Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 13:54

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by akman
RS is an important factor in feeding gut bacteria and linked to improved colon health and glucose, cholesterol, and triglyceride regulation.
RS isn't about weightloss or fad dieting. It's about colon health and related benefits.

This is from your original post. Let's see where we are in the discussion.

- Colon Health

We've addressed colon health, the benefit is hypothetical, and not preventive but therapeutic after-the-fact. A real therapy can be had from low-carb without regard for RS or gut flora.

- Glucose (I assume you mean blood glucose?)

This is a low-carb forum, and the entire forum is dedicated to dietary carbohydrates and their effects on health, including blood glucose. We know pretty much everything there is to know about blood glucose, and it's got very little to do with RS or gut flora. If it does, then it does so through its effects on the hormones that regulate BG, i.e. insulin. Low-carb does this directly.

- Cholesterol

I will assume that you imply that cholesterol is involved in health, primarily through atherosclerosis, i.e. heat disease. We have tons of discussions on cholesterol and heart disease, and the consensus is that cholesterol is beneficial, and heart disease is caused by something else, if indeed it is a disease at all (some of us, myself for example, see heart disease as merely a consequence of some other aggressor, like a scar that's left after your skin healed following a cut). Low-carb restores normal cholesterol metabolism in most cases.

- Triglyceride Regulation

This is done primarily through insulin, and other factors like fructose with fatty liver for example. Nothing to do with RS or gut flora, though it's possible that some gut flora have an effect on hormones, including insulin, and then ultimately triglyceride regulation. Low-carb addresses this too.

- Weight Loss or Fad Dieting

You said that RS and gut flora has nothing to do with this. The reality is that if RS and gut flora have the potential to disrupt the hormones that regulate biological functions, including fat tissue (i.e. insulin), then weight loss is indeed a factor of RS and gut flora. You also admit that you've gained weight since you tried RS in various forms. This suggests that RS is actually detrimental to weight loss efforts. Considering that every hypothetical benefits claimed for RS can be had - in fact - through low-carb, and considering that a main point of low-carb is weight loss, it seems absurd that anybody would see any benefit to RS. And this is where Fad Dieting takes all its meaning. I can only conclude that RS is indeed a fad diet with no real benefit.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 14:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...70619173537.htm

A few years old (2007), but still...

And this is my point--exactly. A low carb diet, with virtually no fiber, may help you control hunger and lose weight, but it is done at the expense of gut flora, and the fat they produce--kind of ironic, huh?

This cycle can be broken, and you can remain in ketosis if you desire by eating potato or tapioca starch.

It still has to be established that there's any sort of a "cycle"--as in a downward-spiralling one, detrimental to health and metabolism, I think you mean, going on. Certainly things are different on a low carb diet so far as gut bacteria go. Whether they're better or worse, regardless of what's happening with butyric acid, still needs to be shown. Until we really know what's going on, you place your bets, you take your chances.

Gut bacteria are important, there's no doubt of that. Does healthy gut bacteria look the same in a healthy traditional Inuit as in a traditional Kitivan? Clearly not.
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 240/175/190 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
This is from your original post. Let's see where we are in the discussion.

You are good--damn you!

I guess at this point, all I could do would be to link and quote from a bunch of studies to counter these arguments...but then you'd find the words 'may' or 'possibly' in them and we'd be back to square one.

I'll counter, instead, with personal observations. I did the low carb, very low carb, mostly meat, ketogenic stuff. I did the hell out of it. I used to resent anyone that said it wasn't optimal and read all about the Inuit (who are my neighbors here in Alaska, by the way).

When I started this journey--I was broke. 250 pounds. Fatty liver disease, pre-diabetic, gout, high everything. Low carb turned all that around. For that I am forever thankful.

However, somewhere in my journey to better health, sustainability and longevity came into my scope. Being a 160 pound weakling wasn't the dream of my future. I was sleeping poorly--waking every night at 3am, and had pre-diabetic levels of fasting blood glucose. My LDL was very high, even though HDL and Trigs were perfect.

The evolution of low carb usually involves adding back carbs to some extent--so I gave it a try, even if it meant seeing the scale go up. Once I realized that adding in carbs didn't make me return to the state I was once in, I experimented even harder. Playing with the resistant starches has made the biggest difference in my health of anything since I gave up the SAD.

My sleep is perfect through the night, my FBG is in the 85-95 range, and LDL dropped about 20 points after 6 months of a high resistant starch, moderate carb diet.

One oddity I find with RS, there is virtually no anecdotal evidence out there--it's all studies. Usually it's the opposite. Look at low carb, the studies all say it should be harmful, lead to poor health and is not sustainable and only works because of CICO. However, the internet is full of forums like this one with thousands of people reporting the opposite.

I have managed to get a few dozen people to try RS. With few preconceived notions, nearly everyone reports increased satiety from meals, better glucose control, better sleep, and better bowel movements. Many have reported having vivid dreams--which makes sense from the gut-produced serotonin angle, but that has never been reported in the studies.

