Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 07:03
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by femur
Fantastic series. I've seen nearly all of them. The author uses evidence based studies and cites every single fact he mentions to debunk LC. He also notes the citation in each study so you can look it up if you need to.

His takedowns of Taubes and Cordain were particularly good.

"I can brush my teeth - I can't brush my arteries." LMAO.

Everyone is entitled to their point of view - I'm just surprised that someone who agrees with plant positive on low carb, is hanging out in a low carb support group.

Lee
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 07:05

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchild2
Here is a series of videos talking against low-carb diets and low-carb proponents such as Taubes and the Diet Doctor.

Nutrition Past and Future
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...pboyh2oYyAFZDBA

I came across it as part of my LC research - I wanted to see what "the other side" says. I was wondering if others saw this if anyone put together a rebuttal/response.

The author/speaker is very condescending and the little verbal jabs against LC supporters imply that the target audience is other vegans rather than trying to get LC people to change.

I've only watched part of them so far and he ends up doing everything he accuses low-carbers of doing - cherry picking studies, reading too much into scientific papers, deception/lying, etc. He also relies heavy on epidemiological studies

Curious what y’all think.

I want a transcript of the narrative. Otherwise, I have to transcribe it myself and I won't do that. Without a transcript, I'm going to say we can safely ignore the entire series, and it wouldn't put a dent in our lives.

Let me show you why I want a transcript, and why I say we can safely ignore the entire series. In this thread, somebody cited one of the videos:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=449429

I transcribed just a short narrative to illustrate my point here:

From this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoAflQdc3CE

Quote:
"In my previous videos about the Eskimos, a small portion of my material came from very old sources. I use those because the low-carb promoters selectively use old sources to make the primitive Eskimos seem to have been healthy. My point in looking at those old writings, was that they had chosen a poor model of ideal health, and isolated people living in a harsh environment who suffered serious health problems and who were sometimes reported to be overweight.

I haven't been satisfied with the way I left those videos, because if you look at enough accounts of native peoples by Westerners of long ago, you'll notice there is often an undertone of racism. Anecdotes are not scientific evidence, especially anecdotes written by probable racists."

See what I mean? There's nothing substantial in this short transcript. It's all opinion. Well, as I often say, my opinion is always better than yours (in this case, better than his). With a transcript of the whole series, I bet a million bucks we're going to find tons of that nonsense. And this tells you pretty much what "the other side" says about low-carb. I've had tons of discussions with opponents of low-carb. The common theme is the lack of facts, the tendency to lie, and finally the classic "You're not reasonable so I don't see any reason to continue this discussion with you". Funny, I always want to continue a discussion with them. It's fun!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 07:20

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Everyone is entitled to their point of view - I'm just surprised that someone who agrees with plant positive on low carb, is hanging out in a low carb support group.

Lee

I'm not. An evangelist hangs out where the people are who need to be saved.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 07:38

BF:

Quote:
Eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain, no matter which diet you use.

If you were eating the lowest calorie density foods, like fruits, veggies, and whole grains, all with a calorie density of 600 calories per pound or less, you would have a hard time keeping weight on, let alone gaining weight. I suspect you ate lots of oils and fat (vegetarian does not necessarily equal strict plant based or low fat). Fat is about 4,000 calories per pound. So it would be easy to gain if you eat it.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...065919229_n.png

That's the intuitive conclusion based on the First Law of Thermodynamics. Me and many others have already explained many times why this intuition is not necessarily true, so I won't do it now. I'll use a different approach this time.

Fat tissue is regulated by hormones. Which hormones are regulated by calories?

No need to understand biology to see it's a trick question. So what's the trick? Well, first, fat tissue is where calories are stored. Second, fat tissue is indeed regulated by hormones. Consequently, the hormones that regulate fat tissue, also regulate calories by extension. Now do you see the trick?

When you say "Eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain", what you're really saying is "calories regulate hormones, which in turn regulate fat tissue". As I've shown above, that's not how it works. Basically, you fell for the trick.

But why is it a trick? Simple. The hormones that regulate fat tissue, regulate the calories that are both inside and outside fat tissue. "Outside" means those calories that have not yet arrived at the fat tissue, that are in the bloodstream, in the gut, in the mouth.

Here's a simple explanation of how this thing works. Imagine you eat tons of food. If the hormones that regulate fat tissue decide not to put any of those calories inside fat tissue, you won't gain weight. This is what happens with diabetes type 1 for example, where insulin is just not there to put those calories inside fat tissue. Now imagine you eat a tiny amount of food. If the hormones that regulate fat tissue decide to put all those calories inside fat tissue, you will gain weight. This is what happens with obesity, where insulin is really high, i.e., hyperinsulinemia. As we can see, how much food you eat means nothing. What matters is what hormones do with that food.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 07:54
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I'm not. An evangelist hangs out where the people are who need to be saved.

