Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-12, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: customized plan
Stats: 212/126/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default people keep telling me not to lose more weight

Hi,
A lot of people keep telling me I shouldn't lose any more weight, and believe me I'm not asking for their opinion. I am 5'8" tall and weigh 154 lbs. However, when I was younger I weighed a lot less than this and I wanted to get down to about 137 pounds which is still quite a bit heavier than when I was in my 20s. I don't see why this is excessive. Height/weight charts don't help as they vary considerably. Anyone have an opinion?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-12, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 206/187.2/150 Female 68"
BF:41%/28%/25%
Progress: 34%

Hi,

I have lived this exact situation. I am also 5'8" tall and weighed 135 - 140 in my 20s. My goal is to get to 150 lbs. Each time I have dieted in my life, when I hit the 160s mark people tell me to stop dieting. It infuriates me.

I don't know where it comes from...if people are jealous, or if I look unhealthy. This time though I am lifting weights to build muscle and doing a low carb diet. In the past I have always done low-calorie low-fat. I think sometimes that make you look gaunt. Maybe this time they won't tell me to stop.

My advice to you would be that you know your own body. You will know the weight that your body feels best at. I would concentrate on keeping a goal, but also listening to your body. If it stalls, you feel less energetic at less than your goal, then think about considering changing your goal weight. Only you will know.

Congratulations on your weight loss. You should be very proud.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-12, 13:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It probably isn't realistic for most folks to weigh what they did as very young adults. It gets less realistic as you get older.

But usually your body will simply refuse to go there without consulting you.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-12, 13:15

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I understand. My stats are not similar to yours but I have faced the same comments recently. And I still have a round, curvy look! So it's common I guess. At first the comments drive me to nearly binge. But now I try to take it in stride.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-12, 13:20

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

You could tell them all to say it to me if you like!!!lol..5ft 8 is a lovely height,and only you know how you feel and look,dont let them worry you and try to find a weight that you are comfortable in..we are all different..well done on your losses so far..
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-12, 17:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I think people say it cos they're used to seeing you large and when you get slimmer you dont look the same round plump person - you possibly look gaunt to them. You dont, but they're not used to seeing you slim!

Jo xxx
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-12, 05:45

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

I went to a party with some former colleagues a few weeks ago and one lady - who is older and thinner than I am told me I shouldn't lose any more weight, but I really think it was because she liked me being fatter than her.

I must admit when my assistant lost about 25 lb with Weight Watchers I was pretty envious, as she looked really nice, but I didn't tell her to stop! LOL.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-12, 16:35
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks for all of the responses!

I feel good and I have a lot of energy. I'm going to continue to diet until I get to where I want to be or until following the diet causes my weight to stabilize. Either way you guys are right, it is my body and my decision. For the first time since I was in my late 20's, I'm having a blast buying clothes. I'd forgotten how much fun it can be! I'm still surprised when I go to a store and don't have to shop in the fat girl department. I'm so happy.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-12, 17:25

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Most people just stop losing at some point well before they are in any medical danger from being too thin.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-12, 18:27
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I'm just slightly taller than 5 ft 8 in (or I was before I started shrinking with age). I'm 55 years old and about 4 months ago my body just stopped losing weight at around 167 lbs. That seems to be all it wants to do--at least for now. That's still lighter than I've been since 1989, so I'm happy with it, although I wouldn't mind losing 10 more pounds.

My lowest adult weight was 140 pounds, which was when I was age 26. I got there through low fat dieting and managed to stay in the 140s for about 18 months. I spent most of my 20s and early 30s at around 155 pounds--and erroneously thought I was fat. (I look back at photos from then and don't know what I was thinking.) But, at my current age, my body is telling me when it's ready to stop losing weight and not vice versa. I certainly didn't try to stop losing weight.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-12, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 206/187.2/150 Female 68"
BF:41%/28%/25%
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC

My lowest adult weight was 140 pounds, which was when I was age 26. I got there through low fat dieting and managed to stay in the 140s for about 18 months. I spent most of my 20s and early 30s at around 155 pounds--and erroneously thought I was fat. (I look back at photos from then and don't know what I was thinking.) But, at my current age, my body is telling me when it's ready to stop losing weight and not vice versa. I certainly didn't try to stop losing weight.

Isn't it funny how the mind works? We set ourselves up for failure and we don't even know it. I, too, have had that moment of looking at old pictures and wondering what I was thinking. How could I have thought I was fat? Also, when I read the food journals from when I was on a low-calorie/low-fat diet; I am amazed at how tortured I felt. It was all ridiculous and for what? I still got fatter!

I am happy to be on a sensible program now. No more of those ups and downs for me!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-12, 10:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/234/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I just figure when I get down to a weight I'm comfortable with and can maintain, after awhile, they'll forget how I used to look anyway and the complaints will stop.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-12, 11:47
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswenthe
I just figure when I get down to a weight I'm comfortable with and can maintain, after awhile, they'll forget how I used to look anyway and the complaints will stop.

I was thinking that same thing this morning. I hope people get used to the new me after awhile. I'm also hoping that my face adjusts to this new weight and starts looking less gaunt (for lack of a better word). If not, there's always laser treatments and as a final resort, some kind of surgical procedure.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-12, 14:33

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzetteBlu
I'm also hoping that my face adjusts to this new weight and starts looking less gaunt (for lack of a better word).

That's the crux of it. As we age, our faces seem to get longer and thinner, our waists thicker. The trick is to get them to look like they belong to the same body, and it's a bit of a balancing act.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-13, 08:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/165 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

get down to the weight you want and are comfort without becoming sickly or anything like that.

tell them to shut the he** up

I am 5'8 also and when I hit about 160 everyone told me don't lose more. I told them to mind their own business LOL it works!