Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-15, 04:13

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

That seems very frustrating Janet. It is hard to know how to adjust when your body doesn't respond the way you expect it to. I do clearly have a dawn phenomena thing going on. When I went to bed my bg was in the 70's and this morning my fbg was 95, so definitely not bad. I just like the 80's better but all in all things seem to be working so far for me so I will leave it alone for the moment. I even managed to take a walk yesterday with the sidewalks finally not covered with ice. The dog was a black dripping dirty mess by the time we got home but so be it. Gotta increase that insulin sensitivity. There's even a very steep hill on my walk. I looked at it differently yesterday after reading what Mark had to say about exercise. I'll consider it my 20 sec sprint.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 11:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Another bonus interview. Brian Mowll was interviewed on Underground Wellness on Type 3 Diabetes, Alzheimer's. http://thediabetessummit.com/interv...h-sean-croxton/
Sean asked him great follow on questions, not all about dementia. Brian said a diet for diabetics might include Ketogenic for "a while", and Sean circled back to ask about LT ketogenic causing insulin resistance. Yup, Brian agrees (minute 40) same reason about liver releasing more glucose as it becomes insulin resistant mentioned by Sisson, but he also specifically said what I needed to hear. It is easy to reverse, just eat higher carb for a while. Carb cycle. Even Dr Fung's diet seems to be enough carb for me, and with IF, still Keto.

Sean at the end talked about the upcoming summit. Brian's favorite interviews were the brilliant Dr David Perlmutter, and also much praise for Dr Fung and IF. Really looking forward to those two.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Mar-15-15 at 11:18.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 11:59
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Hey Janet is there a written document with that interview, I have a real hard time following auditory interviews.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 17:53

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Brian said a diet for diabetics might include Ketogenic for "a while", and Sean circled back to ask about LT ketogenic causing insulin resistance. Yup, Brian agrees (minute 40) same reason about liver releasing more glucose as it becomes insulin resistant mentioned by Sisson, but he also specifically said what I needed to hear. It is easy to reverse, just eat higher carb for a while. Carb cycle. Even Dr Fung's diet seems to be enough carb for me, and with IF, still Keto.

Just listened to this (Thanks, JEY, for the link) - it is indeed reassuring to hear that yes, physiological insulin resistance is real, and that the solution is fairly straightforward. My gut reaction when fasting blood glucose begins to rise is to lower carbs further, but I too get better results if I actually raise them a bit.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-15, 05:01

Hi Liz, how is the workshop going? A good time to carb up.😉 I did a bit too much of that in Florida, but I'm back on IF now. 87 at 5:30 am! Last night had steak, huge salad, asparagus (lovely, thin spring ones) and a tiny red potato. Bought a bag of them for our Corned Beef and cabbage (feel like an outlaw on this board or the LC support group) but a little starch with dinner seems to turn off the PIR.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-15, 08:31

The workshop is over. I took all my meals and survived well, ignoring the 8 pies (for 24 women!) made and brought during the weekend between sessions. This was in addition to dessert at every dinner and random starchy and sugary snacks laid out in the kitchen at all times. I'm glad to say none of it was tempting for me.

I tried skipping breakfast the first 2 days and it was very difficult, could not concentrate, and felt weak. After that I had eggs and/or bacon each morning. One of the meals I took with me was corned beef with cabbage, half a carrot and half a potato.

I came home weighing about what I weighed when I left: 141.4. I just took my FBG for the first time since I returned and it was 101 (nova meter) and 103 (true balance). <insert disappointed face> Today will be my first fast since returning and I expect to see FBG back in the 80s within a week or two.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-15, 13:27

The day by day schedule so you can plan ahead, Dr. Fung is this Tuesday. http://thediabetessummit.com/schedule/
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-15, 14:21
Everyday Sane Psycho

so many good talks to look forward to
Now if only I had time to watch them all.
I wish it was this past week during my break.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-15, 14:19

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I started at noon with listening to Dr. Josh Axe on Insulin Resistance. I thought it was a great discussion with some specific recommendations for both dietary and supplements inclusions. 44 minutes in length.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 05:30

Dr. Axe suggested so many supplements, but most natural like cinnamon.I still forget that, lucky I remember the vinegar. Dr. Colberg had many interesting comments. Her new website about Diabetes (both types) and Exercise is huge, look like a great resource: http://www.diabetesmotion.com
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 06:09
Everyday Sane Psycho

