Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:47

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 153/138/135
BF:
Progress: 83%

I'm always looking for a good ice cream recipe - and LOVE Wendy's frosty - BUT are you concerned at all about the raw eggs? It concerns me a little but wondered what others think. Thanks!
Kim
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 20:54

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Well I got an ice cream maker

and made Suzanne Somers' strawberry ice cream recipe, which is delicious, but it uses only egg yolks and leaves a kind of "eggy" aftertaste. I think from now on I'll use the whole egg.

I have never had a problem with raw eggs, and I get mine from chickens who live next door. I think it just depends on how sensitive you are to Salmonella. My sister will get sick when nobody else does, so I am always careful around her. Just gotta know yourself I guess.

I WAS unhappy with one thing about my ice cream though. It got too darned hard, and the longer it sat in the freezer the drier it seemed to get too. I think from now on I will make it in the icecream maker and then store it in something else. But bother, now I have to go FIND something else that will seal properly.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 10:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 420?/325/2 Female 69"
BF:75/70.8/28
Progress:
Default Chocolate Soda?

Your recipe sounds so yummy...I cant wai to try it.I imagine it tasting like an iced cappuccino like we buy at Tim Hortons but I dont know what Chocolate aaasoda is.Where do you buy it?
I live in Ontario Canada.Thanks 2much!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 10:52

Stats: 196/166/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Question Kosher

Hey teachkids, pink, & sharann - another kosher atkins-er here in Chicago...I'm kinda new to this (I've been on atkins for 3 weeks) but I wanted to know if you guys know of a good flour substitute for cake recipes - the Atkins bake mix isn't kosher and anything I've made with soy flour tastes horrible...any ideas???
Thanks a ton!

P.S. - you can email me netime at *****

Last edited by Rosebud : Tue, Dec-16-03 at 17:09. Reason: Removal of email address.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 22:07

Plan: SF, grain free, vegan
Stats: 230/208.2/199 Female 5'2"
BF:More than enough
Progress: 70%
Cool Hey, Dveykus...

About the flour issue...I am allergic to almost all grains but I have had great success with ground nuts like almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts...try it...just make believe it's Pesach! My baking instructor in Culinary school thought it risky...but, then again...we all have to follow our own paths.

Good luck. Come to my journal and let me know how it goes.

Love & Light,
Pink
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:06

BF:
Default Crystaline Fructose did the trick!

Someone told me to try using crystaline fructose instead of Sucarlose as my ice cream sweetener so it would not freeze so hard. It worked like a charm! My latest batch of ice cream is soft just like store bought and delicious too! Wish I could find who said that and where, but thank you, whoever you are.

Pink, my local health food store has quite a few nut flours and I've been thinking of trying some just for fun. I have no kosher concerns, but I love to experiment. Have you cooked with any of them and if so what did you make and how did it turn out?

MB
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 16:50

Stats: 196/166/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default nut flour

Thanks a ton, pink! which kind of nut flour tastes most like the real thing? and do u measure it cup 4 cup like real flour?

thanks a bunch,
dveykus
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 13:21
Registered Member

Stats: 270/232/145
BF:
Progress: 30%

You can also get Atkins Ice Cream at Safeway stores if you have them in your area. Its pretty good, although pretty high price. They sell them next to the Klondike bars and Popcicles and they come in a box with four one serving cups. Just for those who have Safeway's in their area and are craving ice cream. It's about $4.99 a box. I have seen it sold in AZ as well at some Hi Health stores.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 00:53

BF:
Default KEWL!

Thank you Jeffiner. We don't have "Safeway" per se, but we have Vons, which is owned by them I think. I have never seen Atkins ice cream, but you can bet my eyes are wide open now!

MB
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 08:10
Registered Member

Stats: 270/232/145
BF:
Progress: 30%

You are welcome! I bet Vons has it as well I think Albertsons carries it also but I'm not an Albertsons shopper so I'm not sure and I haven't looked at Ralph's or Raley's yet to see if they have it. It's not Hagen Dazs but it still is pretty good when you are craving ice cream, and what I like best is it is already in one serving cups so that way I won't cheat and add an extra scoop to my bowl!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 09:43

Stats: 243.8/228/147
BF:
Progress: 16%

Ice cream is my worst enemy in life -- and I overdo it even with whipped cream/koolwhip -- so try to avoid. However, what I have been doing that I find very satisfying, partially because it takes a long time to eat, is mixing an Atkins shake (pre-mixed, chocolate is my favorite), and pouring it over finely crushed ice. I then eat it with a spoon. Very satisfying.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 17:57

Stats: 155/144/125
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default No Sweetener Speedy Ice Cream

I am unusual in that I don't like to use the fake sugars. I am getting used to less sweet taste in foods, and liking it. (I used to be a HUGE sweet tooth, too!)

This is how I make "ice cream" and it is really good. You need to not be too used to a sugary taste and then it will taste as good to you as it does to me.

Just mix cream (or nondairy cream) with frozen berries in a food processor. Bingo. You can vary the proportions, more cream if you need more fat that day, or more berries for more carbs. It's very tasty, and good to eat while watching TV.

I was able to take my kids to Coldstone Creamery with no envy the other day. I whipped up some of my ice cream, sprinkled chopped pecans into it, put it in a little tupperware, and brought it along. Very satisfying!

Yaelle (I also keep kosher but our family's tradition is only to wait 1 hour after meat to eat dairy - not as long as some.)
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 22:41

Stats: 134.5/130.5/110
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 16%

Hi Pink and Shar,

I'm kosher too. It does add a challenge to the diet. Thanks for posting.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 20:44

Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"
Progress: 47%

Im sure by now you might have seen chocolate mousse recipies? i got this from a friend- and completely frozen, it's as good as a fudgesicle, but really cold, its lighter than icecream, though just as satisfying.

just take an electric egg beater to one pint of whipping cream and a package of sugar free pudding- chocolate, vanilla- any kind. eat it as is, or freeze it. wicked good.

if you want to make a more decadent dessert, add a few raspberries or a tbsp of peanut butter. one batch makes about 4 or 5 good sized servings, and ther is about 5 or 6 grams of carbs each. it really hits the spot!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 15:10

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

When I had an Ice Cream Craving I took some Sugar Free Pudding. Mixed it up. then Whipped up a cup of Whipping Cream and mixed it in. and then I found some little 1/2 cup containers with lids at the local dollar store and filled them up and froze them. It is pretty hard but if you let it thaw a bit it is fine. ANd when I get a container out then I know I only have eaten a half a cup. They remind me of the pudding pops that we used to get.