Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 09:23

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default All Things Babies (TTC, pregnancy, new moms, etc.)

Welcome to the March thread!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 09:31

BF:

Well, I had an OB checkup yesterday morning, and now I begin going every week. I also have to have non-stress tests every week starting next week. And I have to have yet another ultrasound. My doc says all are to keep track of things due to my type 2 diabetes. I personally think it's overkill since my diabetes is essentially in remission (woke up today to a fasting in the 80s, drank a MILKSHAKE from Chick-fil-A, and had a 2-hour post-prandial reading of 82!), but I can't say I mind all the monitoring.

Everything went well with my appointment, and they took the culture of the group B strep test. She asked if I wanted her to do a cervical check since, ya know, I was already there with my pants off! I immediately said no, and she asked why the quick response, and I explained that I Don't want ANY unnecessary poking or prodding that could even remotely potentially help speed things along because I Want him to STAY in there, preferably even a week or so PAST My due date. She laghed at me and said she's never had a patient WANT to go late before!

Also, when she told me that my urine was clean and everything looked good, I asked her to please try to find something wrong with me :P I am SO TIRED of working (uncomfortable, having a very hard time concentrating, needing naps in the afternoons, etc.), but I can't afford to take unpaid time off right now, so I've ben planning to work up until I go into labor. She said she will write me out of work if my diastolic blood pressure gets any higher (was 89 yesterday). Now, I don't want any serious medical issues, but I'm not gonna lie - I am hoping it goes up just that extra point or two by next week (and then it can just stop increasing), just enough for me to have a medical reason to start my short term diasbility early!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/196.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Just thinking Jill. Why couldnt you do something to purposely raise your BP. Not sure what things do that. Salt? Sounds horrible to actually encourage you to purposely do that. But if you knew what caused it to go up, by that reason, it ought to go back down after said appointment.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-12, 16:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndVee
Just thinking Jill. Why couldnt you do something to purposely raise your BP. Not sure what things do that. Salt? Sounds horrible to actually encourage you to purposely do that. But if you knew what caused it to go up, by that reason, it ought to go back down after said appointment.

ha, don't think I haven't thought about it! But most things that temporarily raise BP will most likely raise the systolic, not the diastolic. I did tell my OB I would be sure to gobble down a bunch of McD's right before my next appointment :P

Of course, there's also something to be said for insurance fraud, and that's not an avenue I'd like to explore!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-12, 14:20

BF:

Well, that ought to o it to get my BP up if anything will - just got a call from our realtor, and we will NOT be able to close on our house as scheduled! Something about a paperwork glitch with the title - easy fix, but requires we basically sign a whole new contract on the 16th and then have an appraisal done on the 16th and go to closing whenever the appraisal paperwork is finished. They say we "should" be able to close by the 24th - well, we damn well better, because that's the day we're MOVING IN! With me being due on the 27th, that was pushing it as it is; we really can't afford to bump it any later.

UGH.

Sorry, had to vent...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 16:45

Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean7
Well, I had an OB checkup yesterday morning, and now I begin going every week. I also have to have non-stress tests every week starting next week. And I have to have yet another ultrasound. My doc says all are to keep track of things due to my type 2 diabetes. I personally think it's overkill since my diabetes is essentially in remission (woke up today to a fasting in the 80s, drank a MILKSHAKE from Chick-fil-A, and had a 2-hour post-prandial reading of 82!), but I can't say I mind all the monitoring.

Everything went well with my appointment, and they took the culture of the group B strep test. She asked if I wanted her to do a cervical check since, ya know, I was already there with my pants off! I immediately said no, and she asked why the quick response, and I explained that I Don't want ANY unnecessary poking or prodding that could even remotely potentially help speed things along because I Want him to STAY in there, preferably even a week or so PAST My due date. She laghed at me and said she's never had a patient WANT to go late before!

Also, when she told me that my urine was clean and everything looked good, I asked her to please try to find something wrong with me :P I am SO TIRED of working (uncomfortable, having a very hard time concentrating, needing naps in the afternoons, etc.), but I can't afford to take unpaid time off right now, so I've ben planning to work up until I go into labor. She said she will write me out of work if my diastolic blood pressure gets any higher (was 89 yesterday). Now, I don't want any serious medical issues, but I'm not gonna lie - I am hoping it goes up just that extra point or two by next week (and then it can just stop increasing), just enough for me to have a medical reason to start my short term diasbility early!

Aw, Jill- You have your hands full. Take the stairs directly before your appointment an eat something salty I hope your closing goes more smoothly from here on out! I can't believe you're already in the home stretch!!!

I researched nitrates, it's the cooking that changes nitrates to the HCA (which are more dangerous). Since I only threw pepperoni on at the end (and most went directly into my mouth), I will worry about it less

Kaykaykayla: sorry to hear about your PIH and GDM. At least it's more motivational to VLC!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 16:48

BF:

I just got my husband back after him being gone for 2+ months so I am one happy girl!!! My son is SO happy to have Daddy home.

We ate on the road (road trip) for most of the 10 days we were gone, and I tried to stick LC, but I know I OD'd on sodium and fast food burgers/chicken! Apparently I only gained 1 lb in the last two weeks, so I am very happy. 13 lbs in 30 weeks... YAY. I only worked out twice this week and three times last week.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 07:08

BF:

Well, I'm officially out of work When they first checked my BP on Wednesday, it was 155/105! So they double checked on my other arm since that was SUPER high, and it was 140-something/92, so that was a bit less freaky. Also did an NST, and baby is doing just fine, so that was reassuring. Not working has been a huge adjustment for me, but definitely for the better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzue
Apparently I only gained 1 lb in the last two weeks, so I am very happy. 13 lbs in 30 weeks... YAY.