So anyway, just like many said I was nuts to try to make low carb work, I will see my way past people who say that resistant starch is a worthless addition to my low(ish) carb diet.

Thanks for the discussions!
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 18:15

BF:

Good point on the anecdotal evidence.

I've actually flirted with resistant starch in the past (raw potato). Couldn't get myself to keep eating it. Right now I'm committed to a ridiculous diet of nothing but eggs and protein powder (please don't ask for studies to defend this ). Maybe I'll try some raw potato starch later, for a couple of months. If I mix it in with some sort of cocoa-pudding-ish concoction, I can probably get myself to eat it regularly.

Unless it helps with the social anxiety I've lived with since I was nine or ten years old, I'm not sure what I'd judge the effectiveness by. I feel pretty darn good on mostly eggs right now.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 08:57

BF:

Actually, given connections between schizophrenia and celiac, and autism and gut bacteria, it's not exactly all that far out in left field that an improvement in gut bacteria might improve social anxiety and other mental disorders.

The gut bacteria going in must be a factor--and might be a factor in the differing results, short and long term, of a low carb diet.

Martin, I don't think we should too casually (or enthusiastically) dismiss the things Akman had to say. I only disagree with his certainty, not with the plausibility of his suggestions.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 09:41

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default The Potato Hack Thread

Quote:
If someone starts a potato hack thread, I'd be glad to join.

A little slow on starting the Potato Hack Thread but I got to it. It would be nice if we get some results either good and poor. They sure are a lot of people who tried this elsewhere who indicated good things.

Glad to see you still here and posting.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 09:42
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Actually, given connections between schizophrenia and celiac, and autism and gut bacteria, it's not exactly all that far out in left field that an improvement in gut bacteria might improve social anxiety and other mental disorders.

The gut bacteria going in must be a factor--and might be a factor in the differing results, short and long term, of a low carb diet.

Martin, I don't think we should too casually (or enthusiastically) dismiss the things Akman had to say. I only disagree with his certainty, not with the plausibility of his suggestions.

My only certainty is that the published benefits are a possibility and that my own experiences point to better glucose control, leading to better sleep, and my LDL cholesterol dropped significantly when the only change was addition of RS.

As to gut flora and mood/mind, their are definite links. I recently heard about this book: Potatoes Not Prozac http://www.amazon.com/dp/0684850141 and lots and lots has been written about the connection. Dr. Emily Deans loves the subject, http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogs...rain-again.html .

Another of the supposed benefits of healthier gut flora is the vitamin creation and mineral uptake courtesy of the microbes. Vit K seems to be all the rage at the moment, lots of supplements on the market for K, but in the real world vitamin K is produced by healthy gut bacteria.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 10:29

BF:

Yeah, I like Deans's blog. I'm going to stay away from Potatoes Not Prozac for now. I've tried small amounts of potato in my diet, nothing good happened. I'm actually more open to raw potato at this point than cooked.

The author of potatoes not prozac seems to be coming from another direction, sugar sensitivity. I don't have any cravings for sugar. Quite the opposite. Wouldn't mind reading the book though.

Akman, do you know anything about transit time? Say you eat a raw potato--when does colonic fermentation start? Six hours later? Ten? We've seen some articles in the media section where some people have more trouble getting into ketosis than others. I could see short chain fatty acids at just the right time of night being helpful with that.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 10:30

Plan: iDukan, Consolidation
Stats: 174/147/147 Female 5'7"
BF: Goal: < 30%
Progress: 100%

I have been experimenting with the potato hack for just over a month now. As opposed to getting involved in the sciency argument that you guys are having, I thought I would just paste my most recent post from my own journal. Let me add though, that I, too, suffer from mild depression/anxiety. I, too, am reading Potatoes Not Prozac. I would say that potatoes do help me sleep better, but the dreams are vivid and not so great, overall though, the diet has kept me sated and kept my mood stable. On to my journal post:

Quote:
I wouldn't have tried it if it weren't for Sagehill's success. Here are my results from last week:

7/29- 168
7/30- 167.5
7/31- 166
8/1- 164.5
8/2- 163.5
8/3- 162.5

I have been experimenting a little since 'all' potatoes can wear on you. Last week I had potatoes for breakfast and lunch, then a low carb meal like chicken salad for dinner and another potato before bed, ony if I was hungry. That seems to net the best results.

Believe it or not, I would gain 2 pounds on LC week-ends after eating just potatoes all week! It should have been the opposite, right? Like, shouldn't I be storing glycogen while eating potatoes and then releasing it when eating low carb? Strangely, that's not what's happening here, there's science behind it, but it's going to be hardest for us low carbers to wrap our minds around it.

I purchased a blood sugar monitor and it seems that my insulin is doing it's job properly. I was convinced that I was insulin resistant due to readings that I took a couple of years ago. My fasting blood sugar is typically in the 90s each morning. I know the potatoes raise it quite a bit, but then it drops as it should over the next couple of hours. The idea is to spend more time in a 'fat releasing' phase than a 'fat storing' phase. Without protein and fat in the system the sugar from the potatoes drops just as quickly as it rose, putting one in the fat burning stage more of the time, while still being sated by the potatoes, since they are rated as the most satiating food. I try to make sure to go 3-4 hours between meals, so I tend to eat a lot of potatoes at each meal to make sure I won't get hungry too soon. In other words, no snacking or grazing, let the insulin drop. I especially enjoy my once a day low carb meal and I am happy to be getting all nutrients that I may be missing on all potatoes.

