Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-12, 20:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Go here and read the thread, Tons of good information on ketosis.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=444626
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 09:01

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 167.5/151.5/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 45%

~Nancy LC and
~JoanD'Arc
Thank you again for the follow up! That information is so valuable. I made it through another day. I was good. This -- right now -- for me, is a ONE DAY AT A TIME proposition. If I had not lost as many pounds as I did in so far, I would not still be doing this. It is hell for me right now and my cravings are unbelievable.
Nancy -- I will get that book. Tell me more about the blood checking. Do you need a doctor's prescription to do that? (I cannot believe a doctor would give me a prescription for that. At least the ones I'm currently seeing probably wouldn't. One is a cardiologist who does not believe in Atkins or low-carb diets (even though being a more normal weight is one of the best things you can do for high blood pressure, which I have). The others are MDs whose specialities have nothing to do with weight loss. I would be willing to try the blood testing, though, if it gave me more of 1) a sense of satisfaction that I was achieving something through all my dietary deprivation, and 2) enough control over my blood levels that I feel free enough to eat some low-carb veggies occasionally. I cannot believe that spinach or kale, from time to time, would "throw me out" of Ketosis. I want to drop about 30 pounds. It sounds like a lot to me. I'd look fine with a 20-pound drop. And I don't look awful at this weight . . . but I am more matronly and hippy than I would like to be. And the bottom line is health, anyway, not vanity. At 5'6", it would be really wonderful to be back to a COMFORTABLE weight for me. So, I will be following your suggestions. Now that I've found so many good people here with this one, Introductory email, where ELSE can I find you guys hanging out? What other threads should I read?

Thanks again to everyone! This is all tremendously helpful.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 09:02

Stats: 234/180/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 64%

When starting induction, you have to keep sugar free products to no more than 2 a day, regardless of if it's low in carbs. A clean induction will kick start your weightloss best. As for carbs, eat allowable veggies. If you haven't read Atkins and plan on following it, I'd suggest you learn it as best you can so you don't cheat yourself an eat things that can hinder you. http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase...this-Phase.aspx

Good luck!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 09:05

BF:

~Aradasky --Thank you for the link! I had not seen your post (it was on "Page 2" of this thread and I am so new I did not realize there were "pages" to be turned. I am SO GRATEFUL to get that link. I will read it all today. Today is a really busy day, though, so I will do it a little later. After my wonderful breakfast of -- guess what? Eggs and meat! Wow! (Ha, ha). Anyway. I'll let you know all the things I learn. Thank you so much!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 09:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibanne
Tell me more about the blood checking. Do you need a doctor's prescription to do that?

Nope. The meter you can get online, the strips are about $2 each from a Canadian pharmacy.

Consider it a very optional part of the program... just to satisfy your curiosity.

Phinney/Volek say in their book that it can take a week or two to get back into NK if you cheat, although most of us were back in about 4 days, although just barely usually. So yes, that could keep one from slipping.

The cravings will go away. Just make sure that you:

1) Don't cave into them. It just makes them come back fiercer than ever.

2) Plan to have LC treats around you can turn to instead of feeling deprived and morose.

Final bit of advice... if you consider this a diet with a start and an end, you WILL be back. You will re-gain all the weight. We have people posting those sorts of messages over and over. I know that it is a lot to wrap your mind around, but the sooner you learn that, the better.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Dec-05-12 at 09:58.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 10:59

BF:

~Blue Dress -- Hi! How did I miss your post before? Thank you for your suggestions. That is very interesting about the "sugar free" products. The implication seems to be that either they "trick your tongue" or that they throw off the ketosticks thing. Right? I did read Atkins, but very long ago and I don't remember it. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I divide my time between New England and Southern California, and right now I am in New England and my old Atkins book is somewhere among my thousands of books at home in California. I guess I'd better get a new one and study up again.

By the way, I LOVE your "name" (Blue Dress) ha, ha, ha... That is hysterical!!!!! (Or, maybe you didn't really mean it that way, but even if not, it is still a wonderful name!)

Were do you find that "ticker factory" weight loss ticker, by the way. I could use that, I think.

YOU GUYS!! ALL OF YOU. I LOVE THIS BOARD. You are all so helpful! This, in the end, could save my life. It is sure bringing up my spirits and giving me hope. And I have a few pounds lost already, and even though I hate having been so limited in terms of my eating, I love having lost a few pounds when other methods didn't seem to work. So far, at this age in my life, this is the most effective thing I've tried.

I will order the Atkins book today.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 13:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
By the way, I LOVE your "name" (Blue Dress) ha, ha, ha... That is hysterical!!!!! (Or, maybe you didn't really mean it that way, but even if not, it is still a wonderful name!)

LOL! Are you thinking of Monica Lewinsky?
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 18:17

BF:
Default Caving, treats, and names...

~Nancy LC: Moi? Think of tha-aaat????? Ha, ha. Who me?
Were you?

Actually -- that comment was intended for the lady who calls herself "Blue Dress." I don't know what she had in mind. I'm presuming she has a really pretty blue dress that she loves in her wardrobe, and it is just a lovely image because the mind conjures up something feminine and yet stately, but flowing and somehow, romantic. Not tawdry. But, post Clinton, it is a little bit of a playful name and I think that that is very cool. Ms. Blue Dress has made wonderful contributions and comments to my thread and I enjoy her posts!

Meanwhile, you said these things below and I want to comment or ask about them:

A: Phinney/Volek say in their book that it can take a week or two to get back into NK if you cheat, although most of us were back in about 4 days, although just barely usually. So yes, that could keep one from slipping.

