Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-12, 08:02

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I called the store, told him my troubles, and what I'm wearing now. He told me what I really need, that my Pumas are the worst thing for a person with flat feed and that I need motion control shoes. He sells 3 different varieties, carried 2, apparently one of them is not pretty and women don't buy them. We talked about alignment and well, everything.

So, I am heading to Burlington, in the darn pick up of all thing! The day for BF to take the car to work! Darn it, triple the gas going out. Oh well, the truck does have air conditioning
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-12, 08:04
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
I called the store, told him my troubles, and what I'm wearing now. He told me what I really need, that my Pumas are the worst thing for a person with flat feed and that I need motion control shoes. He sells 3 different varieties, carried 2, apparently one of them is not pretty and women don't buy them. We talked about alignment and well, everything.

So, I am heading to Burlington, in the darn pick up of all thing! The day for BF to take the car to work! Darn it, triple the gas going out. Oh well, the truck does have air conditioning

Sounds like this guy knows what he's talking about. Good Luck!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-12, 08:28

BF:

BF is getting off work early to take me to town(so sweet). I told him he could have my Pumas, theres nothing wrong with them for people without troubles and there only a month old. Oh, there mens shoes So, around noon, were taking the drive, making the plunge into even more expensive shoe apparel. He'll have an anurisim when I pull out my plastic to pay for it. I was going to get an extra pair for in the house, but I may wait till he's not around and order them Don't need to make his hair go any grayer
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-12, 10:29

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
BF is getting off work early to take me to town(so sweet). I told him he could have my Pumas, theres nothing wrong with them for people without troubles and there only a month old. Oh, there mens shoes So, around noon, were taking the drive, making the plunge into even more expensive shoe apparel. He'll have an anurisim when I pull out my plastic to pay for it. I was going to get an extra pair for in the house, but I may wait till he's not around and order them Don't need to make his hair go any grayer

Good luck! that sounds like a simple direct thing that could work! what a good idea.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-12, 08:57

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Agreed, shoes are a great place to start. I've always considered a good pair of exercise shoes a necessity, not a luxury. I hope BF sees it the same way.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-12, 13:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

To a large extent, any intense exercise is difficult at first. It may take weeks or months to get used to it.

Jogging is more stressful than most exercises. However, the human body is designed to run and for long periods of time. In addition, running/jogging gives you more of a workout per minute than most other forms of exercise. Cross country skiing, swimming and running are the top ones. Most exercise classes/video/sports have many stops/rests in their exercise. You are not working out if you are stationary. You work all the large muscle groups at the same time when running. Running can be done alone, in pairs or in groups, indoors or out, at anytime of the day (running outdoors at night is a very strange experience) under almost any weather conditions. I never like starting a run when it was raining and rather enjoyed runs in light snow storms.

In addition, there are goals that can be set besides "I need to exercise today" such as running different distances, different paces, races, etc. That makes it easier to what to keep up the work.

If you do not pound your feet when you run, you are most likely OK for running. If you are not sure, have someone watch as you run. Bad form is very apparent.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-12, 09:32

Plan: none yet
Stats: 187/180/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default safety first

It is always nice to consult a expert first before doing any exercises. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you did not do proper jogging routines like warm ups and cool down exercises. These two are very important to avoid injuries.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-12, 12:46

BF:

I do warm up, I was trying to work into jogging. Id walk the first half mile, then jog a block, walk 3 and jog a block, I did that for 2 miles, then walk the last mile. Stretch aftwer wards.

My chiropriactor says I may never be able to confortably jog due to my bow leggedness and my flat feed. I'm to play it by ear and see how I get along with these new shoes, see if I need physical therapy and what may be needed from there.

I'm to lazy to jump right into anything to quickly I warm up, cool down and strentch after every time.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-12, 07:50

BF:

Thank you, everyone, for your ideas.

Judy, I love the shoes, I'm going to ge a second pair for in the house. They are the same price in the store as they are on line. I wore my cowboy boots yesterday, wore my tennies up till I got on the horse. Didn't notice any issues till I got off to use the loo. Instant pain, absolutely no arch sapport, but I have to wear them to ride in. So, I'm going to put arch sapports in them for that short time I need them.

My hips are much better, if they are getting tiight, I go for a walk. My chiro told me to walk often, the shoes will keep me lined up and walking helps put it all in order and work it their. It was rough camping this weekend, the trailer mattress about done me in. I went for a walk every morning after getting up, I was bad off.

I've continues my weights and am doing some HIIT before my weights. I jog, on and off a step for 1 min, then walk for one. Right now I'm doing 10 min then strength. Felt pretty good.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-12, 08:50
Attitude is a Choice

I'm so happy for you! Thats sounds just fabulous!

Yes, I use arch support in all my shoes....rain boots too. It makes a huge difference.
As you wear them more, your body will begin to feel better and better.
I'm a bit surprised the your chiro person didn't tell you about this though. He should have, IMO!

In addition to fallen arches, overweight women with knee problems do well wearing motion control shoes too.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-12, 18:58

BF:

He's always told me to buy good shoes with arch sapports but never these shoes in particular. He's looked my shoes over, checked the arch sapport to make sure nothings worn out. But lets face it, he's a chiropractor, not a shoe salesman. He was quite intrested in my new Brooks shoes, had me take one off and he looked it over. He was quite happy with them and was going to look online about the info on them. I'm sure I'm going to be the guinea pig and let him know how they work before he tells others about them.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-12, 19:30
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
He's always told me to buy good shoes with arch sapports but never these shoes in particular. He's looked my shoes over, checked the arch sapport to make sure nothings worn out. But lets face it, he's a chiropractor, not a shoe salesman. He was quite intrested in my new Brooks shoes, had me take one off and he looked it over. He was quite happy with them and was going to look online about the info on them. I'm sure I'm going to be the guinea pig and let him know how they work before he tells others about them.

While I think that its great that he's open to learning, in my opinion, a good chiropractor needs to view the whole body, not just the spine.
Knowing that your gate will be thrown off when you walk with the wrong shoes is key. You are not his guinea pig...you will be his teacher!!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-12, 08:52

BF:

I just ordered a second pair of Addictions for in the house, my first pair are already, not white I also ordered a good pair of arch sapports that are thin, for my cowboy boots. I'm sure they wont be as good as my shoes but its got to be better than nothing in them. That really hurt the other day in my boots, Ive never noticed it before. So much for cute sandals in the summer! What do I do if I wear a dress? You can't stick arch sapports in sandals.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 20:00

BF:

Judy you won't believe what happened. I love those shoes that I bought at the store, so I bought another pair of Addictions on line. I wore them today for the first time, they are my indoor shoes. THis evening my feet are really hurting, my arches have never been so painful and my ankles are killing me! I'm going to wear my first pair tomorrow, but I'm sending my newer pair back.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 07:34
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Judy you won't believe what happened. I love those shoes that I bought at the store, so I bought another pair of Addictions on line. I wore them today for the first time, they are my indoor shoes. THis evening my feet are really hurting, my arches have never been so painful and my ankles are killing me! I'm going to wear my first pair tomorrow, but I'm sending my newer pair back.

Yes, I know how that can happen. Sorry that it happened to you!

I think that they must use a cheaper factory to make shoes that they sell online. Same thing happened to me.