
I've got sardines for breakfast. I'm halfway between yum and yuck on these. Hopefully I will learn to love them.

I have! For breakfast!

But I agree... they are not for the faint of heart. But my cat Tristan loves them for breakfast. So tastes do differ
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-16, 13:53

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Nancy,

My approach is to be scrupulous in avoiding the foods that I believe are causing my problems. Cross contamination can be a big problem which is one of the reasons I avoid eating in restaurants. For me it's just not worth the risk. Supplements may help but the foundation needs to be dietary. Bone broth is touted as a healing food. I have a cup almost every day. I also ferment veggies and eat some of them every day.

You seem to be on the right path. From both my own experience and things I have read gluten sensitivity is as real as celiac disease and the rememdy for both is the same, scrupulous avoidance of all gluten.

We tend to make a big deal out of differential diagnoses but I agree with Terry Wahls who says that the basis of so many seemingly disparate diseases is in cell health and the basis of cell health is proper nutrition, avoiding what makes us sick and eating what promotes health. That's also the reasoning behind books like Sarah Ballantyne"s book about the autoimmune protocol.

I'm probably repeating myself here but cleaning up my diet in what may seem to others an extreme way has made so much difference in my life that I can't imagine going back to eating any other way. I hope for the same results for you.

Jean
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-16, 13:54
Experimenter

BF:

I think the Braggs aminos has soy in it.

I really did better with the sardines this morning! Waiting until I was REAL hungry did the trick. :-) The other awesome thing about them is that they travel well! I can take them on trips, take them to work, whatever!

I'm planning a trip to Charlotte, NC next month and I plan to bring lots. Maybe some jerky and pemmican too so I can survive being with relatives who are probably fairly clueless.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-16, 15:03

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Thanks! snip

snip.

I used to hate them, the very thought of them. BUT with each try, it came easier and now I absolutely love them -- this was way long before LC.

Think of them as elegant, beautiful to look at. Open the can, and look how they shine, use your best fork to serve them a few at a time. It's almost art, they way they line up in the can. If you rummage around thru old cook books from the 1920s-on, they are always making party canapes with them. Google, "vintage, canape, sardine," and look at the pictures and study recipes, notice how they often mash them with other ingredients, cream cheese, etc. And finally, fast for 3days, then try them again.

Next up, canned mackerel!
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-16, 15:20
Experimenter

BF:

LOL! That's hilarious. Canned mackerel! OMG! Do you eat that? I used to give it to the cats sometimes.

I know I can grow to love them! What an easy and incredibly nutritious meal! Maybe a mustard or lemon sauce...
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-16, 11:18

BF:

Quote:
LOL! That's hilarious. Canned mackerel! OMG! Do you eat that? I used to give it to the cats sometimes.

I know I can grow to love them! What an easy and incredibly nutritious meal! Maybe a mustard or lemon sauce...

Yes, canned mackerel There was a period in the 1970s when tuna skyrocketed or something. Anyway, my mum would make "tuna" salad sandwiches from canned mackerel and nobody really noticed. She often mixed cottage cheese with tuna (some world war 11 thing). It's picking thru the bones, and removing the skin which is a real turn off. I didn't eat sardines then.

Sorry 'bout all you are going through. I hope it gets better for you, and I hope you can learn to give IF and broths longer try. I've been at it over a year now and barely notice which I'm fasting, there's also less explosive re-eating when time goes by. Last night I went out and had a few drinks and some almonds before eating kinda late, 9pm or so. I hadn't eaten since Sunday but didn't vacuum the plate empty they way I would before.

Yes, sardines with lemon are good, and so are the smoked ones. However, this site, or perhaps elsewhere, pointed out the that, tuna at least, packed in water has more omega 3 oils than packed in oil!!!.. i still buy the oil though.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-16, 11:43

BF:

http://tinyurl.com/jbpkcoe

I just googled "canned mackerel recipes" and came up with this charmer. It's worth a quick look see.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-16, 12:26

BF:

Quote:
I think the Braggs aminos has soy in it.

You are correct. Dang.

I love canned mackerel. Some paleo mayo, dill, & shallots and it's delightful on lettuce.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-16, 12:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I got lost somewhere back in the Sardines posts, but remind me of why smoked canned fish is good for the GI?
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-16, 12:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I got lost somewhere back in the Sardines posts, but remind me of why smoked canned fish is good for the GI?

It was meant as a general suggestion as a way to get to like sardines, I don't claim any special health benefits for the GI. Sorry