Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 06:26

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Have they changed the induction rules to allow the use of wheat, milk and soy? Or do they admit that pizza is for people who have reached the grains rung of OWL?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 10:55

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Have they changed the induction rules to allow the use of wheat, milk and soy? Or do they admit that pizza is for people who have reached the grains rung of OWL?

In a word: NO. In NAFNY the induction rules have not changed: < 20 net carbs from foundation vegetables (high fiber). Grains are still at the tail end of OWL as you are experimenting with which carbs you can tolerate. Soy is allowed for vegetarians. Milk is on the carb ladder but later in OWL

This is the confusion caused by the Atkins prepackaged Frozen foods.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 11:08

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Kristine, thanks for the ingredient list for Atkins pizza. I bought one and enjoyed it but deliberately did not read the label. Now all I can think is bleh. I also tried the Atkins Italian style pasta. I won't buy those again.

I too have Atkins frozen meals in my freezer for when I am too tired to cook or have run out of fresh (usually from being snowed in and I can't get to the store. I have a tendency to fall and my deck becomes much too slippery. It is a good excuse for not leaving the house.) I tire of them quickly. They all have a similar flavor.

Why these foods all seem to have sugar or dextrose in their ingredients I don't know unless it is to spice up the sauces.

For the most part, I choose the Atkins frozen meals over the other "low carb/high protein" frozen meals such as "Eating Right high protein." But the groceries where I shop don't always carry a variety of Atkins or much in the way of low carb frozen anything.

What pleases me is that manufacturers are beginning to notice that there is a demand for low carb products and are trying to fill it. At least we LCers are being noticed!

Yes Benay, I completely agree with you that it's about time that we low-carbers get out section in the grocery store. Back about 15 years ago Atkins still had a section for his vitamins specific to our WOE and that I wish was still available but after his death the Corp. removed them from the market.
There used to be a diabetic section in many stores but most of them don't have it anymore. I was just looking for sugar free products not for diabetic and that's when I noticed. Someone talked about low carb spaghetti sauce at Wal-Mart but wha=en I was there yesterday I read them all and found nothing much lower than what I've found before.
Well I think it's a savior to have the choice of buying the Atkins frozen dinners especially like you said when you are snowed or iced in. It's great back-up to keep anyone on low-carb.
Yea the Pizza is bad on ingredients and higher in carbs so don't buy it. It will be removed soon enough when no one buys it.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-15, 21:00

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Meme#1, I don't know if this is the sauce you were looking for, but Wal-mart has a new organic line under the name Wild Oats Marketplace. I bought the organic parmesan & romano pasta sauce and I thought it was pretty good. It isn't marketed as low carb, yet it only has 6g carb 2g fiber so for me 4g net carbs for 1/2 cup. When I'm just fixing a single serving, 1/4 cup is more than enough which takes it down to 2 carbs. You might want to give it a try. It is part of an entire line or organics they have - including canned tomatoes etc if you want to make your own sauce too. Hope this is helpful.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-15, 21:53

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Marie, Was it in the section with all of the other spaghetti sauces? If so I'll go look again but maybe I was thinking that I have found some crushed tomatoes with lower carb counts and after adding spices I can make it with less carbs...IDK? I'll go look again and see. I've really almost sworn off tomatoes and carrots too until I can get down lower in weight.
The only thing I've use it for is to make eggplant lasagna. During the summer and into the fall I was buying them from a farmer and theirs were so nice and small with few seeds. I don't like the taste of the seeds too much.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-15, 23:38

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Now that's a funny one, You think eating chicken, bacon or eggs is equal to eating spam

Well, for one thing, she said 'bacon and eggs', not 'or.' After your reply I had to go look it up. I haven't actually eaten Spam, but people do...not that different from bacon.

Farmer John Original Bacon ingredients: Cured with water, salt, sugar, sodium phosphates, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, flavorings, dextrose.

