Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 18:33
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 272/257/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 16%
Post A severe indictment of the meat industry...

http://www.alternet.org/food/how-am...page=1#bookmark

This passage caught my eye:

Quote:
The average American meat eater pours 100 pounds of animal fats into his or her arteries every year. That has consequences for the development of atherosclerotic vascular disease, like heart attacks and strokes, and also plays a role in the development of cancer. In order to absorb fat, the liver makes bile, which it stores in the gallbladder. After a meal, the gallbladder sends bile acids into the intestine, where they chemically modify the fats eaten so they can be absorbed. Unfortunately, bacteria in the intestine turn these bile acids into cancer-promoting substances called secondary bile acids. Meats not only contain a substantial amount of fat; they also foster the growth of bacteria that cause carcinogenic secondary bile acids to form.

But of course:

Quote:
By now you're probably badly in need of some Prozac yourself. There is a solution to combating the destruction, deception and the health consequences of the meat industry. Stop eating it. You don't need it; none of us do. Your waistline, your arteries and your kidneys will thank you for it. And we just might preserve enough arable land and a livable climate to allow us to grow some real food.

Last edited by Fat_Camel : Sun, Aug-24-14 at 18:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 19:18

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
No one needs to eat livestock to survive. Yet meat is almost universally the focus of the Western diet.

Vegan propaganda alert. That's from the first sentence. Moron alert. That's from the second sentence. But don't take my word for it, read it yourself.

Was I right?
Quote:
The average American meat eater pours 100 pounds of animal fats into his or her arteries every year.

I'd really like to know how I would do the above. I mean, this is how I'd do it, but maybe I'm going to really hurt myself like this. First, I get some bacon grease and warm it up so it becomes a liquid that can be "poured" like the moron said. Then I get a kitchen knife cuz I'm just an "average American" like the moron said, and nobody should expect me to have access to any sort of medical apparatus like an IV drip or something. With that kitchen knife, I cut open one of my arteries, preferably a big one cuz I'm going to be pouring "100 pounds of animal fats" in there like the moron said. Then I take a turkey baster, which I fill with that hot liquid bacon grease, then insert it in that big artery I just cut open (never mind that it's now spurting blood all over my kitchen table), and pour. Is that how the average American does it or am I missing something here?

I like this part:
Quote:
Brian Moench, president of the Utah Physicians for a Healthy Environment, is a member of the radiation and health committee, Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) and a member of the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS). The opinions expressed are his own and not an official position of UCS or PSR.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 10:38

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Mmmmm, animal fat.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 10:47

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

yeah...ummm...I'm going to go eat my chicken and bacon salad with a couple of leaves in it and stir my roast beef cooking in bacon fat and chicken broth. And then feel terribly sorry for the author of that biased, hate-fest.

To be serious though, the meat industry is appalling in their abuses. Other than that, the author throwing the anti-meat-eater flavor just shoots his credibility straight to hades...

Last edited by jessdamess : Mon, Aug-25-14 at 10:56.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 10:54

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

I love how focused it is on meat, instead meat ALONG WITH processed, sugar laden, chemical filled junk which typically makes up the average American's diet. Those being consumed at the same time has absolutely nothing to do with it right?

Evil meat is to blame!

I wonder what role bad vegetable oil, gluten, and additives, for example, play into the secondary bile acid formation.

Quack. Pure and simple.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 11:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Someone posted that article to G+ and I just had to reply:
Quote:
I disagree. There are certain nutrients we can only get from animal products. Certain forms of K2, B12, vit D3, A, Omega-3. Yes, some of those can be gotten in alternative form from veg, but they're never as well-absorbed or converted as the form from animals. Trying to re-engineer humans into herbivores is a losing proposition.

There's a reason you like your meat. It is good for you. However, we should be eating the whole animal, not just the muscle meat. Gram for gram, organ meats are even more nutritious than most vegetables.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 12:52
Inconceivable!

