Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 12:09
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Does glucomannan have a taste or does it pick up taste from the other ingredients?

Last edited by CarolynC : Mon, Apr-23-12 at 12:39.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 10:14
Getting Healthy!

BF:

In his book, Dr. Johnson recommended low carb meal replacement shakes for some of the initial down days. I bought a carton of the Atkins Day Break banana strawberry shakes at Wal-Mart on Sunday. I'd had the Atkins Advantage shakes occasionally in the past, but never the Day Break. I bought the Day Break (even though they were more expensive) because they had screw caps. and the book said that you might want to take sips of the shake over time.

I was a little hungry this morning and the shake stopped my hunger well. Plus, it was easy--no prep. I liked the banana strawberry taste, but it was too sweet. It made me wish that there was liquid anti-sweetener that I could use a drop of to tone down the sweetness. The Atkins Advantages shakes that I've had have never been this sweet. I also bought a carton of the Atkins Day Break chocolate shakes. I hope they aren't so sweet.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 11:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm going to need to try my gelatin shakes again. Lots of good protein in them and it was very filling.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 11:09
Getting Healthy!

BF:

How do you make a gelatin shake? I still have a couple of cans of Knox unsweetened gelatin from when I was on a gelatin kick last year.

I've been thinking about making the shakes from Dr. Eades' "6-Week Cure." (I was so into those for a while that I bought an Oster shake mixer.) I just haven't gotten around to looking up the recipe.

Last edited by CarolynC : Tue, Apr-24-12 at 14:19.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 12:00
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
Does glucomannan have a taste or does it pick up taste from the other ingredients?

Gluc is flavorless really. Though I think it has a fishy smell in the bag. But once I mix it with other flavorings, the other flavoring is all I can taste. Nothing fishy smelling or tasting about it in recipes. it's pricey (about $19 a bag at Netrition.com, but you only use 1/2-1 tsp in a recipe, so it'll last me a very, VERY long time. they say it does wonders for baked goods.....fluffs them up. I'm finding it really does, too. Have tried a bit in pancake and muffin batters and they noticeably rise taller while baking than those done without it.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 13:29
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Thanks for the info on gluc, Buttoni. I've ordered some from Netrition. I didn't realize that it would raise baked goods since they seems to be the opposite of thickening. I'll give it a try on my 3-minute devil's food cake, too.

Last edited by CarolynC : Tue, Apr-24-12 at 13:48.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 13:43
Getting Healthy!

BF:

I've been reading the blog of a 50ish woman calling herself Mardy Roux about her experiences with her own modified version of JUDDD:

http://winningtheobesitybattle.wordpress.com/

She developed several phases (at least 6) and phase 1 was set day fasting (fasting Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) at 500 calories with up days the rest of the week. In phase 1, which was one month long, she only had liquid calories during the down days. Her reasoning was that this eliminated chewing on the down days and therefore helped to take her focus off of food. I may give this a try next week. (I made a big pot of chicken vegetable soup for my down days this week and it's good so I want to finish it first.)

In her phase 2, she went to alternate day fasting and added solid foods for the down days. By phase 5, her diet had morphed to something referred to as a "healthy eating" without JUDDD. The frustrating thing about the blog is that it just suddenly ends in October 2010. She never gets around to discussing phases 3, 4, 5, or 6. She'd lost 50 or more pounds by following JUDDD in her phases of 1 and 2. Did she fall off the diet wagon? Did she get hit by a truck? Did life interfere with her time for blogging? There's no indication of what happened, but she seemed to have been doing well and to have interesting things to say before the blog abruptly ends.

Last edited by CarolynC : Sat, Apr-28-12 at 19:57.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 06:11
Getting Healthy!

BF:

This may be linked here already but, if so, I've missed it. It's a 2009 Daily Mail article on JUDDD entitled "Feast or famine: The diet that won't just help you lose weight, you'll live longer and be brainier!"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...r-brainier.html

Since newspaper links eventually tend to disappear, I'm also putting the text here:

Quote:
As all dieters will know, there is nothing more tedious than counting calories or weighing foods for a meal plan. Especially if you then don't lose weight.