1 oz. of bacon:
Carbs: .4
Cals: 151

Spam: Chopped pork shoulder meat, ham, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite

1 oz. of Spam:
Carbs: .8
Cals: 87

I'n not a fan of processed foods...but this little google shows that bacon is about as processed as Spam.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-15, 05:34

BF:

Nice points about the difference between spam and bacon. Hard to find bacon that is not sugar cured!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-15, 16:05

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Ohhh I read a quote online that I like:

"Processed food has ingredients. Real food IS ingredients."
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 385/338/225 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have always done best from a weight loss and mental point of view being somewhere between 25-40 carbs a day. It is a level I have been able to lose weight not feel deprived.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-18, 14:43

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I've decided I'd like to lose another 10-20 lb and am going to use the Atkins 40 plan to do it but not with Atkins products, with real food. I miss my bananas, black beans, potato, etc. Traditional "ladder climbing" isn't working for me; I keep falling off! I'm going to start out with their guideline of 10-10-10 and two snacks and work my way up to 20-20-20 or 30-30-30 as I can tolerate it to maintain. Atkins' online food tracker makes it simple (I'm not a fan of tracking but theirs is good). Over time I'll memorize the portion sizes and be able to track in my head.

I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck.

Last edited by barb712 : Wed, Sep-19-18 at 14:53.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 11:14

BF:

I appreciate knowing about the new program and all the comments.
Since men and women have different metabolism a 40 net carb regime may work for a man but not for a woman.
Repeaters find it harder to lose with a higher carb count
The older you are, the more difficulty handling carbs.
Net carbs work for some, not for others.
I wonder if Dr Atkins would have approved this new sales approach. I think he would have looked at the research base first, determined whether it was causative or associative, and would come to his own conclusions.
I doubt he would have bought into this new plan as his plan was carefully worked out based upon his experience with thousands of patients. What was the sample size for these studies?
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 12:43

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

good luck barb. maintenance is harder than losing.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 13:02

BF:

Thanks, Ms. Arielle. I feel myself slipping, getting bored with the food choices and most days are not getting enough calories, electrolytes, water and am feeling awful. As much as I hate counting and tracking, I think it will help me rein things in.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 14:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Since men and women have different metabolism a 40 net carb regime may work for a man but not for a woman ...
The older you are, the more difficulty handling carbs ...

These things are true for some but not for everyone. Even as Dr. Atkins said, some people's ability to tolerate carbs are higher than others. I'm an older woman and can't handle as many carbs as I did when I was younger, but after a year and a half of OWL, I'm confident that 40-60 "net carbs" (~60-80 total) is optimal for me to lose slowly ---> maintain within that range.

Also because of my age as well as what my body is telling me, I need to stay vigilant of adequate hydration, electrolyte balance, and calorie intake. It looks like Atkins 40 and the online tools will help me do that.

I know I'm shouting into an echo chamber as most of the disdainful comments about Atkins 40 are four years old, but I want to emphasize that there's no law that says you have to buy or use any Atkins "food" products to do Atkins 40.

Last edited by barb712 : Fri, Sep-21-18 at 08:28.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-18, 08:14

BF:

Well, here I am after doing Atkins 40 for one week. Here's what I learned:

1. All that constant tracking, counting, and measuring is not sustainable for me. I felt like I was constantly trying to shove my size 10 foot into a size 9 shoe. DANDR is more intuitive and natural.

2. Drinking at least a half gallon of water each day does make a world of difference. It is my new religion. I have a glass as soon as I get up in the morning. Any back pain or stiffness I feel on waking goes away.

3. I tend to fall short on protein, fat and calories when I skip breakfast and so am back to having that third meal again. That, too, makes a world of difference in how I feel and function.

4. My typical baseline low-carb eating according to what Dr. Atkins' DANDR taught me keeps me easily, naturally under 60 total carbs a day, which is ideal for me. I have to work very hard to get up to 60. On a typical day, it's more like 35-40. I just have to remember to eat.

Overall impression of Atkins 40: very much like Weight Watchers but low carb instead of low fat.

Last edited by barb712 : Wed, Sep-26-18 at 08:27.