Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 19:19

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
He beat a dozen kids from all across the country.
So, PETA could only find 12 vegan kids in the entire country who entered?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Did he get any breast milk before becoming vegan at a few weeks old? His mother is overweight, he looks obese. His looks are average; the other contest entries must have been quite ugly vegans. That's a scary story!

"My Mom was vegan so that makes me a vegan too."
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 20:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The dietary recall of a seven year old may be biased towards certain foods. Ask a random seven year old what they eat--you may get a similar list, no matter what the usual diet is.

For all we know, this kid's omnivore great-grandparents could have been fat.

One problem with veganism is the assumption by many vegan gurus that the problem with the SAD is mainly meat consumption, drawing attention away from what most people here would think more obvious culprits--refined grains, sugars, polyunsaturated oils.

I don't know about vegan diets generally causing tooth decay--but have no doubt that some individual vegan diets can.

And a diet that's sufficient for one person may not be sufficient for another. This is as true for children as for adults.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 20:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Denise Minger, author of Death by Food Pyramid, is a recovering raw vegan. She had to have extensive dental work and it led to her adding animal products to her diet.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 20:51

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I loathe PETA.

The woman who runs it is a scam artist. For years, she kept herself alive with insulin from animals. Some principles!

If she's type 1 diabetic you can't exactly fault her for using insulin to stay alive before it could be synthesized.

Don't worry, though, there's plenty to fault her for!

My favorite is that when PETA is accused of being hypocrites by exploiting women in their quest to end the exploitation of animals, her response is always "I can't be sexist because I'm a woman!"

My bad, wonder why anyone would think that....(warning, links to images NSFW).

Or more recently "But wait! We do the same to men so that makes it okay."

I don't agree with them on veganism or on being anti-domestic pets, but I do on some things like circuses, zoos, and aquariums. They definitely have a point about reasons against captivity, but the way they go about it....ugh!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 21:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
If she's type 1 diabetic you can't exactly fault her for using insulin to stay alive before it could be synthesized.

I can fault her when she claims people shouldn't do that.

I may not agree with someone, but I can't stand hypocrisy!

But yeah, there's far more wrong with her.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 21:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
The dietary recall of a seven year old may be biased towards certain foods. Ask a random seven year old what they eat--you may get a similar list, no matter what the usual diet is.

For all we know, this kid's omnivore great-grandparents could have been fat.

One problem with veganism is the assumption by many vegan gurus that the problem with the SAD is mainly meat consumption, drawing attention away from what most people here would think more obvious culprits--refined grains, sugars, polyunsaturated oils.

I don't know about vegan diets generally causing tooth decay--but have no doubt that some individual vegan diets can.

And a diet that's sufficient for one person may not be sufficient for another. This is as true for children as for adults.

Well said.

Honestly, that's a pretty normal list of favorite foods for a child that age.
Mine would have actually included meat by coincidence because my favorite food was spaghetti bolognese, but mostly, yeah, I loved, and still to do be honest, love sweets.

I do get the point the OP is making, though, that this is being sold as such a healthy family because they're vegan when it's actually all junk food whether it has any dairy and animal fat in it or not.

As for the dental issue, I do honestly think that good genes make the difference. It's the only way I can explain myself. I'm 27 and have never had a cavity.
Yes, I'm low carb now, but I wasn't always. As I said, I do love sweets...or, rather I'm addicted to them.
Nor have I had super dental hygiene my whole life. Lets face it, no 12 year old likes to floss!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-14, 21:09

BF:

Quote:
I can fault her when she claims people shouldn't do that.

Please tell me you're kidding?
She's pushed for the use of yeast derived insulin now that the technology is available, but surely she never said that people should risk their health, nay their life, by not using insulin because it's taken from animals?
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-14, 05:55

BF:

Here's a discussion taken from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3...lin#Insulin_Use

Quote:
Is there a reason the animal testing section doesn't contain a reference to MaryBeth Sweetland's insulin-dependence? There's an article here http://www.goveg.com/diabetes_controlled.asp written by her downplaying her use of animal-based insulins which might prove a good reasonably un-biased quote (all the links to quotes I could find from her were all inflammatory and on anti-PETA sites). Given PETA's stated policies on animal testing, this seems like a pretty important fact, because without animal-harvested and animal-tested insulins, she'd would have died at age 25 when she became insulin-dependent.

Actually I just re-read the article, and right after the quote from Newkirk about them opposing a cure for AIDS based on animal testing would be the perfect place for it. Max.inglis (talk) 17:21, 12 December 2007 (UTC)

Not in the main article because PETA swarms online mentions about them and "corrects" them.

But while I am an animal rights person, I still loathe PETA because their whole attitude stinks. They would let every dog and cat die in shelters because "animals shouldn't be slaves."

Trust me, my husband and I have 4 rescue cats. Nobody's a slave.

They take credit for other organization's work, too. There was a British group who conceived and carried out the pressure campaign that resulted in McDonald's opting for more humanely raised beef. But PETA took the credit.

