Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 13:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Is that store-bought bacon? That stuff might actually be safer, when it comes to raw. Trichinosis comes from animals that eat carrion. According to wikipedia, most cases in North America these days come from people eating undercooked bear meat.

I'm actually wondering now, about the raw eggs. Most allergenic foods tend to have hard to digest proteins. I've read that digestion of raw eggs can be as low as fifty percent.

I've seen Dave Asprey claim that a very low carb diet caused him to develop an egg allergy. And mention here in a comment section of him eating lots of raw egg yolks through the day...

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podc...stine-peterson/

One more unsubstantiated claim very low carbers have to contend with. Oh noes, my immune system asploded.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 13:50

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I think too much of a good thing can be a bad thing including eggs. I don't think we are meant to eat a diet totally of eggs.

As for getting Trichinosis, the bacon is store bought and probably full of all kinds of nasty crap. I have never eaten my bacon fully cooked either. The hogs that we butcher are all how in the large pen with the heifers we are growing up. They did get animal products, from what we give them when we butchered our own chickens, rabbits and such. OTherwise they got table scaps, garden scraps and some kind of grain mix for them. Unfortunitely it has soy in it but I don't get to make all the rules. They also got what ever the heifers spilled onto the ground or dug out of their poo. The little bugers would eat anything! They even eat cooked chicken bones, gobbled them right down like it was nothing.

I don't know how an animal gets/carries Trichinosis but I dought very much if I'm going to have it in my grow out lot.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 14:07

BF:

Read up on Trichinosis because Teaser, you had me a little worried and thinking about it. Apparently it can be killed by freezing it for 3 months. I thought all parasites were killed in the freezer in 3 days but what ever, freezing killis it in most meats. The excpetion happens to be in bears, freezing does no good apparently.

Froom what I read, most cases of Trichinosis does out on its own. Very few are serious enough to require treatment, more to make the person confertable til it settles itself.

I will deffanitely freeze my pork!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 14:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Even with the bears, from what I saw, there's something like a dozen cases reported a year.

Feeding your pigs chicken and rabbit is probably fine. Unless your rabbits are carnivorous.

The more common food poisonings are unpleasant but not that dangerous, except for the vulnerable--very young very old.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 15:25

BF:

My rabbits arn't carnivouse but have you seen a chicken eat? LOL i've seen them go crazy trying to catch a mouse, they are better and meaner than cats. Give them an already dead new born bunny and its gone in a hurry. Still highly dought if my chickens would carry it but never know. We do freeze almost everything before its eaten though. Still, what are the chances of our home grown hogs getting it? I read its a higher percentage on small farms/urban dwellings, I'd guess because they are fed more than grain and given an assortment of feed. I know mine ate what ever we fed them. We tried to feed them coon carcous last fall but apparetnly they didn't like it I think at one time it was commen to feed hogs all offals and they probably roamed more and got into all kinds of dead things.

We ran to town and I got a package of mixed nuts. My tummy ache is now gone, timing. I wonder if my second tummy ache was from the 3 table spoons of mayo. I'm used to eating fat but that may have over done it with the tuna salad.

Oh, I almost forgot (I did actually) on the RAW Paleo forum they say not to eat raw chicken and that most people end up with food poisening from it. They actually say to not eat any animal product thats eaten/fed grain because the meat will have a higher percentage of bad bacteria. I don't buy all that but a lot of people report getting seriously sick after eating raw chicken. Since I raise my own chickens and butcher ourselves, I have good faith that mine would be healthy and the meat quality even though they were fed grain. News flash, chickens eat grains! (vent) they ran my yard ate grass but they were not an excited group, never actually ran, kinda waddle and not the energetic kind to be chasing bucks like my laying hens.

Last edited by sexym2 : Wed, May-21-14 at 15:31.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, May-23-14, 10:01

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
Oh, I am thawing a package of ground deer

I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly, but isn't there some sort of parasite issue with deer meat? Or maybe it's moose.

Quote:
Some one follow along and pick up my marbles as I eat raw meat please

I wonder what would happen is we ended up with each other's marbles?

Before I went LCHF, I used to crave raw meat. I could easily eat a pound of it at one sitting. But now, I don't crave it at all - I even like my meat well done. Which is weird; most of my adult life (and that's been many years!) I've been eating very rare meat.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-14, 01:49

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
There are a few of us that eat VLC or ZC but how many eat the meat/protien/fat raw? Just thinking about it lately, can't get past the yuck factor but I wanted to hear from others on this subject.

Who eats raw meat? Why?

