Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 15:10

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Feel skinny, then fat again!?!

Wasn't sure where else to post this, maybe this is the right place - and maybe this us gonna sound crazy, but just go with me for a minute...

There's no denying for me at 360+ pounds I was fat - I quickly drop 80 pounds and I feel good, I can move better, I can sit in booths with my wife at restaurants and I have this sense of even feeling small, maybe even skinny. Now I realize that is a relative term because even at 5'6' and 277 pounds, I'm still a big guy - but lately I've become even more aware of my size again. It's like I've never lost the weight. It's like in right back where I was at 360 some days. Am I crazy (maybe that's the wrong question - ha)! Has anyone else felt this way during their weight loss. It's almost throwing me off track to some extent!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 15:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey
Wasn't sure where else to post this, maybe this is the right place - and maybe this us gonna sound crazy, but just go with me for a minute...

There's no denying for me at 360+ pounds I was fat - I quickly drop 80 pounds and I feel good, I can move better, I can sit in booths with my wife at restaurants and I have this sense of even feeling small, maybe even skinny. Now I realize that is a relative term because even at 5'6' and 277 pounds, I'm still a big guy - but lately I've become even more aware of my size again. It's like I've never lost the weight. It's like in right back where I was at 360 some days. Am I crazy (maybe that's the wrong question - ha)! Has anyone else felt this way during their weight loss. It's almost throwing me off track to some extent!

You're just getting used to being slimmer, your mind is readjusting. Have a look at some old clothes, so that you realise how far you've come so far eventually you're mind will accept that you're no longer a big guy!

Jo xxxx
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 15:53

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Yeah the mental journey is a process just like the physical. There are days when i see my before self there and others when i see my current self there. What really helps is when i keep looking at some of the before pictures and ease of moving really indicate just how far i have come.

Also reminiscence of what if any pains you had and your general state of mobility in the world at your starting weight in addition to clothes as mentioned. It really puts in perspective of how far you come and progressed.

I do hear you though.

Last edited by Maori : Fri, May-30-14 at 16:36.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-14, 16:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Yup. I'm currently in the "fat" mind set right now. I felt so good for awhile and now I feel huge again. I like to check thr size tags in my clothes to remind myself
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-14, 16:41

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:
but lately I've become even more aware of my size again. It's like I've never lost the weight. It's almost throwing me off track to some extent!

I have been feeling the exact same way. The only thing I can think of is our want, or better yet NEED to "be there" already. I have to remind myself where I was February 1st and where I am now. It helps.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-14, 17:40

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I too see myself as fat again, after thoroughly enjoying being slim in the beginning. Only before and after pictures convince me, but then I'll catch sight of my reflection in a shop window or something and see a "big" person. Glad to know I'm not alone in this. I know it's just a trick of the mind and I'll never let it get me down enough to throw all the real success away.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 20:32

BF:

Like some of you said, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this. Don't get me wrong, I do see the difference in my clothes - I haven't bought a lot of new clothes. I've dropped from a 4X shirt (probably should have been in a 5x),down to a 3x - not quite ready for a 2x, 48-50 pants down to 44s. Could probably drop down a size in pants, but I'm hoping just to hold on because, well I can't afford that much of a new wardrobe. I'd be replacing a wardrobe several times over at this rate! But that's for another thread, huh?!?

I think that's been part of the issue - because I'm still in most of the same clothes. I had these clothes from my previous weight loss so maybe that's why I'm not "seeing" a difference so much.

I definitely see a difference in pictures when I catch a glance at old pictures, glad I'm not the only one that the "feeling" is still there.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 21:03

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I am so proud of your numbers.
What a great improvement.
Your A1C is amazing.
Look at these numbers, not the scale and you will see how far on this journey you have already come.
Almost 100 on the scale is not shabby.
Watched Extreme Weight Loss tonight and with professional help for 1 year they didn't equal your loss.
You are a good example for how to do this.
N2L
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 00:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

It seems we're all the same!! I too still think I'm overweight. I know I cant be cos I'm wearing UK size 8 - 10, but its a mind game I guess. We get used to how we are and used to self criticism and analysis. We have to stop that................... somehow!!

