Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 22:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/174/158.7
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Pork Rinds

Does anyone know where I can find pork rinds in Melbourne?

There seem to be quite a few lc recipies that use them but I can't find them anywhere. I've looked in Coles, Safeway and also Leo's Fine Foods but they don't have them.

Any suggestions???

Thanks
JP
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 22:50
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Or Brisbane?
I've looked in several Coles and Woolies and have yet to find them.
Otherwise, does anyone have a recipe to make our own?

Rosebud

PS: I've just asked our resident chef Karen about making them. She says its not really possible.
But she suggested looking in Asian groceries. Might be worth a try.

Rosebud

Last edited by Rosebud : Mon, May-20-02 at 23:48.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 22:57

Stats: 320/270/180 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 36%

The only ones I found were in Woolies in the potato chip aisle near where the soy chips etc are and they were called "pork rinds", but I have to say I thought they were gross...(but then I have never liked pork crackling) the ingredients were just pork rind & salt I think from memory.

Maz
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 18:18

Plan: My Own
Stats: 333/215/160 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Pork Rinds

OK you guys - I'm gonna say this once and once only -- I've said it before but I'll say it again - only 'cos it's you Roz.

I bought Pork Krackles made by Gold Medal Snack Foods (02) 9725-4855 - they'll tell you where you can get them in Brisbane or Melbourtne - they are available!! I got some there last month Roz. And definitely available in Melbourne too Joypod. These ones are 0 yes zero carbs - can't be all bad!

A few thoughts:

1) Watch out for the Asian Grocer ones - many have high sugar content!!

2) I have recipe for make your own - I bellieve BiLo sells the pork skin pretty cheap.

3) My local shopping centre sells real pork crackling at one of the chicken places - already cooked - YUMMO

4) I hate the Pork Krackles by themselves (I gag onthem and get indigestion) but to use as a dip, or as a base for nachos, or in meatloaf, or a a breading coating or for that real fake pizza base they are great - YUMMO!

Do it yourself recipe from good old Women's Weekly

Crunchy pork crackling
To make crunchy pork crackling, cook the rind separately from the meat. Cut the rind from the meat with a small, sharp knife and place it in a shallow baking dish; brush rind with one tablespoon of vegetable oil and rub with one tablespoon of coarse cooking salt. Bake, uncovered, in a very hot oven for about 40 minutes or until rind browns and crackles. Drain on absorbent paper.

Gook luck let me know how your search goes.

UP THE BLUES

Couldn't help that one Roz.

BFN
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 21:35

Plan: my own
Stats: 149/150/130 Female 159cm
BF:30%/27%/18%
Progress: -5%

PORKY BITS!
HI Rosebud... you can get pork rinds at The Stones corner fruit shop.... on the bread display(?!?) and Action Supermarket has a product called "PORKY BITS" it is a pork rind based snack, with a small amount of carbs.. I think I mistakenly said in another post that they were" Pork Krackles". Unfortunately they have MSG and hydrolysed veg protein , but they are very tasty... but not very healthy...!They also have wheat as an ingredient.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 01:57

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Hi

I buy the pork rind snacks in Coles up here in Newcastle (NSW) - I liked them way before I was even thinking low carb so I am pretty happy I can still keep them on the menu as a snack

Anyway when they stopped stocking them for a while I just spoke to the grocery manager of the store and asked her what had happened to them and a week later they were back on the shelf, when I saw her the next time and commented on their return she said that a lot of their food choices come from customer requests - so maybe you should speak to the grocery manager of your local Coles and ask them to order them in for you....

Fiona
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 18:07

Stats: 123/113/105
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Pork Rinds

I have called the number provided by Wendy for Goldfoods and they did confirm that they are stocked at Coles and Safeway in melbourne but only at the larger ones. I ahve still been trying to track down a supermarket that actually stocks them in Melbourne so if anyone does come across them I would be delighted to know.

Cheers
Jodie
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 18:11

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 213/192/165
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default PORK RINDS.

Thanks for the info about Pork Rinds. I am fairly new to the site and wondered where I would be able to find them. We have both a Coles and Safeway here in Pakenham and as I am shopping this afternoon I will try and get some.

Take Care,

Ashenpond/Jenye

Last edited by AshenPond : Sun, Feb-23-03 at 18:15.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:15

Stats: 116/110/58
BF:
Progress:
Default Pork Rinds

Hi everyone

After reading all these postings on pork rinds (which I have had but not for 30 years) I rushed out to hunt some down yesterday after work! So keen I was to replace my Darrell Lea Zero Carb Chololate Bar disaster with some other tasty snack.

I live in Sydney. I rang the company's phone number from one of the postings and was told that they were available at large Coles and Woolworths supermarkets. My local large Woolies had never heard of them unfortunately, but just by chance I thought I'd try the little Asian grocer two blocks away from my home. And I found them!

The ones I found are called Pork Krackles. When I spoke to the company I was told there was some MSG in the product. Don't know if it was his product that I found, but it would probably have MSG in it anyway. But, that aside, about 50% of the pack were dangerous to the health of my crowns! I was crunching away - some were really hard and others easily to crunch on. Not bad tasting, but nothing to write home about.

But after eating three, I was desperately seeking water as the stuff tends to get stuck in the throat and after eating about 20 of them, they decided to settle (unsettle) in my stomach and not get digested. I shouldn't have eaten them on top of my dinner. I was so keen to try them. I won't be eating them late at night again either.

I shall partake of them in moderation from now on. I get so carried away.....
Happy low-carbing, folks
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:02

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

you just gotta make sure you chew each one all the way, I mean till it practically disolves in your mouth!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 22:27
Registered Member

Stats: 212/172/168
BF:
Progress: 91%

Go the Blues!

I can't believe that the one American food import we really want is so hard to get in Oz!

I'm also looking out for them in Melbourne and will post if I find them.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 15:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 68/61/58
BF:
Progress: 71%
Angry Pork Rinds

Hi I am new to this site and thrilled to find it. I have been on Atkins for close to two years and love it. it is the way to go for me.
Now about the pork rinds. I am addicted to them and went to do my regular groceries last week only to discover that they had been deleted at Woolworths. Upon more investigation with to MANAGER of Gold Medal snack foods who make them I discovered that they are updating the packaging and size of the packet so it is only a TEMPORARY shortage. Thank goodness. They should be back on the shelf soon I hope.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 154/150.5/132
BF:25%/22%/15%
Progress: 16%
Question pork rinds in NZ

I am from NZ auckland can anyone tell me if you can get pork rinds here I have been reading how much everyone enjoys them and maybe would like to try some at some stage
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 23:38

Plan: Atkins/Picture of Health
Stats: 78/71/68
BF:?
Progress: 70%
Default Pork Rinds

Hi,
I just bought the last packet of Pork Rinds from Coles Supermarket in Northcote, Victoria on Friday. I found them in the Asian Food Section. They were surprisingly tasty, handy to have if you feel the need for something salty.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 17:24

Stats: 165/141/121
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Pork Rinds

Hi everyone.
I went to my local supermarket yesterday and to my suprise I managed to grab the last packet of Pork Krackles. I must say that I found them quite tasty when I dipped them into sour cream.
For others looking for them the supermarket was Coles in East Burwood, the corner of Burwood HWY and Blackburn Rd next to K-mart. Melways reference map 61 k7.
Good luck in your quest to find them.