Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 15:15

Plan: Composite/Atkins 1972
Stats: 220/196/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Barbara, I remember doing a diet like that a half century ago. There were also "free foods" -- lettuce, celery, and the like. I remember eating my lunch of a bunch of lettuce with a can of water-packed tuna dressed with a bit of vinegar. I lost a lot of weight and sewed myself some wonderful clothes. But you know the rest of the story.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-15, 09:48

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
But you know the rest of the story.
Yes, I certainly do.

In 1996, I lost 50lb (my greatest one-time loss) with low-fat/low-cal/high aerobics. And, oh, I almost forgot. Phen/fen. Helpful doc y'know. I kept that off long enough to join the National Weight Control Registry, which still has me recorded as a success story on that diet. Also, a friend of mine who is a writer wrote my "How I Did It" story that got published in Fitness Magazine around 1999. So I'm "famous" as a loser.

Losing is relatively easy. Maintaining? Not so much. However, I think I've finally got my head around LC as a lifestyle. I'm not at what I used to consider my "Goal" weight yet. But after close to 50 years of yo-yo dieting, I feel right at home on this Forum, and I plan to stick around.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-15, 10:38

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinura
But you know the rest of the story.

Yes, I do! In 1981, I lost 175 lbs. and 2006, I lost 100 lbs. I KNOW HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT when I really get my mind wrapped around it. Changing old habits is hard, but so is buying bigger clothes every few months. I have this habit of giving away my fat clothes when I'm losing. On a happy note, I KEEP my skinny clothes, so have plenty to wear as I go down the scale!!
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-15, 08:38

BF:

. . . the rest of the story. I don't remember what I weighed at my lowest, but at 5' 6" I made myself a size 11 dress that was cute as a button. That was about 45 years ago. Like everybody else, I've been up and down. Thirty years ago, I know I weighed 140-something. I also don't know when I reached the 220 that I show on the right. I just remember that I needed a size 22 dress at that time, so the number stuck in my mind. I do know that over the past several years of lowish-carb ("composite"), my weight gradually subsided, and over the past couple of years of more focused carb reduction, I've lost six more pounds -- down to my current weight. Low carb is the only way to go for me.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-15, 20:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

And yet -- as a preteen in the 70s, what were the alternatives? I don't remember the diet being that restrictive (I'm sure I didn't follow it precisely, I thought weighing food was stupid).

I do remember going to meetings and being cheered on for losing weight. I was VERY overweight before age 11, I was practically an outcast for it and teased mercilessly, then around age 12 I lost a lot of weight through WW and had much happier teenage years.

I'm not defending WW but at least they were on to a few things to move toward the lower-carb end of the spectrum. I remember most adults at the time were on "Stillman's" or the "drinking man's diet."

Anyway it was better than going to "fat camp" or taking lots of speed-type pills (as indeed I remember the other fat girls my age experiencing at the time).

I'm seeing SO many younger girls now of very large size, where would they turn to make a significant change? It's not coming from doctors for the most part, or schools; and WW clearly isn't viable anymore. I've just started noticing this much more, but maybe since it's more prevalent the girls aren't as ashamed as I was, fat girls really stuck out among all the thin ones it seems when I was growing up.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 07:14

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia

I'm seeing SO many younger girls now of very large size, where would they turn to make a significant change? It's not coming from doctors for the most part, or schools; and WW clearly isn't viable anymore. I've just started noticing this much more, but maybe since it's more prevalent the girls aren't as ashamed as I was, fat girls really stuck out among all the thin ones it seems when I was growing up.

Good questions, pazia. I guess they are told to eat less and exercise more. Or put on diet pills that are not sustainable long term and make them feel like crap.

It was very unusual to see a fat teenager back in olden times when I and my peers all worshipped Twiggy. I am NOT saying that was healthy, but there has to be a healthy medium between emotionally damaging fat-shaming and physically damaging fat-indifference.