Quote:
listening to Dr. Josh Axe on Insulin Resistance. I thought it was a great discussion

I agree with you, He was a great speaker. I also saw Sarah Ballantyne - I learned more about my thyroid in my whole life! And her diet is very close to Dr. Josh Axe's diet and to me this supports what Dr. Fung says as well.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 16:16

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I opened the page with all of yesterday's presentations early this morning. Then I continued to listen to one of them. Looks to me like they're not closing down access if you have the links:

http://thediabetessummit.com/dr-josh-axe/

http://thediabetessummit.com/mark-sisson/

http://thediabetessummit.com/sarah-ballantyne-phd/

http://thediabetessummit.com/specia...ed-jimmy-moore/

http://thediabetessummit.com/cassie-bjork-rd/

I listened to this one and here are my notes:

The Power of Physical Activity in Diabetes Management
Sheri Colberg, PhD
http://thediabetessummit.com/sheri-colberg-phd/

Just by having muscles contract you're able to take up glucose into the muscle cells, separate from insulin.

Resistance training will raise glucose levels temporarily or stay stable; in 2 -12 hours may drop. Aerobic will drop during and then level.

HIIT raises blood glucose in short term. Can do cardio warmdown to reduce BG after HIIT.

Resistance training versus walking will raise BG temp. May drop 12 hrs later. Combo is best. Can neutralize greater insulin sensitivity resulting from exercise by overfeeding following that period.

DiabetesMotion.com is her website with this type of info. http://www.diabetesmotion.com/

Intense exercise, glucose goes up. Stays up. But 8 hrs out may be lower in general.

When physically active, we process carbs and also process fat better.

Exercise promotes good bacteria as does a high fiber diet.

Taking high levels of insulin promotes breast cancer and others.

Exercise itself has natural inflammatory effect. Exercise creates oxidative stress so body creates antioxidants and reduces inflammation.

When asked how she would solve the diabetes problem, she said she would have people eat a diet that included 50 grams of fiber a day. That would change the gut and change how the body handles everything just by doing that.

Re Paleo diet, real paleo people probably ate around 100 grams of fiber. "None of us would have metabolic problems if we consumed that much fiber naturally every day."

Interviewer said, push to eat too much animal protein and not enough vegetables. To promote healthy kidneys as well as regular blood sugar, plant fiber is where it's at. Nothing wrong with animal protein, have to keep it in balance.

Last edited by JLx : Wed, Mar-25-15 at 06:21. Reason: link added
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 21:11

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I thought I'd read everything on Jason Fung's website, but his talking about the "insulin index" on the Diabetes Summit really struck me. So I went back and read http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/insulin-index/

Fish and beef have no noticeable effect on BG, but do raise insulin more than some carbs, especially beef.

A huge variety of processed cereals have been studied, but I wish more meat, fish and poultry would be tested, cooked in a variety of ways, to see what exactly triggers the larger insulin release.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Mar-24-15 at 21:17.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 21:41

I have just listened to Dr Roy Taylor (med researcher and MD from Britain) and what he had to say about dawn phenomenon was interesting. He feels it is an adaptive response to going long periods without food. His recommendation is to eat a small protein snack upon rising to trigger an insulin response and thus lower blood sugar. Later meals would not trigger the same glucose response. He also talked of studies where obese folks were able to correct blood sugars within a week by dropping calories to 6-800 per day. He feels food composition is less important than sheer caloric load. I found myself disagreeing with much of what he had to say (especially since it dramatically contradicts much of what Dr Fung has to say) but I thought the idea of the small protein snack might offer another avenue of experimentation for those with stubborn dawn phenomenon.

Dr Fung was great. I thought it would be a rehash of his other videos but there was in fact some new info in response to Brian Mowll's excellent questions. Fung's been the highlight of the talks for me.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 22:23

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I'm always impressed by Dr. Fung but I wish Mowll had asked more about fasting. We know that Dr. Fung puts his patients on long fasts but we know nothing about the details. I don't know of any other doctors doing that, so his program is unique. Instead, Mowll focused on a lot of concepts that are covered on every paleo website.

I suspect it was filmed quite a while ago because he said materials were available under patient resources that have long been removed.