Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-13, 07:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
When I was in college I worked in a nursing home in an Alzheimer's ward. NO WAY to spend the end years of your life.

I hope Grain Brain and Wheat Belly are the one-two punch that really rocks the world's head.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-13, 08:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Well not yet. Shape Magazine, presents other expert opinions, but did ask for comments.

http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-yo...use-alzheimer’s

Quote:
Imagine a piece of whole-grain toast slathered in butter— which part of that do you consider to be healthy? For many years the answer has been the whole-grain bread, but Grain Brain, a new book published this past Tuesday by neurologist David Perlmutter, M.D., argues that we'd all be better off chucking the bread and just eating a stick of butter for breakfast.

Perlmutter says that contrary to popular belief, while we definitely require protein and fat, "the human requirement for dietary carbohydrate is none, none whatsoever." Not only do we not need them, he says that they're killing us, calling carbs "the brain's silent killers."

The book is based on his years of extensive research and private practice as a neurologist in Florida. After years of frustration trying to help patients with all types of cognitive impairments, he finally came to the conclusion that modern medicine tends to focus on treating symptoms, not the underlying disease process. So rather than focus simply on treating Alzheimer's, autism, and other diseases, he came up with a radical diet based on lots of fats, some protein, and almost no carbohydrates to try to prevent the onset of these illness.

Much of Perlmutter's book focuses on the way he says the human body evolved to eat. "The brain thrives on a fat-rich, low-carbohydrate diet, which unfortunately is relatively uncommon in human populations today," he says. As evidence, he points out how many people struggle with celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity today—up to 30 percent of the population, according to his research. He adds that it is likely that 100 percent of humans have some reaction to gluten because a compound called zonulin is activated when exposed to gluten, and this increases gut permeability. In turn, increased gut permeability can cause all kinds of health issues ranging from mild inflammation to debilitating digestive disorders to autoimmune problems to dementia, he says.

RELATED: The 11 Best Foods for Your Brain

Many experts disagree with Perlmutter, however. "Grain Brain is a misleading and sensationalist title for a book that distorts current science and contributes, sadly, to public confusion about what constitutes a healthy diet,” says Cynthia Harriman, director of food and nutrition strategies for the Whole Grains Council. She challenges Perlmutter's numbers, saying that it's closer to 7 to 10 percent of the population with a known gluten intolerance, and even these people can safely and healthfully eat non-gluten-containing grains such as amaranth, buckwheat, corn, and oats (as long as they're certified gluten-free). For the rest of us, “leading medical researchers in the area of gluten intolerance and celiac disease attest that there is no need for 90 percent or more of our population to avoid any grains," Harriman says.

Another one of Perlmutter's contentions is that increased carb consumption is linked to diabetes and becoming a diabetic will double your risk for Alzheimer’s disease, for which there is no treatment. "Elevated blood sugar attaches to proteins in the body, and this process dramatically increases the production of both free radicals and chemicals involved in inflammation. Both of these are strongly involved in damaging the brain in Alzheimer’s as well as Parkinson’s and multiple sclerosis," he says.

While the link between diabetes and cognitive impairment is well documented, the link between grains and cognition may be more complicated, says David R. Jacobs, Ph.D., a professor of nutritional epidemiology at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. In a 2010 study, he examined 29,192 women over the age of 50 and found that whole-grain intake (as reported on a food frequency questionnaire) increased the women's ability to complete a follow-up questionnaire about their health. He also found that elderly women who ate more whole grains had less "frailty," although since the study wasn't specifically examining that, he says it needs more research.

RELATED: Everything You Need to Know About Going Gluten-Free

Jacobs adds that focusing on just one isolated part of a grain—like gluten—misses the bigger picture of "the synergistic effect of the individual constituents within the whole grains,” noting that whole grains contain fiber, antioxidants, phytochemicals, and other compounds that are thought to act together to provide protective health benefits. "Whole grains generally are part of a healthy diet," Jacobs concludes.

