Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 05:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default To shed weight, go vegan

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...50630121807.htm

Quote:
To shed weight, go vegan
A review of vegetarian diet studies highlights benefit of vegan-eating plans

Huang's review includes twelve randomized controlled trials, involving 1,151 dieters who followed a specific eating regime for between nine and 74 weeks. It is the first study to combine the findings from various independent projects that weighed up the results of vegetarian diets against other eating plans. These include the Atkins diet, and ones recommended by the American Diabetes Association or the US National Cholesterol Education Program.

Overall, individuals assigned to the vegetarian diet groups lost significantly more weight (around 2.02 kilograms) than dieters who ate meat and other animal products. Vegetarians who followed a vegan diet lost even more weight. Comparatively, they lost around 2.52 kilograms more than non-vegetarian dieters. Vegetarians who do consume dairy products and eggs lost around 1.48 kilograms more than those on a non-vegetarian diet. People following vegetarian diets that prescribe a lower than normal intake of calories (so-called energy restriction) also shed more kilograms than those without any such limitations being placed on their eating habits.

According to Huang, the abundant intake of whole grains, fruits and vegetables might play a role in the favorable results seen in vegetarian diets. Whole-grain products and vegetables generally have low glycemic index values and don't cause blood sugar levels to spike. Fruits are rich in fiber, antioxidants, minerals and protective chemicals that naturally occur in plants. Whole-grain products contain soluble fiber. Such so-called good fiber helps to delay the speed by which food leaves the stomach and ensures good digestion. It also allows enough nutrients to be absorbed while food moves through the intestines. Several studies have reported that fiber consumption helps with weight loss.

"Vegetarian diets are more effective than non-vegetarian diets for weight loss," says Huang, who added that longer term intervention trials are needed to investigate the effect of vegetarian diets on weight control and cardio-metabolic risk.

My friends have three sons in their twenties. The oldest was until recently mostly vegan, with occasional fish. The slimmest of the three. But all of them are fairly lean. Also the least muscle mass of the three. I want to know how best to lose fat, not weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 06:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I want to know how best to lose fat, not weight.

Word.

Scale weight is not the be-all/end-all of health. (Repeat this until you believe it!!) Every vegan I've ever met has been either overweight or skinny-fat. The male vegans had b!tcht!ts gynecomastia. How are all the other health markers of those vegans long term? 74 weeks ain't long enough. I'm sure I could survive a year-and-a-half of any diet. I survived 25 years of crap without getting fat until I took hormonal birth control, but I was a mess after age 12. But hey, I was slim, therefore healthy?

I wish this vegan-is-healthy-and-will-make-you-skinny myth would just die already. I respect the spiritual beliefs of vegans. If you think it's wrong to consume another animal, I respect that. Just stop trying to prove that it's superior in terms of health. There's no shovel in the world big enough for that.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 08:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

It's a never-ending argument fueled by the attempt to attain ethical superiority, none of which has anything to do with health. I, too, respect their beliefs, but this food "movement" has received convenient camouflage from the SAD and its many associated health issues, making other WsOE look better in relative comparison. Agree that I'd like to see the day when rigorous trials can be conducted comparing LCHF, vegetarian, vegan, and the latest incarnation of SAD for a longer period focusing on overall health rather than the traditional focus on effectiveness at simply dropping weight. Not sure this is possible considering costs and duration required. Some of us have our own answers, but we're not even close to a consensus among those who have the authority to make "official" dietary recommendations.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 08:29

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

For comparison: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=456041

I want to see Huang's list.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 08:34

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Word.
I wish this vegan-is-healthy-and-will-make-you-skinny myth would just die already. I respect the spiritual beliefs of vegans. If you think it's wrong to consume another animal, I respect that. Just stop trying to prove that it's superior in terms of health. There's no shovel in the world big enough for that.

Interesting thread. My next-door neighbor is vegan. I began watching very closely as this woman and her children have gained weight consistently for the past few years and I found that interesting because I had the misconception that all vegan/vegetarians were thin, frail-looking creatures. As I spent more time around her, it became very clear the problem. There are bags of candy and chips all over her house. This woman and her chubby children graze all day long on chips and candy. BUT they hold the high ground because they are vegan.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 08:59

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

IMO Being vegan is an unhealthy way to live.

We have the teeth of an omnivore, the digestive system of an omnivore and the enzymes of an omnivore. It just makes sense that we should be omnivores.

Vegetarian animals have no cutting teeth, just ripping and grinding teeth - we have both.

Veg animals have either multiple stomachs, extremely long digestive tracts, or they eat their own feces because digesting plant matter and getting the nutrients out of it is not easy. I have one stomach, a moderate digestive tract, and I'm not about to eat feces.

BTW, the only vegetarians are true vegans. After all, which green plant produced that egg? cheese? fish????

