Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 10:53
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I had been using a lot of coconut oil.

I was using coconut oil daily. I've TRIED to cut back on it -- but it is hard. I do love my coffee with CO & HWC as my first food of the day. I tried to do without it completely, but that didn't happen. I don't fry with CO as much as before and I skip the CO in my 1st cup of joe only about 1/2 the time. That is why I said I only cut back on the saturated fat 'a bit'. It is the satisfying stuff that makes this WOE work.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 11:06

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I haven't had my cholesterol checked for over a decade. I tell my doctor that I have no intention of changing my diet and I will not take a statin so what's the point. I view the attempt of the medical profession to continue to hold onto some version of the cholesterol hypothesis to be akin to drowning people hanging on to a sinking ship. For me the positive value of eating a low carb diet is so apparent that no number derived from a test whose value is at least questionable can trump the way I eat or change my decision to stay off prescription meds unless absolutely necessary. Having taken lipitor once many years ago and experiencing disabling joint pain, nothing could convince me to take it ever again.

Jean
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 11:21

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Where do you live? In most US states it's legal to order your own blood tests without needing a doctor's permission. Costs can be very reasonable if you go through someone like HealthCheckUSA or DirectLabs. You can get your own thyroid tests run.

Do you recall exactly what your TSH was apart from merely "normal"? Yes it's not the best measurement but it's an indicator, and what some lab values consider "normal" is still very indicative of thyroid issues. See stopthethyroidmadness.com for more details about tests.

If you get the tests then you can come back to the thyroid forums here for help interpreting data. Finding someone to treat a possible thyroid issue might be more difficult. But when I finally found someone willing to prescribe armour thyroid for me instead of synthroid my TC went from 296 to 191, and my LDL from 218 t0 110 in just 6 weeks, with no dietary changes.

I understand the reasons why people don't even bother with cholesterol tests, but for me it's another good indicator of thyroid health.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 12:24

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Luckily my doctor is not pushing statins any more. In the past I have taken three different statins with bad side effects so we are not going there. Plus, since being on this board and seeing what everyone here says I would refuse to take them any way. They are toxic and no way will they ever enter my body again.

My doc said he's going to call me after checking around on what to do with me though. I suggested coming back in 3 to 6 months to re-test after cutting back on fat.

I guess I am one of the those odd people whose LDL is affected negatively by eating too much fat on LC. Slightly high wouldn't bother me at all, but going up over 100 is a concern.

I have the book Cholesterol Clarity and am re-reading it.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 12:26

BF:

How do you get blood drawn to send them in for labs on your own?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 13:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I posted my numbers on THIS PAGE of my journal (post 760). My LDL and TC went through the roof eating a very low carb diet and my doctor was pretty alarmed about it. Even though many have said that I have nothing to worry about eating this way, I am still concerned about it. My uncle died of a heart attack at age 61 - so I do have a history of CVD in my family. I'm trying to figure out how I can still eat the way I need to eat (LCHF) and yet still get those cholesterol numbers down -- if for no other reason than to get my doctor to stop thinking statins. I won't do statins, either.

I did a lot of searching on this subject and I did find one source of information where someone with the same issue managed to do something about it. She did an initial blog about it HERE and then a follow-up blog regarding her progress several months later at THIS link. These articles are a good read. Her arguments for taking action made sense to me and as I said, she did manage to make her cholesterol numbers change for the better (if there is such a thing) with a few diet tweaks.

I applied a few of those tweaks to my diet a few months ago. I have cut back on the saturated fat just a bit, I eat more fatty fish, I use more olive oil, and I eat more fiber (flax, cocoa & chia seeds). But I am still eating a very low carb/ketogenic diet. I will be going in for my next cholesterol test tomorrow. I'll be interested to see if my dietary changes have made any difference. I'll post the results to my journal when I have them.

Your numbers are much better than mine are:

HDL 54
Trigs 122
LDL 349 .....up from 216 last year & they thought that was high!
total 427
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 13:37

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
How do you get blood drawn to send them in for labs on your own?
You don't. You go to the lab to have the blood drawn as usual, with the paperwork from the testing site you are using.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 13:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
You don't. You go to the lab to have the blood drawn as usual, with the paperwork from the testing site you are using.