The cravings will go away. Just make sure that you:

B: 1) Don't cave into them. It just makes them come back fiercer than ever.

C: 2) Plan to have LC treats around you can turn to instead of feeling deprived and morose.

A: Very helpful info. Thank you! I am planning to order the book, as I said. It is on my to-do list.

B> VERY GOOD ADVICE NOT TO CAVE. I WILL COMMIT IT TO HEART AND MEMORIZE IT. ENGRAVE IT ON MY SOUL. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT THINGS FOR ME, BUT IT IS CRUCIAL!!!

C.: WHAT ARE LC TREATS??????? There is nothing on the list of allowable foods that I see that I would consider to be treats. I honestly don't enjoy lo-carb foods very much. But I do plan to enjoy the results of getting my figure back. So, any suggestions will be quite helpful.

Also: Is there a way -- within the rules of this site -- to indicate how to find that particular Canadian pharmacy that you mention? Or, what should I Google in order to find it? You mention that this option would be just for the sake of satisfying curiosity. And I would agree that this would be the reason because it sounds like a fairly cumbersome activity that might take up more energy/time that is justified by the amount of benefits it would offer in exchange. However, you are right that there is a curiosity factor there.

I'm glad you mentioned it.

Last edited by Malibanne : Wed, Dec-05-12 at 19:13. Reason: To add things I forgot -- I got some replies mixed up
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 18:28

Stats: 280/149/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I didn't have any insightful info to add, just wanted to say you're welcome for what little I did contribute, and agree that people on this forum rock!

Best of luck to you!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 18:36

BF:

~ LittleZu: Just hearing from you is encouraging, whether YOU think it is "anything insightful" or not. Support like this means so much when you are just starting. ;-)

And wow! I just looked at your stats. I am SO blown away and so impressed. If you have this type of resolve, maybe you can share some of the things you did that gave you enough of a steel will NOT to cheat and not to "feel bad" if you could not indulge the way you might have wanted to. I cannot believe that the road from 280 to 170 has not been fraught with temptations!

#26   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 18:45

BF:

Quote:
~ LittleZu: Just hearing from you is encouraging, whether YOU think it is "anything insightful" or not. Support like this means so much when you are just starting. ;-)

Well, I'm glad to lend any encouragement I can! Goodness knows, most of us haven't got much encouragement from people who don't really understand the way of eating, LOL! I'm glad you have a friend who knows what she's doing to help you out in your life! That's a plus a lot of us didn't have starting out!

On the subject of low carb treats- have you seen the recipes for coconut oil bark? Okay, it's NOT chocolate, and you do have to count the carbs in the artificial sweeteners, but it's pretty decadent when compared to just meat and eggs (because you seem to be doing as close to zero carb as possible right now)
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 18:51

BF:

Quote:
And wow! I just looked at your stats. I am SO blown away and so impressed. If you have this type of resolve, maybe you can share some of the things you did that gave you enough of a steel will NOT to cheat and not to "feel bad" if you could not indulge the way you might have wanted to. I cannot believe that the road from 280 to 170 has not been fraught with temptations!

I'm an open book, so you can ask away, and anything I can think of to tell you I will volunteer! It's been a long road, so it's a bit difficult for me to remember anything from new to low carb 5 years ago, and losing 117 lbs intially, then getting preggo with my one and only daughter, regaining 80, and on my way back down a second time, LOL!

It's harder this time because I have a toddler. I think the thing that worked for me the first time was the freedom to cook and eat a variety of things- experimenting with new veggies and recipes, and trying to adapt recipes to low carb. Now I can't afford to spend so much time in the kitchen. I have a little one to teach and care for.

Edit: Oh and my profile picture is me with my 280 lbs pants when I hit my all time low of 163, right before I got preggo- I'm 170 now- SO close, LOL!

Last edited by LittleZu : Wed, Dec-05-12 at 18:58.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 18:57

BF:

~Aradasky! Wow. What a chock-full-of-facts link you provided. I read it fairly quickly, and also copied it because I want to read it again and store some of the information in my head. It probably will be a while before I read the Volek/Phinney book (holidays, lots of catching up on other fronts, etc.) but I will get to it. Thank you so much for providing so much information, and also for sharing your personal searchings. That is impressive! I identify with people like you . . . . looking for answers in so many directions. Thank you so very much!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 19:01

BF:

~ Little Zu! Thank you so much for your generosity of spirit. I'm sure there will be plenty of times when I will take you up on that!

Add on: I looked at your photos! You look so pretty now! You should include a photo looking straight at the camera. Keep on keepin' on!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 19:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleZu
Well, I'm glad to lend any encouragement I can! Goodness knows, most of us haven't got much encouragement from people who don't really understand the way of eating, LOL! I'm glad you have a friend who knows what she's doing to help you out in your life! That's a plus a lot of us didn't have starting out!

On the subject of low carb treats- have you seen the recipes for coconut oil bark? Okay, it's NOT chocolate, and you do have to count the carbs in the artificial sweeteners, but it's pretty decadent when compared to just meat and eggs (because you seem to be doing as close to zero carb as possible right now)

I never would have done this if she had not pushed me into it. Now I'm glad I did. (I can't believe I said that. I really am so sick of the "food" already. But it is true. I AM glad.

And thank you for the info on the carb treats. You are right. Right now, in order to just "get into" ketosis, I am sticking as close as possible to zero carbs. Thanks for the tip about the coconut oil bark. I am so new and have been so consumed with work and Christmas and other things that I have not yet full explored this website. Much to learn, much to learn!!!!