Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 18:04

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Lo-carb Crepes

I looked at a couple of crepe recipes, made some adjustments and came up with a really nice crepe.

You should know that I have brand-new nonstick pans. That meant that I used hardly any butter in the pan (just some in the recipe), but if your nonstick is older and not so 'nonsticky', you might need some butter there. . .

You have to mix this in the blender to get the gluten worked in.

In the blender:
2 eggs (mine are large to jumbo - I have my own hens)
1/4 cup water
2T. heavy cream
2T. melted butter
2T. vital wheat gluten
dash salt or potassium salt substitute

Whirl in blender, add water if it seems too thick.

Preheat pan; oil if necessary. I used an omelet pan (smallish skillet) for these. Remove pan from heat and add a scant 1/4 cup of batter to pan. Swirl to coat bottom of pan, return to heat. When the top looks a little dry, gently slip spatula under edge of crepe, flip to brown second side. Remove to a plate. Oil pan between crepes as needed.

When I did this, I got 6 crepes total. The total carbs for the recipe (minus fiber) is 4 carbs.

If you wanted savory, you could add garlic, chives, parmesan, etc. or for sweet some splenda and cinnamon. I'm making more tonight, just plain. Some will be filled with melon chunks at breakfast, some with an asian-style meat filling I 'invented' earlier today.

I hope you like them!!

-Catinhat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 21:45

BF:

Make sure you let this batter 'sit' for a while, so the gluten can do a better job of binding everything together. I made a second batch more quickly than I'd made the first, and they were not nearly as successful - easily torn!

-Catinhat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 08:46

BF:

I am re-posting the recipe for these crepes, with more specific instructions. Now that I have made them 3 times, I'm starting to get the hang of crepe making. Perhaps anyone who wants to make them can learn from my 'mistakes'. . .

Lowcarb Crepes:

Put these items in your blender, in this order:
2 eggs
1/4 c. water
2Tb. Vital Wheat Gluten
2Tb. Heavy Cream
2Tb. Melted Butter
Pinch Salt/Salt Substitute (I use the Sub. to increase my potassium)

Whirl in blender, scrape down the gluten lumps. Repeat until the batter is completely combined, with no more lumps of gluten. The batter will be very thin. Pour it into a smaller container (I use a 2c. measuring cup with a pouring spout). Let the batter sit for 15-20 minutes, maybe even longer. It is crucial that you let the batter sit, so the gluten has time to become more elastic. (I use this time to do dishes, clean the blender, sweep and mop the kitchen - hee hee)

Warm a smallish, but very good non-stick pan (I just got new nonstick pans, so mine are still very good). Lightly spray with nonstick spray. Take the pan off the heat and pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Tilt the pan to coat the entire bottom, and return pan to heat. When the edges are beginning to brown and the top of the crepe looks dry, you should be able to slip a spatula underneath the crepe and turn it over to brown the top. When both sides are brown, remove the crepe to a plate. Remove the pan from the heat, allow it to cool quite a bit, then re-spray with 'pam' if necessary. This amount of batter makes 6-7 crepes. The whole batch has 4 carbs.

(Note: If you ever made pancakes, it feels awkward to make these. I kept wanting to get the pan too hot, so that it would sizzle the way it does for pancakes. If you're making these right, they are fairly smooth, and not full of little holes (many of mine have the little holes because the pan was too hot) They are good filled with fruit, meat, or a bit of cinnamon and splenda for a snack. I hope you like them!!

This morning, I'm having 2 of these filled with a bit of cream cheese and strawberries, seasoned with a touch of orange extract. I'll top them with whipped cream and have some grilled ham alongside. Look out, IHOP!!

-Catinhat
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 16:19

Plan: atkins low carb
Stats: 162/138/130
BF:25.24,15
Progress: 75%

Question, i don't have the wheat gluten stuff, can i use my atkins baking mix instead? tina
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 08:18

BF:

Hmm. . .the answer is . . . I don't know. Vital wheat gluten is the 'sticky part' of flour - the part that makes dough elastic. So, using it exclusively as the 'flour' in the crepes is what makes them kind of bind together, and have some stretch, like a tortilla. Since I've never used the baking mix, I am not sure how it would work in this recipe. You can always try it, what the heck! However, I'm thinking you might get something more like pancakes, since 'baking mix' makes me think it has leavening, and so they will rise.

Who knows, it might be much better than the original! Good luck whatever you decide to do . . .

Catinhat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 13:07

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Are these any good? I'd like to try them, but I don't want to buy the wheat gluten if the crepes aren't worth making.
Thanks!
Tori
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 14:49

BF:

I think that would be a matter of taste - a sort of coke vs. pepsi thing. I love coke, hate pepsi, but obviously, others disagree.

I can tell you what mine are like, when I make them. They are buttery, a little eggy, elastic and breadlike. I like them. They are good filled with stuff, they are also good with sugarfree syrup on them. There are others here that make them more than I do, and I invented (well, sorta) the recipe, so it's not just me that uses it.