In Gotham, obesity is still unusual in all age ranges but as soon as I get a few miles outside I always seem to be walking behind teenage girls with multiple spare tires and a$$es the size of Iowa. There is something about their manner (loud voices, making a bit of a spectacle of themselves) that appears to state they accept themselves and the world better accept them too - or else! I don't know if that's self-esteem or bravado, I just hope they haven't completely given up on wanting physical health to go along with it.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 07:39

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

We all have stories to tell about our weight journeys. That's one reason I like being here. I like hearing them.

I grew up in the pre-fast-food era. I was somewhat "chubby" as a girl--prefiguring the butt and thighs I have now. I try to remember that people come in all shapes and sizes, and overcoming your own genes may be more about surgery than diet!

In high school, at 16, I was sent far away as an exchange student. It was a wonderful experience, but nobody told us about what stress and a different cuisine could do to our weight. All of us gained a lot. In my case, 30lbs in about eight months. When I got home, my mom and I agreed to a strategy: basically no sugar, no starch. That "stress weight" came right off. It wasn't until my 30s that I found out what getting older (and other factors) can do with those "chubby genes."

Fat girls and boys have a bigger problem than "over eating." They don't eat that differently from their skinny peers. Eventually, many (but not all) of them will pay a price in health and perhaps weight consequences. Too bad we have a shaming and bullying culture. Makes it all that much tougher.

Atkins begins with a forgiving spirit. It isn't your "fault." But you still have to deal with it. He considers shame (especially self-inflicted shame) a severe detriment to weight management success.

That's one reason I've always liked his plan, and himself. Miss him. But I read his books every now and then for reassurance.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 07:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Atkins begins with a forgiving spirit. It isn't your "fault." But you still have to deal with it. He considers shame (especially self-inflicted shame) a severe detriment to weight management success.

That's why I like OA. I've learned not to beat myself up, especially for past behaviors. If I eat off plan (not near as common as it used to be), I'm right back on plan. I have more energy to deal with the present when I'm not wallowing in past guilt & shame.

One day at a time!
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 07:55

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%

Weight Watchers does seem too have many dissatisfied former members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
In Gotham, obesity is still unusual in all age ranges but as soon as I get a few miles outside I always seem to be walking behind teenage girls with multiple spare tires and a$$es the size of Iowa. There is something about their manner (loud voices, making a bit of a spectacle of themselves) that appears to state they accept themselves and the world better accept them too - or else! I don't know if that's self-esteem or bravado, I just hope they haven't completely given up on wanting physical health to go along with it.

Must be all the walking there in Gotham. Interesting thing on the bravado comment, maybe something new, home of the brave land of the free I guess. The future may have a lot more diabetic patients unless something changes.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 09:59

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia

It is crazy, my daughter graduated HS last year, and I was a bit confused. I mean, there were overweight cheerleaders and drill team members? not slightly chubby, I mean easily 50-100 pounds overweight. to the point where the uniforms were bordering on obscene/ridiculous, as they were not designed for those body types. My daughter is considered "VERY thin!" now, where in the 70s she would have been normal. I was actually sat down and "talked to" not once but twice by very concerned teachers. "We think she may have an eating disorder..." Because she would do things like pass on the the muffin/bagel/etc offering of the morning, or whatever other disturbing behavior had caused her thinness. I would have to explain that she probably passed because she ate bacon and eggs at home, doesn't like the way she feels or how her skin breaks out when she eats grain, and stays away from it by choice. She will eat pizza with her friends sometimes, popcorn at the movies, etc. But has grown up low-carb and healthy, and for the most part chooses to eat that way herself LEAVE HER ALONE PLEASE. But SHE is the one with the problem apparently. Not the girl who just ate a third muffin, that needed a skirt with a 40" waistband special ordered. It seems like fat-shaming has just been replaced with thin-shaming from what I have seen. People always have to have somebody to label as "abnormal".

