Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-14, 12:14

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

My issues with cravings finally went away when I dialed down the protein and have my carbs every other meal. Kind of a modified CAD I suppose.

I think I have a very lively insulin response to both protein and carb, and then insulin goes down slowly. So when I had 3 meals a day and they each had generous protein, I bet my insulin was high all day and never got down very far. That's what it seems like in retrospect from the hunger.

Now I have my starch at breakfast and dinner and all that stuff is gone. I shoot for 60-70 g starch per day, 60-70 g protein (I'm short). Fat is up and down depending on if I remember to add extra.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-14, 13:51

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
My issues with cravings finally went away when I dialed down the protein and have my carbs every other meal. Kind of a modified CAD I suppose.

I think I have a very lively insulin response to both protein and carb, and then insulin goes down slowly. So when I had 3 meals a day and they each had generous protein, I bet my insulin was high all day and never got down very far. That's what it seems like in retrospect from the hunger.

Now I have my starch at breakfast and dinner and all that stuff is gone. I shoot for 60-70 g starch per day, 60-70 g protein (I'm short). Fat is up and down depending on if I remember to add extra.

Interesting. I drifted over from the thread aamama referenced (I think) - I too am experiencing a bit of physiological insulin resistance. Like seejay, i've cut back protein (from 90-100 to 60-70) and have much less hunger, particularly between lunch and dinner.

I'm consciously trying to raise starch and fiber a bit, having the equiv of half a small potato per day. No cravings. I'm away from home and have no idea of impact on scale. Will continue for another 5 days then check scale when I return home. Seejay's experience gives me hope that i can raise carbs slightly to experience better glucose readings without cravings.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-15, 06:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Popping in to say and find out how are you all doing?
Like most of those on here I guess I am semi lowcarb!
Following rules to the letter works for me; well yes!!! But Realisically there will always come a point when I want to rebel, and once that rebel takes over I'm lost in its power, all rational thinking gone .
So
1) I am not weighing, not saying never but not just now
2) I am making/eating food that I enjoy and fits in with my family situation
3) if I am really desperate for a particular food item, I will have it rather than stuff myself with lowcarb or low calorie replacements and then end up eating it anyway
Those are my own rules
However basically trying to stay low carb and watch protein like you mention above. Can't decide whether having it either makes me hungry or just doesn't satisfy! Have also upped the veg recently and although I was scared it would increase my hunger that doesn't seem to be happening. They are mainly greens though.
Because I'm not weighing and only been doing this for a month I don't know yet if I'm losing. If I am it's minimal. I think though that is probably best for me. It crept up quietly and I do wonder if the journey will be easier if I can get it to creep down slowly. I would love to be able to put something tight on and see a difference but the reality for me is accepting where I am now and really having the patience to keep on MY track and see what happens. The alternative is to eat with no control damaging my health as well as increasing weight or be really strict and inevitably cave.
I hope we continue to post on this forum and can support one another.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 09:29

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Right now I am out of control. I read so many things that I don't know which one to try to get back in the mode. First off, I think I will start tracking my food again and see just how many carbs and fat grams I am actually getting. I have a friend who was in the same boat and she starting adding some carbs, but only high fiber ones, and that's working for her. I have a hard time increasing carbs. It tends to lead to a binge. I also have a problem eating too much protein. My mind thinks that chicken is low fat and also carb free so I can eat more of it. I have to get my portions back in control.

Reading here helps me.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 09:49

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
Right now I am out of control. I read so many things that I don't know which one to try to get back in the mode. First off, I think I will start tracking my food again and see just how many carbs and fat grams I am actually getting. I have a friend who was in the same boat and she starting adding some carbs, but only high fiber ones, and that's working for her. I have a hard time increasing carbs. It tends to lead to a binge. I also have a problem eating too much protein. My mind thinks that chicken is low fat and also carb free so I can eat more of it. I have to get my portions back in control.

Reading here helps me.

It might help if you find one program that makes sense to you, seems like one you can live with, and then give it a no-cheats try for a month.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 09:55

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I do track my food but on most days I range between 35-60 net carbs so ... I am joining your group
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 10:08

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I definitely had the large portion thing going on. For protein and for everything. It took a few weeks to get it through my head and find smaller meals that were satisfying.

