Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 16:02

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

It's tough having to adjust to life as a new mom with a brand new little one, I'm sorry to hear things are going this way for you, especially with all the time you are putting in pumping! Just a couple things to consider... a pump doesn't remove milk the same way a baby suckles and is not always indicative of how much milk your body is producing, babies are usually much more efficient at removing milk, although a tie or bad latch could prevent effective suckling, and a clip could make a lot of difference.

Something else is the use of a Supplemental Nutrition System (SNS). The baby is still feeding at the breast but receives nutrition through a tiny tube at the same time. This is extremely useful for situations where mom needs the stimulation to lactate (or relactate). Usually after a period of time the use of the SNS can be discontinued.

I am sure your situation is very stressful, and hope everything turns out for the best for you and your new growing family so you can relax and spend more time enjoying your baby's early moments.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 05:14

Plan: Cambridge diet
Stats: 275/220/155 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi everyone - How are you all getting on? I'm now 4 weeks pregnant! Sooo early but very very happy - is there anyone else in here in the early stages?

Good luck to those who are due to have their babies soon!
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 17:05

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hey wildone congrats!!! How's first trimester going? I had a hard time getting ANYTHING done!! All I wanted to do was sleep!!

I'm 34 weeks now with the blood pressure and diabetes still under control. I have my next appointment on Friday. I thought it was stupid to take the glucose test but I'm glad I did. Even with a vlc diet my body can't deal with the fasting levels at night and I have to take a small dose pill.
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-12, 07:48

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Congrats, Wildeone!!!! That is such exciting news!!!

Jill, I'm sorry for all you have had to go thru with BFing. I went thru the same thing with Jaxon and it was incredibly emotional. I ended up pumping, pumping, pumping til I just couldn't anymore cause I wasn't increasing my supply. I tried every herb, technique, etc. I hope things work out for you.

Kaylakala, wow, you're in the home stretch now, girl!!
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-12, 19:35

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

I returned the breast pump I rented from the hospital today. We are officially 100% formula feeding. It's heartbreaking, but I know it's way more of an issue for me than for baby! I am pleased that baby's poops have been green and seedy/grainy in texture, which I've read is common for breastfed babies - makes me feel like at least the formula I've chosen is acting similarly to breastmilk for him. We're using Gerber Good Start Protect, which contains all the usual good stuff (iron, vit D, DHA, etc.) and also includes a probiotic. I have also ordered an additional DHA and vit D supplement that should be arriving this week tht I will add to his formula because I'm not satisfied with the amount of vit D in the formula.

I still get eotional at times over the whole breastfeeding thing, but I have to admit I'm also WAY less stressed with him on formula. I don't have to watch the clock for times to pump, can easily pack up everything needed to feed him in the diaper bag without having to worry about keeping anything cold or heating anything or using anything within a certain amount of time...I thought formula would be a huge hassle, but I atually find it way more convenient for us. I'm sure I would feel differently if breastfeeding hadn't been so completely frustrating and painful, but given the experiences I've had, formula is a godsend.

Now I just need to start working on MY diet again. I only have a few more days' worth of frozen meals left, so I'll work my way through those and then try to focus on cutting carbs again.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-12, 07:15

BF:

AW Jill big hugs to you!!! Lots of babied do very well on formula! don't beat yourself up and spend that extra time you have not pumping giving him extra attention!!
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-12, 07:20

BF:

Looks like they are going to induce me around May 15th because of the gestational diabetes and bp. My lamaze instructor thinks its stupid since there is no proof that the baby is extra large or has any issues. She is anti all interventions. I just remember that at 38 weeks I had toxemia with Rachael and it was very scary and dangerous.... any advice comments?
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-12, 09:06

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Looks like they are going to induce me around May 15th because of the gestational diabetes and bp. My lamaze instructor thinks its stupid since there is no proof that the baby is extra large or has any issues. She is anti all interventions. I just remember that at 38 weeks I had toxemia with Rachael and it was very scary and dangerous.... any advice comments?
that's over a month away. i hope that they continue to monitor, do the nst, etc. i'd be really wary of induction unless there's a really good reason. it can start a whole cascade of unnecessary interventions. ultimately though, you need to do what's best for you and your baby. it's never easy is it?
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-12, 15:12

BF:

Quote:

How many weeks will you be by then? I did not have gestational diabetes, and I'd had plenty of growth scans to know baby was not mmeasuring large, but my doc would have liked to have induced me due to my high blood pressure alone. I didn't have any other signs of preeclampsia, but I guess the risk is that preeclampsia/toxemia can come on so quickly that they'd rather sort of head it off. In the end, it's your decision - they can't induce you without your consent! I didn't let them induce me before my due date - that was my sort of compromise. If I'd still been pregnant the day AFTER my due date, I would have been induced.
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-12, 04:09

BF:

Thanks guys. No its not easy. I'm thinking the same thing about the hypertension though. It hit me hard and fast with Rachael. She was 2 weeks early and just fine except for being monitored more closely and away from me for several hours.
I was induced with both of them Bryan at my request because I wanted it to be fast. didn't do the research back then but I guess by body reacts well to the drug they give because no complications from that.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-12, 10:16

BF:

Well half a cm dialated and I'm on bed rest. It was getting too hot for me at my crossing guard job.

funny we all have these grand ideas for labor delivery and breastfeeding and so many times they don't end up the way we want. I'm just glad that our babies are okay!!
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-12, 12:53

BF:

Quote:
funny we all have these grand ideas for labor delivery and breastfeeding and so many times they don't end up the way we want. I'm just glad that our babies are okay!!

In the end, that is what matters most!

We had a pediatrician check-up this morning, and Ben is up to 8 pounds 10 ounces, almost a whole pound above his birth weight! That's a BIG weight gain considering he started out by losing too much and was still a pound below his birth weight at one week. He will be 3 weeks old tomorrow.

I got the DHA and vit D supplement I ordered today, so I'll start adding that to his formula. I am also looking into a probiotic suplement as well but haven't ordered one yet - need more research on that one.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-12, 08:02

BF:

Sounds like he's doing awesome!!! That is what matters the most!!
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-12, 08:05

BF:

Oh and last night I accidentally took 2 doses of my night time diabetes meds. My husband woke me up thank goodness at 3am and I felt awful!! My sugar levels were down to 64!! Even after a bunch of peanut butter a couple hours later it was still kinda low. I'm gonna have to get one of those boxes with the days of the week on it!!
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-12, 23:55

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

a dosette is a great idea. i'm not on any rx meds, but it really helps me to remember if i've taken my vites that day.