Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-12, 18:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
I need to get back into my 2 meals a day plan if I'm going to hit my goal weight for christmas. Don't see that happening but my goal to stay binge free just may work out

Hey, being binge free is a goal in itself, isn't it? One thing at a time!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-12, 18:38

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I don't think my habit is totally broke, I still want to eat alot. Now I just look for LC foods. Crossing my finger that this passes in time.

I went to town this afternoon and wanted to eat junk food, those cookies in the house have been bothing me today too. So, I was at Orchlands and bought a container of mixed nuts and a bottle of water and ate half of the nuts on the way home. I didn't neccisarily feel famished, I just "wanted" and I don't like that. I'm sure the nuts are a better option than the sugar cookies but I need to get back into my 2 meals a day and no snacking.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-12, 07:36
Registered Member

Plan: FatHead
Stats: 267/185/175 Male 71"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I'm sure this has been said before, but I found that in order to stop binging, I had to stop depriving myself. Stopping the deprivation also meant that I couldn't limit the types of foods I was eating either.

Yes, that was counterproductive to weight loss.. and even caused some gain at times, because I did eat more than normal at times. However, when I ate enough I wasn't constantly thinking about food, and my desire to binge slowly went away. It took years before I was ready to go back to restricting my food intake.

But I was happier.. which is what I thought I would achieve by losing weight anyway. It's never worked out that way though.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-12, 12:45

BF:

Chandltp, I know what you mean. I have been eating more and I sappose as long as I'm not binging I'm on the right rought. THis is your frist post!!! Welcome!

I was happy this morning, my weight is back to 170.4 lbs. Theres only 2 lbs to have me back to what I was before the last time I binged. So, I was too busy this morning to eat breakfast. I had to take the truck out to chore the rabbits, were working on a foot of snow and it rained all night, its nasty out. So, I got to the barn, unloaded the feed and was back out of the pasture when the truck slid across the road and stopped in the neighbors ditch. You would think I would know better than that! Finally we got a neighbor to try to pull me out, but his truck slid in the ditch too. He must have moved me enough though because I backed down through the ditch and got out, then pulled him out By the time I got back in, its time to start lunch. Darn bunnies They did appreciate having more feed though, I had to go buy more last night. I should have taken it out there last night but too late now.

The kids want me to bake, this cold weather kinda makes me wanna bake. I don't have any issues with what I bake as long as I don't touch it in the first place. I've had these sugar cookies in the house since Saturday. They are in a bucket up in a cabnet, out of sight and sort of out of mind
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-12, 13:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
The kids want me to bake, this cold weather kinda makes me wanna bake. I don't have any issues with what I bake as long as I don't touch it in the first place. I've had these sugar cookies in the house since Saturday. They are in a bucket up in a cabnet, out of sight and sort of out of mind

As long as I know it's there, it's rarely out of mind for me. But as long as I don't touch it, I'm usually fine.

My wife is similar, but she'll usually eat it to "get rid of it". So we just avoid it for the most part.

I try not to feed the kids things that I wouldn't want put in my own body, so they only get treats when we're out of the house for the most part.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-12, 14:00
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
THis is your frist post!!! Welcome!

Oh, and thanks. I've been reading this message board for about 6 months before I finally decided to join so I didn't feel new.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-12, 14:16

BF:

My kits eat some starches and some sugars. BF is a sugar holic, so I can't just cut it off, I'd loose a perfectly good BF if I pushed my weight around on that. If I cut off my kids, I feel they would just go crazy at school or at friends's houses and grandparents. I don't allow a lot, but I do allow.

Like they get one sugar cookie a day, and thats descided by BF, if he wants any. When it was my sons B-day party, they got one pc of cake and 2 scoops of ice cream. I don't allow seconds on goodies. Thats the most I will push my weight around and they handle that ok.

I don't have much for baking supplies on hand, and we have a ft of snow and 60mph winds right now. I don't see anyone going out to get baking supplies.
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-12, 06:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/165 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

Your story has been interesting and I enjoyed reading about binging and how you are handling it.

I never binged much before starting atkins. I would 'eat alot' but never did more damage than that. (and eat alot I did )

Dieting made me start to want to binge. Yup. Dieting.

I noticed a pattern in myself. As long as I ate a giant LC breakfast, something at lunch depending on how hungry and a very substantial LC dinner I was OK. cravings gone point blank. Could walk by any sugar foods and not give them another thought.

then I decided to 'cut back a bit' to lose weight faster.

WOW. the cravings came back hard on some days. over 2 months on plan....no problems with cravings....thoughts of food out of my head, and the minute I decide to cut back the food I instantly started craving. I couldn't put 2 and 2 together.

