Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 18:37
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian

Even this was discussed before

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ighlight=darmok

AH-HAH!!! THAT'S why that name sounded vaguely familiar to me. I have to admit I have a particular fondness for Spock and Data myself (not to mention Capts Picard and Janeway). In re Seven of Nine -- must be antigravity!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 03:36

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

I did get the e-mail, but couldn't find the "profile" icon, thought I was looking for a word saying "profile" instead. Have seen it now, and will oblige. Thanks.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 09:46

Plan:
Stats: 251/238/138
BF:
Progress:
Default Re: 100 pds to lose

Quote:
Originally posted by Slange
Hi Everyone,

Though I have lurked for a while I haven't posted much. However, when I saw this thread I just had to struggle up and be counted. Not sure how much I weight I have to lose but I know it is 300+.

Because of health reasons (diabetes, osteoarthritis) I have tried to do low carb now for about a year. I do ok for a few days then blow it for a day or two. you would think pain would be a motivator but it isn't for me. I am trying to do Protein Power, but after reading some posts on this board I'm going to check out Dr. Bersten's book.

I need encouragement and ideas on how to work this woe. I tend to just get bogged down with salad and meat. I'm not a great cook, but I think to make this plan work or any other you must cook and plan for success. So once again going to stock up at store tom. and start again Monday.

I'm going to post more often for accountability sake. Thank you for starting this thread and sharing your stories.

Shirley
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 09:57

Plan:
Stats: 251/238/138
BF:
Progress:
Default Re: 100 pds to lose

Quote:
Originally posted by Slange
Hi Everyone,

Though I have lurked for a while I haven't posted much. However, when I saw this thread I just had to struggle up and be counted. Not sure how much I weight I have to lose but I know it is 300+.

Because of health reasons (diabetes, osteoarthritis) I have tried to do low carb now for about a year. I do ok for a few days then blow it for a day or two. you would think pain would be a motivator but it isn't for me. I am trying to do Protein Power, but after reading some posts on this board I'm going to check out Dr. Bersten's book.

I need encouragement and ideas on how to work this woe. I tend to just get bogged down with salad and meat. I'm not a great cook, but I think to make this plan work or any other you must cook and plan for success. So once again going to stock up at store tom. and start again Monday.

I'm going to post more often for accountability sake. Thank you for starting this thread and sharing your stories.

Shirley

Hang in there! I'm what my doc refers to as a prediabetic. The 3rd day without sugar (Candy, Cookies, Cake, Mints, Gum) just about did me in. My husband too. I was a bear! {A rabid bear, with it's cub missing and foot caught in a steel trap.} I'll sneak in a few more carbs than I need (<20), I am trying to get my sweets by natural fruit--not too much. Eating a piece of watermelon instead of a cookie--lets be honest--at least a 1/2 bag of cookies must be better. And I weigh every morning. My scale shows 1/2 pounds as well as whole ones. If I'm going in the wrong direction--I try to figure out what I've done wrong.

If I can go without that first bite of real sugar I'm okay. I've come to the conclusion that in my case I'm as addicted to sugar as some are to alcohol!
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 14:24

Plan: zone
Stats: /185/125
BF:
Progress:

: what if it just feels like it ?
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 14:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi alleikat,

Welcome aboard! I didn't understand your question, but wanted to say hi

Wa'il
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-01, 03:22

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Hi Shirley et al

It really is all about getting organised. I've been 'off' the woe for about 2 weeks because I've started working again and just havent had time to cook and shop and get prepared. Bad news is - that damn 2lbs I fought to get off is back but I'm cooking tomorrow night and tonight to get back on track later in the week.

The Induction part is really hard but it doesnt last for ever, in order to do it, i give myself a bit of a scare (40 times more likely to die young than a person of average weight, got to lose weight to see my baby grow blah, blah, blah) to get the extra motivation to stick hard at it for a week. then I ease up a little.

Really good foods that break up the monotony (I find) are berry fruit fools (cream, 1/2 cup of berries and splenda), lemon cheesecake, lime meringue pie (recipe on this site) and sour cream banana bread (ditto). I dont much like cooking either but i find I have to or I just cant go the distance, the monotony is too great. Also, to lose weight, I have to consciously make an effort not to have fruit every day as the carbs creep up a bit much.

Keep experimenting and you'll find an increasing range of foods to enjoy (some of the stuff takes terrible but with trial and error, you can broaden your diet with stuff you enjoy).

Best wishes

Nicola
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 13:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/270/179 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hello, all. I'm another Wannabe Centurion. I delurked in Introductions last night.