Ah, I see, thinking they're saving the world one animal at a time.

Lee
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 08:10

BF:

~Femur

I'd like to address your idea about eating "lowest calorie density foods".

As I explained, once we understand that the calories we eat mean nothing, we can see how eating low-density foods makes no sense either. But let's delve a bit deeper in this idea.

What are low-density foods? What are they not? They are not meat, and they are not fat. This means they are all plants, and they are all carbohydrates. Carbs contain 4 kcals per gram, fat contains 9 kcals per gram. We could say meat contains protein, and protein contains 4 kcals per gram, so that would be OK, if we only eat the lean meat. Maybe. For now, let's just look at carbs and plants.

The first question we have to ask is can we digest those low-density foods? After all, if we can't digest them, they're not really food, are they. There's basically two kinds of carbs. Digestible, indigestible. Right there, we can ignore all indigestible carbs, since we can't digest them, so they're not food. All we have left is the digestible carbs. What are they, exactly? Glucose, fructose, sucrose. That's about it. By the way, sucrose is plain old table sugar, and it's made of half glucose and half fructose. So basically, when you're saying "eating the lowest calorie density foods", what you're really saying is "eating sugar".

Maybe you meant something else by "lowest calorie density foods", but that's what I understand.

If you do think indigestible carbs are food, then you have to explain to me why I should starve myself by eating foods that give me exactly zero calories and zero nutrition. They're called "indigestible carbs" for a reason. If I can't digest them, then I can't extract any energy or nutrition out of them, now can I. If I'm starving even though I eat, then we call this a semi-starvation diet. Ancel Keys did an experimental study on semi-starvation back in the '40's. The result? Emaciation and neurosis.

Let's recap.

When you're saying "eating lowest calorie density foods", either you're really saying "eating sugar", or you're really saying "eating a semi-starvation diet". Somehow I think that's not what you meant either way, but there it is. I welcome clarification on what you really meant.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 08:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain, no matter which diet you use.

I am living proof that this doesnt work!! I've been on many a diet where I was on low fat/low calorie. They worked to a point, but unfortunately I was climbing the walls with hunger, going to bed at 6pm to stop myself eating, looking pale, drawn and miserable and in the end cheating and eating junk - phew!!

I went on Atkins, within days felt better, no IBS, eczema, arthritus, lethargy... and lost around 90lbs in 9 months! A friend of mine used to put my food intake into one of those nutritional info sites and I was eating on average 4000 calories a day. I started eating bad carbs a couple of years ago and decided that I'd eat them, but keep my calories under 1500 - which I did. I put on around 28lbs! So I'm back now on Atkins, doing roughly 2000 cals a day (I dont really measure them, but I read the labels of what I eat) and have lost the surplus 28lbs!

I dont care a jot about calories, if you truly understand the need for them, the way they are measured and the way our bodies use food, you'd see that calories are like using an inch tape to measure water!!!! Its how our bodies use food that matters

Jo xxx
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb / Ketogenic
Stats: 256/231/180 Male 178cm
BF:start 30%
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I've had tons of discussions with opponents of low-carb. The common theme is the lack of facts, the tendency to lie, and finally the classic "You're not reasonable so I don't see any reason to continue this discussion with you".

Not all of Vegs are like that, but what I don't like most about fanatics among them is; they make statements. You ask for source in form of a clinical study. They either dodge your request or give you some studies and names. You find and read the papers, and most of these just contain the words "fat", "increase", "cardiovascular" and "linked" in the same line. 90% of the studies are observational and usually do not deal with experiments to find out whether fat is bad or not. If you point out that studies are a "dead end" and don't prove any radical Veg idea, they start with circular questioning. I find all this very tiresome.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 11:13

Plan: Ketogenic + IF
Stats: 240/194/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketogenium
Not all of Vegs are like that, but what I don't like most about fanatics among them is; they make statements. You ask for source in form of a clinical study. They either dodge your request or give you some studies and names. You find and read the papers, and most of these just contain the words "fat", "increase", "cardiovascular" and "linked" in the same line. 90% of the studies are observational and usually do not deal with experiments to find out whether fat is bad or not. If you point out that studies are a "dead end" and don't prove any radical Veg idea, they start with circular questioning. I find all this very tiresome.

Exactly, arguing with someone who refuses to believe something is quite pointless and just gives you a headache.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 11:38

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 202/175/150 Female 5ft3 / 63in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I try not to get upset about stuff like this anymore, so all I wanna say is...

Haters gonna hate!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 12:23
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I guess I don't understand the big deal with people simply finding what works best - in all respects - for each individual. There often seems to be this idea that "what works for me will work for everyone." And, people get awfully pushy about "their" way being "the" way.

