Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 09:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

After Encore Day, Tuesday, they should all disappear and only be available for purchase from then on. Other summits did not give access except for the one scheduled day, and only the top five interviews in popularity were shown again on Encore Day.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 09:27

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
After I listened to Dr Bernstein I thought "why do I ever listen to anyone else?". Other people do have useful things to add but they only augment what I have learned from him, especially the law of small numbers. Jason Fung would now come in second with his understanding of intermittent fasting and insulin resistance. I am also looking forward to David Perlmutter today. I also, surprisingly, liked Marc David, especially his advice to frame adversity as an opportunity. I like Richard Feinstein too, although his talk was not that inspiring. I have his book "The World Turned Upside Down". He is a scientist and knows his stuff.

Jean

I actually find Bernstein and Fung to be complementary. I don't hear Dr Bernstein talking as much about lowering insulin as I hear him talking about lowering blood sugar. Though Bernstein certainly mentions insulin and its effects (I've read a couple of his books as well), it was Dr Fung that really drove home for me that diabetes is about insulin resistance, reframing high blood sugar as a symptom rather than the disease itself. One thing I noticed is that Dr B attributed insulin resistance to obesity - which is not far from the idea that being overweight *causes* obesity. It makes me wonder if he would agree with Dr Fung that insulin resistance is the root cause of diabetes.

I didn't listen to all of Feinstein though I generally enjoy his thoughts (have not read his book yet, though). I found his talk a bit rambling. I have wondered through the series at what point the power point slides were developed....after Mowll interviewed the subjects? I'm always grateful for the PP to sum up visually what some of the folks are saying as they ramble on. I thought Franziska S. to be one of the most concise and informational.

I skipped Marc David, will go back and listen on your recommendation.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 09:42

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I actually find Bernstein and Fung to be complementary. I don't hear Dr Bernstein talking as much about lowering insulin as I hear him talking about lowering blood sugar. Though Bernstein certainly mentions insulin and its effects (I've read a couple of his books as well), it was Dr Fung that really drove home for me that diabetes is about insulin resistance, reframing high blood sugar as a symptom rather than the disease itself. One thing I noticed is that Dr B attributed insulin resistance to obesity - which is not far from the idea that being overweight *causes* obesity. It makes me wonder if he would agree with Dr Fung that insulin resistance is the root cause of diabetes.

I skipped Marc David, will go back and listen on your recommendation.

Complementary is probably a better way to put it than first and second. Dr Fung definitely opened my eyes to insulin resistance as a root cause of diabetes. I think obesity is both cause and effect, with the trigger a high carb diet, since the process seems to be cyclical. This is certainly not something Dr Bernstein has elucidated sufficiently. He is the one who turned me on to low carb eating and its relationship to blood glucose levels so I remain loyal especially since it still works. I think perhaps that Dr Fung doesn't pay as much attention as he could to keeping bg levels low and Dr Bernstein doesn't talk enough about insulin resistance, so yes, complementary.

I hope you like Marc David. I wasn't prepared to like him but I did like his message of using whatever comes our way, and things always come our way, as opportunities, that being mired in victimhood and poor me is counter-productive to a happy fulfilling life.

Jean
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 09:45

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I did take the recommendation to go back and listen to the Marc David interview this am and have to thank you for offering that encouragement. Great speaker and truly offered a unique perspective within the overall conference. I do plan to explore more of his work as it would complement the dietary strategies for a healthier approach to life.

