Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 14:49
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 156.0/150.6/140.0 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Complete fail for me yesterday - I'm so ashamed! Much better today though so at least that's something.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-12, 11:40

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Hang in there tigerh! One fail does not a Whole29 ruin. What made you go off the rails? Is there anything we can help you out with?
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-12, 16:03
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Sue!

Having just thought about it today, I don't think I've been eating enough. Most days 1 egg for late breakfast, some pork rinds (maybe a large handful). Homemade meat and veg soup and an apple for lunch. A couple of bowls of soup or meat and veg for dinner and another apple and maybe some dark chocolate, which I am having trouble resisting as I'm still hungry!

Tomorrow, I think 3 eggs and a spoon of coconut oil for breakfast which should be a bit better. I'll have more of a think about what to bring to work for lunch and how to get more fat into my meals so I feel fuller and not hungry for fruit.

I might need to give the apples up, but that'll be something to tackle once I start getting more fat in my meals, perhaps.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-12, 20:58
Registered Member

Plan: Primal, leptin reset
Stats: 178/163/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Just finished my 6th day in a row at work. 74.5 hours of night shift in 6 days. Whew! Glad its over. Still on track foodwise for the most part. (I take extra vitamins on nights and that included 2 sweetened vitamin c tablets) Whatever. I will fast for tonight (last ate midnight the 8th) and will have a large breakfast the morning of the ninth. I avoid eating before bed and converting back to days creates a fasting day every 7 days. Hunger is minimal and transient.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 06:44

Tigerh, I'm sure you're right. Would you consider adding some bacon to your eggs, or some other kind of meat? That's a really good way to up the fat. I eat a HUGE salad at lunch, and add sunflower and pumpkin seeds to it, use olive oil as a dressing, and I'm amazed at how well that holds me through the afternoon. Definitely more fat is the way to go!

On a totally different note, I wish that the fat consumption would be reflected in my skin...I have very dry skin. Maybe it would be worse if I DIDN'T eat the fat? I don't know. When I get out of the shower I have to slather my body in baby oil, otherwise I'll itch all day.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 08:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue333
Tigerh, I'm sure you're right. Would you consider adding some bacon to your eggs, or some other kind of meat?

Good idea, however if there's meat in the house (and definitely true for bacon) it doesn't last very long! I could try it, though - I'll get extra this weekend. I've been reading around so much lately I was getting a bit paranoid about having too much protein and then I looked at Protein Power last night and I'm paranoid about not getting enough The salad sounds delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue333
On a totally different note, I wish that the fat consumption would be reflected in my skin...I have very dry skin. Maybe it would be worse if I DIDN'T eat the fat? I don't know. When I get out of the shower I have to slather my body in baby oil, otherwise I'll itch all day.

Funny you should say this, I've had a dry, itchy scalp the last couple of weeks, even after extra fatty roasts and coconut oil from the spoon - what's happening?! My partial solution last night was to rub coconut oil into my scalp and leave it for an hour before washing my hair. The itch is a lot better today but not entirely gone.
Is it bad all year round or worse in the winter?
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 19:15
Registered Member

BF:

OK folks. I guess I will have to be the one person to eat something off plan. I have been battling a GI bug since Wednesday/Thursday. I have never vomited this much in my entire life. After a day of tolerating water my BP was 80's/30's (now better) and my HR is still 120's (down from 140's) I have been taking care of my 3 kids, who all are sick with the same thing, and hubby had it to but is now better.

I have tried to eat little bits of soft food but as it passes down it feels like I am digesting broken glass. If I move too suddenly or bend over I gag. I have not eaten anything substantial since Tuesday around 5pm. I feel like I am starving.

The only thing that sounds remotely good is a California roll of some sort. Nothing fatty as I am sure I do not have much digestive enzymes left in my body at this point. I am also craving the salt from the soy sauce. (I am positive my electrolytes are messed up)

I am desperate for some kind of sustenance. I just want something mild and easy to digest. I need to get my stomach used to food again. Hopefully this will help some, then I will get right back on track. Normally I don't let things like this get to me. But I feel sick/terrible, have no energy and I can see that I am loosing way to fast at this point. I also have 3 kids I need to care for.

So here is my confession. I will not make it through the February challenge completely. It is so strange to be so hungry but so repulsed by food. It has been nearly 6 days.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 20:29
Registered Member

BF:

Ok, the above said damage is done. My husband bought me a teriyaki salmon combo which included a generous portion of teriaki salmon, 5 tempura pieces, small salad with carrot ginger dressing, tofu miso soup, small side of california roll (minus cream cheese), and a side of plain rice. He also bought me a side order of some kind of sushi role with sweet eel seaweed and veggies.

