Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 08:45

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
"A pint's a pound the whole world round." As my mother used to say. So a half-pint would be 8 oz. But yes, that is still a lot.

A quart is 32 oz.

All true, but she claims to have drunk a pint in one day! I'm hoping that was a mistake in reporting on her part.

It sounds as if you are making great progress, Costello!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 08:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great weight loss, Costello. Dont mess with it if it is working.

Dr Edes is pushing so many markers way out of normal range it is hard to tell what is making her feel crappy. The high fat, the zero-carb, the crazy low blood sugar? Unlike Dr. Rosedale who she seems to follow, the Jaminets believe there is an optimal level for BS of 80-100 and going lower does not mean better, and may cause the symptoms she has.
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/1...r-ron-rosedale/

Although I didn't feel great the time I tried a high-fat diet, worst was I gained weight! I can be mildly ketognic without going high-fat and feel better for it. After being VLC, 20-30g/day for almost a year, I had symptoms of low thyroid which corrected just with more veg carbs. Now experimenting with safe starches, I sleep better, hunger is more easly controlled (can IF where could not before), constipation gone, etc. I've pretty much determined that I have good blood sugar control eating them, and that my higher morning BS is my own version of dawn phenomena.
I use butter, but coconut cream in coffee so dairy is really off the menu for now.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Mar-01-13 at 09:00.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 09:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Dr Edes is pushing so many markers way out of normal range it is hard to tell what is making her feel crappy. The high fat, the zero-carb, the crazy low blood sugar? Unlike Dr. Rosedale who she seems to follow, the Jaminets believe there is an optimal level for BS of 80-100 and going lower does not mean better, and may cause the symptoms she has.

She's doing it as an experiment to see how cancer patients might fare trying the diet Dr. Seymour recommended for cancer patients.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 10:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I just picked up the book yesterday at the library and am eager to finish reading it and learn new information.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
She's doing it as an experiment to see how cancer patients might fare trying the diet Dr. Seymour recommended for cancer patients.

I understand that, and is grateful she is is doing it "in the name of science" I referred someone on Dr. Champ's site with a GBM4 (brain tumor) to follow her experiment for diet tips. I see why Dr. Seyfried wants BS below 65, but patients may have to accept feeling even worse than they already do. If like me, you just hope keeping carbs low but still avoiding its symptoms, has some benefit preventing cancer recurrence, her extreme measures may not be needed.

Speaking of that, and OT, did you see the study that more women are getting more advanced breast cancer much earlier in life? As the news droned on about they don't know WHY...I think it's the SUGAR, stupid. SAD diet, more obesity, more estrogen-fueling fat, with sugar and insulin levels higher in the body and tissues.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Mar-01-13 at 12:59.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 12:30

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Ahh, dairy. Lifelong issues for me. My mom couldn't feed me cow's milk as a baby, I had horrible and endless colic. Goat's milk worked, though. But my entire life I believed I had trouble with dairy and mostly avoided it, I wasn't a milk/cheese/ice cream fiend at all. I had lifelong digestive issues, and despite having a mom with celiac disease (diagnosed in 1967), I didn't think I had it since I wasn't sick like she was. And for years, doctors said my chances were slim of having it anyway. Wrong! At age 55 I learned I had it too, plus I was tested for some other sensitivities at Enterolab (dairy, soy, egg) and was told my casein sensitivity was so high I should never eat dairy. It's still unclear how reliable Enterolab assessments are, but I gave up gluten and all dairy at the same time, and stayed dairy free for 8 or 9 months at least. Then I introduced it back into my diet in very limited amounts and seemed to do OK with it.

Since low carbing, I've wondered about it. Despite how they say full fat yogurt agrees with many people, it didn't for me. So at this point in time I limit my dairy pretty much to this: 3Tb or so whipped half and half in my cappuccino every morning. Occasional but not daily one-ounce amount of cheese. Butter on stuff here and there. I've gone periods of time on low carb with no dairy, then put it back, and saw no real difference. The worst I do is make an occasional Atkins friendly cheesecake, using full fat cream cheese, egg, liquid splenda to sweeten, and a sour cream topping. I've clearly seen on quite a few occasions that this boosted fat nicely and seemed to help my weight loss, no evidence of stalling from it.

So go figure....I remain uncertain about it. What I do know is that I don't feel so great if I go overboard on it, but I definitely handle it better in its fullest fat versions.

