Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-16, 05:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/141/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

How do you know your fat ratios from carbs? sorry, new to this, its only been a little over a week for me. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-16, 06:39

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Care to elaborate?
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-16, 07:00

Stats: 139/141/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

How to calculate if your fat is 65% from you calories
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-16, 07:07

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Fat has 9 calories per gram. So total calories = a.

Fat grams s/b a X .65/9.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-16, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia14
How to calculate if your fat is 65% from you calories

Well you have to be tracking your food intake somehow and then it depends how pedantic you want to be. But the basic principle is that if you know the mass of each item of food you have consumed and you know the macronutrient content of each item of food you can aggregate your total daily consumption of carbs, protein, fat and calories. I do it this way because I find it interesting but it takes a fair amount of effort and I'm sure not everyone has the time or patience for this. But maybe there are some easier short-cut methods that some else can suggest.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-16, 07:59

Or, total calories = a.

Fat grams s/b a X .65/9.

I admire the heck out of you, Bintang. But I would run away screaming from that level of detail, myownself. I COULD do it, and maybe the reason I don't wanna is that I HAD to, decades ago in nursing school.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-16, 08:09
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

If you use a tracking app or site, or myplan on this site and it will work out the percentages for you if you input what you've eaten and how much of it.
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-16, 02:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Or, total calories = a.

Fat grams s/b a X .65/9.

I admire the heck out of you, Bintang. But I would run away screaming from that level of detail, myownself. I COULD do it, and maybe the reason I don't wanna is that I HAD to, decades ago in nursing school.

That's ok. Sounds like you are normal.
Apart from being a bit obsessive I guess the other reason I do it is that I had so much failure over the previous 15 years faithfully following the 'standard approach' of low-fat low low-calories (plus exercising) that I want to understand exactly what I am doing and if it goes wrong perhaps the data will enable me to figure out why. So far though there are no signs of it going wrong. In fact it is going beautifully.
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-16, 08:51

Your stats bear out the "going beautifully". WELL DONE!
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-16, 00:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Tracking can be an astonishing tool.

Coming from years of low fat & exercise myself, it was a revelation to see how much fat was in my Atkins diet, and how good it made me feel. This was only accelerated when I went gluten free, healed my gut, and found my true level for fiber tolerance. Which is low.

Having all the categories in black and white numbers helped me visualize what was on my plate, and make better food decisions.
  #101   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-16, 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Tracking can be an astonishing tool.

Agreed. I think a big benefit is that it can help you to gradually optimise your choice and quantity of specific foods. For the first 3 months I was on LC I was actually eating about 125g/d of carbs, which a lot of people wouldn't regard as low carb. One reason for this was sort of psychological.

It took me a while to adjust to the idea of eating very high amounts of fat - I guess because I had been brainwashed for so long about how 'bad they are'. Initially I could not imagine breakfast without some kind of cereal or bread so I continued to have some but in smaller servings.

Nonetheless I got results probably because even 125g/d carbs was a huge reduction relative to my previous eating habits. Gradually though I learned how to eliminate certain foods and modify my menus until I reduced carbs down to around 70 to 80g/d. I know this would still be high for some people but it seems to be ok for me. I enjoy the slightly greater range of food choices this gives me than if I had to go lower to say less than 50g/d. But the tracking has been hugely helpful for achieving this and it becomes easier as time goes by.
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-16, 06:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bintang

It took me a while to adjust to the idea of eating very high amounts of fat - I guess because I had been brainwashed for so long about how 'bad they are'. Initially I could not imagine breakfast without some kind of cereal or bread so I continued to have some but in smaller servings.

This is a very familiar dynamic for many of us due to just that, brainwashing. Once the results prove you won't expire due to excessive fat consumption, you're home free!
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-16, 08:52

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 184.4/134.6/135 Female 5'3"
BF:32.8/23.9
Progress: 101%

I know I am getting the right amount of fat when I can move my bowels every day comfortably. When I do not get enough I have difficulty. I know TMI but it works for me! LOL
  #104   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 21:58
Registered Member

Plan: Keto/IF/LCarb
Stats: 208/175/142 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enaid
I know I am getting the right amount of fat when I can move my bowels every day comfortably. When I do not get enough I have difficulty. I know TMI but it works for me! LOL

Hi Enaid ~ I can relate as I sometimes have issues in that area. I drink water, but maybe not enough. Ugh! It could be that I haven't been consuming enough fat or IBS? I thought I was fat adapted? Still don't quite get that concept.

Have a good night!

Last edited by Star123 : Sun, May-20-18 at 22:23.
  #105   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 22:03
Registered Member

Plan: Keto/IF/LCarb
Stats: 208/175/142 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
This is a very familiar dynamic for many of us due to just that, brainwashing. Once the results prove you won't expire due to excessive fat consumption, you're home free!

Rob ~ I had been brainwashed for several years thinking fat was bad for you. Some of my family members still think that way. Their excuse is that Robert Atkins died of a heart disease that was caused by his diet. It was found to be false and later refuted. Here is a link about the truth of his death ~ http://www.verywellfit.com/how-did-atkins-die-2241657
I would always ask myself, what does that got to do with it? I have had to overcome that way-of-thinking, since I found the ketogenic diet beginning of this year 2018. I have learned that consuming the good fats is good for your gut and metobolic system. Fat satisfies most cravings and helps keep our bowls moving efficiently.

Last edited by Star123 : Sun, May-20-18 at 22:31.