I doubt this is helpful, but you have to realize that there are a bunch of people who LOVE mockdanish, and a few of us who find them somewhat yucky. It's all a matter of personal preference. . .

-Catinhat
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 04:27

Ok, I had to make a trip to the Dr yesterday and since i was already in tupelo where all the health food stores are i stopped in and got some of that wheat glutten stuff. I love regular crepes so this weekend i am going to try this. I have kinda stalled in losing so i am going to change my eating to most of my carbs for b'fast and little to none at supper. I'll let you know how these turn out. Thanks again for the recipe and responding. tina
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 07:20

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks Catinhat for replying! I know what you mean about having different tastes... I can't stand those mock danishes. I was so excited to try one, because everyone was raving about it! Needless to say, I was very dissapointed I think I'm going to give them a try! I let you know how they are. And Tina, if you make them, let us know!
Thanks!
Tori
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 18:24

Default Tori and mock danish

Tori, how do you make your danish?

Try this?
whatever bowl you are going to use to micro in smear lightly with butter then sprinkle a little splenda around bowl. Get your egg and cream cheese mixed up. Instead of adding lemon, i add a little dab of Strawberry extract. No vanilla. After nuking for 2 minutes take the rest of the splenda packet and sprinkle on the top. The egg doesn't get as crispy hard on the edges. And you have a sweet bottom and top. My daughters even love this. And if you use Philly No fat cream cheese, it says less than a gram per tbsp. I use 3 tbsp and it gives it more cream cheese. Also i don't mix my egg and cream cheese together real good. I like the chunks of cream cheese. And since i used the last of the cream cheese this morning. i think i am getting ready to just try the crepe and sprinkle with splenda/cinnamon mix to see how it works. i'll let you know how it turns out. The girls are asleep so i might actually get to enjoy it without them wanting to eat it all up. bye for now. tina
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 15:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 125/108/102 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default yummy!

i finally got around to making this recipe and YUM! they are a bit tricky to make but once i got the hang of it it was worth the effort.
these end up very similiar to regular crepes in taste and texture. the trick is definitely letting the batter sit and low heat. at medium heat my crepe was full of big holes.
i filled mine with ricotta and berries today but i think ill try and make savory crepes as well. thanks for the excellent recipe!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 20:13

Plan: low carb
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I make low-carb "crepes" too, but use a much more basic, and probably much less authentic, recipe. Regardless, these are still delicious and really easy to make!

Crepe:
1/3 cup egg beaters
1 TB cream cheese (microwaved until really soft)

Filling:
2 TB ricotta cheese
1 pkt splenda
dash cinnamon

Just mix the cream cheese and egg beaters until you get a smooth batter, pour on a non-stick pan so it spreads out, wait until the mixture has cooked and transfer to a plate. Then mix the remaining ingrediants, spoon into the middle of the crepe and roll up. Sometimes I add blueberries to the ricotta too, which is esspecially yummy.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-04, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/250/150 Female 60"
BF:
Progress:

Your crepes sound good! They are probably "heartier" than mine. I have been making some that are easy, and my whole family likes them. They are especially good in manicotti or rolled and sliced and used instead of noodles. I imagine if you left out the salt, they'd be good with a sweet filling, too, but I haven't tried that yet. I got this recipe from a card that came in a "trial" pack of low-carb recipe cards -- don't remember the company.

olive oil or butter
8 eggs
2T heavy cream (DON'T substitute anything else)
salt and pepper

Beat the eggs, cream and s&p VERY well -- it should be very smooth and almost runny. Heat a non-stick or very well seasoned 6-8" skillet (I use my stainless steel Calphalon pan) over medium heat. When hot, barely coat the bottom of the pan with the olive oil or butter (olive oil is best for savory dishes -- I think butter would be good for sweet fillings). Ladle in JUST enough of the egg to cover the bottom of the pan, swirl it all around so that you have a very thin, even layer in the pan. Let it cook for about 2 minutes -- it should be "done", but not browned on the bottom -- they get tough if you let them get brown. It takes some experimentation to get the heat right, and every range is different -- the first one is usually given to our dogs! When it's done, slip it off onto a paper-towel covered plate and repeat. I put a paper towel between each crepe so they don't get soggy.

My favorite recipe is to fill them with ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan mixed with more eggs and Italian seasoning. Layer low-carb spaghetti sauce in a baking dish, lay these on top, and top with more sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella or parmesan, and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. YUM!

Sue
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 00:41
Rather Be Ballooning

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%

I have a crepe recipe I've used for several years that is very easy:

1 egg
1/8 c whipping cream

Blend well. Pour to cover bottom of hot crepe pan (rotating pan if necessary to spread batter and keep crepe from becoming too thick). Cook over med heat for a minute or so. Flip and cook for another 15-30 seconds.

For a sweeter crepe I add a bit of Splenda to the mix.

Makes approx 2-3 crepes
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 20:03

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

Where can I get the wheat gluten? If it's only available at healthfood stores I'm gonna have to travel a pretty good distance! Oh well, I love crepes I think it would be worth it. ;p