It was food restriction. Will make anyone crave eventually.

I am back on a 3 square meal menu plan with some LC desserts included for snacking. I am losing weight slower (which stinks but OK) and I my thoughts about food, craving, binging, etc. are gone again.

be sure you are on a good LC food plan. the minute you 'think restrict' is the minute you start to crave.

I have LC desserts all thru this house. don't use them often but I can whip up tons of sweet LC desserts in a heartbeat if needed. do way less damage than real sugar carby junk. Knowing I have this option to eat LC desserts in quantity means I don't crave them as much. Cause I know I can have them.

well that is a bit of what has happened to me 'when I went on a diet' and then did a big major food change for life.

Know your patterns. If it is stress, boredom, restrictive eating or whatever, you gotta figure it out and find a fix. best any of us can do!

hang in there and best of luck on your eating plan. we all have demons to work thru and do what we can to correct our personal problems.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-12, 09:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They have a table absolutely loaded with sweets here at work. I knew if I gave in, I'd be face down in it. Haven't caved!

I made a low-carb, cranberry clafouti to reward myself last night.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-12, 09:42

Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
They have a table absolutely loaded with sweets here at work. I knew if I gave in, I'd be face down in it. Haven't caved!

I made a low-carb, cranberry clafouti to reward myself last night.

This christmas has made me aware how easy it would be to binge - high carb food is everywhere and its taking some will power to not have even one tiny mouthful! I've been tempted, but whats the point? What would be achieved? Is it worth it? A binge - which is what one small mouthful would lead to, would just make me feel sick, guilty, a failure, fat............

Its like giving up smoking, you CANT have ANY, NONE, END! And it doesnt matter - christmas wont be ruined simply because you havent eaten some high carb junk!!!!!

Sadly, santa didnt even bring me any low carb chocolate this year, he concentrated on new clothes lol!!!! I shall go and buy myself an atkins bar in a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo xxx
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-12, 11:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Its like giving up smoking, you CANT have ANY, NONE, END!

Oddly enough, I don't have any problem with it. I've had a couple since I quit cold turkey, and I wonder why I wanted it each time. It's not bad, but it's not good either.

Quote:
I shall go and buy myself an atkins bar in a while!

Unfortunately I've found I have to avoid those like any other sweets. Anything sweet threatens to set me off.. except for beverages for some reason.
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-12, 11:36

Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I've had my atkins bar! I think I've convinced myself that they arent bad and wont trigger a carbfest!! I tend to drink lots of water after eating one to wash it down

Jo xxx
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-12, 21:24

BF:

You know whats triggering me the last couple of days? Macadamia nuts! Silly isn't it? But, once I pup a jar open, I don't stop and I will have it emptied by the end of the day. Love the little bugars! Won't be loosing any weight that way!

I had planned to clean up my eating plan and keep it clean till New Years, drink my wine and keep going. Well, we were road tripping today and its hard to eat right on the road, I don't want to! We stopped for lunch at a mexican place, we got tacos. 2 bits and It wasn't worth it, but I bought a meal, so I ate the tacos, left the nasty sides. Got home and got really stupid and ate 4 cookies, that was it, 4. They weren't that great, ok, the first 2 sugar cookies were great (I made them) but the rest wasn't. For supper we ended up eating tacos again. I could have ordered the steak, but that was $18 a plate! Made me feel guilty, I didn't want to eat a salad or a burger either. I pealed off the extra shell and that taco was pretty good. Drinking a glass of wine now. Wanted a taste test for New Years Eve.

Tomorrow I have a steak thawed out for lunch and several things planned for the next several meals. No more nuts in the house and sugar cookies are gone. I don't have a care to find more food, I am satisfied.

We will talk tomorrow and see if I'm carrying the same "satisfied" tune or not.
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-13, 07:45

Stats: 230/214/165 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
I've had my atkins bar! I think I've convinced myself that they arent bad and wont trigger a carbfest!! I tend to drink lots of water after eating one to wash it down

Jo xxx

I have some atkin bars in the house also. don't eat alot of them but they do well for me to grab if there isn't anything else I want. The atkin bars do not trigger me also. In fact I got a free box the other day with a coupon
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 20:55

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

I feel ya, sexym2. It's so hard. I thought Atkins was hard... then I got sick and slid all the way back to square one... that was hard too. I tried Atkins again and it didn't do anything

So now I'm on the hcg diet, which is my last chance. It is harder still: my daily diet is limited to 500 calories, consisting of lean protein, plain vegetables, a piece of fruit.

It's really hard to keep on track when my hubby is eating pizza or chocolate in front of me, but I have to remember that what works this time may not work next time... so there can't be a next time.