A perfectly clean, nearly vegan diet did NOT work for me, and I don't mean because of weight. I was slender. However, I became pre-diabetic, had constant gut issues, felt weak, dizzy, lightheaded much of the time. I stuck with it because it was "healthful." Sure it was - for somebody - just not for me. It didn't work for me in enough respects. Weight management was the only thing it had going for it FOR ME. And, my current way of eating probably doesn't work for plenty of other people. But you know what? It works pretty well for me. And, really, that's all that matters when it comes to choosing a dietary plan. You have to choose what works best for yourself, no matter how it works (or doesn't) for others. I have no problem with a vegan diet if it worked for me. The only way I could do it is without grains and most starchier vegetables. Grains cause me gut problems and, along with many starchy vegetables, raise my blood sugar too high. It doesn't matter how many kcals I'm eating or not eating. This is simply my reality. A diet of nothing but non-starchy vegetables is not all that appealing to me, so yes, I eat meat. I do not think that meat is harmful, and I happen to think it provides some good nutrition. I feel fine eating it.

My nearly vegan diet consisted of all 100% natural and real foods. Fresh veggies, fruits, beans, squashes, home made breads. Nothing fake. The only animal product was the occasional small dollop of butter on veggies. That's it. And, I kept that dollop small to keep kcals down. It was a very high quality diet. But, it didn't work for me. Oh, well. I'm glad such diets work great for others, but that is of little consequence when I have to consider my own health.

Last edited by Labhrain : Tue, Jan-29-13 at 12:31.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 12:53

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Some people can do well as a vegetarian, I am not one of them. I gained sixty pounds quickly as a vegetarian, which caused a host of health problems. Then I lost the weight and now have perfect health by eating a low carb, moderate animal protein diet. It is the only study of importance to me.

I did NOT gain the weight in my near-vegetarian days. In fact, I was VERY thin. I AVERAGED 115 lbs, with a three-to-five pound swing. What I did have was wicked awful "sugar swings". And NOT with sugar. I ate nearly NO sugar. I got the wicked awful sugar swings from healthy, whole grain bread on my sandwiches, etc.

Now, when I say "wicked awful"... I mean narcolepsy-inducing, cannot keep my eyes open during the noontime seminar, handwriting goes to hell, from neat to indecipherable chicken scratching. I still have the notes to prove it.

I NEVER want to be like that again. Ever. I'd rather remain at 24% body fat BMI for the rest of my life than 18.

Last edited by LilyB : Tue, Jan-29-13 at 13:03.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 14:03

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj

I went on Atkins, within days felt better, no IBS, eczema, arthritus, lethargy... and lost around 90lbs in 9 months! A friend of mine used to put my food intake into one of those nutritional info sites and I was eating on average 4000 calories a day. I started eating bad carbs a couple of years ago and decided that I'd eat them, but keep my calories under 1500 - which I did. I put on around 28lbs! So I'm back now on Atkins, doing roughly 2000 cals a day (I dont really measure them, but I read the labels of what I eat) and have lost the surplus 28lbs!

I envy you the ability to just go on and off of lc and have results. Many folks find it just doesn't work as well after you've fallen off the wagon. Maybe it's age, but I have never repeated the success I had at 39 years old, which mirrored your rate of loss, btw. Also, I love a great anecdotal example of the metabolic advantage since so many devoted lc'ers even believe that this works simply because we eat fewer calories w/o the carbs.[I]

I dont care a jot about calories, if you truly understand the need for them, the way they are measured and the way our bodies use food, you'd see that calories are like using an inch tape to measure water!!!! Its how our bodies use food that matters

Jo xxx

LOVE the analogy of the 'inch tape' to measure water. That's very good.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 15:17

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Ah, I see, thinking they're saving the world one animal at a time.

Lee

I am glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. I've seen this phenomena on other forums where low carbers or paleo dieters hang out and the perpetrators are typically one of two varieties: trolls like durianrider or stealth evangelists like femur trying to save people from themselves. I love this diet and it has brought so many positive changes in my life but I don't feel the need to go stalk vegan forums trying to convince them their B12 deficiencies are eventually going to bite them in the butt. IMO it takes a special kind of d-bag to make a habit of doing that kind of thing.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 15:54

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain
I guess I don't understand the big deal with people simply finding what works best - in all respects - for each individual. There often seems to be this idea that "what works for me will work for everyone." And, people get awfully pushy about "their" way being "the" way.

They don't believe that any diet with animal products can be good for you. They don't believe there is any core difference, one person to another. They believe that the vegan way is based on human anatomy and therefore it must be the only way. Any problems from over doing sugar in the past will resolve over time with a vegan diet, in their opinion. To them, it's like we're saying that even though two cars have gasoline engines, one might need diesel.