Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 12:25

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

I used the word adult in my post above.

well, younger person, like one who can drive their own self to the store, fill the cart, push it into line and pay with their own money?

that is an adult to me

how young is this person shopping for themselves?

no one wants unsolicited advice from a stranger walking up to them, pointing to their cart and saying YOU ARE WRONG and fat because of not knowing.

I don't see this at all. no way. leave it alone would be my absolute answer.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 12:26

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleHall
But what if he had put it more like "Sorry to intrude, and I realize it's really none of my business, but I used to be overweight and believe it or not, the bread in those subs is very fattening due to the carb content" ? Then you would probably have said "yeah, but the sandwich is low fat and the bread is whole wheat..." and if me I would have explained how low fat is actually a bad thing and whole wheat is no better than Wonder Bread from a fattening aspect.... and then you would have knocked me on the head with your purse

Politeness might've removed the desire to deck him. It wouldn't have made a difference in listening to what he had to say or change my belief that it was none of his business.

If we'd already been chatting and the topic came up, that's different. But bringing it up based solely on what I was eating (or in my shopping cart) would be a no-no.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 12:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Just for another take on this: criticizing or judging someone's food choices just won't work, and it can stir up antagonism or an even deeper destructive urge to stick with what they're doing just to flip the bird at people who seem to be "on their backs." As a lifelong rebel I know that this has sometimes been operating in me, often to my detriment but not always . . .

And yet there can be a time and place to plant a seed for someone who may be at a crisis point without knowing it. Years ago when I was almost at my heaviest I sat next to a guy on a long bumpy plane ride who worked as an EMT. He seemed gentle, we just had a long rambling chat but he mentioned some of the problems he'd seen with people whose weight was out of control. I'll never know if it was intentional on his part but it got through some wall of denial for me -- he scared me into really thinking about being overweight and if that was the trajectory I was going to stay on. Soon after that I started LC and turned it around. So it's worth being aware of when you might be tapped on the shoulder to truly help someone who's receptive to it.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 13:05

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I keep quiet. You never know where they are in their life; they may have just undergone a crushing tragedy or job loss. If you had done it to me as a young fat person, I would have gone home and binged on the whole cartload.

And, they may have already lost a lot of weight on their high carb diet of deprivation. Once, having worked extremely hard to lose 50 pounds, with only 10 more to go, a physiotherapist I'd never met before told me I was fat. That sparked a binge that set me back another 15 lbs.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 13:05

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Agree that criticism, even gentle and well-intentioned, can backfire and I certainly wouldn't blame the recipient getting upset. Sure the urge is there at the grocery store or whereever but it's not worth it.
Also, even for the young people around here (and I live in the US south, lots and lots of large people, young and old) I don't think they really care any more, it's normal, and would be like criticizing their hair color.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 13:21

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
And yet there can be a time and place to plant a seed for someone who may be at a crisis point without knowing it. Years ago when I was almost at my heaviest I sat next to a guy on a long bumpy plane ride who worked as an EMT. He seemed gentle, we just had a long rambling chat but he mentioned some of the problems he'd seen with people whose weight was out of control. I'll never know if it was intentional on his part but it got through some wall of denial for me -- he scared me into really thinking about being overweight and if that was the trajectory I was going to stay on. Soon after that I started LC and turned it around. So it's worth being aware of when you might be tapped on the shoulder to truly help someone who's receptive to it.
This is a good story with a happy ending. And it's clearly a different situation from the grocery store scenario of the OP.

I think of my LC persuasion in the light of my religious convictions. Lots of similarities, as it turns out, in the level of belief and the sincerity of practice. But I'm not drawn to judge or convert. If the opportunity comes up to tell MY story (as that EMT did) then of course I will do so cheerfully.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 15:27

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Judge often?
You have got to be kidding me! What I or anyone else at the grocery store have in their cart is their business. NOT YOURS!

There are many paths to get to a healthy happy weight, not just one. If anyone at anytime approached me in a store to discuss what food items I was purchasing, store security would probably be involved. I don't care how gently or kindly some stranger phrased their OPION on my choices. Stress the "my choices" part. Hopefully, you would have your advanced medical degree with you to back up your extreme knowledge on what is "best" for someone else.

I realize my answer may seem harsh, but it is honest.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 15:28

Plan: none
Stats: 184/182/155 Male 5'9"
BF:26%
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlowc
MYOB!! The height of arrogance. It doesn't matter what age the person is. Totally rude.

Nobody asked you!!!!
As noted in the original post I have never actually done what I'm wondering if any of you have done. So apparently none of us here have done so, but I am suddenly "the height of arrogance" for even THINKING about it. Frankly I think it's a bit arrogant and rude to assume this is tempting to me because I might want to feel superior or even make fun of some young person as I described.

