Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 07:08

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Update

Oh boy, the first week went by smoothly, lost my of my cravings, stuck with LC no binging no urge to binge. Crazy but great! This past weekend has started getting tougher, and every day seems to be worse. That little coice in my head keeps egging me on and insisting I need to eat the junk. I haven't touched the junk, I haven't over eaten in a week and a half. This friday will be a full 2 weeks.

Will it get easier? They claim it does, last night I wanted to hide my head in a whole, no, all day yesterday was awful! But, somehow, I have been avoiding the junk food and trying to stay busy.

I've been drinking diet pop the past few days, I'm putting it up to see if the junk food monster doesn't go away. I'm also going to up my fat intake a bit.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 07:38

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default temptation

That's tough but you're doing so well. Hang in there. Are you taking supplements? Just a thought. Increasing the fat seems like a good move.

I get hungry more quickly when I eat cheese than when I eat meat and oily fish. This morning I ate a thin rye crisp bread with cheese for breakfast. I put butter on it too. I felt a little strange for a while. Maybe not such a good idea, though it was very convenient. I also checked the carb content of some of the things I eat. I was amazed to see leaks and liver are quite high carb.

Keep on trucking, I'm sure the cravings will go away.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 07:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

It DOES get easier.

I can tell you I was amazed myself, but the more I stay away from such things, the less the hold they have.

Now, I can sit there at dinner and watch people eat all kinds of things, and I'm fine. Honest.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 09:00

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It got easier for me too. From this point the body heals just a little every day but it can take more than days, more like weeks - the cravings coming from the brain chemistry take a bit of rewiring. Like how it takes 2-3 weeks to get used to a new SSRI.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 09:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulumae
That's tough but you're doing so well. Hang in there. Are you taking supplements? Just a thought. Increasing the fat seems like a good move.

I get hungry more quickly when I eat cheese than when I eat meat and oily fish. This morning I ate a thin rye crisp bread with cheese for breakfast. I put butter on it too. I felt a little strange for a while. Maybe not such a good idea, though it was very convenient. I also checked the carb content of some of the things I eat. I was amazed to see leaks and liver are quite high carb.

Keep on trucking, I'm sure the cravings will go away.

I'm not taking any suppliments, although I do drink a bouillon cube with 1/4tsp potassium, seems to help energy levels and keep me from getting dizzy spells. I used to take vit. supplaments, but it seems like they are endless to what we should take. I will take a calcium with lunch, I know I should do that.

Lulumae, Seejay and Werebear ~ thanks, It really is tough. The OA books talk about a feeling of relief when the cravings stop coming. I had that for a week, what happened to that? I really liked that week without the cravings.

I don't usually have a problem with watching others eat junk, its when I'm by myself. Last night, we were having our usual meat, veggies and carby side. The carby side was buttermilk biscuts, they were fairly small I thought. Anyway, I cut one in half and ate it, with butter. 12 carbs in that half a biscut, I don't think that biscut caused troubles. I had them all day already anyway. I'm not having troubles yet today, I'm staying busy. My Mom is coming over after an appt too. I made a list of things that need done, and am crossing them off one by one. The fish tank got cleaned, laundry put away, podcasts downloaded, new rug layed out (preperation to taping it down) vacumed 2 of the floors, cleaning my room now so I can vacume it.

I did have a good sized breakfast, 3 eggs scrambled with 2 tbsp bacon greese. I am going to eat more eggs durring the day, I think they are the best option for me. But when we have left overs, I feel I should eat them because I'm the only one around that will. We don't have left over night very often like we should.

Drinking lots of tea this morning, I'm not addicted to the diet A&W so thats not a problem, I just like the flavor sometimes. Usually it doesn't cause any troubles, dought if it really caused them yesterday, I think I was going to have troubles no matter what.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 11:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
But when we have left overs, I feel I should eat them because I'm the only one around that will.

THROW THEM AWAY.

Think about it. Which path does more harm?

And I thought you lived on a farm; give them to the pigs or chickens, who will enjoy them more than you will
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 11:42
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I save the meat and green veggies for lunch the next day, the carby stuff gets tossed, it's poisen to me anyway.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 11:56

BF:

Dr Atkins says don't even think about doing it without supplements. He says magnesium is important (do check the book). I don't much like popping pills but I have ordered a multivitamin and mineral supplement (without iron) and I'm going to take a low dose for a while and see how it goes. Cravings could be due to deficiencies, I guess. Eating biscuits is probably also risky if you're carb sensitive, however small they are. Cravings should go away with a strict Atkins induction. When you start reintroducing things you should be able to spot the culprit. That's the theory anyway. Take care of yourself.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 13:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulumae
Cravings should go away with a strict Atkins induction.
That's only true for certain kinds of craving - induced by a short term insulin high from eating excess starches and sugars. So when you drop the starches and sugars boom away go the cravings. true for some.