However, Harriman points out that other than Perlmutter's mistake of generalizing the problems of gluten intolerance to the population as a whole, there is much in the book she finds worthwhile, such as the key roles of physical activity and sleep, the essential contribution of good fats, the value of the Mediterranean Diet (which Perlmutter cites as “very similar to my dietary protocol”), and the importance of avoiding inflammation and choosing carbohydrates with a low glycemic impact. "Don’t let Grain Brain scare you away from appropriate-sized portions of healthy forms of whole grains, and enjoy a balanced diet including a delicious variety of real, whole foods," she advises.

Perlmutter says that if there is one thing he wishes he could teach all medical professionals, it's that "nutrition matters more than you could imagine. Time to hit the books and realize that food is our most important health ally." Which is a statement most experts could probably agree with.

What do you think? Tell us your thoughts on Grain Brain in the comments below or ~Shape_Magazine.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-13, 09:25

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Director of food and nutrition strategies for the Whole Grains Council disagrees with him. Astonishing.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-13, 10:41

BF:

Quote:
Perlmutter says that contrary to popular belief, while we definitely require protein and fat, "the human requirement for dietary carbohydrate is none, none whatsoever."

I love to tell people this. They freak out!

And it's true. There are people with a genetic defect that does not allow them to break down carbohydrate. That's all that's wrong with them!

So, while an infant, they are put on a zero carb diet and they grow up fine!

They might come out better than we do, come to think of it.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-13, 03:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
The Director of food and nutrition strategies for the Whole Grains Council disagrees with him. Astonishing.

The DailyBeast gets it:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...lzheimer-s.html
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-13, 07:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Because Dr. Perlmutter wrote the article:

Quote:
The fundamental operating system underlying the practice of medicine in America today seems myopically focused on treating our ills with highly profitable remedies directed at symptom management while causality is ignored. Preventing disease is derogated, and relegated to the province of alternative modalities. Watching our elected leaders debate the merits of funding the ever-changing iterations of a health-care plan designed to treat illnesses presents a poignant irony, as it has little to do with health and everything to do with illness. But it has become clear that both sides of the aisle enthusiastically agree that Americans must have access to their pills, and lots of them.

symptom management

Precisely. We are in the midst of a Slow Motion Epidemic.

One of the first things I discovered while exploring low carb was Syndrome X, metabolic syndrome, and how it led to diabetes AND heart disease AND strokes. Now, we know we can add Alzheimer's AND Parkinson's, AND Attention Deficit AND depression. If these are caused, as we know now, by much too much carbohydrate in the diet, then it cannot be fixed by pills, and it can barely be managed with them.

But we can eat least rip the covers off the lie that these are mysterious diseases and we are doing the best we can. The lie that we should continue to eat more whole grains, more sugar, and less fat. The lie that people, confronted with a choice between pills and diet, will not make the needed lifestyle changes.

I think that much of the time people choose the pills because they don't believe the diet. Because if they do believe it; they will usually make those changes.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-13, 08:45

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
But we can eat least rip the covers off the lie that these are mysterious diseases and we are doing the best we can. The lie that we should continue to eat more whole grains, more sugar, and less fat. The lie that people, confronted with a choice between pills and diet, will not make the needed lifestyle changes.

I think that much of the time people choose the pills because they don't believe the diet. Because if they do believe it; they will usually make those changes.

I couldn't agree more! People WANT to do the right thing for their health and the health of those they love. But most people are basically gullible - otherwise con artists and the advertising industry couldn't flourish. People believe what they are told from what they perceive as a trustworthy source - the medical profession, their government, nutritionists, etc. When these trusted sources do not refute the constant bombardment of advertising brainwashing that wholegrains are healthy, of course most people will doubt anyone who says "throw away the carbohydrates along with the pills and most of your illnesses will disappear"! Covering up the lies you mentioned really borders on a criminal act in my opinion. It can be likened to slow, disease-induced, impairment and eventual death on a massive scale, perpetrated over several generations.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-13, 11:10

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 233/183/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Re Fat is bad - "say a lie often enough and people will believe it is true".