Nothing could be further from the truth as it's simply heart breaking and I feel like I have the "secret code" to a happier and heathier life for them, but dare not speak it. Quite frustrating actually.

Re "they are an adult if pushing grocery cart" actually I'm thinking of some in late teens with their mom I have seen.

But I get the picture... I will NOT EVER make diet change suggestions based on what I'm hearing here. I'm just shocked at how many of you are acting like what I'm tempted to say is evil and hurtful (on purpose, no less !) when I truly just want to help.

------------------
(on edit) In trying to see what might have set off so many negative reactions here...is it my phrase "fat person" that set off alarm bells ? Should I have used a more "gentle" (but BS) description such as "heavish" ??

Last edited by TempleHall : Mon, Feb-16-15 at 15:35.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 15:39

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

One place it IS ok to judge, in reguards to young people and food, is the public school lunch programs. My word what a travesty. In the last few years they've tried to make "healthier" chioices by federal mandate. You want to guess what those are? Nothing but low cal (high sugar) dressings and even higher carbohydrate choices than before. At the same time they offer things like funnel cakes and donuts for breakfast. Because it's even less "real food" than before (and it wasn't great then) the kids eat less lunch and bring candy to school instead.

Last edited by Whited : Mon, Feb-16-15 at 18:33.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 15:46

Plan: none
Stats: 184/182/155 Male 5'9"
BF:26%
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
One palce it IS ok to judge, in reguards to young people and food, is the public school lunch programs. My word what a travesty. In the last few years they've tried to make "healthier" chioices by federal mandate. You want to guess what those are? Nothing but low cal (high sugar) dressings and even higher carbohydrate choices than before. At the same time they offer things like funnel cakes and donuts for breakfast. Because it's even less "real food" than before (and it wasn't great then) the kids eat less lunch and bring candy to school instead.
Yes, that is astounding. Seems like I read recently where Pepsi touted moderate amounts in school ok since it "encourages hydration"..... OMG, what jerks....
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 16:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Not sure obsessed is the correct description here. My view, and it's just mine, is that 1) people must have freedom of choice, 2) I have certain beliefs about nutrition that many in our society would vehemently argue, as they have different beliefs (vegans, etc.) than I, and 3) until there is sound information backing the benefits of one or more of the many "healthy diet" hypotheses debated today, becoming a "savior" to the perceived unwise or unhealthy is not a role that can be played effectively. Particularly in a grocery store.

I think I know what works for me. I'm still researching and learning whether the WOE I've chosen works for others and how it may apply to certain "metabolic types" that enables it to be effective. To be less sure is to reprise Ancel Keys' dogmatic approach with potentially similarly flawed information.

So...... you abide. I'm not surprised.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 16:12

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

TempleHall, if this conversation is going to veer off into school lunches, you'd better open a whole new thread. As the saying goes, "Don't get me started!" And I don't even have a kiddo in school!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 16:30

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Temple, I surely do not think you are evil in any way

it obviously is a sore subject and the school and what they teach!!--yes start a new thread cause we will all jump on and go ape crazy!

approach a Mom and her fat teen daughter. never never do it. that is what is important. the Mom would have you for lunch that day literally!!

I absolutely 100% UNDERSTAND where you are coming from because I see it all around me also. Fat kids. ones that are 13-16 range that are very huge. It makes me wonder who is feeding them, what other problems they may have like medical situations and pray that they find the answer to tackle their weight before becoming a morbidly obese adult.

it is truly heartbreaking. I understand wanting to share your 'ah ha' moment regarding food choices. I want to yell it to everyone also. we just can't go after strangers in a store tho
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 16:40

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I would as soon walk up to a stranger and start discussing diet as I would walk up to them and start discussing religion, or politics. Not going to happen. I don't know why, but diet seems as inflammatory a subject these days as the other two I mentioned.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 17:22

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Its not the end of the world if we are judgment about something someone does as long as it stops to just thinking. Hell we all stop and think that a house color is stupid or the neighbors truck is out ragiouse or their kids are stupid or someone eats poorly. I get people telling me all the time how eating all that meat is going to kill me, when that happens I get full into low carb and inform them. They hate it, usually end up red in the face and walk away. Most people don't want to know how I lost weight years ago, they want a quick fix anyways.

When I'm in line I look to see what people are buying and on occasion look to see how if they are fat or not based on their foods. i WOULD NEVER SAY A WORD THOUGH. I have more fun trying to tell if they are single or not buy their groceries For that I am not afraid to ask and see if I'm right. Infortunitely that can bring the weirdos out of the wood work. I've been followed twice (oops)