Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-14, 06:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
And now it really is effortless to pass on these foods. I don't have to argue with myself any more. This is how it has to be and I'm finally OK with it.

This reminds me of how, when I went gluten free, even the slightest twinge of temptation towards baked goods went with it. They are not on my list, so my brain doesn't even bring it up.

This is the power of decision.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-14, 06:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

"each day I go without the junky carbs and other things that might derail my progress, I'm a bit stronger than before. And now it really is effortless to pass on these foods. I don't have to argue with myself any more. This is how it has to be and I'm finally OK with it."

CMCM ...how very true! It is probably more true of all of us than some would like to admit!!!

Gaining and claiming that strength each day is a wonderful feeling and an uber-powerful way to continue on.

For me, I now look at food as my fuel and the toxic foods as ones I can not have. I make that choice each day. The argument, as time goes by, gets easier and easier.

Deanna

Last edited by DeannaK : Mon, Jun-23-14 at 06:20.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-14, 21:13

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecrane
Thanks everyone. After reading this I consider myself lucky to not be an emotional eater.

How patronizing - and inaccurate. Some of the strongest, most emotionally tough people I know have a biochemical reaction to refined carbs. I'm one of them.

I've survived (and survived well, without tears and breakdowns) a few times that, I am sure, would make your head spin. I'm not even entirely sure they're appropriate for this forum so I'll leave them out.

Not for nothing, and not to be snippy, I promise, but for someone with neither chemical NOR emotional issues with food, oddly, you're quite overweight like a lot of us - even those you are clucking your tongue at and pitying.

See you in November, and you can tell us all about your emotional superiority then. If chemistry doesn't get you down first. And no, I'm not hoping for that. But there are times that we end up (no pun intended) eating our words. I hope this isn't one of those times for you. Good luck.

Last edited by Glendora : Mon, Jun-23-14 at 21:24.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-14, 21:32

BF:

Quote:
When I was hungry I used to gravitate to the pantry. I found the habit easy to break though.

This is an interesting statement (the second sentence). If this is true, I am wondering how you got to be so significantly overweight?

I have to stop here as I may be perceived as being rude, but in my opinion, these are some pretty serious points that, again in my opinion, bear thinking about.

A lot of this just sounds like denial to me. As I said, I will end with this. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 00:15

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Following up on what Glendora said: it's not just about emotional eating or being a "carb addict." The foods themselves have addictive properties for those who are -- shall I use the word, "suceptible," a more scientific term isn't coming to mind -- and hook us into a cycle that subverts our well-being and control over our life.

So it's not just about being "good on your diet" and "sticking with it." It's realizing something much deeper about trigger foods (which can vary for individuals) and how much they can screw up our system and health.

Also: one of the key words in your original post is "vacation." Why would you want to mess up the pleasure of taking a vacation that you've so carefully planned and saved up for by eating things that will make you feel sick, weak, and crappy?

Not to mention the mood-altering effects of many carby foods that can really sabotage your pleasure in life, or relationships that may be damaged by your personality changes.

Regarding wine, sometimes it's OK for me, but I find there's a huge difference between a glass of wine with a dinner rich in proteins and healthy fats and having wine at a party without food or just a small snack. The first can be pleasurable, the latter can make you feel like crap.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 03:47

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
This is an interesting statement (the second sentence). If this is true, I am wondering how you got to be so significantly overweight?

I have to stop here as I may be perceived as being rude, but in my opinion, these are some pretty serious points that, again in my opinion, bear thinking about.

A lot of this just sounds like denial to me. As I said, I will end with this. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

It's kind of like me saying I can stop smoking anytime I want....yet I'm still smoking

And as for being rude - keep going! One of the greatest things about this forum is that you can get coddled when you need it and you can get a good kick in the a** when you need it to .
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 09:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyk26
It's kind of like me saying I can stop smoking anytime I want....yet I'm still smoking

And as for being rude - keep going! One of the greatest things about this forum is that you can get coddled when you need it and you can get a good kick in the a** when you need it to .

I've just said all of the things the OP said so many times, and have subsequently fallen on my face so many times so I felt the need to share without sugar-coating.

Ultimately it's always our own decision what risks to take and what not to take.
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 13:14

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Thanks everyone. After reading this I consider myself lucky to not be an emotional eater.