Ok, I would have to find a lab to go to. Does the lab do the testing or send the blood to the testing site I have the paperwork from?

I can't actually use the lab I go to cause its on a military base and they don't allow outside paperwork. It's also why I can't just switch doctors. It's also why they won't do tests I ask for.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 15:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Debbie's advice only applies in the US. I take it you're not in the US?

Go to one of the websites Debbie listed and order the blood test from them. They send you the paperwork and help you find a lab where you can have the blood drawn. Or, they probably do it all via email nowadays.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 16:05

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
HDL is 54
Trigs are 122

I expected trigs to be lower and HDL to be higher. Really bummed out about my numbers.

DelaneyLC,
How many hours were you on Full Fast before your blood was drawn?
(Triglycerides will be very high in the hours after you eat any fat.)
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 16:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Ok, I would have to find a lab to go to. Does the lab do the testing or send the blood to the testing site I have the paperwork from?

I can't actually use the lab I go to cause its on a military base and they don't allow outside paperwork. It's also why I can't just switch doctors. It's also why they won't do tests I ask for.

Each of the Direct-to-Consumer labs has a contract with one lab to do both the blood draw and analysis. Some use Quest Labs, I use Direct Labs, whose contract is with LabCorp. Everything but driving yourself to the nearest lab for a blood draw (you can even make an appointment there on-line) is completed on-line. Often the doctor's order arrives within an hour, the test results in one day. The test results are executed by the exact same lab techs who analyze the blood drawn at my doctor's office by the nurse, or even the exact same free-standing LabCorp blood draw facility for the doctor's who do not have their own.
Check DirectLabs nearest lab location, if none near you, then check Save-On-Labs, HealthCheckUSA or others who may have a different lab for the draw closer to you.

Probably different for you in the military, but the cost of Direct Labs is cheaper for me than my co-pay using a regular doctor, the same lab, and with BC/BS insurance.

Quote:
How many hours were you on Full Fast before your blood was drawn?
Same question..I have nothing but water for at minimum 12 hours before a blood draw, but usually try to not eat more like 18 hours before it.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 17:03

BF:

I fasted about 16 hours. They told me I didn't need to fast, which was weird so I fasted anyway.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 17:08

BF:

That's really good info to know about the labs and I may end up doing that.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-15, 08:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Each of the Direct-to-Consumer labs has a contract with one lab to do both the blood draw and analysis. Some use Quest Labs, I use Direct Labs, whose contract is with LabCorp. Everything but driving yourself to the nearest lab for a blood draw (you can even make an appointment there on-line) is completed on-line. Often the doctor's order arrives within an hour, the test results in one day. The test results are executed by the exact same lab techs who analyze the blood drawn at my doctor's office by the nurse, or even the exact same free-standing LabCorp blood draw facility for the doctor's who do not have their own.
Check DirectLabs nearest lab location, if none near you, then check Save-On-Labs, HealthCheckUSA or others who may have a different lab for the draw closer to you.

Probably different for you in the military, but the cost of Direct Labs is cheaper for me than my co-pay using a regular doctor, the same lab, and with BC/BS insurance.

Same question..I have nothing but water for at minimum 12 hours before a blood draw, but usually try to not eat more like 18 hours before it.

I looked it up and they use a Labcorp 2 miles from my house. Thanks for that info! I think my next blood test I will be going there. It's worth the cost since my doc won't order the labs I want done.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-15, 08:49
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

FYI: I had my cholesterol labs done yesterday and the nurse just called me with my results. She passed on comments from my doctor - and it appears she was very pleased with what she saw. The tweaks I made to my diet appear to have made a difference this time around. My LDL dropped significantly (188 - down from 248 last March and 233 last June). My HDL keeps creeping ever higher and my HDL to Triglyceride ratio is 1 to 1.08 - my best ever! Does this reduce my CVD risk in any way over what I was doing before? I have no way to know for sure. I am just treating a number -- I'm just trying to do it with food and not drugs. What ever the case, at least I've made my doctor happy and I am less apprehensive about my numbers than I was before. That is certainly of some benefit.

I'll post all of the numbers in my journal later tonight.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Sep-17-15 at 11:33.