Kids aren't the only ones getting bigger. Parents are becoming incredibly large as well. At 270 back in 2002 I wasn't even close to the biggest T-ball or girl scout mom when I was involved in my kid's stuff. And when I lost 100 pounds, I was easily the smallest a lot of the time, and I am not "thin" at all. Maybe it's my imagination, but I seem to recall rooms full of much trimmer adult women in my childhood.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 12:20

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
It is crazy, my daughter graduated HS last year, and I was a bit confused. I mean, there were overweight cheerleaders and drill team members? not slightly chubby, I mean easily 50-100 pounds overweight. to the point where the uniforms were bordering on obscene/ridiculous, as they were not designed for those body types.

Ha, my friend made almost exactly the same comment when she came back from attending some kind of high school event. She said the uniforms left so much flesh uncovered on the bulging bodies that the young girls looked obscene and it was embarrassing to watch.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 09:05

BF:

KDH: "I was actually sat down and "talked to" not once but twice by very concerned teachers. "We think she may have an eating disorder..." Because she would do things like pass on the the muffin/bagel/etc offering of the morning, or whatever other disturbing behavior had caused her thinness."

Good grief. Aren't the schools still pushing unpalatable low-fat lunches in an attempt to keep kids from getting fat???
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 10:36

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Ha, my friend made almost exactly the same comment when she came back from attending some kind of high school event. She said the uniforms left so much flesh uncovered on the bulging bodies that the young girls looked obscene and it was embarrassing to watch.
I came back recently from a family wedding in North Carolina. The bride had her best friend as maid of honor, and her two sisters as bridesmaids. The bride herself was thin, but the maid of honor was quite chubby and the two bridesmaids were both seriously obese.

If I was a bride who had chosen these attendants I think I would have made an effort to select dresses for them that were at least somewhat flattering to their body type. But NO, the dresses chosen were strapless and backless, with a bit of a scarf over one shoulder, and each dress seemed totally designed to show jiggly arms, rolls of back fat, huge tummies. Whatever happened to dressing to try to make the most of yourself rather than the least?

If I had been a bridesmaid in a situation like that I think I would have refused the honor rather than wear a dress like that!
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 11:28

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%

Chiming in on the adolescent obesity theme: When I was 16, my mom took me to TOPS meetings. Now this was back in the '60's and I think I weighed 160 lbs and my mother was maybe 20 lbs overweight. The most humiliating thing in the world was to gain weight from the previous week's weigh-in. IF you had the bad luck to gain, you had to sit through the entire meeting and all you could say was "I'm a pig" every few minutes...NO I'M NOT KIDDING. I think I lost maybe 10 lbs then we just quit going. There were a couple of severely obese women in the group who never lost and always had to sit and do the "I'm a pig" mantra for the entire meeting.

Most overweight teenage girls nowdays have obese moms that are doing nothing to help them. I see the family groups at the mall and at church. Mom is huge and has a bunch of overweight children. It starts at home...
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 12:20

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I came back recently from a family wedding in North Carolina. The bride had her best friend as maid of honor, and her two sisters as bridesmaids. The bride herself was thin, but the maid of honor was quite chubby and the two bridesmaids were both seriously obese.

If I was a bride who had chosen these attendants I think I would have made an effort to select dresses for them that were at least somewhat flattering to their body type. But NO, the dresses chosen were strapless and backless, with a bit of a scarf over one shoulder, and each dress seemed totally designed to show jiggly arms, rolls of back fat, huge tummies. Whatever happened to dressing to try to make the most of yourself rather than the least?

If I had been a bridesmaid in a situation like that I think I would have refused the honor rather than wear a dress like that!

I'll save my rant about strapless wedding/bridal dresses for another day, but you never know, these days it's possible THEY picked the dress out. I realize that I have serious issues on the opposite end of the spectrum, and won't wear ANYTHING that sticks to or exposes any bulges, freaking out a little if it does. (won't do sloppy/baggy either, so it's a blessing I can sew! ) But... I mean, girls just don't seem to CARE anymore. Not just a few, but ANY of them. Or actually think it looks good or... I don't know. Half of me says I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, and everybody thinks "their" generation is somehow different, but could swear it just wasn't like that 25+ years ago.