Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: 4 corners
Stats: 203/190/135 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress:

thanks to all of you who have replied to my last post. im doing ok but i understand about the derailing....will try to overcome that feeling of running back for comfort with food. huskergram, didnt you feel disloyal to your other pet when you went and got the new puppy? how long did you wait? i,m not putting you down at all, i just feel i should wait, but my house is soooo empty now. anyway, a battle we all have to wage i guess, getting over grief and keeping off the weight too. anyway, thanks to all who replied and i will let you know how its going.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 22:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

had a little better day today, kept it under 60 carbs today and i feel nice and full tonight...tried to think better thought about my little dog, he had 10 good years and one bad night, i guess i should be so lucky. anyway, i am also on petloss.com and they are all so nice too. so, will continue on. thx for the replies everyone, i appreciate it more than you know.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 10:58

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Dottido,

Just read your post on the loss of Rusty. I know just how your feel. I too, seem to gravitate to food when I am hit broadside like that. Something that has been in my makeup, my entire life. Don't know why I'm this way.

Pets are such an important part of our lives! Give yourself the time you need and do what others have suggested. Your new pet is NOT replacing Rusty, its the next chapter of your life and has its purpose.

I still get weepy over the loss of my cat Geano. But my new one, Scooter makes me laugh and happy in a different way. He has his own place now in my heart...right along side my Geano.

I think being part of this forum will help you get on and stay on track. This place has been part of my life on and off the past 11 to 12 years. Many times my friends here have helped me and didn't even know it. ( I'm not so good at posting).

Hang in there! Life will get better!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 08:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

thx for that reply tba gram, it is amazing how many kind people are out there. i am doing ok, it is a slow process for sure. as far as the lowcarb thing, thats going ok too. hopefully it will be more longterm for me this time.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 21:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 181/175/150 Female 5'  9"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiedo
had a little better day today, kept it under 60 carbs today and i feel nice and full tonight...tried to think better thought about my little dog, he had 10 good years and one bad night, i guess i should be so lucky. anyway, i am also on petloss.com and they are all so nice too. so, will continue on. thx for the replies everyone, i appreciate it more than you know.

On the loss of your beloved Rusty..I am sorry to hear. I don't have advice on your diet. But, when I lost my little boy yorkie that I loved more than anything. I suffered so much because my husband thought I should wait to get a new dog..to mourn properly and all that.

I couldn't wait the three months he "thought" would be good. As soon as I picked out my new little boy -- the hole in my heart was filled and the joy came back into my life. In fact, he is a lot like my little one I lost.

I say follow your heart.. wait if you can't bear the thought of a new pet.. but don't wait just for appearances sake..a new dog will help heal and fill your heart.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 10:42
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

thankyou so much for the advice..i have come to feel that i will know if the time is right. just taking it a day at a time, as the saying goes. i have a couple of "rental" dogs, (my grandsons 2 dogs) that i can take on a walk and they can visit at my house. but no dog is MY dog and as long as i feel that way, i will wait. thx again for your thoughts.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 22:35
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

so hello again, im losing, slowly but surely. i'd rather be losing slowly and stay on this than to go down to 20 carbs a day and lose fast but not be able to do it for a lifetime. have any of you tried the eat fat get thin plan with barry groves? just wondering, if so, is it working for you?
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-12, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: The Vegetarian Low-Carb
Stats: 187/149/144 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Stick to your plan and be patient with yourself

I think you were doing great on your first plan before Rusty died. Have you considered getting a new friend? I lost one of my babies suddenly and we ended up getting another dog within a month. Too fast! Or so I thought. She melted my heart in about a month.

And added benefit is that a new dog would be distraction for you. You need to get the routine down, to walk them (and if it's a younger dog, maybe walk them longer), train them and just adjust to a new presence in your life.

