Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-14, 00:20
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolissa
That is good news! I'm struggling with my doc about my TSH levels. I feel good but the TSH was so low that he is concerned and wants to drop my dosage. The other problem is that now my insurance will not cover Armour Thyroid and the prescription has gone from $20 to $133! Dam!

There was a recent push to make synthroid and the like the "standard of care" for thyroid patients. I don't understand how a synthetic hormone can be considered superior to a natural replacement.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-14, 09:51

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I know right?! Very frustrating! I hope the next time I see him I will have lost enough weight to make a lower dose possible, but maybe it doesn't work like that? Anyhow, I hope your doctor will let you stick with what works for you.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-14, 06:08

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

It WAS taking me a long time to regain health with Hashimoto's...but I had a doctor who would only do a TSH. THEN I found 'my doctor good'...he didn't DO TSH AT ALL...he does Free T4 and Free T3. I'm great if I let the FT4 be in 'natural for most humans' range (that would be about HALF the range, whereas docs who test TSH don't know that, and docs that usually ONLY have given Synthetic T4 think it should be HIGH in range..it should NOT BE) and my FT3 be about 3/4 of it's range or slightly higher.

I'm doing GREAT now...I'm about 15 years out from being replaced...about six months after I started taking Armour...that's when I also started low carb and now have moved to ketogenic to maintain. I lost a bit of weight.

Hormone doesn't go by 'weight'...see my stats? I'm taking 3 grains a day...the same as when I weighed over 200 lbs.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-14, 13:06

My last test was:

TSH - 0.04 range of 0.35 to 4.01
Free T3 - 3.1 range of 2.5 to 3.9 (this should be higher?)
Free T4 - 0.68 range of 0.61 to 1.37 (this also should be higher?)

But I am feeling good, have energy back, and not cold all the time, so I really don't want to go backwards. He hasn't changed the prescription yet because I get it filled for the whole year, so that I don't have to go back every 3 months.

He wants another blood test in 3 months though, any suggestions? (I tried not taking any the day of my test, but it didn't make any difference TSH still very low)
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-14, 05:44

BF:

mojolissa...it depends on how you 'feel'. Your FT3 is good BUT...depends on when you took your T3 and when they tested.

My TSH started OUT at .22...but I didn't have any in range FT3..it was under and my FT4 was only one point in range. So, you can see how TSH isn't a reliable factor in determining titration of meds. The instructions to doctor on T3 (both natural AND synthetic) say that TSH should NOT be used to titrate meds.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-14, 22:35

I told him that I was feeling good and wanted to continue taking the dose I am on now the last time I saw him. He agreed but this time, he wants to lower??? idk why, but I will tell him again that I feel good on this dose.

This is how I put it: "I feel good on armour thyroid at this dose. Will you please work with me?"

I really appreciate your advice Neanderpam.
I will definitely try to tell him that I don't want to be dosed by TSH, but you know doctors don't like to be told they're wrong about anything.

Last edited by mojolissa : Sun, Nov-09-14 at 22:54.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-14, 15:46
Carnivore

BF:

Mojolissa, are you taking your thyroid meds the before they do your blood draw? You may find that waiting until after they draw will give a better representation of your numbers. (This is why I schedule early morning appts.)
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 07:40

Yes, I have tried not taking any meds the day of the appt, I have even tried not taking any a couple of days before the blood draw.

Doesn't seem to make a difference. Still very low TSH, either .04 or .05 every time for the last two years.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-14, 21:37

Tried lowering my dose and my feet are FREEZING!!! Going back to my previous amount right now! Doc will have to get over it.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 00:31

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

My doctor called with my test results and my TSH is .001 she thinks I'm hyper, I'm not. I'm only on 2 grains and she wants to go down to 1 1/2 even though my free t3 and t4 were good.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 00:46

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Does Magnesium help? If it does, you might like to know that the highest levels of it in any food are in pumpkin seeds. I eat them regularly and it makes me very regular in the elimination area. I was taking the supplements and decided to look up what foods I could eat to get it naturally and voila it was pumpkin seeds. I eat 1/2 a personal bag size-2.25oz in the shell every day which is 1g carb.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 00:52

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChice
Unfortunately my symptoms aren't gone yet. We're still working that part out. My current dosage is 120mcg armour + 50 levothyroxin.

Have you read Stop the thyroid madness, if not you should. On facebook there's a group ''FTPO for thyroid patients only'' that is great. I think you should check it out. I found out on there that one the worst thing you can do is add levo to armour.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 09:21

I'm on 2 1/2 grains right now and he wants me to go down to 2 grains.
Yes, I agree about the "stop the thyroid madness" site. Do check it out, it has alot of useful information.
I learned that I should split my dose and take it first thing in the morning and then late afternoon. Also, to not take any armour on the day of blood testing, (but that didn't work very well in my case)it may work for you though.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-14, 21:25
Carnivore

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie328
Have you read Stop the thyroid madness, if not you should. On facebook there's a group ''FTPO for thyroid patients only'' that is great. I think you should check it out. I found out on there that one the worst thing you can do is add levo to armour.

Really? We found that adding the extra bump of T4 to my combo is part of what is working for me. My T3 levels tend to run on the higher end, so my body is using what it can get, as fast as it can get it. The bump that Levo is giving me seems to be working right now.
I have checked out STTM and learned a lot. One of the biggest lessons is that autoimmune disorders hit every person differently.

Can you explain why adding synthetic T4 to armour is supposed to be bad?

Last edited by TChice : Fri, Nov-21-14 at 21:45.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-14, 06:30

BF:

I think what dmarie328 is referring to is there are a LOT of doctors who will add synthetic T4 instead of increasing T3 when it should be increased. And in order to know if your T3 is 'on the high end' you'd have a doctor who does Free T3 testing (not just total T3) in order to gauge. Yes, you're right, whatever works for each individual, but even the PDR says no doctor should increase or decrease hormone using JUST THE TSH... TSH doesn't denote 'hyper'..symptoms and a FT3 and FT4 OVER RANGE.