Emagine how fast dinner would be if you didn't have to cook it

My youngest son (he is 24) knows I eat meat and eggs raw now and then. He has seen me do it. Grossed him out at first I think but now he never bats an eye. My oldest son has no idea. At least I don't think he does. Haha.

I've had a few of those 'fast' dinners from time to time.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-14, 02:47

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 288/256/200 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
I don't buy all that but a lot of people report getting seriously sick after eating raw chicken. Since I raise my own chickens and butcher ourselves, I have good faith that mine would be healthy and the meat quality even though they were fed grain.

Actually it's true, Salmonella is the first cause of alimentary infections in humans mostly from eggs but also from poultry meat not enough cooked.

This bacteria is a part of the normal flora of chicken and don't make them sick but it isn't true for us...

To come back to the subject I enjoy eating a good carpacio, a steak tartare or sashimi from time to time...
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-14, 03:48
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywood
I eat my beef and lamb blue. so it is raw. But with the outside seared to get rid of the grubby mitts of the meat handlers before me :-).

Given a choice I would be quite happy to eat it completely raw. But, I can not raise my own meat, and beef and lamb only make up a small (ok tiny) portion of my yearly meat consumption.

I would not eat raw chicken or pork, simply because it is battery farmed fed on rubbish and are prone to carry a lot of transferable micro-organisms.

When I get fresh fish, I like to prepare it in lemon juice or vinegar so I don't have to go through the cooking process, but again this is a rare treat for me :-).

Ditto everything you've said Jay, applies to me as well. I love Sashimi which is raw fresh fish, eaten it with wasabi mustard. I only sear the outside of my beef or lamb so that others around me aren't grossed out (it's cold on the inside) -- but I'd eat it raw otherwise. I've been doing this all my life.

I remember decades ago that my mom got a tape worm from eating raw pork. She couldn't figure out why she was losing all this weight (THIS IS NOT A WEIGHT LOSS RECOMMENDATION) she was a tiny woman, less than 100 lbs soaking wet and lost like 20 lbs in 2 month and the doctors couldn't figure out why. Finally the little guy made an appearance and she took it to the doctors in a mayo jar... it was like 15-18 inches long so she had it for some time. Creepy...
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-14, 11:08

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I noticed in the paper today that the Duchess of Cambridge is seriously thinking of a raw food diet at least one day a week

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...lim-figure.html
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-14, 10:05

BF:

I have not been sticking to the raw food thing. I am eating my meats with a whole lot of pink in them though and even bleeding in places.

I am concerned with the salmonella in my chicken even though I raise my own. My beef, deer and pork are all frozen and that should kill all parasites, so no issue there. But with family its just easier to cook mine the same lenth of time as their meats.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-14, 20:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/183/125 Female 5'4"
BF:31%
Progress: 28%
Smile Eating meat raw?

I can't eat my meat raw, but I do eat my beef extremely rare, bloody. Pork and hamburger meat pink. But chickens cook through, and sunny side eggs

Last edited by SuzLee01 : Wed, Jul-02-14 at 21:00. Reason: forgot a space
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 18:12

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I ate a raw paleo diet for 4-5 months one year. Mostly carnivorous aside from a small experiment with raw milk. I felt pretty fabulous and my energy was through the roof on 100% raw. It just got too expensive for me to maintain.

The convenience is really nice, and there is something very freeing about not having to put much thought into meals, it's a disconnect from food that I find difficult to achieve when I have to put time and effort into preparing meals.

I would love to go back to it, ideally we'll be raising the animals ourselves by then.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 18:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish
I ate a raw paleo diet for 4-5 months one year. Mostly carnivorous aside from a small experiment with raw milk. I felt pretty fabulous and my energy was through the roof on 100% raw. It just got too expensive for me to maintain.

The convenience is really nice, and there is something very freeing about not having to put much thought into meals, it's a disconnect from food that I find difficult to achieve when I have to put time and effort into preparing meals.

I would love to go back to it, ideally we'll be raising the animals ourselves by then.

I do like the idea of eating raw but I could only do it durring the day at lunch when I'm home alone. It grossed out my kids and BF told me "not infont of him," big baby. We've been eating a lot of pork lately, because we butchered 2 this spring I've been eating mine not completely cooked, that and I don't want the fat cooked off that piggie.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-14, 18:38

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Man, really fresh pork is so good. Very sweet, it was hard for me to pass it up when I was eating raw. We do eat our pork undercooked though, so I guess it isn't that much different. It would be awesome to raise Mangalitsa pigs for eating.