Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Your favorite cardio video series!
The Firm 88 20.90%
Kathy Smith 26 6.18%
Richard Simmons 39 9.26%
Denise Austin 24 5.70%
Tamilee Webb 8 1.90%
Buns of Steel Series 6 1.43%
Gilad 10 2.38%
Taebo 90 21.38%
Kathy Ireland 0 0%
Cindy Crawford 6 1.43%
Jane Fonda 8 1.90%
Other 155 36.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 421. You may not vote on this poll

#61   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 10:13

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Real fun with WAP

If you are beginner in cardio, so you have problem with following complicated steps, if you have sensitive legs/back, so you cannot jump, if you have small place at home to exercise, AND if you have good sense of humour - I would recommend the Walk Away the Pounds tapes.
I do not know any other tape with real ( I mean everyday and not pro) people. I know many people feel motivated by watching wonderful people with perfect bodies exercising in wonderful mansions, or before wonderful landscapes. When I watch the otherwise nice Gilad tapes for example , I always wondering why the hell would anybody exercise in 120F, 10+UV in bikini in full make-up on the beach?
Leslie Sansone can be annoying, but if you have good sense of humour, you can have fun:-)
The other thing: this tape is not intimidating, exactly because of the mistakes. You feel so proud to be better even than Leslie:-)
For me the most important thing: this is the first tape my husband ever done. He is a very proud computer nerd, to lure he to do any exercise video is very hard. On the other hand during our last cruise trip he enjoyed a real life group cardio - full of amateurs. That is why I decided to buy the WAP videos: to have a fun exercise with my husband. (We run together, but that is so serious.)
About the impact of it. If you do it with full energy, it is as effective as an easy jog - without the pounding effect on your knees/back.
As I mentioned different people have different expectations, so I know this is not for everybody....

Last edited by Galadriell : Fri, Apr-25-03 at 08:49.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268.5/262/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

That's so cool that you got your husband to do the WATP with you. I've been trying to convince mine to join me as well. My husband is a thin, but very inactive man. He's 5'10" and 160lbs....I'm also hoping some of my LCing will rub off on him, but so far not much luck. He's extrememly supportive of my exercise and LC, but he seems to think he doesn't need to do it too since he's never been overweight. So silly....so that's my long term goal, to get him to do a workout with me! LOL I better not hold my breath.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 01:12

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

About the bellydancing tapes by Dolphina. I have to highly recommend the first tape - "The Goddess Workout". I have the other ones, but by far, the first by far my favorite. It takes you about 3 times watching it before you can begin to really understand the moves, but it is fun all the way through, and she wears FANTASTIC costumes. I have done this tape for well over a year, and still never get sick of it. The finger cymbals and veil ones are good too, but quite short (25 mins). For your money, the first one is almost 1 hour long, which should keep you busy for a long time I would love to hear if anyone has had success with other bellydancing series (i.e. Neena and Veena?). Thanks!
  #64   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 15:42

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 225/181/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I went to Virgin Megastore today looking for something new to add to my tape routine, now that I'm settling into the Cardio Dance and Precision Pilates routines. After much deliberation, I ended up leaving with The Goddess Workout's Introduction to Bellydance. I've really started enjoying the Paula Abdul Cardio Dance, so I was looking for something along those lines and it seems like everything else on the market right now is Pilates! The Bellydance tape looks a little different, maybe a little sexier, and hopefully fun. The reviews on this thread helped me decide.

I'll make sure to give it a few viewings before I make up my mind. I had to do Paula Abdul about 5 or 6 times before I really got the hang of it; now I do the steps while I'm waiting for my cooking to finish!

I'm very down with the "don't get bored" philosophy. I think that's why workout routines have always failed for me in the past. I've got to have fun or I'm not going to stick with it. And so far, so good! 5 weeks and counting!

I get embarrassed to have anyone "know" I'm working out, though - I hate to do it in the living room when my roommate's around, so I've started working out in my room. And I turn down the volume when she comes home (we're in Manhattan, so my "room" is a nice-sized space walled off by some bookshelves and the sound spills into the living room). I don't know why I should feel guilty, it's healthy!
  #65   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 09:29

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I have been using Richard Simmons' tapes for my a.m. cardio workout for some time; it's a good low impact workout.

Last week I started using the Winsor Pilates tapes and they are as effective as the infomercials claim! After doing the workout four times, my stomach is noticeably flatter and feels tighter, which I find impressive. I'm going to keep doing the 20 minute workout three times a week, as recommended, and see what happens.

Karla
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 17:34

Plan: SF, grain free, vegan
Stats: 230/208.2/199 Female 5'2"
BF:More than enough
Progress: 70%
Cool Please Help...

I must have called at least eight video places and no one has Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away The Pounds" ...what is that? I know quite a few are using this video and getting results and are happy with it.

