Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 07:36
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Twinkies maker Hostess Brands files for bankruptcy protection

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 09:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

FTFA:
Quote:
Twinkies fans shouldn't fret, however. The privately held Irving, Texas bakery company says it will be able to maintain routine operations thanks to a $75 million financing commitment from a group of lenders.

What's intrigued me is that nobody else wants to buy this company.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 10:11

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

It's a ploy to rip the workers/retired workers off of the pension money they have accumulated. If I say much more, I'll be getting too political, I'm afraid.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 10:53

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Anyone watch Zombieland? One of our "heros" is on a quest for a Twinkie. It's pretty funny!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 11:34

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
It's a ploy to rip the workers/retired workers off of the pension money they have accumulated. If I say much more, I'll be getting too political, I'm afraid.

Nobody eats wonder bread and twinkies the way they did 30 years ago. Wonder (or other sponge-like regional brands) used to be fairly common breakfast food -- it ain't so any more. In today's world of whole grain wholesomeness, I don't think there would be a bread company that would want to associate Hostess with their name.

The way I see it the union got fat off refined grain and now the growth as stopped. The company has to deal with it one way or the other. I don't see why they can't successfully expand into the honey, nut, whole wheat nonsense.

Nobody looks towards Hostess when they want really good bagels, croissants, or any kind of interesting bread. The world has changed.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 12:13
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Maybe a merger with Little Debbie is in order?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 12:28

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

I still hear the call from days past of Wonder Bread with peanut butter and homemade jam; also with baloney, Miracle Whip, and lettuce. Sigh!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 12:29

As ICDogg pointed out, Hostess Brands is saddled with a lot of pension obligations. I can't imagine who'd want to buy (or merge with) that. The brand names might be worth something, but you can buy that intellectual property in bankruptcy proceedings.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 13:34

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
As ICDogg pointed out, Hostess Brands is saddled with a lot of pension obligations. I can't imagine who'd want to buy (or merge with) that. The brand names might be worth something, but you can buy that intellectual property in bankruptcy proceedings.
There is a great new book out by Ellen Schultz of the Wall Street Journal: Retirement Heist: How Companies Plunder and Profit from the Nest Eggs of American Workers which makes an amazing point that it's actual corporate greed and not pension obligations that causes huge cuts and eliminations of pensions to the "small guy". After reading that book I feel like saying that "corporationss are drowning under pension obligations" is about as acurate as saying "eat a low fat vegan diet and exercise hard as a key to good health".

Even when I was a kid 50 years ago I *loathed* Twinkies. Thought then and still think they are disgusting. But I admit I did love the Ho-Hos and Ding Dongs, and those Hostess cupcakes with the little squiggle of icing across the top and the "creme" filling. I like to think parents are more discerning these days, but I still see a lot of cr*p in gorcery carts when I go to the store.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 15:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg

Ah yes, not the first time that has happened, unfortunately.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 16:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
I *loathed* Twinkies. Thought then and still think they are disgusting. But I admit I did love the Ho-Hos and Ding Dongs

Awww, I'm getting all nostalgic. I loved these, too, but my favorite were the "fruit" pies. Probably had no fruit at all, but the fried dough crust were sheer heaven to me on my walk home from school.
Quote:
it's actual corporate greed and not pension obligations that causes huge cuts and eliminations of pensions to the "small guy"

I feel sorry for all the workers either way. So many jobs going away- how can people make a living here anymore?!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 16:45

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

One of the things on my Bucket List was to try a fried Twinkie. I know I shouldn't.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 16:48

Plan: low carb
Stats: 259/162.4/155 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Those poor workers.... losing their pension $ and they probably have been out of insurance for quite a while now due to lack of payment.
This is why unions (at least ours) now require a bond to secure the companies payments.
This way when the company defaults..... the workers are taken care of.

Of coarse they want to slime their way out of that debt.
Wonder what bonuses the executives got last year
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 17:12

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
One of the things on my Bucket List was to try a fried Twinkie. I know I shouldn't.

I did try one once -- loathsome. But I never thought much of twinkies in the first place.

However, this year I tried fried mac and cheese for the first time. After eating low carb for years, I didn't think it worth it. It was mostly bread coating. Simple fried cheese alone has much more flavor - especially if you use bacon fat.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
There is a great new book out by Ellen Schultz of the Wall Street Journal: Retirement Heist: How Companies Plunder and Profit from the Nest Eggs of American Workers which makes an amazing point that it's actual corporate greed and not pension obligations that causes huge cuts and eliminations of pensions to the "small guy". After reading that book I feel like saying that "corporationss are drowning under pension obligations" is about as acurate as saying "eat a low fat vegan diet and exercise hard as a key to good health".

You must be loads of fun at parties.

But seriously, thanks for the book reco. I need something to read on my upcoming trip.