What's really struck me, having read weight loss-related message boards of all kinds during the past two years, when I've been bouncing back among diets to find the one that will let me keep drinking Cokes and eating ice cream, is how many people are in the Super Plus category. (I weigh 282 -- no! 275.5 as of this morning ) When I was growing up, I didn't know anyone who weighed 250, 300+ pounds. (I'm 53, so I grew up Before McDonalds.)

So it isn't just that so many people are overweight -- 50% of Americans, I just heard on the news last night -- but that so many of us are REALLY overweight. This MUST be a result of junk food, processed foods, convenience foods.

Good luck to all of us! Let's put the junk-processed-convenience foods out of business

Xan
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 17:06

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Woohoo!

After reading all your posts I have to tell you, I am so motivated by your stories, it's truly a blessing! I've been 'fat' basically my entire life. I can remember being in grade school and going on a diet. I've lost 60lbs on Atkins in 5months, but I've went from a size 26 and today I purchased my first pair of 18's. I was THRILLED! When I put the pants on, I looked in the mirror and felt like I wasn't even myself. I still have a long way to go (i want to be a size 10 or 12) but I have found that exercise is a HUGE factor in my shrinking. This past month I've lost 5lbs, but from going to the gym 5days a week I've lost 1 and a half pant sizes! I look at this lowcarb eating as a way of life and I'm really okay with it. Weight Watchers never worked for me, nor did 'low fat' diets. I always felt like nothing could 'save' me from my weight. THANK GOD THIS HAS! I'm feeling better, looking better and have more confidence! If anyone out there is depressed or thinking about giving up, don't. If I can do this, truly anyone can! Nothing tastes as good as putting on those 18's for the first time!

Good luck to all!
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 17:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Xan

What's really struck me, having read weight loss-related message boards of all kinds during the past two years, when I've been bouncing back among diets to find the one that will let me keep drinking Cokes and eating ice cream, is how many people are in the Super Plus category. (I weigh 282 -- no! 275.5 as of this morning ) When I was growing up, I didn't know anyone who weighed 250, 300+ pounds. (I'm 53, so I grew up Before McDonalds.)

That must have been a fantastic revelation!

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Jun-24-01 at 17:35.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 17:38
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: Woohoo!

Quote:
Originally posted by ali0866
Weight Watchers never worked for me, nor did 'low fat' diets. I always felt like nothing could 'save' me from my weight. THANK GOD THIS HAS! I'm feeling better, looking better and have more confidence! If anyone out there is depressed or thinking about giving up, don't. If I can do this, truly anyone can! Nothing tastes as good as putting on those 18's for the first time!

Good luck to all!

Right on Ali! Your post is an inspiration for all of us!

Stick around!

Karen
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 14:31
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 313/271/200
BF:
Progress: 37%
Talking You Go Girl

Congratulations Ally.....great job! Your story is wonderful and how much I can relate to being heavy all my life. I can remember my mother taking me during the summer to weight watchers and measuring everything she gave me to eat.....! Yikes I felt like food was poison. I have a daughter who is 9 and I have never said boo about what she eats. We grow a garden together most of the year(in winter we grow inside a greenhouse) and we raise most of our meat organically. She thinks what we call Super salad nights are the best things in the world----we take our picking baskets and go through the garden and get anything thats ripe bring it in and make up a huge salad with usually grilled chicken, she brags about these to her friends. So alot depends on the foods we grew up with, I grew up being afraid of food and having the oreos put up high where Nancy couldn't reach them! Well when Nancy grew up she kept the oreos where she could reach them and look what happened....! Somewhere here I had a point I was trying to make.....boy long winded,,,,must be all that energy from low carbing. Take care all and have a great day.....Nancy in Oreo free land!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 22:12

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I think my Mother, in trying to get me to diet at a young age, was doing the best she knew at the time. She didn't realize how much she made me feel fat. I honestly didn't know I was heavy until she would talk 'diets' with me. I can remember being under 10yrs old and dieting. Food no long has the power or control it once did in my life. It's really amazing how we all let it control us. I have two eyes to see with, two ears to hear with, yet only one mouth. Ironic? I have a quickie questions: I'm eating so much cream cheese I'm going to curdle -- what else (minus egg salad/chicken salad) can bump me into Ketosis quickly? Good luck to everyone!

Ps. It's summer time and I find Crystal Light's lemonade (sugar free) to die for! Check it out!
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 07:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/198/170
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow
Sounds like you are doing well. Keep it up
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 09:32
Forum Founder

BF:

Hi ali,

Irony acknowledged!

Go to a natural foods store and get flax seed oil or an Essential Balance Oil. the Essential Balance has a better combination of Omega 3's and 6's.

Karen