But there's now an effective weight-loss regimen that is not only simple, it promises significant health benefits - from easing asthma symptoms and reducing blood sugar levels, to fending off heart disease and breast cancer and protecting brain cells. Apparently, you'll also live longer.

The diet goes under various names - The Alternate-Day Diet, Intermittent Fasting or The Longevity Diet - but the principle is the same: eat very little one day (50 per cent of your normal intake) and as much as you like the next.

This appears to trigger a 'skinny' gene that encourages the body to burn fat.

Researchers first discovered the benefits of low-calorie eating in the Thirties. They found that putting a rat - or a worm, or a fruit fly or just about any animal, as it turned out - on a permanent very low calorie diet helped the animal live about 30 per cent longer than normal.

The animal had clearer arteries, lower levels of inflammation, better blood sugar control and its brain cells were less likely to get damaged. Meanwhile, rates of diseases linked to ageing all dropped.

But while scientists have known for years that animals on a low-calorie diet were healthier, no human - except a few iron-willed fanatics - could permanently stick to this regime.

The big breakthrough came in 2003 when Dr Mark Mattson, an American neuroscientist, discovered rats still enjoyed all those health benefits even when their calories were cut only on alternate days.

In other words, you don't have to starve yourself all the time.

This was a crucial discovery, because the diet suddenly became a realistic option. In particular, it is far more palatable for the obese. The standard diet for them involves a daily intake of between 20 per cent and 40 per cent of what they would normally have.

'These are very hard diets to follow,' says Krista Varady, assistant professor of kinesiology and nutrition at the University of Illinois, Chicago.

You are constantly hungry. The eat-every-other-day-diet seems to offer an easier and more effective option.'

She's just published the results of a ten-week trial of 16 patients, all weighing more than 14st.

They ate 20 per cent of their normal intake one day and a regular, healthy diet the next. Each lost between 10lb and 30lb; much more than the 5lb or 6lb expected.

'It takes about two weeks to adjust to the diet and, after that, people don't feel hungry on the fast days,' says Varady.

Dr James Johnson, author of The Alternate-Day Diet, and a lecturer in plastic surgery, has now been doing the diet for five years.

'I've always been a bit overweight. When I first started, I lost 35lb in 11 weeks.

'Now I use the diet to keep my weight stable. If it starts going up, I'll just go back on it for a few weeks. The evidence says this is about the most healthy thing you can do for yourself.'

One specific health benefit is relieving the symptoms of asthma - and that's not just because the patients have lost weight.

A small study of ten obese asthmatics found that after eight weeks they'd lost eight per cent of their body weight; their symptoms of the disease had also greatly improved.

The study, conducted by Dr Johnson with scientists from the National Institute on Ageing (including Dr Mattson) and Stamford University, showed patients had less inflammation in their lungs, making it easier for them to breathe.

They also had lower levels of damaging free radicals - the substances we produce simply by eating and breathing - which have been linked with heart disease and cancer.

'The level of inflammation was down by 70 per cent and the level of free radicals by 90 per cent,' says Dr Johnson. 'No other dietary approach to asthma has recorded anything like that benefit.'

About two weeks after coming off the diet the patients' symptoms began to return.

Meanwhile, British researchers are now looking at the benefits of the diet in preventing breast cancer in highrisk patients.

'We've found a very low 800 calories-a- day diet dramatically lowers the enzymes that metabolise fat and glucose in breast tissue,' says Dr Michelle Harvie, of the Genesis Breast Cancer Prevention Centre in Manchester. 'These enzymes are always raised in breast cancer patients.'

When Dr Matteson made his discovery, it wasn't clear exactly why very low calorie diets had such an effect on health and lifespan.

But in the past couple of years it's emerged that a specific gene - SIRT1 - might explain the diet's success; it seems the sudden, sharp stress of a big drop in food intake triggers this 'skinny' gene. 'This then blocks another gene involved in storing fat,' explains Dr Johnson.

'The body starts using up more of the fat stores. As a result you lose more weight than you would from just eating fewer calories.'