Plan: DANDR '72
Stats: 205/169/155 Male 69.5"
BF:

I thought I heard heads exploding!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 14:06
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 272/257/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 16%

Is there any legitimacy to that "secondary bile acids" carcinogen claim? The wikipedia article on it seems wishy-washy.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 14:27

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It's the first I heard about secondary bile acids. The way I understand, bile emulsifies fats, and it is then recycled into more bile, sometimes several times for the same meal. Since the primary role of bile is to emulsify fats, and meat contains fats, it's unlikely that meat and/or fat will do anything bad to bile at any point. What's more likely is that non-food will interact with bile to form even more non-food'ish stuff.

I just read the Wiki stuff (24,25,26 on the bile acid page) and I find exactly zero evidence to support the hypothesis. If meat and fat was so bad, then the evidence should be obvious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bile_acid

Last edited by M Levac : Mon, Aug-25-14 at 14:46.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 15:01

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The most famous link of bile acids and cancer is with colorectal cancer. Dean Ornish likes a very high carbohydrate, high fiber, plant based diet. One reason he likes it is the idea that a high fiber diet will cause a great loss of bile cholesterol in the stool. (He also likes the idea of lowering sex hormones--specifically testosterone, I remember reading--that can also be lost in the stool). Which sort of suggests more of the bile--whether primary or secondary--making its way through the colon. Not that I'd want to make too much of that.

Research in this area goes like this

1)notice a correlation in human epidemiology that's too weak to mean anything.
2)design a mouse that gets atherosclerosis when fed cholesterol, or colon cancer when fed beef, or Alzheimer's when fed butter.
3)study the mouse you designed, figure out the ins-and-outs--the mechanisms by which this mouse, that you bred/genetically modified to get sick when fed animal products, gets sick. Each time you uncover a mechanism, notify the idiot press--which will immediately release a story shouting to the world that the precise mechanism by which red meat causes colorectal cancer etc., has been pinpointed.

Not that this kind of research doesn't get results. Look at leptin. They bred various leptin deficient mice to use as a model for human obesity, before they even knew what leptin was. This led to the discovery of leptin. It didn't lead to the discovery of the cause of human obesity, in most cases. But leptin is nice to know about.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-14, 04:10
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Why would he want to reduce testosterone?

I do recall that a high-fiber, high-carb diet was part of the goal for reducing sex drive by the old 'graham cracker' inventor and possibly corn flakes (not sure on the latter), apparently this works.

But it seems to me that anything that reduces sex drive tends to reduce health, are they not at least correlated?

PJ
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-14, 04:26

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...10419121353.htm

Quote:
"For many decades it had been believed that a history of prostate cancer, even if treated and cured, was an absolute contraindication to testosterone therapy, due to the belief that testosterone activated prostate cancer growth, and could potentially cause dormant cancer cells to grow rapidly," says Abraham Morgentaler, MD of Men's Health Boston. "Generations of medical students and residents were taught that providing testosterone to a man with prostate cancer was like pouring gasoline on a fire.

Dr. Ornish was worried about sex-specific cancers. No sex, no sex-specific cancers, I guess, at least that's what he was hoping.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-14, 17:15

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

How on earth do you pour animal fat into your arteries? My uncle use to be an alcoholic and was poisoned to the point where they had to do some "pump out all the bad blood and replace it" deal. Is that where they pump out your blood, mix it with beef lard and pump it back in? Will my HMO cover that?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-14, 13:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Why would he want to reduce testosterone?

I do recall that a high-fiber, high-carb diet was part of the goal for reducing sex drive by the old 'graham cracker' inventor and possibly corn flakes (not sure on the latter), apparently this works.

Sylvester Graham - I thought of him, too. Certain foods were thought to "cool" the passions, while meat, milk, and spices "inflamed" passion. Kellogg, the inventor of corn flakes, believed that, too.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-14, 16:25

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
So far the evidence that bile acids are involved in colonic carcinogenesis is largely circumstantial. It is, however, well accepted that environmental factors, such as dietary habits influence genetic susceptibility. Bile acids could play a promoting role in this process.

This was the conclusion of one study I turned up in my quick-and-dirty Google search on secondary bile acid. Environmental factors? Dietary habits? I should say so.

Funny how studies of indigenous African populations with "high fiber" diets are compared with American populations with western diets--as if nobody ever heard of Mickey D's French fries or burritos with refried beans and taco chips and the 64 oz soft drink.

High fat? Well, among other things!

Take your scientific mitts off my ribeye and back away.