Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-15, 20:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

BPC with duck fat may be revolting as well, but you only live once. I know most use it for cooking, but combined with CO and blended with hot coffee might be a tasty combination. If not, I'll use it for cooking.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-15, 23:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I suspect HWC is one of the causes of not being able to get to my goal. I'm staying steady (maintaining) with it, so once I run out, I'll forgo the HWC and any other dairy to see if that's the root cause. Where can I get duck fat? I'd love to substitute that for butter in my BPC!

Buy a duck; shouldn't be too hard. I can find them at the local supermarket in the section of the freezer where the turkeys are (geese as well, and they also have good fat ... and more of it). While the frozen duck is thawing, look up some recipes that might interest you for dinner. Roast duck is lovely - and no dis-assembly needed! Otherwise, sharpen a knife to dismember the bird. When fully thawed pull out all the easily accessible fatty bits. If dismembering the bird you will find there are other places where there is a lot of fat, and this can be cut off and added to the fat pile. Now either make your duck dinner (during which, and depending on cooking method, you may be able to capture some of the fat which cooks off. This is good stuff, though will have more "cooked" flavor than that which is simply rendered), or chop up your duck fat pieces, put them in a slow cooker, if you have one, or a heavy pot with enough water to cover the bottom of the pot by about 1/4" (not absolutely necessary, but it does help to keep it from browning too much). Turn the slow cooker to low, or put the pot over med low heat (or put it in the oven at around 300*F), and let it melt - without a cover so that the water can evaporate. It will take quite some time (hours) but doesn't require much work from you - maybe stir it every once in awhile. Ladle off the melted fat, and, if you want, raise the heat and fry the remaining bits till crisp. They make a nice snack or salad topping.

Voila! Duck fat! And a delicious duck dinner!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 05:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Buy a duck; shouldn't be too hard. I can find them at the local supermarket in the section of the freezer where the turkeys are (geese as well, and they also have good fat ... and more of it). While the frozen duck is thawing, look up some recipes that might interest you for dinner. Roast duck is lovely - and no dis-assembly needed! Otherwise, sharpen a knife to dismember the bird. When fully thawed pull out all the easily accessible fatty bits. If dismembering the bird you will find there are other places where there is a lot of fat, and this can be cut off and added to the fat pile. Now either make your duck dinner (during which, and depending on cooking method, you may be able to capture some of the fat which cooks off. This is good stuff, though will have more "cooked" flavor than that which is simply rendered), or chop up your duck fat pieces, put them in a slow cooker, if you have one, or a heavy pot with enough water to cover the bottom of the pot by about 1/4" (not absolutely necessary, but it does help to keep it from browning too much). Turn the slow cooker to low, or put the pot over med low heat (or put it in the oven at around 300*F), and let it melt - without a cover so that the water can evaporate. It will take quite some time (hours) but doesn't require much work from you - maybe stir it every once in awhile. Ladle off the melted fat, and, if you want, raise the heat and fry the remaining bits till crisp. They make a nice snack or salad topping.

Voila! Duck fat! And a delicious duck dinner!

Looks like roast duck is in my future! We got off topic a bit here, but linking this to Jimmy Moore, moving toward different animal fats like duck rather than dairy, my go to is HWC and grass-fed butter, I don't eat a lot of other dairy products, may be worth a try for 30 days to determine whether there's a change.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 15:15
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Thanks for the suggestion, Verbena. Whole roasted duck is sounding pretty good right about now. I love duck. It's all fatty dark meat, my favorite.

Do let us know how your N=1 goes, GRB511.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 17:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Jaminet bothers me because he extrapolates what works for him onto everyone on the planet. I've tried different kinds of starch and it's STARCH. Which breaks down into sugar. Either way, it's my kryptonite.

A couple of weeks ago I went away on a Wellness Weekend for my work, and it was very Weston Price. Which is awesome (fermented foods, grains and beans all soaked and sprouted, etc) and I was surrounded by slim, energetic, people. But I'm only now getting over eating this way; for me, it was low protein (and because I was on a package deal, I couldn't ask for more meat... there was little enough as it was) and rather short of fat and even though I kept my portions small, much starchier than I'm used to eating.

I've gotten a grip and gone back to meat and fish, eggs and avocado, some greens and lots of fat, and I feel ever so much better. I've concluded that I'm just very Paleolithic. I've pared down my vegetable material considerably, I've become extremely fiber sensitive, and if that works, I'll try dropping the dairy. I just have had no luck with vegetable proteins, my morning smoothie is currently vital, so it's high quality whey to start the day; I've tried other things without as much success as I get from my smoothie. And I get along with cheese; I dropped all my original weight (before the health issue) eating cheese and butter.

So where do I fit into the PHD? I suspect I don't fit at all.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 22:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Actually, Jaminet cites more research than just about anyone to buttress his arguments.

The problem, which is ubiquitous, is that nutrition research stinks like a sewage plant. Most of it's observational. Much of the remainder is on mice and rats, which rarely translates to the human experience. In clinical trials, confirmation bias is rampant — from the funding, through the design, into the data analysis/torture, to the conclusions. And that's the honest (more or less) research.

Jaminet overreaches the research continuously, and he's rigid. There's no doubt that a huge number of people do well on his protocol, but I'm very irritated that he doesn't allow for the full spectrum of diversity in the 7+ billion people on the planet.

My purpose in posting this link, though, was to highlight the difference in the way Moore and Jaminet made their observations.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Fri, Jun-05-15 at 22:45.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-15, 00:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

aj, You'd appreciate this I think: The Trouble With Scientists http://nautil.us/issue/24/error/the...with-scientists

There's a lot of wisdom in it.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-15, 06:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Actually, Jaminet cites more research than just about anyone to buttress his arguments.

The problem, which is ubiquitous, is that nutrition research stinks like a sewage plant.

Which is why I look very critically at most arguments; I've been told for a dozen years that eating this way will kill me, and "research" is supposed to be the reason why

But on a live thread on this very subforum, there's accounts of a person in remission from brain cancer, and instead of being very interested in his experience "science" is ignoring him.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-15, 06:35

BF:

Quote:

The problem, which is ubiquitous, is that nutrition research stinks like a sewage plant.

Which is why I look very critically at most arguments; I've been told for a dozen years that eating this way will kill me, and "research" is supposed to be the reason why

But on a live thread on this very subforum, there's accounts of a person in remission from brain cancer, and instead of being very interested in his experience "science" is ignoring him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
aj, You'd appreciate this I think: The Trouble With Scientists http://nautil.us/issue/24/error/the...with-scientists

There's a lot of wisdom in it.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. So many researchers, who should know better, take the attitude that if there isn't already a dozen double-blind studies on something, it doesn't exist.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 16:07

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Inflammabl, Planck's witticism, “Science advances one funeral at a time..” is going to be my new email sig.

But seriously, HITH do you set up an experiment without a clear hypothesis? No wonder no one trusts scientists.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 18:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

A lot of the type of research we deal with on this site is phenomenological, i.e. "We did this and got that.....". There is little to no theory to bind it together and guide the next step.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 19:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Inflammabl, Planck's witticism, “Science advances one funeral at a time..” is going to be my new email sig.
Yeah, I love this too. I guess it would be overkill if we ALL start using it in our sigs.