Most of all be patient with yourself!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 06:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 181/175/150 Female 5'  9"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase
Sorry for your loss. As to carb plans, if VLC isn't for you (it wasn't for me), try calorie restriction in addition to LC. I use the free MyFitnessPal app to track what I eat. At 180 to 270g of carbs a day I lost weight each week...by sticking to the daily calories.

That wasn't low carb at all...but it shows that carbs aren't the only way to lose weight. I started back to LC thinking a month ago and am down to 90-180 g a day now. Still losing weight.

Since reading this post..I have done this also... I love mfp...and I am finding calorie restriction is necessary for me to lose weight. I didn't lose a thing after a month on Atkins induction.
On mft, I've lose 7 pounds..have yet to weigh in this week..so most likely a little more. I am concluding that low carb doesn't really factor into me losing weight. It does for improving my mood and other benefits. I've lost at a normal rate for calorie restriction...my carbs have been very low like 20-30 net most days..some days over but never over 60.
Now, I'm adding carbs back in...going to calorie cycle and carb cycle too..keep the body guessing. I am starting to think a calorie is a calorie..
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-12, 22:03
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

all this can be confusing, counting calories is just so hard! ww, same thing.....trying to be sensible and try to stay away from the "bad" carbs as much as possible. have added a few beans now, i,m definately not losing fast but i am losing. still miss my rusty and strangely, cant get another dog as yet. i,m kind of afraid so....not time.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 20:38
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

hi havent posted for a very long time. since i posted ive been trying very hard to keep going on my program. sort have been carb cycling, doing the "life with no bread" program: allows 72 carbs a day so i do that 3 days, then allow myself 100 carbs for two days, then back to 72. i feel really good and am losing weight, slowly but surely. best of all, i found not one, but TWO little friends; Gus, 2 year old shih-tzu and little ginny, mixed breed, maybe pekinese and pappillion and they keep me very busy. i go on two walks a day with them and the treadmill 30 minutes a day so that helps too. so, my best to you all out there. by the way, i will never forget my rusty; i console myself knowing he had a good life and i have his ashes in a beautiful little tribute box..
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 21:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations, Dottie, on your find of a way to eat that is good for you and the addition of your new friends!
As for Rusty, we do not stop grieving, we learn to live around it. He will always be a part of you.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-12, 03:43
Registered Member

Plan: Experimenting
Stats: 181/181/126 Female 5 3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi, I thought I should leave this forum because I had thrown the towel in on low carb - liked the way of eating but just wasn't losing any weight.

Started increasing carbs, but watching calories but, surprisingly, when I logged into fitday I am rarely hitting a 100g per day, usually around 65-70 carbs so, still, pretty much low carb but without any food restrictions - I may eat a sandwich lunchtime or have porridge for breakfast and sometimes
milk chocolate as a treat but I keep my calories to below 1400 and less each day.

This week I'm going to substitute more of my protein for carbs just to see what happens. I have managed to lose some weight with increasing carbs so I think, for whatever reason, I stall on vlc or zero carb.

I've given up on following a 'plan' too and just use as much information as I can from various experts and you guys and experiment with what works for me.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-12, 09:34
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

thx for replying you guys...yes, some things just dont work for some of us. i find if i can just have a little potato or an apple every third day, maybe a wholegrain toast with my eggs, i'm just happier. i do rfealize that some are truly addicted to carbs and that would set them off on an eating binge but for some reason, i can keep it under the amount i am aimimg for. on my 100 gram days, i plan on having a small piece of cheesecake (made with splenda and no crust) and a xmas cookie now and then, also made with splenda. the thing i liked about "life without bread" is that it is more relaxed , especially for seniors and right away, i relaxed, knowing it wasnt so severe and would still be good for my health. funny how the mind is such a huge part of this....
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-12, 18:38

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I don't think a calorie is a calorie. I just think, at this point anyway, that both macro nutrient composition and energy deficit are in play. One can focus only on the carbs and lose weight under many but not all situations. The same is true about calories.

I think that even carb restrictors will have scenarios where they should consider calories. And vice versa