Dr. Michael Murray from today also was a great interview with lots of energy (some interviews have been so low energy it was hard to stay focused on content). And he was not hesitant to talk specifics.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 10:28

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Thanks so much for posting those links Teaser. I hope they continue to work. I am driving to Santa Cruz today to stay with a cousin I haven' seen in 8 years. I hope I get a chance to watch some at night. If they are still working when I get home, I'll be thrilled!
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 11:49

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I listened to Jimmy Moore's interview the day it was posted. I don't usually read the comments left but for some reason I did that day. Some very catty mean comments on his weight and why should people listen to what he had to share. Today I read his blog where he talks about his current struggles with his health and weight and how hurtful some people have been with their unsolicited criticisms. He was very eloquent in his determination to remember it is his life and it is his to live in all it brings. It brought me back to the wisdom that Marc David was sharing with us as well. The pathway we follow is never straight and rarely easy, but it continues to provide opportunities to grow and to give of ourselves to others.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 13:03

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
talked of studies where obese folks were able to correct blood sugars within a week by dropping calories to 6-800 per day. He feels food composition is less important than sheer caloric load.
It's hard to go super high carb on such few calories and a 'balanced' diet.

I like the dawn phenomenon theory!
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
It's hard to go super high carb on such few calories and a 'balanced' diet.

It's very difficult to eat so few calories no matter the composition - fasting seems to be the easiest way for many. Also, if calories are that low, carbs will almost certainly be reduced compared to "normal" levels. For some that amount of reduction may be enough to reduce insulin resistances. For others it will not be.

I find it interesting that his patients could achieve the same effect with very low calories (no matter how difficult! he admits they were highly motivated) that Fung's patients achieves with fasting. I just think different people might respond to somewhat different treatments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
I like the dawn phenomenon theory!

Not sure what you're getting at here.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-15, 05:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

As usual, Encore Day will only be the top five YOU want to hear again. Of course, we all figured out how to listen to all the talks all along but Vote here via this Google Doc to indicate your favorite speakers on the summit:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-Y...TU5NRo/viewform
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-15, 10:47

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Thought I'd mention that I've been trying Dr. Taylor's approach the past few days. I'll have completed the first week on Wednesday and will post my results then, but so far it's looking very, very good. I keep the calorie count down by eating only one meal a day at lunchtime, so it's really IF as well as low calorie.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-15, 12:45

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
As usual, Encore Day will only be the top five YOU want to hear again. Of course, we all figured out how to listen to all the talks all along but Vote here via this Google Doc to indicate your favorite speakers on the summit: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-Y...TU5NRo/viewform
Note that Perlmutter is NOT listed in alphabetical order, he is listed after the W's, not with the P's. His was one of the best talks IMHO - is someone trying to sabotage the voting?

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Mar-30-15 at 13:03.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-15, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
Thought I'd mention that I've been trying Dr. Taylor's approach the past few days. I'll have completed the first week on Wednesday and will post my results then, but so far it's looking very, very good. I keep the calorie count down by eating only one meal a day at lunchtime, so it's really IF as well as low calorie.

Interesting. I look forward to your results. There are so many ways to skin the cat.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-15, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Note that Perlmutter is NOT listed in alphabetical order, he is listed after the W's, not with the P's. His was one of the best talks IMHO - is someone trying to sabotage the voting?

I heard Dr Mowll speak last week and the interviewer asked which was his favorite of the talks - he said Dr Permutter's. Having just listened to it, I can see why. What an articulate advocate of our WOE. He's without question in my top 5!
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 03:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
I heard Dr Mowll speak last week and the interviewer asked which was his favorite of the talks - he said Dr Permutter's. Having just listened to it, I can see why. What an articulate advocate of our WOE. He's without question in my top 5!

I was really impressed by Perlmutter too. I have his book Grain Brain. And after listening to his talk I pre-ordered his next book Brain Maker.

Jean
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I was really impressed by Perlmutter too. I have his book Grain Brain. And after listening to his talk I pre-ordered his next book Brain Maker.

Jean

Me too! I read Grain Brain when it first came out and found it to be very even, very fair (even if it slammed grains). I pre-ordered Brain Maker as soon as I finished the interview yesterday.

He comes across with a depth of knowledge that few of the other presenters have (I'd put Dr Fung in the same category too). Many others are talking in metaphors for what the body is doing and they lose me. Perlmutter and Fung can talk actual biochemistry and make it accessible.