Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: paleo and ketogenic
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Location

Any one think certain places are healthier than others ?? I am thinking of moving to east or west coast but. Not sure which one! Ugh. I need to be somewhere with Healthy people in general. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 12:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you wish to judge by lower obesity rates, it use to be Colorado.
But crappy food is everywhere and no state is untouched:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._over_time.html

You would think areas with more sun and warmth would mean more good healthy outdoor living but the South and Texas negate that idea. Interesting question...good luck finding the healthy people.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 13:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Vermont maybe? What about Hawaii or Alaska?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 14:07
Registered Member

BF:

Agreed with the south. I did live in Colorado but boulder was the healthiest, still people ate tons of not healthy foods. Yay!!! Hawaii would be amazing. I grew up in ny right near Vermont not my speed. I think ca might have more options and a faster way of life then the Midwest for sure. East is ok but I leaning more towards the west. I will be a professor so I guess it will depend on teaching opportunities.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238.0/238.0/170 Female 5"3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Choose somewhere there isn't a severe winter. That way you can get outside all times of the year.

Oregon was great for me for several years, although the rain was tiresome at times.

Caroxx
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 15:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroxx
Choose somewhere there isn't a severe winter. That way you can get outside all times of the year.

Oregon was great for me for several years, although the rain was tiresome at times.

Caroxx

Yup, for sure. I need no more winters...Oregon was nice, but I agree with the rain. Plus, I still didn't feel real comfy when I went to visit.

I thought about Atlanta, but I think that might be too hot for me.

Thanks for your thoughts. It can be exciting, but also overwhelming when I could go anywhere.

I have lived in so many places by myself that I am adaptable. However, I do think having a location that fits my lifestyle will make my life more fulfilled. Does that sound ridiculous?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 17:15

Since you have paleo as your plan, there are also areas where people seem more attuned to "real food". CA and the PNW are popular with Paleo bloggers, but the RDU area in NC has a strong locavore movement, with a Carolina Farm Stewardship program. (didn't we ”discuss” the farmers markets before?)

Having three large universities in the area fuels the demand for sustainable farms, organic foods and active outdoor lifestyles...likely to happen anywhere with a well educated, young academic/professional population. Ithaca? Austin?Bloomington? Have you read Straight Man by Richard Russo?...that's the type of town you do not want to end up in

Rather than east or west, possibly start with mountains, beach, or desert living environments, plus a large enough population center to provide the social, cultural and recreation opportunities you want. NC and CA both have the advantage of mountains AND beach nearby.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-23-13 at 05:02.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-13, 14:09

Fascinating...a List of Healthy Towns just landed in my inbox!

The local business newspaper wrote that RDU was #6 in the nation on a Health and Wealth metric....and here is the report that comes from:

http://www.realtytrac.com/content/f...and-wealth-7843

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-h...-040100647.html

Not one answer because this list is then melded to the Wealth and Housing portion of the proprietary model...but you can see the raw health numbers for the top ones...including Austin

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Aug-24-13 at 02:46.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-13, 16:43

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove
Agreed with the south. I did live in Colorado but boulder was the healthiest, still people ate tons of not healthy foods. Yay!!! Hawaii would be amazing. I grew up in ny right near Vermont not my speed. I think ca might have more options and a faster way of life then the Midwest for sure. East is ok but I leaning more towards the west. I will be a professor so I guess it will depend on teaching opportunities.

In Hawaii everything that is not found on the island is expensive. Everything from 2x4's to almonds. Fresh fruit even more so.

Go to a young place. Even outside of DC would be okay. Asheville or Austin for instance.

Professor of what? Where are you now?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 07:41
Registered Member

BF:

Ty. I am ins doctoral program at UW Madison for rehab psychology
I obtained my masters from unc chapel hill and it was pretty healthy in the Research triangle. However, I rber saying I need to be somewhere without so much humidity but then moved to co and it was so dry. I am very adaptable because after one year at both places I was fine. I know I have to be happy with who I am as a person but I really do think the environment plays a role in our happiness!!! I love the ocean but could care less to lay on beach, I just like being near water but mountains are awese as well. Ty so much for helping me to figure this out. A friend of mine told me my astrolines do not fit well in ca but everytime I went to San Diego I loved it. However I was on vacation and I just would be concerned that it would be too laid back for me??? I guess I would find my balance right?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 09:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

What does "too laid back" mean?

Isn't it kind of a personal choice how driven you want to be? I know (far too many) people in San Diego that are workaholics. We've got 3.14 million people in San Diego county. You can find just about any sort of lifestyle you're looking for here, as long as you don't mind driving a ways (for rural-ish).

We've got a lot of biotech, healthcare here in San Diego because UCSD is a very good school for those degrees.

I'd look at housing prices before coming out though. It might be a bit of a sticker shock.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 15:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
What does "too laid back" mean?

Isn't it kind of a personal choice how driven you want to be? I know (far too many) people in San Diego that are workaholics. We've got 3.14 million people in San Diego county. You can find just about any sort of lifestyle you're looking for here, as long as you don't mind driving a ways (for rural-ish).

We've got a lot of biotech, healthcare here in San Diego because UCSD is a very good school for those degrees.

I'd look at housing prices before coming out though. It might be a bit of a sticker shock.

Well, I can agree, when I was there, I did not feel like people were laid back at all. However, lots of people I talk to claim that San Diego is a vacation spot. Nice reframe, thank you. I guess you can be whatever you want anywhere you go if you are focused on being yourself. I have a hard work ethic and I do hear wonderful things about SDSU and UCSD.

I would never buy a house, a one bedroom would suit me just fine. It is just me!! and 2 plants
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 17:20

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yep, I agree with Nancy, I live in Santa Barbara. Hey, we have a UCSB here!! And lots of LA actors.... (and tons of regular people like me, lol)

Most everyone here is skinny, cause it is to darned expensive live here to eat!!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-13, 04:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky

Most everyone here is skinny, cause it is to darned expensive live here to eat!!!

That is why when you take the Health indexes in the Yahoo Finace article and then MERGE it with the Wealth indexes using jobs and housing costs, the TOP markets are mostly in the middle of the country...Fargo, Souix Falls, Fayetteville AK, Provo UT!! Surprisingly, San Diego was not the thinnest place, but the Stamford, CT MSA (I lived in Greenwich once, they can't afford to eat either )
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-13, 06:37

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove
I guess you can be whatever you want anywhere you go if you are focused on being yourself.

Bingo.

I'm surprised Western NC doesn't appeal to you more.