Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-12, 09:55

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

After reading about these from some bloggers the last couple days I did make a trip to Walmart today, and did find them there, here in NE Florida. Yes they do, sadly, contain crap ingredients. The "Farmhouse-Style Sausage Scramble" contains, for example: scrambled eggs (whole eggs, skim milk, soybean oil, cornstarch, salt, xanthan gum, citric acid), breakfast sausage, green bell pepper, pastuurized processed American cheese, fire roasted onions, red bell peppers.

I mean it's *nearly* decent, but who the heck puts soybean oil and cornstarch in their scrambled eggs? And why skim milk? Not to mention processed American cheese frankenfood?

But the price is right. Only $3.48 each. I bought a few for the freezer. It's easy enough to say make and freeze your own, but I've tried that and my stuff always tastes like crap when I try to reheat it.

And living alone, I don't always feel like cooking something new and different every night.

When I was checking out with them the clerk exclaimed, "Wow, I didn't know Atkins had these foods!" And called to the clerk at the other register to come take a look. "Yeah, but how much sodium does it contain?" asked the other clerk, and picked up a package. "1000 mg! Way too much. No way can I eat that. I have diabetes and high blood pressure. I have to keep my sodium way low."

But I'm trying the Farmhouse-style right now, and it's delicious! I'm really surprised at how good it is, though I added a pat of butter and a little shredded cheddar during the last 10 minutes of baking.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-12, 10:31

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I wonder if the soybean oil and cornstarch helps it survive the freezing better. I've never tried freezing scrambled eggs but it seems like the water content might leak out upon defrosting.

It does seem disappointing that these foods are not as pure as we'd like, but they are certainly better than Lean Cuisine. In ideal conditions I would not think to sub these for Real Food, but who knows what special circumstance might make these foods the best alternative? It's nice to know they are there.

Sadly it will be a while - forever? - before the general public understands the sodium thing.....
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-12, 11:19

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

Why is there such a huge fear of being hungry? Fasting until you can get to your next healthy meal is not that bad a thing and can get you closer to your goal since by definition if you are fasting or going longer between meals you are restricting calories.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-12, 11:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by femur
Why is there such a huge fear of being hungry? Fasting until you can get to your next healthy meal is not that bad a thing and can get you closer to your goal since by definition if you are fasting or going longer between meals you are restricting calories.

It's fine to fast if it doesn't bother you. But some folks can't make it for hours and hours. Now, I can eat a big meal, of the right type, and coast for 24 hours, but I've been low carbing for years.

Some of the ingredients are to "protect" the food while it's frozen, I imagine, but I make my husband stirfrys, and my own Noodless Lasagna, etc, and never have needed it! Personally, I think it's a manufacturing quirk; every bit of flour and seed oil and starch is another bit of real, ie, expensive, food they don't have to buy.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-12, 12:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

I miss the Atkins Frozen mini pizzas they had back in the day !! I liked them better than the South Beach Diet pizzas.

I know they are "crap", but I always had one on a Friday night and I felt like it was a TREAT !!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-12, 12:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
It does seem disappointing that these foods are not as pure as we'd like, but they are certainly better than Lean Cuisine. In ideal conditions I would not think to sub these for Real Food, but who knows what special circumstance might make these foods the best alternative? It's nice to know they are there.
Yes, agreed. They are not perfect, but I won't let the perfect be the enemy of the good in this case. The ingredient list is not perfect, but it's surprisingly short for a pre-packaged food. And mostly all "real" food even if not only foods we think we want. And it was amazingly tasty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Sadly it will be a while - forever? - before the general public understands the sodium thing.....
Yeah, I think "forever" is more likely.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-12, 12:43

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Thanks for the information about the meals. I saw that these were now out, but I think I will stay away for awhile. Too bad, it would be nice to have something quick on those days you have to work late.
I do find the Atkins bars to be nice when I really need something sweet. They have not caused me to stall yet but I only have one once a month or so.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-12, 02:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 447/190/230 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 118%

thanks for the great post...I went to walmart and got some...The breakfast is delicious I will be having one every morning...
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-12, 09:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmrickman
thanks for the great post...I went to walmart and got some...The breakfast is delicious I will be having one every morning...
I had one for dinner last night too, and it was also awesome. I *loved* it. It tasted better than any frozen meal I've ever tried. It's not exactly "quick" since it takes 40 minutes to bake (I don't have a microwave and don't want to use a microwave). I could easily live on these. Two of these babies a day and make a side salad would suit me just fine. I wasn't hungry for HOURS after eating one of them. In fact they are so cheap I would probably save money by just eating these for a week or two to see how they go, LOL. I might have to run back to Wally World and buy out their stock, except I don't think there is enough room in my freezer.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-12, 10:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I had one for dinner last night too, and it was also awesome. I *loved* it. It tasted better than any frozen meal I've ever tried. It's not exactly "quick" since it takes 40 minutes to bake (I don't have a microwave and don't want to use a microwave). I could easily live on these. Two of these babies a day and make a side salad would suit me just fine. I wasn't hungry for HOURS after eating one of them. In fact they are so cheap I would probably save money by just eating these for a week or two to see how they go, LOL. I might have to run back to Wally World and buy out their stock, except I don't think there is enough room in my freezer.

I loved these...I got every one except the crustless pot pie because they didnt have that one...I cant beleive how cheap and delicious they are...If you go on Atkins facebook they have a $2.00 off coupon...
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-12, 10:42

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmrickman
I loved these...I got every one except the crustless pot pie because they didnt have that one...I cant beleive how cheap and delicious they are...If you go on Atkins facebook they have a $2.00 off coupon...

Can you give a link to the official Atkins facebook page? I found one for Atkins Nutritionals, but there's only a description there, not an interactive FB page. Then there's an Atkins app, but I want to be sure that it's legit before I allow it access to my info.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-12, 10:47

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I found it. Here
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-12, 11:26

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

I originally said I would rather eat quick whole food but am thinking it may not be such a bad idea. Merpig thinks it will help her to stay on the JUDDD and I can see why. Forgive me for jumping to conclusions!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-12, 11:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia-b
I found it. Here

scroll down and click on Sharon Osbourne...fill out the entry form and the coupon pops up...........
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-12, 11:28

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4"
BF:BMI=23.2
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig

As you try more of them, could you tell us which ones you find to be the most satisfying?

I would love the convenience, I'm just a bit concerned that I might be sensitive to starch. I've never been sensitive to sweets, but I could always eat insane amounts of potatoes and rice.