What I've also seen in general is that it's not too good to overdo eating anything at all. And to alternate around what you eat. My son had serious allergies as a kid and we did extensive testing. I remember the allergist saying you should only eat any potentially problematic food every 4 days or more. It's the "every day" aspect of eating foods that causes problems.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 13:09

CMCM,

This is Zoe Harcombe's take on your question and food intolerances:

Quote:
The key steps to treating Food Intolerance are, therefore, quite simple – find out what is causing you problems and stop eating it. Don't get depressed thinking you are about to give up some foods for life. Unlike food allergy, which remains for a life-time, Food Intolerance does come and go over time. Hence you could find yourself intolerant to, say, dairy products, during a stressful period of your life when your immune system is particularly low and you may find you can tolerate dairy products again when your health is better. Many people find that they can re-introduce foods to which they have been intolerant in time, when their immunity has recovered, but only on an infrequent basis. In other words, you will probably find that you can return to consuming any food or drink, in time, but you are likely to find that your symptoms and cravings reappear quite quickly as soon as you eat the substance too much or too often.

Your tolerance to dairy could have recovered because you are now gluten-free and digestion is repaired, or "immunity" restored. I copied Zoe's entire chapter on Food Intolerances for a friend who became intolerant of eggs after going low carb (on my advice ) eating too many of them. PM me if interested in how to treat and I'll email the rest of this chapter.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Mar-01-13 at 15:12.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 15:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have a slow, downward spiral on dairy. I'm currently eating dairy and my sinuses are starting to swell, muscle aches and spasms are coming back, a zit or two here and there. I can go for awhile before my body starts to punish me.

The worst part is I gain weight on dairy.
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 18:03

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I don't know for sure if this is an example of Jey's research, but when my son got to the point that he could no longer eat apples, or really, any fruit, he decided to alert us to his IBS. In an unrelated sequence, we figured out he was gluten sensitive and he cut that out. Lo and behold, he could tolerate fruit again.
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-13, 06:00

Yes, that's it. If you remove the gluten, then damage to the gut, known commonly as leaky gut, and other damage to good gut bacteria, etc heals. After some recovery time you may be able to re-introduce the cross-reactive foods in limited amounts.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-13, 07:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
I don't know for sure if this is an example of Jey's research, but when my son got to the point that he could no longer eat apples, or really, any fruit, he decided to alert us to his IBS. In an unrelated sequence, we figured out he was gluten sensitive and he cut that out. Lo and behold, he could tolerate fruit again.

Did going gluten free help his IBS?
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-13, 07:55

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Did going gluten free help his IBS?

Yes, almost immediately. It was astounding.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-13, 09:43

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I just wanted to make a four week report on my progress.

Going into this experiment, I was badly off plan, so much of the weight loss was no doubt water.

1. Weight loss: 10 pounds came off the first 3 weeks. The last week there's been no additional loss.

2. The mucus in the mouth problem tapered off over a couple of weeks and is no longer an issue.

3. Hunger has not been a serious issue. I don't feel seriously hungry or weak, and in fact have found that I'm not hungry at all at lunch time, resulting in my spontaneously eating only one meal a day on several days.

4. My fasting blood glucose is elevated over what it normally is when I'm low carbing. I've changed meters to one with cheaper test strips, and it tends to test a bit higher, but I'd guess I'm consistently testing 15 to 20 points higher in the morning than I normally would.

I think that those are the only remarkable changes. My blood pressure is unchanged, and I haven't noticed anything else unusual or noteworthy that I can remember at the moment.

Given that this is an easily sustainable diet and I'm feeling well, I'm planning on extending it for at least another four weeks. I do wonder if the higher blood glucose is a reaction to lowered insulin due to eliminating the insulinotropic dairy products. If that's so, it may just need more time to adjust?
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-13, 10:04

Sounds all is going well, but your question about high FBG (only in the am?) will open a can of worms.
http://ketopia.com/tag/physiologica...lin-resistance/

I have it too...and have no answer for you.
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-13, 10:44

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Sounds all is going well, but your question about high FBG (only in the am?) will open a can of worms.
http://ketopia.com/tag/physiologica...lin-resistance/

I have it too...and have no answer for you.

I think it's more than that. I've had that slightly elevated FBG for years on low carb. Runs 100-110 (on my old meter - the One Touch). It's risen over the course of this experiment to the mid 140's on the new meter - the Relion. I'd estimate that's between 125 and 135 on the One Touch.

I picked a lousy time to change meters, but I wanted to test more often, and I couldn't afford it with the One Touch. During the day I'm seeing mostly high 90's and low 100's. Even after meals I'm not having huge rises. I think the highest I've seen was 155, and that was only one time. Generally I'm happy with the postprandial numbers.