I finally feel like I can break through and reach my goals. I was so frustrated with my stalls before, and thought that I would have to accept that I may never lose the weight and may always struggle with it. I am excited to see the 150s soon, and beyond!!
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 10:33

BF:

I don't actually have trouble sleeping, and I remember my dreams.

I'd love to see somebody with a blood ketone monitor's results just adding resistant starch to the diet.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 10:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I've tried small amounts of potato in my diet, nothing good happened. I'm actually more open to raw potato at this point than cooked.

Raw potato starch, tapioca starch, and plantain (green banana) flour are all easy to find and cheap. Much easier than raw potatoes. You can also buy super-green plantains and salt/dry them out--eat like potato chips, nearly pure RS and tasty.

Quote:
Akman, do you know anything about transit time? Say you eat a raw potato--when does colonic fermentation start? Six hours later? Ten? We've seen some articles in the media section where some people have more trouble getting into ketosis than others. I could see short chain fatty acids at just the right time of night being helpful with that.

The transit time of raw starches is approx 3 hours. I can guarantee through personal experience and reports from others that no amount of potato starch will knock one out of ketosis. BG rise from 4 TBS of uncooked potato starch is minimal, like 5pts.
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 11:08

BF:

Okay. I was more interested in whether potato starch would increase ketosis, in resistant cases.

Are you saying it starts fermenting in three hours?

I actually like the idea of raw potatoes better, for the nutrients that come with the raw starch in that form. I find it palatable with salt-just not so palatable that I remembered to eat it much, last time I was messing around with raw starch.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 12:34
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Okay. I was more interested in whether potato starch would increase ketosis, in resistant cases.

Are you saying it starts fermenting in three hours?

I actually like the idea of raw potatoes better, for the nutrients that come with the raw starch in that form. I find it palatable with salt-just not so palatable that I remembered to eat it much, last time I was messing around with raw starch.

No idea if it can increase ketosis....yes, starts fermenting in 3 hours. I read that in an ileostomy study and can confirm because that's when the fun starts if you take too much at once...riiiiip

Another idea for RS from whole potatoes, cook them sous-vide style. They sell expensive sous-vide machines, but you can do it in a pan of water with a thermometer. Maintain the water temp at 150 degrees while cooking cubed and peeled potatoes. The RS is stable until in reaches 160 degrees. Cook the potatoes at 150 degrees for 2-3 hours. They will still be crunchy, but not raw tasting. Crock pot works, too, if it will maintain that low of temp.

Alternatively, you can just boil potatoes until they are fork tender to 1/4" with inside still very firm. A probe thermometer will reveal internal temp of 150 degrees at this stage. I like to make a batch like this, cool and make potato salad with homemade mayo...delish!
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 12:52

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It just occurred to me that for RS to produce any benefit, we must keep our crap inside for a while. I mean, when I gotta go, I gotta go. But seriously, the fact that RS takes time to ferment implies that there could be a mechanism that slows down colon transit when RS is present in the colon. What other by-products of RS fermentation are there, and do any of those by-products - including butyrate - do something like that?

Since water is extracted by the colon, it follows that this would be a good way to determine when to start contracting. Maybe it's got something to do with volume or PH.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 13:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
It just occurred to me that for RS to produce any benefit, we must keep our crap inside for a while. I mean, when I gotta go, I gotta go. But seriously, the fact that RS takes time to ferment implies that there could be a mechanism that slows down colon transit when RS is present in the colon. What other by-products of RS fermentation are there, and do any of those by-products - including butyrate - do something like that?

Since water is extracted by the colon, it follows that this would be a good way to determine when to start contracting. Maybe it's got something to do with volume or PH.

Intestinal transit time and PH are both common themes in the studies on RS. Usually when discussing transit time, they talk about delayed gastric emptying from the stomach and more time in the small intestine. Something to do with blunting of ghrelin, if I remember correctly. I've never seen anything that suggests more time in the colon, but increased fecal weight is often seen due to the higher amount/turnover of microbes. Generally, people taking RS report much better bowel movements and a bit more gas than they are used to.

On a slightly bizarre note, National Starch, makers of Hi-Maize RS Corn Starch have developed a process to get RS into your colon which bypasses the eating process: http://gut.bmj.com/content/61/Suppl_2/A93.1

Quote:
Methods “Hi-maize 260” which is naturally high in resistant starch and is optimally fermented to n-butyrate in the colon1 was formulated into 2.0 g suppositories with a binding agent of cocoa butter. Patients were selected on symptoms (blood stained discharge, or anorectal discomfort) for treatment. Suppositories were used on alternative nights for 14 days. Colonoscopic examination of the rectum was performed before and 6 days after completion of treatment.