Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Paleo/Atkins/IF
Stats: 178.4/151/130 Female 5'5"
BF:28%/24.9%/20%
Progress: 57%
Question I love fried eggs, but.....

I can't eat them without bread because I can't stand the texture of egg white. I have to have that crunch of a piece of toast with it to get me past gagging.

I'm doing the paleo diet, so grains are out. Does anyone have a good recipe for paleo bread? I've tried the almond flour/flax seed and it's horrible! And too dense!

Good recipe for a decent piece of toast???? Anyone????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 14:36

Plan: SBR/Atkins
Stats: 154/135.5/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 77%

You didn't like the Mr. Peanut Sandwich bread? I've had this made with macadamia and almond butters and it was quite good, I thought (though dense, yes!)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 15:26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
You didn't like the Mr. Peanut Sandwich bread?

Probably not for eating with fried eggs but it sure looks good for muffins!!! Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 16:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, if you're looking for an exact replacement to bread, you'll be disappointed, but if you can be a bit flexible there are loads of alternatives.

I love this almond flour biscuit: http://www.healthyindulgences.net/2...e-biscuits.html

I'd also make something like almond/flax/coconut flour pancakes (pick your grain substitute). They're incredibly easy to make and you can freeze them! Use that to sop up your eggs.

Or you could always try another way of eating eggs. I just made steamed eggs today for the first time... they're awesome!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 06:04
Registered Member

Default Paleo breads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Well, if you're looking for an exact replacement to bread, you'll be disappointed, but if you can be a bit flexible there are loads of alternatives.

Exact replacement, no. But something lighter than a brick that can be toasted, yeah! lol Maybe the biscuit recipe will work. Or pancake. Those would HAVE TO BE LIGHTER than that almond/flax brick I made. I swear, that thing was so dense and heavy, it could break a window!

I'm new to this Paleo stuff, live out in the boonies and am unemployed. That's the whole reason I'm doing Paleo - because I lost my job and that means I can't afford my insulin anymore. So I'll have to wait to order some coconut flour and once I do, I'll try the pancake or biscuit recipe using that flour.

Thanks!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 05:30
Registered Member

Exclamation Oopsie Bread - that's the ticket!!!

Yay!!!!!

This does the trick!!! Now I can have all the fried eggs I want! lol
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 08:50
Experimenter

BF:

Which did you make and like? I love that almond flour biscuit recipe, but unfortunately nuts are really hard on my gut.

Usually using plenty of egg and baking soda/powder will lighten things up. They both poof things up.

If you don't mind being a little off-paleo, peanut flour is often not terribly expensive compared to almond flour or coconut flour. Coconut flour has drawbacks too, but I've made some good sweet breads from it (coconut walnut cranberry bread).
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 09:52
Registered Member

Default Hey, Nancy LC, I went with the oopsie bread!

Quote:
Which did you make and like? I love that almond flour biscuit recipe, but unfortunately nuts are really hard on my gut.

Usually using plenty of egg and baking soda/powder will lighten things up. They both poof things up.

If you don't mind being a little off-paleo, peanut flour is often not terribly expensive compared to almond flour or coconut flour. Coconut flour has drawbacks too, but I've made some good sweet breads from it (coconut walnut cranberry bread).

I like the oopsie bread - mainly because I can get the ingredients locally and because it is lighter than the brick I made. lol Now that I've found that recipe, I doubt I'll even try the coconut flour recipes. Can add all sorts of things to the oopsie, just like the heavy breads, so can make pizzas, muffins, etc. with it too - down the road, if I get bored.

All I really wanted, though, is bread for my fried eggs maybe 2-3 times a week. Other than that, I'm pretty good with eating Paleo. I do, however, eat cheeses and use HWC in my coffee. If down the road those appear to be an issue (so far so good), I'll drop them too...but then I guess I'll have to go with Yerba Mate for my hot drink cause I REFUSE to drink black coffee

Also, something I've learned....the smell of coconut gags me too! I've never liked coconut on/in anything but thought the coconut oil that has that smell would be okay - NOT! I'm guessing the coconut flour probably smells like coconut.

so OOPSIE IT IS!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 10:06
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, sounds like coconut flour isn't a good choice for you! The coconut flour smells a little like coconut. It is pretty neutral in taste though, at least the Aloha Nu brand is.

You might look into peanut flour at some point, since you're not super-strict paleo. It smells like peanut.

Those almond meal biscuits I posted are totally awesome. You should try those if you have almond flour/meal on hand.

Oh yeah, make sure your baking powder is good. If it gets too old it can keep your stuff from rising.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 14:27
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, make sure your baking powder is good. If it gets too old it can keep your stuff from rising.

Used up the last of my almond flour on those bricks!

I had no idea baking powder could get too old to work! Thanks for that! I enjoyed my fried eggs this morning with the oopsie bread. It was kinda....um....spongy. But it is do-able!

I try to stay away from peanuts. Read lots of bad things like fungus amongus or something. Won't hurt me to avoid them.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 05:20

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 215/215/220 Male 194
BF:
Progress:

Have you heard of the paleo chia peta almond bread? I will have a search for the recipe and try and post it!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-12, 08:22
Registered Member

Default I found it! Well, I made it!!! Bread I can stand forever!!!

Okay, I tried oopsie rolls for awhile. Didn't take long before they made me gag too. So then I tried the microwave style of flax bread with the butter, egg, baking powder, flax and salt. Why would that smell like fish?!??!?! And...it was as heavy as my bricks made of flax, so it was a no go too. Bummer. But....it gave me an idea...AND I LOVE MY IDEA!!! I could eat this plain - as a matter of fact I did this morning!!!!

All I did was kinda tweak the microwave flax bread by lowering the flax and adding some vanilla protein whey powder and using (scentless and needed less) coconut oil instead of butter. Man, that thing came out thick enough to make 3 slices and OMG is it good...and LIGHT! And it even toasts up nicely for use with my fried eggs! I am so in HEAVEN RIGHT NOW!!!! It's PERFECT - right weight, right taste, decent texture, 2 carbs!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-25-12, 21:14

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaura57
I can't eat them without bread because I can't stand the texture of egg white. I have to have that crunch of a piece of toast with it to get me past gagging.

I'm doing the paleo diet, so grains are out. Does anyone have a good recipe for paleo bread? I've tried the almond flour/flax seed and it's horrible! And too dense!

Good recipe for a decent piece of toast???? Anyone????

Well this might not be a solution for you but I thought I would bring it up.

If you put heavy whipping cream in an omelet you can crisp the outsides of the omelet very well. It is not like a normal omelet where you just get a hard-ish thin layer of crackly nasty egg if you over-cook it. Think the texture of browned/burnt cheese.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-25-12, 21:22

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

I was thinking along the exact same lines when I first started to read this thread in March, euphoricme...

In my head at the time was: "I hate the texture of egg whites too... so when I fry my eggs,... I just make sure....... to BURN 'EM really, really, really well!!! "

The best part is... this is not even meant to be a funny!!! It's true!! And it TOTALLY works on making the whites non-gag-inducing!

pfffffft!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-25-12, 22:27

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Not into the egg whites either... that's why I usually make scrambled eggs and fry them up in some butter. If I want some crunch, I add some red bell pepper.