Personally, I'm very upset that PETA is setting the pace for a lot of animal rights work. Mention that veganism is bad for humans and lethal for cats? Like I did last year on my cat advice blog? There will be a lot of screaming and criticism, even though a majority of my readers, animals lovers all, agreed with me. Nonetheless, I took down the post.

And just mention them to anyone who works or volunteers in animal rescue. Then step back, because their eyes will shoot fire. Despite constant fundraising "for the animals" PETA has never given a dime to any shelter I know of. Because it's perfectly fine with them if every domestic animal on the face of the earth dies a horrible death. And some of them will tell you that. That is their (un)stated philosophy.

Which is why they aren't actually interested in humane treatment on farms. They don't want animals raised for food at all.

PETA is very good at what they do. Which is getting publicity, getting money, and perpetuating their death cult.

In fact, they actually harm animals.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-14, 06:37
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Anyone who thinks a cat could ever be a slave, has obviously never had cats - if anything it's the other way around. Our home is taken over by cat trees and toys. Our cats will actually demand that we play with them with the wand toys when they want entertainment. They demand to go in and out when they want to. Yesterday, a cushion had been left on the chair that one of my cats likes to sleep on, but she didn't want the cushion on there and meowed at me to remove it, then when I complied, jumped on to the chair and went to sleep.

My cats are not slaves, we are their slaves!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-14, 07:02

BF:

Just when I thought I couldn't feel any more contempt for PETA.

I'm kind of a contradiction, I have a rescue cat and I'm a grad student who works with mice, and I tell you that, yeah, some of the stuff scientists have to do to them is f-cking awful but it's not because we enjoy hurting animals, it's to find cures for diseases that are just as awful. Like AIDS, septicemia, or, in my case, alcoholism.

And, yeah, the vegan cat issue really disgusted me. Forcing a cat to live on lentils and potatoes is as barbaric as forcing a cow to live on bone meal.

leemack,
Ain't that the truth! My cat is a demanding little pain in the neck. She loves chewing up cardboard, so I give to her to play with so that she won't bug me. She rips off pieces and spits them on the floor, and has a great time doing it...then guess who ends up cleaning up the pile of cardboard shreddings while she naps or pigs out on expensive grain-free food?
Who sounds like the slave in that scenario?
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-14, 07:14
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
Just when I thought I couldn't feel any more contempt for PETA.

I'm kind of a contradiction, I have a rescue cat and I'm a grad student who works with mice, and I tell you that, yeah, some of the stuff scientists have to do to them is f-cking awful but it's not because we enjoy hurting animals, it's to find cures for diseases that are just as awful. Like AIDS, septicemia, or, in my case, alcoholism.

And, yeah, the vegan cat issue really disgusted me. Forcing a cat to live on lentils and potatoes is as barbaric as forcing a cow to live on bone meal.

leemack,
Ain't that the truth! My cat is a demanding little pain in the neck. She loves chewing up cardboard, so I give to her to play with so that she won't bug me. She rips off pieces and spits them on the floor, and has a great time doing it...then guess who ends up cleaning up the pile of cardboard shreddings while she naps or pigs out on expensive grain-free food?
Who sounds like the slave in that scenario?

Yeah, what is it with the cardboard thing? My tortie does that too, leave a cardboard box out for more than 5 minutes and it'll have teeth marks or chunks torn out of it. She's very good at it too - when the box of (100% meat) cat treats arrive, if we don't unpack it and put the treats away, she'll rip her way into it....and then bring us a bag of treats to open and give her some. They drive me nuts, but I love 'em to bits, the scamps.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-14, 09:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I feel a sense of relief that PETA chose an obviously unhealthy child as their poster child. Yes, he's cute, but I was expecting a pageant-ready little made-up doll when I clicked the link. Thanks for making your publicity not-so-good, PETA.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-14, 09:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Yeah, what is it with the cardboard thing? My tortie does that too, leave a cardboard box out for more than 5 minutes and it'll have teeth marks or chunks torn out of it. She's very good at it too - when the box of (100% meat) cat treats arrive, if we don't unpack it and put the treats away, she'll rip her way into it....and then bring us a bag of treats to open and give her some. They drive me nuts, but I love 'em to bits, the scamps.

Our tortie has to "mark" each box by die-stamping the edges with her teeth. Then she beams up at us. Look what I did!

And we say, "Thank you, Punkin." Because what are you going to do? They are headed for recycling anyway. Sometimes we let them lie around for a few days so Tristan can play Fort.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-14, 09:44
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Our tortie has to "mark" each box by die-stamping the edges with her teeth. Then she beams up at us. Look what I did!

And we say, "Thank you, Punkin." Because what are you going to do? They are headed for recycling anyway. Sometimes we let them lie around for a few days so Tristan can play Fort.

Husband went to throw out a cardboard box the other day, and there was a cat asleep inside - he'd managed to get in while pulling the box flaps together, behind him. They love their cardboard boxes