There's another kind of craving from empty neurochemical receptors that does not go away just by a two week abstinence. Ignoring that fact about neurochemistry drives me nuts (Atkins did not write about that area of brain chemistry) .
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 14:02

BF:

Yes, because his whole system was predicated on carb-induced insulin resistance as a cause of obesity and the rest of the metabolic syndrome. The sort of cravings that you refer to may be for food but can be for lots of other things like alcohol, drugs or even running, I believe. Quite a lot is known about the mechanisms now, it seems, but it's still not that easy to get people off whatever they are hooked on, it seems.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 14:12

BF:

Ain't that the truth! To this day there is no drug for screaming endorphin receptors (those are the ones that complain when you quit flooding them with addictive things). Isn't that interesting?
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 14:53

BF:

You all are very intresting!

Quote:
THROW THEM AWAY.

Think about it. Which path does more harm?

And I thought you lived on a farm; give them to the pigs or chickens, who will enjoy them more than you will

I keep the meats and veggies, there usually isn't much carbs left over if there is BF takes them to work or they get tossed. Don't have any piggies or chickens to feed the stuff too. I have horses and rabbits there not going to eat it.

I have an appt with a therapist in a month, if theres an underlying problem besides addiction, was hoping she'd get to it. Maybe something to help them recepters think their happy and full?

I forgot, I do take Magnesiam, a pill half hour after my thyroid meds, a pill mid morning and 2 pills before bed. I've tried taking more, but I forget and you shouldn't take them with fatty foods (not pretty).

For lunch today I made some home made chicken nuggets and a salad with ranch dressing. Mom came over and ate with me, then I went out to walk the fencing on my huge 2 acre farm I live in a small town, and I have the biggest lot here I pulled some tall weeds in the back ditch (West Pine St) and pulled any others along the fence line. The city has been after my neighbors about tall weeds so I want to make sure I don't end up on there sh** list. They already don't like my horses (no rules against them), their always trying to complain about something. They do that with everyone, if they ignored me Id feel left out

Vitamens, Ok, I will start taking a multi daily, my thyroid (of course) magnesium, my bouillun cube with pottasium and a calcium. That ok? Personally I don't think its vitamen deficiancey, but It won't hurt me none.

I havn't had any issues today, and truthfully don't see it happening. Kids will be home soon, home work, baths, supper (I know its an odd order but when he have 4 baths a night we have to split it up) and of course catching them for bed. I'll be busier than I have been today!

I wonder how much of my problems is depression, something about that lack of happy hormones? I am here alone all darn day long, I do like my solitude, a quiet house is nice. But its to easy to loose focus and forget or not care or something and do what every a what to do (good or bad).
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 16:53

BF:

I think you are on to something with getting your receptors happy and full with fun things.

I love your description of your farm but I can see where the downside might be unwanted isolation and a lack of stimulation in some areas, that can lead to bad things. Like, it's hard for you to just go play with other adults, without a big rigamarole of gas and sitters and schedule. Sheesh. Too much of quiet house and I'd wanna do something different sometimes too.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 17:47

BF:

Isolation does get to a lady! But, 3 years ago, I lived in a much larger town and binged. Not near as often but i still did it. I learned to walk, walk and walk some more to keep busy and children are not great to keep away the binge monster! Having little ones and being stuck with them and it being a pain in the A** to drag them around makes for a boring life. I loved it when I went to school for a while, but I gave that up to save my marriage (didn't work).

No issues today, most likely another day down. BF just left for a class for his vollenteer firefighter, my oldest went to a 4-H meeting and my 2 younger ones are playing in the bird bath in the front yard. Thanksfully I didn't get to baths yet

I'd love to be friends with my neighbors but believe it or not, I can't get along with most ladies. They are mostly older and hate my horses or some my age that I just can't get them to be friendly past "Hi." I've been here 3 years and made good friends with an older fellow up the streed and another older fellow across the alley. They city doesn't like him, and I was seen speaking with him one day and I was black balled the very next day Hippacrits

Something to help me up my happy hormoses would be nice. I'm not big on pills at all, but at this point in my life I've figured out I can't do it on my own. I don't think I'm depressive any more (I've had seriouse problems in the past) but I wonder if some things just never completely go away.

Supper was a screwey mess, tuna, loads of mayo, 2 egg yolks, 2 pc bacon, and a little dill relish. It really wasn't as good as it sounds. Tomorrow night I will cook . . . cheeseburgers. Nothing to crave over here!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-12, 06:43

BF:
Default Two Weeks Overeating/binge Free

Believe it or not, I havne't had any cravings since my last post on this thread. I had a full week without cravings, 4 days that were really tough and now nonw. I am not gong to get cockey, that voice is lurking somewhere. I wonder if the 4 days of cravings was an aggressive way for my body to get the junk food? It didn't work and things settled down, for now.

I like the way I'm feeling at the moment, its. . . peaceful.