Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-13, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstrin
Stats: 185/157/109 Female 56 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

i was thinking same thing depending on the dole bag of salad and
you put something on it and go over. Having protein help and required cheese has carbs, wvets

Last edited by wvets : Mon, Jul-29-13 at 16:43. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-13, 00:28
Registered Member

BF:

my sugar was 95 morning once ever two weeks. My pants are starting to be big falling off. I am afraid of low sugar . I am going down 1 unit and staying there for a while. My Dr. thinks my carb count to low and afraid of me going to low. I used to think that if my sugar was not 150 before i went to sleep i'd have low. My body does what it wants. regulation is hard. Helene
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-13, 08:10

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

As long as you're adjusting your medication down to compensate for the lower readings, I'm not sure why your doc would have a problem with that.

Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution) believes that a low carb (<25gm per day) diet is the best for both Type 1 and Type 2 because it means they'll be taking the most minimal amounts of insulin with better control.

My doc would've been happy if I had BG's of 115-120 with or without medication. She also warned me that she didn't want me going below 100. I figured if normal was about 90, then that's where I wanted to be as well...and now am...without meds.

#34   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 13:10
Registered Member

BF:

my stomach is going down don't know if my weight will stabilize
feel shake all day but was surprised 155 some size small shirts fit 12 pants weight because loose fat bone gain. sugar numbers
111 now 96 wake up 105 sleep.
I don't think many will be in my place with neurological problems kidney and agent orange/biochemical one day I'll, Mo diet will help most people but a/o explain agent orange and diabetic. Any one exposed will take insulin and will all ways be diabetic. Aniston Alabama the town knows what it is. Is it type one don't know. But this is a celebration because I am still loosing......Ya
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-13, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 244/184/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:Too much.
Progress: 64%

Resurrecting an old thread...

I recently discovered that I am diabetic - not under dr's care.

I started eating very low carb yesterday and I haven't had any problems. However, I am afraid of going into hypoglycemia.

Should I be making an effort to eat some carbs? I don't want to crash, but I also don't want my BS to spike, either.

Thank you for your advice!
Jeanne
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-13, 13:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You should start your own thread.

I don't think Low blood sugar is usually an issue unless you're taking insulin. Look into "false hypoglycemia". That happens if your body is used to a much higher blood sugar.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-13, 14:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Jeanne,
Glad to see you reading here, and as Nancy wrote, what you experienced your first five day attempt at Atkins may have been a "false hypoglycemia" or just plain 'ole feeling crappy during the transition to fat-burning. The "Caution" thread has this from Dr. Davis: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/...r-hypoglycemia/ But since you are not on meds, and already have seen the power of LC with a good post-prandial BG reading, when I read your intro thought it more likely issues of a false hypo or the usual signs of transitioning to LC. First, read Nancy's Salt link and then Dr. Eades take on Starting LC: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...-low-carb-pt-i/
If you don't have the New Atkins book, it is worth taking it out of library for their advice on how to avoid the "Atkins Flu" during induction. Hint: More salt.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-13, 18:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieBug
Resurrecting an old thread...

I recently discovered that I am diabetic - not under dr's care.

I started eating very low carb yesterday and I haven't had any problems. However, I am afraid of going into hypoglycemia.

Should I be making an effort to eat some carbs? I don't want to crash, but I also don't want my BS to spike, either.

Thank you for your advice!
Jeanne

I wasn't type II and have had trouble with hypoglycemia several times. The solution is to eat enough protein NOT more carbs. The body converts protein into blood sugar.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-13, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 244/184/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:Too much.
Progress: 64%

Thank you! It's such a relief!

I've been a bit freaked out for the past few days. And most of my fear revolves around taking my carbs too low and crashing as a result...

Last night I ordered the Kindle version of the New Atkins for a New You and began reading it.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-13, 21:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Here is a protein calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It takes a lot of factors into account and has good references but I think it comes out on the high side. At least it does for me.