My 2 daughters (also sick and starving) ate the tempura, 1/3 each of the rice, a piece each of my California roll and a few bites each of my salmon.

I had 4 pieces of my California roll, most of the salmon, few bites of salad and two pieces of the eel roll and all of the miso soup.

I still have 1/3 of the rice and most of the eel roll left over for tomorrow. I will probably share that with the girls if all goes well tonight. Hope we all can at least hold our food down.

Oh, and my husband and son are feeling better. They ate fresh sushi at the restaurant while they waited for my salmon dinner.

Last edited by WebfootPDX : Mon, Feb-13-12 at 20:39.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 21:55

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I would have had a hard time if I got sick too! Have you tried homemade broth/bone stock? I just made a big batch to throw in the freezer to have on hand.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 11:04
Registered Member

BF:

I actually did have some HM chicken stock. Made it into a chicken veggie soup. The broth made me feel ill as it had a similar note in it that reminded me of the salty stuff I threw up after the bile (TMI) I tried it is soup form and was reminiscent of digesting broken glass. Noodles we later added for the children and they at the soup. (I hate food waste) Also tried some unsweetened (nothing added) applesauce, that hurt too.

The broth itself was not enough food for what I had going on.

Today I am still burping up what I ate a 6pm the night before. My GI motility is not that high anyways. I need to get some probiotics to hive me a jump-start.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 10:33

Well WebfootPDX, I hear ya! I have a HORRIBLE cold right now, and I have to drag myself in to work although I really should be home in bed! (As an aside...I HATE all those articles that go on about sick employees showing up to work and making everyone else sick...someone please tell my administration, OK? Until they get on board, we're all coming in to work sick, because the fall out just isn't worth it)

Rant over...gee, that was building up, sorry about that!

Anyway, yes, back to eating off plan when sick...I think we return to what always comforted us and tasted good to us. I'm not one to judge, I just hope you're feeling better!

I ate off plan too yesterday...was just so bloody sick and TIRED and that's when I lose it. Had an egg salad sandwich on evil bread, and man it went down a treat. Have to battle cravings today though, that's the real fall out.

I hope you are all back on track to health! It's terrible when Mom is sick and kids are sick too...so much work! Hang in there!
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 14:20
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Sue. I work for a large heath care system. They give every employee 5 sick days a year and they bully you if you are even getting close to reaching that. What really gets me is that the nurse working triage in the ED has as many allotted sick days as somebody working in a relatively sheltered cubicle somewhere. Where I work, there are some REAL bad bugs too. Thankfully I got sick the second day of an 8 day off stretch. (I am back on 6 nights in a row tomorrow). What a waste of days off I tell you.

I have not puked in a few days. My stomach is still tore up. I have been back to eating on plan since that one meal. My planned "cheat" consisted only of 1/2 cup rice, 2tsp soy sauce, 1tbsp teriyaki sauce (she makes it herself), maybe 4 small cubes tofu, and whatever is in the miso soup. The Japanese place is VERY mom and pop, and they make most everything from simple ingredients.

Another confession. I brought out the scale because I have been so sick and not eating. I am down to 155lbs. This is after I re hydrated. I think you can see why I felt like I was starving. I can still hardly eat much due to stomach discomfort.

Nothing like a GI bug to kick off some weight loss Anybody wanna come over?
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 21:16

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Forget that Webfoot , but I am glad you are feeling better!! I had more than my fill of GI and illness last month... giardia, lower respiratory, some other intestinal bug, then upper respiratory. Too bad when I got my round of vomiting I was already drinking broth, I haven't been able to use broth since then, ha ha. Just do what you have to do to feel better, sometimes that means some simple carbs (man, I sure was grateful for potato chips when I was getting over my sick!!)

February has been a little bit hit and miss for me. I'm not doing too bad, just finding it very difficult to stay out of the sour cream. Forget giving up the coffee for now, I now consider that feat an elevated aspiration that I am just not willing to accomplish at this point.

I've been waking up pretty early the past couple weeks and have started eating my first meal some time in the AM, before it wasn't till 2 or 3. I thought I may have had a whoosh last week, but am now wondering if I perhaps have gained it back with the extra earlier meal.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 21:35

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Anyone still doing Whole30? I started mine on Ash Wednesday. I'll be posting some recipes to my blog: greenhsv.wordpress.com. It's going ok but I miss my yogurt and cottage cheese!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-12, 02:39

Well folks, my February Whole 29 was pretty much a fail after the first two weeks. The first two weeks were GREAT, no problems, could tell the weight was coming off, and then BOOM, my entire upper body flared up in a dreadful rash that I am now seeing dermatologists and allergists for...on massive doses of prednisone, and I've GAINED 12 LBS! OMG! I'm NOT overeating, it's water weight. Very depressing. Trying to stay positive. Definitely staying on plan.