That is AWESOME! I was doing SO well when low carbing, and as soon as I fell off that wagon, the weight started piling on...
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 10:36

BF:

Quote:
Well, I'm officially out of work When they first checked my BP on Wednesday, it was 155/105! So they double checked on my other arm since that was SUPER high, and it was 140-something/92, so that was a bit less freaky. Also did an NST, and baby is doing just fine, so that was reassuring. Not working has been a huge adjustment for me, but definitely for the better

Yay for no more work. Boo for being SO high! Did they put you on bed rest or any meds?

Quote:
That is AWESOME! I was doing SO well when low carbing, and as soon as I fell off that wagon, the weight started piling on...

I really really hope to keep the next 10 weeks weight gain between 7-10 lbs!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 12:40

BF:

Quote:
Yay for no more work. Boo for being SO high! Did they put you on bed rest or any meds?

Definitely no meds. She used the term bed rest, but honestly, I can't just NOT do anything all day! I think the relief of stress from not having to work will make the biggest difference. She did call me yesterday to let me know that my blood work results all came back "excellent," so no preeclampsia, and she just told me to "take it easy." I go back in on Monday for a BP follow-up. I also have another ultrasound and NST on Monday. If they wanted me on bedrest, they should stop making me come in for so many tests and appointments :P
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 04:53

BF:

Quote:
Definitely no meds. She used the term bed rest, but honestly, I can't just NOT do anything all day! I think the relief of stress from not having to work will make the biggest difference. She did call me yesterday to let me know that my blood work results all came back "excellent," so no preeclampsia, and she just told me to "take it easy." I go back in on Monday for a BP follow-up. I also have another ultrasound and NST on Monday. If they wanted me on bedrest, they should stop making me come in for so many tests and appointments :P

When are you due? I hope this gives you the rest you need Good luck to you- I hope the house stuff goes smoothly- how do you move a house if you're on bed rest???

I had candy last night and now my fingers are swollen and my heartburn some me up at 0500!! I know better too! Water weight and heartburn/nausea
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 08:50

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi guys! Congrats on your pregnancies - sounds like you're both getting pretty close! How exciting!

I'm currently in the 2WW. This is our second cycle of TTC our second kiddo. I already have a 2 year old son. I conceived him on our first try, so I'm already getting impatient since it didn't get pregnant last cycle. This cycle has been insanely wonky, too, so I'm afraid it won't work out. I just ovulated on Fri night/Sat morning, so it's going to be a few weeks until I know. I hate waiting!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 19:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC-Laur
Hi guys! Congrats on your pregnancies - sounds like you're both getting pretty close! How exciting!

I'm currently in the 2WW. This is our second cycle of TTC our second kiddo. I already have a 2 year old son. I conceived him on our first try, so I'm already getting impatient since it didn't get pregnant last cycle. This cycle has been insanely wonky, too, so I'm afraid it won't work out. I just ovulated on Fri night/Sat morning, so it's going to be a few weeks until I know. I hate waiting!

I only had one 2WW too! I got pregnant without trying with my son and got pregnant on the first try with this kiddo. I was miserable the entire two weeks. At 13 dpo, I followed a tray into a patients room because it smelled so deliciously like pickles. She laughed at me when she told me it was one tiny slice on her hamburger. After smelling that and wanting it so badly, I came home and took a test immediately

The 2WW was heck, but don't go too crazy with the testing-- every negative hurts so much and early on they don't really mean much!!!

Good luck to you this cycle! Are you doing Atkins while you TTC?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 19:15

BF:

Woke up and ate GS cookies after my sugar binge last night!!! Caught myself and had a VLC day the rest of the day. Currently baking kale chips so I can shove those in my face if I get hungry tomorrow...

I ate so well these first 30 weeks, I don't want to blow it now.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 19:40

BF:

BP was down to 125/90 today with everything looking normal on NST and ultrasound (38 weeks tomorrow, and baby is estimated to weigh 7 pounds), so doc says I can "stay pregnant" for now But with the diabetes and BP, she won't let me go past 41 weeks. Hoping to go into labor naturally before resorting to an induction, but we shall see.

Lauren - I think you are in my future :P I got pregnant with this one (our first) in my very first cycle off of birth control - I didn't even think I was actually fertile yet and was getting super frustrated that my period wouldn't start because I planned on starting to track my cycles so we could TTC. Well, no tracking required! Now I worry that when we're ready to TTC #2, it will feel like torture in comparison. But, I know we were just incredibly lucky that #1 was so easy for us
Quote:
Woke up and ate GS cookies after my sugar binge last night!!! Caught myself and had a VLC day the rest of the day. Currently baking kale chips so I can shove those in my face if I get hungry tomorrow...

I ate so well these first 30 weeks, I don't want to blow it now.

30 weeks of still sticking with it - that is AWESOME! I actually pretty much gave up even trying for now since I've been off course for so long already. Now that I am home instead of working every day, I actually stocked up on frozen meals (Lean Cuisines and Healthy Choice and stuff). They are FULL of carbs, but I did focus on at least picking ones that are also high in protein. I just figured they're a step up and more financially responsible than eating fast food every day!