Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 11:13

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default 96-year-old Vegetarian as World's Oldest Father

I'm putting this here in the war zone, although I'm not necessarily trying to stir up controversy. Mostly I'm just curious about how this could be. Here's the link and the article:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...topstories.html

"A 96-year-old farmer in India says that he has set the record for the world's oldest new dad - for the second time.
Ramjit Raghav and his 52-year-old wife Shakuntala Devi, who live in Haryana, 31 miles northwest of Delhi, welcomed baby Ranjeet earlier this month. The healthy baby boy was born on Oct. 5, according to The Times of India.
Raghav has now beaten his own record for being the world's oldest new dad, which he set two years ago when he and Shakuntala welcomed their first son together, Vikramajeet. Raghav credits his healthy sex drive at his advanced age for the two late-in-life children, and says it was all natural.
"I didn't take any performance enhancers … I just prayed to go to complete my family, either a boy or a girl," the nonagenarian said in an interview posted online.
Raghav's age is recorded in the Haryana government's social welfare department as 96 years old, the Times reported. Those records could not be confirmed by ABC News.
Raghav told The Times of India that he remained a bachelor and was celibate throughout most of his life until he met Shakuntala 10 years ago.
"After staying together, we decided to extend our family and aspired for two sons. With God's grace, our wish has been fulfilled," Raghav said.
Raghav told The Times that he credits his vivacity to his diet and lifestyle. He says he has been a teetotaler and strict vegetarian his entire life.
The world's previous oldest dad was thought to be Indian farmer Nanu Ram Jog, who reportedly had his 21 st child at the age of 90."

(emphasis mine.)

Link to another article with the picture and video: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/..._n_1974673.html

I've read about this guy in a few other on-line articles, and they all pretty much say the same thing. In one of them (can't find it now) he talked about how he has never eaten meat, but eats some sort of flatbread every day. He also talks about how he enjoys "relations" with his wife 3 or 4 times every single night. (In the second article, he says how his neighbors are jealous of that...seriously, with those houses as close together as they are, I think the neighbors are just trying to hint that they want some peace and quiet at night, lol.)

His wife, also a vegetarian, is 52. Which these articles don't seem to address or even notice. That's pretty old to be having healthy babies and going home from the hospital 4 hours after giving birth. I almost think SHE should be the headline story!

So could BOTH of these people have won the "gene lottery" or could there be something to their diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 11:17

Plan: Ketogenic + IF
Stats: 240/194/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Well, my $0.02 is that vegeterians and omnivores have way more in common than vegans and vegiterians. Vegiterians still can get the benefits of animal fats & proteins from cheese, butter, etc.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 11:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I remember stories about a certain Himilayan society were everyone lived to incredibly old ages. All sorts of books and articles were published about the Hunzas. Turns out they were all lying about their age.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in this story until valid proof of their ages is confirmed and paternity testing is done.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 13:28

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

George Burns smoked and drank and lived to be over 100. Maybe we should all take up smoking and drinking.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 13:35

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Stuff like this is always being reported because the Indian government isn't exactly world-class when it comes to record keeping.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 13:42
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandra
George Burns smoked and drank and lived to be over 100. Maybe we should all take up smoking and drinking.

Yup. Even if this guy is 96, there are so many factors involved in longevity/health. Diet is only one factor. Genetic factors play a larger role than I think we want to credit them. (Some people are genetically programmed to do quite well on a higher carb diet, for instance.)