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE ...where can I get this video? Can I order it online? Where? I am trying to workout and I am at a brick wall.

I need ...

Love & Light,
Pink
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 21:48

Stats: 207/184/145
BF:
Default Leslie Sansone

I know you can order Leslie Sansone's Walk away the pounds online. Its like $40.00 at www.walkawaythepounds.com
I havent tried these tapes yet so let me know if they are any good.
I have been going to the gym lately and havent been using my Richard Simmons tapes but I do hope to get back to them soon. I miss all the dancing and the tunes.
Good luck with your tape hunt!

Take care Jerrie
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 22:02

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

i got my WAP tapes at walmart for around $25, maybe you could check there, also i know they have them on amazon.com for around the same price.

hth
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 22:12

Stats: 207/184/145
BF:

Thanx
I have to go to Wal-mart tomorrow so I will check to see if they have any. The work out tapes seem to go fast here. Maybe because we are one of the highest rated cities of over weight people. It must be all this good Mexican food.

Take care and good luck.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 02:26

Cool Hey, Jerrie & Jesdorka...

Thanks a million for your input...for the site and the Wal-mart info. My friend in Vegas told me you can purchase them at Ross Dress for Less also. I will get on the phone tomorrow and find it. Now, it's become this goal I need to achieve...this problem to resolve.

Thanks again...it's wonderful to have a problem and come here and get all the answers...I love this place!

Love & Light,
Pink
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 10:49
Registered Member

Stats: 188/155/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 69%

I buy my DVD's on-line. I checked the collagevideo.com site, and they have Leslie Sansone's Walk away the Pounds Plus (60 minutes) for $29.95. I think the original DVD is the same price, but the video is more! Diana
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 17:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/184/165 Female 5' 6"
BF:no clue
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

Another Walk Away the Pounds follower here! I got all three tapes plus weight balls off Ebay for about $25. Can't recommend them enough.
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 10:45

Cool Hi, All...

Called the Ross near me...they don't have the tape...no Walmart near...I'm ordering it from amazon.com...wasted enough time in the search...still without exercise...I need to move this body to get better results...I know this is the key for me. After all my years as a dancer, I know the only way is through movement.
Thanks to everyone for your input...I can't wait to begin.

Love & Light,
Pink
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 00:56

Plan: not sure
Stats: 140/135/125
BF:
Progress: 33%

I am new member here, but not new to video exercising
I am so glad I stumbled across this thread, as well as many others on this site that I am finding so useful!
I have been an avid home video exerciser for about 14 years.
I started with the Firm , and then branched out into so many others after joining www.videofitness.com.
I consider myself an advanced exerciser, and I have belonged to gyms as well, but there are some GREAT workout vids out on the market now and I consider them to be highly challenging, and wonderfully produced.
Cathe Friedrich (for those who are serious!)- weight training, step etc.
Powerstrike- for those of you that like Tae Bo, this inmho blows tae bo away. alot of cardio minutes, intense, and alot less impact on the joints!
If you like dancy videos, Christy Taylor.

alot of these are available on DVD now, so the opportunity to mix and match my workouts makes them fun, and interesting. Gotta get creative when it comes to burning those calories, sometimes.

But if you are looking for a challenge, and variety, investing in some advanced vids is a great option, because unlike a gym membership, they never expire, they are always there for the doing (no reason to NOT workout.. its in your house for Petes sake!)

I have joined gyms, and fallen off the bandwagon a zillion times in getting there, but I always made up for it by popping in an exercise vid.
The following sites might be helpful:
www.videofitness.com
www.cathe.com
www.beach body.com (my current fav workouts)
I notice there are a dozen Pilates and Yoga vids in Target, and best buy,etc but for intense cardio and weight training, exercise vids arent out there, being mass marketed. I get alot of mine from Collage video, or other online resources.

I also joined a check in at one of the online video fitness forums, and for me , it's cool, because it makes me accountable for my exercise habit (or sometimes, lack thereof).
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 08:36

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Thumbs up

<font color="Blue"><B>Being of a more "Mature" age, I can't take a lot of stress on my joints so I chose to do Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away The Pounds." Don't let the title fool you; you definitely work up a sweat and it really works!

She has a 1 mile tape, a 2 mile tape, a 3 mile tape and an Abs tape. If I have a busy day, I pick the 1 mile tape; if I'm semi-busy, I do the 2 mile; if it's a slow day, I do the 3 mile tape. You can fit them into your schedule. I find, for me at least, that consistancy is what works; not killing myself.

I do "Walk Away The Pounds" Monday through Friday and I lift light weights on Tuesday and Thursday. I get weekends to rest my weary bones. I feel great! Oh....I also do crunches and leg lifts 5 days a week!

Morgan