And, I tracked not just what I ate, but how it made me feel later, both physically and emotionally.
To the point where I would do head-to-toe checks between meals.
How was my mood; did I feel good or antsy, or hungry; weak or energized.
That was how I made the connections between meals and how my body responded to meals.

I know it sounds kind of, ahem, too attentive, but I was out of whack and disconnected. Not much worse than taking 3 antiobiotics a day if you have strep, is how I think of it now.

FYI, semi-low carb.... can be regular low carb. The people who are on 20 g per day are VLC - very low carb.

Low-carb ketogenic diet (LCKD): less than 50g carbs and 10% calories daily
Low-carb diet (LCD): 50-130g carbs daily and between 10-26% of calories
Moderate-carb diet (MCD): 130-225g carbs daily and between 26-45% of calories

That's from the suggested definitions of the Nutrition and Metabolism Society. Not that it makes any difference, just in case your brain is saying you're not really low carb if you have more than 20 g per day; not quite accurate.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 12:27

Quote:
FYI, semi-low carb.... can be regular low carb. The people who are on 20 g per day are VLC - very low carb.

Low-carb ketogenic diet (LCKD): less than 50g carbs and 10% calories daily
Low-carb diet (LCD): 50-130g carbs daily and between 10-26% of calories
Moderate-carb diet (MCD): 130-225g carbs daily and between 26-45% of calories

That's from the suggested definitions of the Nutrition and Metabolism Society. Not that it makes any difference, just in case your brain is saying you're not really low carb if you have more than 20 g per day; not quite accurate.

TY for posting this. I, incorrectly, have at times described my way of eating as moderate carb, it's not. It's truly low carb
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 20:23

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

Isn't that cool patricia
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugujo
Isn't that cool patricia

Yes it is. My doctors still don't quite believe what I'm doing. They talk about what self discipline I must have etc etc, and I just laugh. It's been a long tough learning journey to get it right for my body.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 08:56

Quote:

Seejay, this sounds a little like Trim Healthy Mama. Someone on another forum just started it and was telling me about it. Protein is at every meal or snack. Some meals have fat with them and some have carb with them, but no fat and carb at the same meal. You arrange the meals the way you want them...More protein and fat meals, or more protein and carb meals. The carb meals are still on the low carb side.

Patriciakr, low carb, but not VLC is my choice, but my biggest problem is like last night, when I got into the popcorn stash after my eating was supposed to be done for the day. I don't eat sweets and very little salty snack food, normally. I need to plan my food for the day and then stick to my plan.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 08:57

Quote:
Seejay, this sounds a little like Trim Healthy Mama. Someone on another forum just started it and was telling me about it. Protein is at every meal or snack. Some meals have fat with them and some have carb with them, but no fat and carb at the same meal. You arrange the meals the way you want them...More protein and fat meals, or more protein and carb meals. The carb meals are still on the low carb side.

Patriciakr, low carb, but not VLC is my choice, but my biggest problem is like last night, when I got into the popcorn stash after my eating was supposed to be done for the day. I don't eat sweets and very little salty snack food, normally. I need to plan my food for the day and then stick to my plan.

When I want salty and it's after I think I'm done for the day, I go for some Vlassic spicy garlic pickle stackers.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 09:09

Patricia, I just clicked on your blog and read a couple entries. You are a force to be reckoned with! It's in my bookmarks and I plan to go back and read more. Very well done!
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 09:21

Quote:
Patricia, I just clicked on your blog and read a couple entries. You are a force to be reckoned with! It's in my bookmarks and I plan to go back and read more. Very well done!

Thank you, that kind of comment/feedback means a great deal to me.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 09:46
Registered Member

Plan: 4 corners
Stats: 203/190/135 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress:

hi again , enjoy reading some new posts. I have been on abit of a stall the past 2 months after taking about one year losing around v40 pounds on Lutz's program. I no longer count anything, just know what to eat...it is my lifestyle now. I hope to eventually lose the last 20 pounds but since I am older, the pounds like to stay where they are, I feel good and keeping my health so I am satisfied...may cut back a little on carbs soon, to around 60 grams a day, and see if anything happens. enjoyed xmas, a few good treats, have to enjoy life and family; just try not to enjoy the FOOD as much as the family time..everyone hasve a good, healthy 2015!