As mammals, we naturally start off drinking milk. So we start life as a carnivore unless we are fed artificial formula. Milk is an animal product, not a vegetable product. I've never seen a green plant grow a human breast, but if you leave it to the GMO scientists and give them enough time, it might happen in the future

There is a lot of veggie propaganda out there. It's like a religion and they are always looking for new converts. I don't know if they all feel superior or not, but it seems the majority want you to join the fold.

If they want to compromise their health to ease the guilt of eating animals, it's OK with me, but I'm not joining them.

BTW, I think that although we take the lives of the cows, pigs, fowl, etc., we also give them life. How may steers do you think would be living on the planet if we didn't eat them? Probably close to zero. So we give them a safe life on the range and then blam, they don't know what hit them. I get to eat protein with iron and B12 that my body can assimilate, and I thank them for the sustenance and I say "Your welcome" for bringing them into the world to have a life in the first place.

BTW, we have some vegan friends who have never-ever tried to convert us, nor have we tried to convert them. When we go out to eat, we find places that can accommodate both of our diets. They are simply picky eaters, they don't eat animal products, and we are picky eaters, we don't eat high glycemic foods. They have seen the weight I loss and say "good for you". That's the way it should be.

Back on topic.

To lose weight as a vegan, you have to really watch what you eat. It's possible, but all the vegans I've known have been overweight and have aged prematurely.

Bob

Bob

Last edited by Bob-a-rama : Wed, Jul-01-15 at 09:07.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-15, 12:33

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I I have one stomach, a moderate digestive tract, and I'm not about to eat feces.

Aw, come on. Where's your sense of adventure?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-15, 11:36

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I see Neal Barnard's name quite often in the studies that are cited. Barnard is not an unbiased researcher.

http://link.springer.com/article/10...1606-015-3390-7
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-15, 11:52

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I have seen skinny vegans, however there doesn't appear to be much muscle anywhere. Just my observation. Wonder what it's doing to the brain as well? Scary!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-15, 12:39

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
I have seen skinny vegans, however there doesn't appear to be much muscle anywhere. Just my observation.

I know some skinny vegans; no obvious muscle, but wiry & strong. I suspect it's genetic as my husband & son are the same & they are not anywhere near vegan!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-15, 19:01

Plan: Composite/Atkins 1972
Stats: 220/196/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Alas, if humans are going to eat, they're going to be responsible for the death of other creatures, either the larger animals they eat for food, or the countless smaller animals killed and injured in the fields and at the storage facilities, so that people can eat grains and legumes. One isn't necessarily more "ethical" than the other, but I get tired of the vegan/animal rights folks trying to run everybody else's lives based on what is in fact a false premise.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-15, 08:25

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

I was a skinny vegan (wiry and strong) for 10 years during my 30s. I also took up exercise during that time, jogging, aerobics. Eventually that w.o.e. wasn't sustainable for me. I didn't understand food-combining enough to get the necessary amino acids and proteins. So my nails became paper thin and all the grains (OMG, so many grains!) caused a skin rash that I have only in recent years cured by eliminating grains entirely. I think it was having a 30-year-old metabolism and being very active that kept me skinny as a vegan DESPITE all those grains. What else could possibly explain it?

I'm betting my life on a primal diet, as natural and unprocessed as possible, being healthier, better for weight loss, and more sustainable over decades than a vegan diet, or any other.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-15, 08:37

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

In nature, if it weren't for the meat eating creatures, the herbivores would literally eat themselves out of house and home. The limiting factor for them would be starvation.

The omnivores and carnivores are part of the balance.

Think of the Galapagos Marine Iguana. With no predators they stripped their island clean of their plant food centuries ago. Then they started eating seaweed to keep from starving.

The next problem was as their numbers increased, all the easy, close to shore seaweed was soon devoured.

Now they have to dive in the cold water as deep as they can for as long as they can hold a breath, take a bite, and get back to the surface before they drown. Since they are cold blooded, then they have to lie on a hot rock to warm their body temperature so they don't die from being too cold.

Their population is now limited by the Iguanas who either can't hold their breath long enough to get deep enough for a bite (then starve to death) or can't warm their body temperature enough to survive the next bite (then die of hypothermia). It's not a good life, it's a daily struggle to get a minimal amount of food, just enough to make it to the next day, which might be any particular Iguana's last because he/she just couldn't get enough food that day.

A world without predators would not be a nice place for a planet of nothing but herbivores. As romantic as the notion of no meat eating might be, in practice at first it would lead to a world of always hungry, tortured animals with the survivors being those who could exist on the least amount of food.

Eventually the planet would be stripped of all green and all the herbivores left would starve to death.

So when I eat that bacon or grass-fed burger, I'm doing the herbivores a favor.

Bob
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-15, 06:21

Plan: Composite/Atkins 1972
Stats: 220/196/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Bob-a-rama, interesting stuff about the iguanas.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-15, 08:56

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

I found that whole iguana process fascinating. Thanks.