When it comes to diet, remember than vegetarian and vegan are not the same thing. If someone is not vegan, but vegetarian, s/he is likely getting animal proteins and fats, just not from the meat. If this person is eating higher carbs, it could be that those carbs have ALWAYS come from better sources (rather than things like sugar-laden pastries and trans-fat filled breads, etc.) I really do think that a person who eats higher carbs, but those carbs have always come from REAL food, can do far better in avoiding metabolic damage than someone whose diet has consisted of carbs from garbage. A real food diet (even one higher in carbs) from the start of life - rather than coming later, after damage from junk has already been done - combined with the right genetic coding, can lead to a healthy person with a long life, despite the carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 15:00

Plan: Mostly meat
Stats: 215/193/150 Female 63in
BF:
Progress: 34%

I think vegetarians can be healthy, even the grain eating ones. Rice is commonly eaten and some wheat. A lot of vegetarian Indians mostly whole plant foods. They all eat dairy( they are not vegan), especially fermented dairy. They use good spices that have anti-inflammatory properties.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 15:09

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

The story I'm about to relate may be irrelevant... or it may be the entire key to it.

I have a friend from India whose doctor suggested that she go on a LC diet to control her blood sugar issues. She asked me what to eat, since I was the only one she knew who ate LC.

To preface her request, she said that she doesn't eat meat. I asked if she used any animal products at all, such as eggs, milk, and cheese, and she said yes to all of those, and said that she also eats chicken and pork, but doesn't like fish.

Turns out that what she meant by not eating meat was that she didn't eat beef - remember that cattle are sacred in India, so no one eats beef there. She's highly educated (has a PhD), speaks English fluently, but to her meat still means beef, and all other animal flesh was not meat.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 18:29

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Says he drinks milk and has butter.

You dont need meat in your diet if your eating sufficient dairy.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 19:44
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindke
Says he drinks milk and has butter.

You dont need meat in your diet if your eating sufficient dairy.

Exactly.

Quote:
“I am very capable of having more babies," the 96-year-old, who lives on a diet of milk, butter and almonds, told The Sun.

Milk, butter and almonds. It's not the typical vegetarian diet.

Their whole milk is also much higher in fat than our meager 3.5%. Look at the difference in the cream lines between the whole milk from a more traditional cow, from which he's probably getting his milk, vs a modern holstein, which has hardly any cream at all. http://youtu.be/-NtI8jb75kc
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 20:31

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
He also talks about how he enjoys "relations" with his wife 3 or 4 times every single night.

This tells me his testosterone is working just fine thank you. This in turn tells me all his other hormones, including insulin, are all working fine as well. And this in turn tells me that whatever he's doing, be it diet or anything else, does not interfere with his hormones. It could be due to not eating beef, but that's a long shot and not very credible. Consider the cows are sacred, and imagine just how well they treat them because of that. Surely, this would not result in bad meat, and if he did eat beef, surely it would not do anything bad to him.

Or he could just be lying about everything.

Oh and this is just one anecdote. There's tons more anecdotes about all the bad stuff that happens to vegetarians. Let's keep our wits.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 21:06

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

George Burns used to say, I'm paraphrasing, when he started drinking and smoking, it was good for you. Maybe when this guy started being a vegetarian, that was good for you.

Quote:
"I didn't take any performance enhancers … I just prayed to go to complete my family, either a boy or a girl," the nonagenarian said in an interview posted online.

Raghav's age is recorded in the Haryana government's social welfare department as 96 years old, the Times reported. Those records could not be confirmed by ABC News.

Milk, butter and almonds... I'd love this story to be true. I love buttered almonds, maybe there's hope.

Social welfare department... I wonder if this guy wanted all this attention, when somebody noticed that he was the "worlds" oldest dad a few years back, or if he's just trying to keep a straight face to stay out of trouble.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-12, 07:52

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm more impressed that he still has a full head of hair!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-12, 08:40
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I'm actually more impressed by his wife giving birth at age 52!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-12, 17:34

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Wheat is the mainstay almost everywhere and even asians eat some.

Back to the subject; men in this country used to father children in old age but now impotence is the norm.
Maybe if they could get an erection....

Also don't forget that in India, veganism is not the norm. Dairy is highly valued so there's still animal protein involved.

Many women give birth easily and age is not necessarily the factor.
Even young women in our country have big/huge babies due to diet...not necessarily so everywhere.