Jo xxx
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 07:47

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Could probably drop down a size in pants, but I'm hoping just to hold on because, well I can't afford that much of a new wardrobe. I'd be replacing a wardrobe several times over at this rate!
I think that's been part of the issue - because I'm still in most of the same clothes. I had these clothes from my previous weight loss so maybe that's why I'm not "seeing" a difference so much.

Few people can afford a new wardrobe each time they get a size smaller, yet being able to see your success is a huge motivation to keep going. Thrift stores were my saviors during weight loss. I found I only needed a few new-to-me items at each new size - and talk about affordable! $5 pants, $2 blouses, etc. Thrift stores have plenty of actual new overstock donated from retailers too and unworn items from people who bought them on a mistaken impulse (been there, done that).
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 08:29
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I've just reached the weight I was back in 2010 (375 lbs). That is the weight I was when I started my prior attempt to lose weight. In that failed attempt, I lost 50 pounds before caving in and giving up. After all the success I've had with my current "lifestyle" change to LC eating - when I reached this milestone it was actually pretty sobering. I was actually a little depressed thinking that after all the weight I've lost, I've only managed to get back to where I was when my last attempt started. I was thinking to myself "If I only knew then what I know now...". But then it struck me... At least it know it now. My 2010 "diet" was doomed to fail because it was being executed the same way as all my previous failed attempts. That picked me up a little bit. So what if I'm at 375 again! I've got a workable plan in place now. All I can do is keep on doing what I'm doing and try to stay positive (which is not always easy). It is a long road. But I'm happier, healthier, and moving in the right direction.

BTW: I still wear some of the clothes I wore when I was at my max weight. I am still big enough to get away with it. I do feel much smaller in them and that helps. But yesterday, my daughter came home from college for the first time since I started losing weight. She told me the clothes I'm wearing need to go. They are just too baggy. So I guess it is time for some of these huge rags to go in the dumpster.

Last edited by khrussva : Wed, Jun-04-14 at 08:36.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 03:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Few people can afford a new wardrobe each time they get a size smaller, yet being able to see your success is a huge motivation to keep going. Thrift stores were my saviors during weight loss. I found I only needed a few new-to-me items at each new size - and talk about affordable! $5 pants, $2 blouses, etc. Thrift stores have plenty of actual new overstock donated from retailers too and unworn items from people who bought them on a mistaken impulse (been there, done that).

Yes I love thrift stores!! Every time I need a pick me up I know I can drop $20-$30 and come out with a lot of new clothes. It's a cycle because I donate all of my old clothes back to them. I actually love shopping now!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 20:33

BF:

Yeah, I still wear some of my 4x shirts because, well, I have to, because I don't have that many smaller shirts. They are noticeably big on me too though. My pants are baggy, but that's always been the case.

As several of you have already said, it truly is just as much a mental journey as it is physical. I feel skinnier some days and I do enjoy going and looking for "smaller" clothes, but of course that brings its own challenges because some things still don't quite fit yet and you still need a bigger size, etc. I don't know if other guys deal with this or not, but I do!

Don't mean to sound "ungrateful for my weight-loss at all - just a journey I suppose - down 2 more pounds as of today too though!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 21:32
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

You know you are big when pant sizes increase by 2 inches per size. There is not a size 51" and if that is what I am, the pants are going to be either too tight or too lose. I still have a pair of Levi 33" that I once fit - so I know they do 1" at a time at that size. I don't expect to ever fit those again (but never say never). I do have a pair of 38" Levi's that I should fit when I reach my goal weight. Between now and then, it is going to be lots of thrift store clothes.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-14, 19:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
You know you are big when pant sizes increase by 2 inches per size.

This is kind of a topic I saw in another thread - but one of my goals was to just be able to buy clothes in a "regular store" or in the "regular" section, not the big and tall. I want to be able to walk into any store and pick up a pair of pants and a shirt and be able to wear them! I think I'm there on pants I think I could find my size - shirts, I don't know that I"m ready for that 2x just yet and you can usually find those in the "regular" section!