Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 03:29

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How Exercise Keeps Us Young

Quote:
From The New York Times

How Exercise Keeps Us Young

Active older people resemble much younger people physiologically, according to a new study of the effects of exercise on aging. The findings suggest that many of our expectations about the inevitability of physical decline with advancing years may be incorrect and that how we age is, to a large degree, up to us.

Aging remains a surprisingly mysterious process. A wealth of past scientific research has shown that many bodily and cellular processes change in undesirable ways as we grow older. But science has not been able to establish definitively whether such changes result primarily from the passage of time — in which case they are inevitable for anyone with birthdays — or result at least in part from lifestyle, meaning that they are mutable.

This conundrum is particularly true in terms of inactivity. Older people tend to be quite sedentary nowadays, and being sedentary affects health, making it difficult to separate the effects of not moving from those of getting older.

In the new study, which was published this week in The Journal of Physiology , scientists at King’s College London and the University of Birmingham in England decided to use a different approach.

They removed inactivity as a factor in their study of aging by looking at the health of older people who move quite a bit.

“We wanted to understand what happens to the functioning of our bodies as we get older if we take the best-case scenario,” said Stephen Harridge, senior author of the study and director of the Centre of Human and Aerospace Physiological Sciences at King’s College London.

To accomplish that goal, the scientists recruited 85 men and 41 women aged between 55 and 79 who bicycle regularly. The volunteers were all serious recreational riders but not competitive athletes. The men had to be able to ride at least 62 miles in six and a half hours and the women 37 miles in five and a half hours, benchmarks typical of a high degree of fitness in older people.

The scientists then ran each volunteer through a large array of physical and cognitive tests. The scientists determined each cyclist’s endurance capacity, muscular mass and strength, pedaling power, metabolic health, balance, memory function, bone density and reflexes. They also had the volunteers complete the so-called Timed Up and Go test, during which someone stands up from a chair without using his or her arms, briskly walks about 10 feet, turns, walks back and sits down again.

The researchers compared the results of cyclists in the study against each other and also against standard benchmarks of supposedly normal aging. If a particular test’s numbers were similar among the cyclists of all ages, the researchers considered, then that measure would seem to be more dependent on activity than on age.

As it turned out, the cyclists did not show their age. On almost all measures, their physical functioning remained fairly stable across the decades and was much closer to that of young adults than of people their age. As a group, even the oldest cyclists had younger people’s levels of balance, reflexes, metabolic health and memory ability.

And their Timed Up and Go results were exemplary. Many older people require at least 7 seconds to complete the task, with those requiring 9 or 10 seconds considered to be on the cusp of frailty, Dr. Harridge said. But even the oldest cyclists in this study averaged barely 5 seconds for the walk, which is “well within the norm reported for healthy young adults,” the study authors write.

Some aspects of aging did, however, prove to be ineluctable. The oldest cyclists had less muscular power and mass than those in their 50s and early 60s and considerably lower overall aerobic capacities. Age does seem to reduce our endurance and strength to some extent, Dr. Harridge said, even if we exercise.

But even so, both of those measures were higher among the oldest cyclists than would be considered average among people aged 70 or above.

All in all, the numbers suggest that aging is simply different in the active.

“If you gave this dataset to a clinician and asked him to predict the age” of one of the cyclists based on his or her test results, Dr. Harridge said, “it would be impossible.” On paper, they all look young.

Of course, this study is based on a single snapshot of an unusual group of older adults, Dr. Harridge said. He and his colleagues plan to retest their volunteers in five and 10 years, which will provide better information about the ongoing effects of exercise on aging.

But even in advance of those results, said Dr. Harridge, himself almost 50 and an avid cyclist, this study shows that “being physically active makes your body function on the inside more like a young person’s.”

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...keeps-us-young/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 16:01
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Thank you so much for posting this. We tend to think in terms of how much weight we gain or lose, but it's only when we get older that we realize the toll that loss of muscle mass takes.
glenda
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 18:11

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Love this affirmation of exercise. I re-started exercising, and walking with a group, and am up to a 5k...I cannot describe how much faster and stronger I am already. I noticed it today while grocery shopping. I was bopping around the store like a 20 year old (wellll...) I'm 62.

Last edited by gonwtwindo : Sun, Jan-11-15 at 18:21.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 18:25
Doing My Best

I don't know about you, but exercising outside in fresh air gives me happiness, whereas walking on a treadmill inside makes me feel like a prisoner.

Exercise is good for the spirit. In Norway it's "free air life."
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wi...ect-with-nature
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 20:32

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I don't know about you, but exercising outside in fresh air gives me happiness, whereas walking on a treadmill inside makes me feel like a prisoner.
Unfortunately, not all of us live in Las Vegas. When it's - 30c snowy, icy and dark most of the day, I'll take the treadmill thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 20:53

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

How about -10, dark, snowy and 60mph winds? No, I'm not exercising outside for nothing, I won't even chase more horses in this crap. WHen they are hungry they will come home.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 22:38

When they're hungry they will come home. I hear you on the wind issue. The other day with the wind it was -34C (-30F) and there were ice pellets coming down. Just walking from the car to the building I felt like the skin on my face had had a chemical peel.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 23:40

Well, I'm in the low desert in SoCal...so, so hot in the summer; if you are not outside by 8 a.m., it's too hot. But at least I *can* walk outside...outside's my preference, too. I get so bored on treadmills.

The winters are cold sometimes, 30-40 during the day. If I wait a few days, I'll get 50+, so then I walk.

Now that I think of it, it's a lot like Vegas!

Last edited by gonwtwindo : Mon, Jan-12-15 at 01:15.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 23:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Yikes. I'd give anything for a 35 fahrenheit day around here right about now. That's not even 2 degrees Celsius....but that's warm dog walking weather for me!!! I'll only refuse the walk if we go down to about 0 or -1 Fahrenheit ( -18 to -20 Celsius). That's when the dog and I both would rather stay home. We have missed several walks in the last few weeks for being much colder than that. I ride my stationery bike from November until March. The indoors are more climate controlled
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-15, 00:24

And when it's all said and done, I think the key thing to remember is that anything anywhere is better than nothing.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-15, 07:12

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Id love to see things even in the upper 20's. See! I'm not being stingy, everyone else would have said 70's Mid teends today, not terrible but cool, cold enough I'm not going to bother letting the chickens out for the day.

I am considering doing some strenth training though.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-15, 07:58
Doing My Best

I go to a gym called Nifty After Fifty. I'm trying to rebuild my upper body strength. The machines are air driven, each member has a programmed key and the machine counts reps for me. There's also always a trainer watching to make certain we don't hurt ourselves. There is a blind woman with a walker who does the circuit with the help of one of the trainers. Even the music is geared to spare us the "noise" most gyms blast. I first started there when I lived in Anaheim. Great franchise.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-15, 13:58

Bluesinger -Wow that sounds like a great gym! If I had the money I'd open a franchise here. There's nothing within an hour of me. *grumble*

Last edited by gonwtwindo : Mon, Jan-12-15 at 15:06.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-15, 14:03
Doing My Best

When I moved to Las Vegas, there were none here. Then, after a couple years I found one, but only one Medicare Advantage plan allowed us in. This year I switched plans to Caremore (Medicare Advantage) and I'm able to go. Medicare pays up to $37 per month for gym membership.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-15, 14:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Are older people younger because they're active, or are they active because they're younger internally?