The SIRT1 gene also seems to be responsible for all the benefits of semi-starvation found in animals - the drop in inflammation, lower blood sugar levels - as Dr Mattson and others reported this year in the journal Brain Research Reviews.

Perhaps not surprisingly, drug companies are working hard to develop medicines that imitate some of the diet's effects by targeting the SIRT1 gene.

The weight-loss benefit could also be due to the way the diet tricks your body's metabolism.

The problem with most diets is that after 48-to-72 hours this slows to compensate for the drop in food.

When you stop the diet and eat normally, the weight goes back on faster, as you're eating more than your body thinks it needs to function.

The alternate day diet seems to get round that because it allows normal eating as well.

'We've run trials that haven't found any reduction in metabolic rate when people are on the alternate day diet,' says Dr Johnson.

How it works doesn't matter to many people - the internet is already buzzing with those who claim dieting on alternate days has made weight loss easier.

One woman writing on a U.S-based website found that very little of the weight she'd lost went back on.

'At the end of 2008 I lost 15lb and then I stopped the diet. Nine months later, in October, I'd only put on 2lb.

'By the end of that month I'd lost what I'd gained and another 7.5lb. It is gone forever! Woohoo.'

Another described how the not eating days - described as 'down' days - are actually the easiest ones to manage.

'It's strangely true, but down days are a lot easier to stick to than the up days. I haven't cheated on them once.

'It really does work knowing you can "have it" tomorrow. It's the eating days you have to be careful with as it would be quite easy to go over the top.'

Yet some British experts are concerned about the approach. 'We advise anyone trying to lose weight should follow a healthy balanced diet,' said a spokesperson for the Food Standards Agency.

'It may not be possible to achieve this with very low calorie diets.'

However, Catherine Collins, spokesperson for the British Dietetic Association, was more enthusiastic about the weightloss benefits.

'It sounds absolutely fine,' she says 'It would certainly make it easier to stick to a weight-loss programme, although I'd want to be sure people got enough fibre and protein and that they didn't starve and binge in a fanatical way.'

However, she is sceptical about the health benefits being triggered by the SIRT1 gene.

'We know weight loss has all sorts of metabolic benefits,' she says.

'That is probably what is going on rather than one gene being responsible.'

The big question now is to find the best schedule of eating and fasting that will bring the benefits and be the easiest to stick to. Alternate-day dieting has made the breakthrough, but it is only one option.

'At the moment we are studying the benefits of having just two fasting days a week when you have very few calories, then eating normally for the rest of the week,' says Dr Harvie.

'Some form of fasting regime is definitely the way to go to get big health benefits. It just needs more research.'

• For more, visit: www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/index.html

THE SIMPLE RULES YOU NEED TO FOLLOW

For the first fortnight Dr Johnson suggests you stick to just 500 calories on the fasting days to make sure you trigger the skinny gene (to make certain of your intake, try pre-packaged shakes or meal replacements).

After that, you can eat regular food on the fasting days. How much depends on your goal. Up to 35 per cent of your recommended daily intake will help you lose weight. Eating 50 or 60 per cent should allow you to maintain your weight.

You can eat as much as you want on the alternate days, but don't binge. Make sure you have fruit and vegetables. It's important to enjoy these days to avoid getting fed up with being on a diet.

Drink plenty of water and exercise regularly, especially on the eating days. Weigh yourself only once a week, on the morning after a fasting day, so you won't become frustrated by normal weight variations.

Last edited by CarolynC : Wed, Apr-25-12 at 07:38.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 06:55
Getting Healthy!

BF:

My scale was down again this morning and I'm very happy. I know it won't continue, but I'm going to celebrate (without food ) while it does. It feels good to have a fairly "easy" fast weight loss after 10 years of sporadic slow weight loss on low carb and earlier years of almost no weight loss on low fat. I believe I've lost weight slowly due to to insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, menopause, emotional eating, stress, and my like of food .

For the first 13 weeks of this year (91 days), I ate less than 50 g net carbs per day and lost a total of 6.8 pounds. For the past 10 days on JUDDD, I've averaged about 45 g net carbs per day (almost the same) and lost 6.2 pounds.