"But the most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly and with unflagging attention. It must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over. Here, as so often in this world, persistence is the first and most important requirement for success." Adolf Hitler.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-13, 18:41
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

This is your brain on grains -- LOL
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-13, 05:18

BF:

The fascinating thing is that Dr. Davis (Wheat Belly) and Dr. Perlmutter (Grain Brain) started out targeting wheat because of its very high glycemic index.

The other ill-effects came as something of a surprise to both of them.

I was reading Dr. Davis before his book came out... he opened my eyes to "it might be wheat" and so when I noticed a small symptom I didn't brush it away. I went off gluten COMPLETELY to see what would happen, even though I was hardly eating any, being fairly conscientious on low carb.

Only then did my appetite stabilize (I was successful on IF afterwards) and my rosacea calmed down further and most amazingly, my thumbs stopped waking me up in the middle of the night with pain.

So I remind people you can't just cut down. It has to be total. Because I was 99% there and still didn't get the benefits.

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Sep-25-13 at 05:26.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-13, 08:06

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

That's right. A tiny amount makes a huge difference. Not necessarily for all the symptoms related to inflammation, but for hunger it does. Hunger is regulated by hormones, and a tiny amount of those hormones is all that's needed. It's the same thing for wheat. In bodybuilding, they use peptides derived from ghrelin to stimulate growth hormone production. Some of them have a significant effect on hunger, so you eat more. The dose? 100mcg. That's 1/10,000 of a gram. Maybe wheat needs a bit more than 100mcg for the same effect amplitude, but it's the same scale.

This probably answers why we see so many processed food with a bit of wheat in them.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-13, 19:00

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

The surprising thing is that Dr. Perlmutter does not seem to feel that gluten needs to be eliminated entirely.

On page 242 he writes: "I don't expect you to never eat another slice of crusty pizza or stack of steaming hot pancakes again......" And he goes on to encourage readers to strive for an 80/20 or 90/10 approach to healthy food choices.

This struck me as somewhat odd, especially considering that he writes about the addictive properties of sugar and carbs. Especially gluten.

To me this does not negate the basic message of his book. I have never had a carb "addiction" issue. And I don't have any noticeable gluten sensitivities. I was honestly just plain surprised to find this in the conclusion part of his book, without any kind of caveat regarding people with such things.

Last edited by shannone10 : Thu, Sep-26-13 at 20:05.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-13, 04:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannone10
The surprising thing is that Dr. Perlmutter does not seem to feel that gluten needs to be eliminated entirely.

On page 242 he writes: "I don't expect you to never eat another slice of crusty pizza or stack of steaming hot pancakes again......" And he goes on to encourage readers to strive for an 80/20 or 90/10 approach to healthy food choices.

I haven't gotten that far yet. I wonder if he's trying to head off The Freakout... telling people they will never have pancakes again is a very far bridge.

I'm totally cool with never having pancakes again, but then I know how much that decision does for me. The guy whose limbs never stopped moving? In the same, but much bigger, boat. Folks who know the benefits have zero problems with the trade-offs.

People grasping that pancakes can kill them and destroy their brain?

It sounds too crazy to be true. That's what Dr. Perlmutter is up against.

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Sep-27-13 at 04:54.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-13, 08:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh man, I really hate it when people write books like that. I think that's what Dr. Agatston did and it always rankled with me.

Well, I'm going to scratch that book off my reading list.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-13, 08:30

Plan: LowCarb/Metformin/IF
Stats: 230/190/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Science and Popular Publications

I want REAL science. I peer-review scientific article submissions, so I admit my standards are high. But I wish I could stand behind Dr. Perlmutter 99 & 44/100 % instead of rejecting another well-intentioned publication pending major revision.