Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 18:50
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 241/225/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default What "exactly is" Paleo?

How is it different than atkins or any other low carb plan? I have been hearing so much about Paleo, can someone please give me specifics??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 19:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Probably the best place to start is with google:

http://googleitfor.me/?q=what+is+the+paleo+diet

Then if you have any questions we can try to answer them!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 00:34

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Google searches may just confuse you. The paleo diet was pretty simple but there are a whole load of really annoying people out there now, who seem hell bent on making it complicated (not so much on this site I have to say!). Some of them want to think they are on a paleo diet when they are not and they are very keen to tell you what they think paleo has "evolved" into and they want you to be eating the same as they do. There are also authors selling books that are watered down versions of paleo* to sell to the masses and I think it is them that are causing the confusion.

Paleo is basically meat, fish, eggs, nuts, fruits and vegetables that can be eaten raw (you can cook them if you want). Vegetables that need to be cooked to make them digestible are usually considered not paleo.
No milk or grain products.

Some people eat very low carb paleo and other people eat higher carb paleo. It's a good idea to experiment to find what suits you and your situation.

*Some watered down versions of paleo seem to suit some people and I have no problem with that. I just dont consider them paleo.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 07:57
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
Google searches may just confuse you. The paleo diet was pretty simple but there are a whole load of really annoying people out there now, who seem hell bent on making it complicated (not so much on this site I have to say!). Some of them want to think they are on a paleo diet when they are not and they are very keen to tell you what they think paleo has "evolved" into and they want you to be eating the same as they do. There are also authors selling books that are watered down versions of paleo* to sell to the masses and I think it is them that are causing the confusion.

Paleo is basically meat, fish, eggs, nuts, fruits and vegetables that can be eaten raw (you can cook them if you want). Vegetables that need to be cooked to make them digestible are usually considered not paleo.
No milk or grain products.

Some people eat very low carb paleo and other people eat higher carb paleo. It's a good idea to experiment to find what suits you and your situation.

*Some watered down versions of paleo seem to suit some people and I have no problem with that. I just dont consider them paleo.

Thank you! I 'had" googled paleo many times, and like you said only got confused and this is why I posted the question. One site said white rice was acceptable, and some others say cooked sweet potatoes are okay in moderation.
What about fats? Which ones are okay?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 12:11

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Animal fats are ideal- lard, tallow, fish oil, etc.

Some people eat butter or clarified butter, ghee

Coconut oil is great.

Olive oil is okay.

The main difference between paleo and atkins is that Paleo is a whole foods diet, whereas Atkins tends to be a whole foods diet but can also include highly processed foods.

Another subtle difference is the motivation behind going on the diet. People pursue the paleo diet to get healthy. People go on Atkins to lose weight. Like I said, subtle difference.

Here is a great blog that talks about a version of the paleo diet, called "Primal," and breaks it down for beginners:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 02:32

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysoda
Some people eat butter or clarified butter, ghee
There's that confusion again. Milk products are not paleo.

Mark Sisson isn't paleo either.

Like I said before "Some watered down versions of paleo seem to suit some people and I have no problem with that. I just dont consider them paleo."
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 06:41

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 213/171.6/150 Male 70 (inches)
BF:31%/24%/22%
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
There's that confusion again. Milk products are not paleo.

Mark Sisson isn't paleo either.

Like I said before "Some watered down versions of paleo seem to suit some people and I have no problem with that. I just dont consider them paleo."

True enough in a technical sense, Warren, but some 80% of Europeans (and Americans of European descent) have specific genetic adaptations to milk (Lactace Persistence). Conversely, we do not have homologous specific adaptions to grains, legumes and potatoes. (We 'tolerate' them, yes, but we are not specifically adapted to them.)

If the defining characteristic of "Paleo" is that we should consume a diet of the foods we are genetically adapted to eat, then for many of us milk can be part of that diet.

Twinkies are still totally out of there...
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 09:25
Experimenter

BF:

Paleos would argue that lactose isn't the only factor that determines whether milk is good for you or not. Casein and various hormones that cows produce to turn a wee calf into a very, very large bovine are the issue.

Personally, I digest lactose fine, but I still have issues with dairy like: sinus congestion and post-nasal drip, joint aches, muscle spasms and breaking out in zits.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 16:37
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for your help...Now...I just read on another thread that someone eat Fage Yogurt...thought that was NOT Primal...more confusion!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 17:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Loren Cordain, in his newest book, the Paleo Answer, has a 30 page chapter on all the many reasons not to eat dairy, and the bottom line is Avoid Dairy Products. But Sisson included fermented dairy products in his Primal approach or as some call it "Swiss Paleo". A good way to test is do a Whole30 elimination diet and see how you feel when you add dairy back. But I don't get hung up on these minor differences....just eating real food is a huge positive step from SAD and the processed products allowed on some low carb diets.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 20:13
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erialicia
Thank you for your help...Now...I just read on another thread that someone eat Fage Yogurt...thought that was NOT Primal...more confusion!

People who still eat dairy but otherwise feel they're paleo call themselves Primal. People who don't eat dairy or grains generally call themselves Paleo. At least, that's how the current labeling seems to go.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 21:28

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 213/171.6/150 Male 70 (inches)
BF:31%/24%/22%
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
People who still eat dairy but otherwise feel they're paleo call themselves Primal. People who don't eat dairy or grains generally call themselves Paleo. At least, that's how the current labeling seems to go.

Ah, so that's the difference. Like many LC newbies I am more often than not confused by the many sects of LC...
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 02:35

I've heard that phrased as "Paleos who can't bring themselves to give up dairy" are Primal . Because well, cheese, cream and Greek yogurt are just too darn tasty and make cooking so much easier, precisely why I have Primal listed in my plan.
It's a philosophy of eating real unprocessed foods, not an historical re-enactment.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 07:37
Registered Member

BF:

thanks for the help again... even though my head is spinning
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 08:17

Erialcia, don't get hung up on the labels. I do both Low Carb and Primal. You can easily work out what is best for your body just by observing how you react.
Or as Sean Croxon says, JERF, Just Eat Real Food.