Well, now let's be honest here. If you do not believe that you can have a fun vacation without junk food, or that a lack of junk food will ruin an otherwise good time, what is that if not emotional?
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 14:14

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
Well, now let's be honest here. If you do not believe that you can have a fun vacation without junk food, or that a lack of junk food will ruin an otherwise good time, what is that if not emotional?

Good point.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-14, 12:28
Registered Member

Stats: 254/231/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
How patronizing - and inaccurate. Some of the strongest, most emotionally tough people I know have a biochemical reaction to refined carbs...

Not for nothing, and not to be snippy, I promise, but for someone with neither chemical NOR emotional issues with food, oddly, you're quite overweight like a lot of us - even those you are clucking your tongue at and pitying.

See you in November, and you can tell us all about your emotional superiority then. If chemistry doesn't get you down first. And no, I'm not hoping for that. But there are times that we end up (no pun intended) eating our words. I hope this isn't one of those times for you. Good luck.

What on Earth did I say to incite this type of response from you? If I have offended any of you, I am truly sorry. I do not come here to feel superior to anyone else. I come here for support, because I acknowledge my own problems and that I am not perfect.

I absolutely never meant to 'patronize' anyone, and certainly have not "clucked my tongue" at anyone. Remember, text makes it difficult to comprehend someone's mannerisms and attitude.

Someone asked how I became to be overweight to begin with. I will answer that question: I didn't know about carbs and tried eating a low fat celery grilled chicken diet for years. I was uneducated about nutrition and simply didn't know how to eat. So I became overweight. Not due to compulsive or emotional eating. Is that a put-down to those who eat emotionally? No.

My comment about going to the pantry when I'm hungry simply meant I used to go carb hunting (what do you put in the pantry? cereal, breads, peanut butter, jelly etc...). Atkins broke that nasty habit. Not I go to my refrigerator, which is carb-free.

That was the only 'point' I was making. I was speaking figuratively. I am thankful for the help of this forum in allowing me to achieve my goals. I am no longer legally obese and am continuing to lose weight at a reasonable pace. I have 0 carb cravings whatsoever. I call myself a "meataterian" as a light-hearted joke now.

As far as the weak of cheating goes, I value your responses and have made a decision. I thank everyone for their input. I read every post.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 19:06
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hey Whitecrane! So what did you decide to do on your vacation?
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 19:26
Registered Member

Stats: 254/231/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Didn't go yet, but am going to cheat that week, October 19th - 27th. Then go back to induction cold turkey. I've been on induction for months. Won't be hard. I expect to gain water weight mostly. Regardless, at my current weight it's less significant to me what a week of damage can do. Hopefully by then I'll be even lighter.

I'd say that I'll check back in after I get back in case anyone is curious of the results, but after the way this thread was handled I'm leery the I would be accused of somehow bragging about successes instead of reporting facts to a group.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 19:44
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

In all honesty, you've got to do what works for you. And I hope you will come back and let us know how it went. I'd want to know and I hope you are successful and I wouldn't consider it bragging. But then I am not like most people!

I did my Thanksgiving cheat. Just like you, I planned it...would I do it again? Probably not. But I'm in a different place mentally now then I was last year...

Wishing you all good things, Whitecrane! Onward and DOWNWARD, dude!
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-14, 10:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/247/230 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Whitecrane, my advice is this: 1. listen to your body.
2. It's vacation, enjoy it!
If you have good willpower, you may be fine to indulge. The challenges you face is that your body may not enjoy the flood of wine carbs the way it used to. I am on induction, and have always loved my wine. I allowed myself a glass at a friends dinner party last Friday night, and didn't get a good reaction from my body at all....only had a half a glass. So if you prepare yourself to listen to your body, and ease into it, I am hoping you will be fine. It's vacation, man....enjoy yourself. You will be back in the real world soon enough. If you are prepared to pay the consequences for the hard work you have done so far, than so be it. At least you can look back and say you had a good vacation.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-14, 11:30

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Is it really so difficult for people to believe you can actually enjoy yourself without carbage? If I was in this mindset, that would bother me more than anything else. I LOVE being the person that passes stuff up that others just "can't resist!" Was always envious of those people back in the day, worked hard to be like that and enjoy life EVERY day thanks to it. To each their own I suppose. But I'd rather bring back good memories of things I DID from vacation over regret over things I ate. SO not worth it. And so not as easy to just jump back on board as people seem to think. If the number of posters disappearing after such plans means anything anyway. Or the number of people coming back years later after a "planned cheat". To be fair, I have seen people get away with it. But more often than not, they are under 30 and/or male.