And, I've almost lost the same amount on JUDDD as I did on a miserable round of hcg drops last year.

I’m going to summarize my experiences of hcg (spring of 2011) versus JUDDD (spring of 2012). In both cases, I was eating low carb (15-50 g net carbs per day) long-term before beginning the program and during the program.

hcg -
Supplements - homeopathic hcg drops multiple times a day
Calories - about 500 each day
Starting weight (pre-load) - 185.8 lbs
Weight after 10 days on program - 178.8 lbs
Weight lost in 10 days - 7.0 lbs
Weight when I stopped the drops after a total of 21 days - 175.6 lbs (10.2 lbs total)
Feelings - There was hunger but it wasn’t too bad the first week (after the load days), plus the big initial weight loss was very motivating. By the third week when weight loss had slowed to a crawl and hunger increased, it was hard to continue (but I did without cheating). However, I started two additional hcg rounds later in the spring and summer and aborted them each after a week because I didn’t want to do it anymore.

JUDDD -
Supplements - 200-mg of trans-resveratrol twice a day
Calories - about 700 on down days, alternating with about 2200 on up days
Starting weight - 184.2 lbs
Weight after 10 days on the program - 178.0 lbs
Weight lost in 10 days - 6.2 lbs
Longer term - We shall see, but I’m very optimistic
Feelings - Very little hunger on down days (and, of course, none on up days) and each successive down day is getting easier. So far, JUDDD has been very easy to follow. I feel lighter and more energized.

Your mileage may vary. For me, weight came slightly faster for the first ten days with hcg, but JUDDD is so much more enjoyable. I believe that JUDDD will be sustainable for me. If I were looking for a way to jump-start weight loss, I’d at least give JUDDD a try before going to hcg.

Last edited by CarolynC : Wed, Apr-25-12 at 08:13.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 11:30
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
How do you make a gelatin shake? I still have a couple of cans of Knox unsweetened gelatin from when I was on a gelatin kick last year.

I've been thinking about making the shakes from Dr. Eades' "6-Week Cure." (I was so into those for a while that I bought an Oster shake mixer.) I just haven't gotten around to looking up the recipe.

Well, I'm still trying to figure out the best way. It's trick since too much gelatin and it turns into jello when cold

I've been softening the geletin on cold water then heating it briefly in the micro. You have to be careful not to boil it because it'll boil over and make a mess.

Then I pour it into my other ingredients and blend.

I don't suggest doing what I did yesterday... adding a whole hard boiled egg. Even with strawberries and sweetener it still tasted like hard boiled egg.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 12:15
Getting Healthy!

BF:

I was curious about how you kept the gelatin from jellying. It seems tricky.

I used to add a raw egg to my shakes in the 6-Week Cure, but I can't imagine using a hard boiled egg.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 13:15
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah... my thought was it would thicken the shake with it's yolk. And it did... but it also has a very pronounced flavor. A softer cooked egg, sous vide style, would work better.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 06:32
Experimenter

BF:

All right. I'm going to give Atkins shakes a try. I'll take some HB eggs and a couple of those shakes to work and see if I can't keep closer to 500 calories than I have been. I decided I need to be more serious about this because I'm failing miserably!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Apr-26-12 at 06:42.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 06:36
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Good luck, Nancy!

Quote:
I also bought a carton of the Atkins Day Break chocolate shakes. I hope they aren't so sweet.

I had a Day Break chocolate shake this morning. It's not as sweet as the Day Break strawberry banana but still a little sweeter than I'd like and sweeter than the Atkins Advantage chocolate shakes. But, I do like the screw cap on the Day Break containers.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 10:44
Keepin' It Real

Plan: IF
Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Subscribing ...

I had my first DD yesterday. It was easy and satisfying. I'm really intrigued with this approach. It seems like a brilliant way to lose some final pounds, but, even more intriguing, a workable way to maintain long-term or possibly forever. (Wouldn't that be a welcome relief!? )

I've been reading through some of the threads over at Low Carb Friends, and this seems to have a pretty huge and successful following there.