Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-12, 08:07

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%
Default February Whole 29 Challenge

Most of us probably know what the Whole 30 Challenge is...I'm doing a February "Whole 29," to reflect the fact that this February has 29 days. I did Whole30 last July and lost 10lbs in a month. It was FANTASTIC, but yes, admittedly, took some planning and willpower to avoid those occasional times when I wanted a glass of wine, or a piece of cheese. Would anyone care to join me? I'll post my stats on Feb. 1 and again on Feb. 29, and see how this goes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-12, 09:26

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

It's time for me to clean up again. I've let cheese and splenda creep back into my daily intake. I'd like to take another run at ditching the coffee. I've also been feeling a little off since I came back from vacation, I'm worried I may not be able to eat any meat that is fed with any kind of grain at all, hopefully I can peg it down with a new challenge.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-12, 09:35

BF:

January 31st will be my "Mardi Gras"
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 08:19

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

I'm really glad you're on board mfish! Let's plan on having a fantastic month. I'm also making an effort to find grass fed meat too! I'm also going to have one new kind of meat per week. I'm going to try liver! OMG! I can also get bison here.

mfish, just looking at your stats....CONGRATULATIONS! You totally rock.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 08:24

Plan: Divinely Mine
Stats: 223.8/222.8/170.0 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 2%

This is the first time I've joined a challenge month - but I'm willing to try...... And if we start off with chicken livers and beef liver, then I'm ahead - just bought those two. Want to attemp making chicken pate, and something else with the beef liver. (never have before, glad hubby will be willing to eat the goofs)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 10:10

BF:

Thanks Sue333!

We are really looking forward to buying a 1/2 beef, except our deep freeze is still pretty full so I need to get through all of the meat in there first. Bison is one of my favorites. As a kid I loathed the taste of liver but was able to try it fresh and grass fed while in Mexico. The flavor was extremely mild and a little salty on its own, it really didn't taste like liver at all! I much prefer it raw, keep in mind the more you cook it the stronger the flavor gets. I highly recommend grass fed liver over grain, worlds of difference between the two.

My favorite "organ" meat is beef cheekmeat. It is very fatty and gelatinous, the last time I cooked it I used it in the "Primal Chili" recipe on MDA and it was fantastic.

Welcome to the challenge, Krystalcat

I am hoping to find some organic chicken livers. I want to try making some mousse or pate recipes since my little guy is finally eating solids. Eating chicken livers will be a first for me, the only experience I have with them was using them for bait while catfishing.

I'm looking forward to posting menus and recipes each day so I can keep myself accountable and on track!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 10:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/181/130 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 42%

I would love to join this challenge. What exactly does that mean? Just posting the results on Feb 1st & Feb 29th? I need something....I had been so good but seem to be in a slump lately.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: Primal, leptin reset
Stats: 178/163/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

I am willing to do a Whole 30, minus the grass fed and organic part. I have three kids and a husband to feed and I don't have the extra $$. If that can still be a whole 30 then I will give it a go.

My biggest things to give up will be butter, Jif peanut butter, and the occasional (1Xweek) coffee with splash of milk. For the most part I am pretty paleo. These three things are the only non paleo things I have eating since christmas. (doing the Jack Kruse leptin reset week 5) and I am feeling great!

So far what has been working is a big protein breakfast with maybe 1/2 avocado, Lunch is more like a snack (but technically not a snack) maybe a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit like a small apple/orange/banana/berries, and dinner is smallish meat and veggie. I eat no sooner than 5 hours apart, and 1/3 the time I skip lunch or dinner (driven by appetite). I do not eat within 5 hours of sleep and ABSOLUTELY NO snacking whatsoever. I drink unsweetened tea and water all day (no calories). That's it!

Just need to give up those 3 things.

Will this count as a Whole 30?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 20:05

BF:

Welcome, Ryevels Ma and WebfootPDX

Most of us take our weights and/or measurements at the beginning of the challenge and then again at the end. Part of the challenge is putting the scale away for the month.

Here is a link to the latest Whole 30 guidelines:

The Whole30, Version 5.12
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 20:43

Plan: Paleo/Atkins
Stats: 206/179/130 Female 5'5.5''
BF:
Progress: 36%

I'm in! Thanks for starting the thread, I've been faffing around thinking about doing one of these challenges for awhile but conveniently keep missing all the good start dates (which is no excuse!)

I don't eat grains or legumes anyway, or even much dairy, but giving up butter and cream cheese (and the scale for that matter) will be tough. I was going to do so for Lent, this gives me a head start :-)
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 22:07
Registered Member

BF:

Are we to post daily menus or just how we are doing (from within)? I am unsure of how to participate in a challenge thread.

Today:
Breakfast: MASSIVE (3-4 cups?) bowl of tripe cooked by me similar to minudo without corn. (tripe, paprika(lots), chili powder, minced garlic, and salt) Very simple, mostly tripe very little broth.

Late lunch: large fistful of raw/unroasted brazil nuts, and a chilled luscious perfectly ripe bartlet pear OMG!.

Not hungry for dinner.

Oh, and I put my scale in my closet.

Last edited by WebfootPDX : Sun, Jan-29-12 at 22:20.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 18:15

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I am interested, but I'll have to start a little later. I'm taking my oldest daughter on a band trip next weekend, and I don't want to be a spoil sport about food. Is coffee off-limits? I thought we could have black coffee.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 19:26
Registered Member

BF:

I think I read on the link posted above that black coffee is ok. I think the challenge is supposed to start in February, I am starting now because there is no time like the present.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 19:32

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Good for you, Webfoot! I've been following the Primal diet since Jan 2. I've enjoyed eating all whole foods. It really hasn't been a struggle at all. However I do still find myself craving sweets, like yogurt and fruit sweetened with stevia, or a stevia-sweetened mock danish. I also thought the Whole 30 plan might be even more anti-inflammatory.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 19:43
Registered Member

BF:

I think it is supposed to be. Would be good to stay away from nightshades too if inflammation reduction is your goal.

I am doing the whole 30 just to give it a go and see what happens(for the fun of it?). I am not convinced I will stay on it after the challange. I will most likely be staying with the primal lifestyle. Will be getting back into exercise when it gets a bit warmer.

Last edited by WebfootPDX : Mon, Jan-30-12 at 19:54.